Author Topic: The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)  (Read 20517 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
The 10 Priorities (from Biggest Job)
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 08:46:45 PM »
Priority #3
Attitude Over Aptitude

Our current educational system is preoccupied with innate talent, thus we set up a "pecking order" as well as debilitating morale among our young people. When we ask high school students, "Are there kids at your school who do little or no work, but make the honor roll?" the answer is always a resounding "yes." It should not come as a surprise that many of our students are more preoccupied with reaching the top, rather than how to reach their best with integrity. Others may choose to "opt out" and sabotage their own educations. If our schools and communities valued attitude over aptitude, effort over ability and character over talent, we might see a decrease in lying, cheating, and stealing. We definitely would all be better off. We might even develop positive aptitudes over the long term.

Revised Version:
    The Hyde "educational" system is preoccupied with conformity to the Hyde-determined social milieu, hence it has set up a pecking order as well as debilitating morale amongst young people who attend. When we ask Hyde School students, "Are there kids at your school who do little or no work, yet are rewarded for their so-called 'good attitude?'" the answer is always a resounding "yes." It should not come as a surprise that many of these students are more preoccupied with conforming to Hyde's expectations, than they are in striving for their best with integrity. Others choose to "opt out" and even sabotage their own educations by finishing them elsewhere. If Hyde Schools and communities
truly valued authenticity over mere pandering, integrity over conformity, and genuine scholarship over undirected effort, we might see a decrease in the lying, cheating, and stealing. We would definitely all be better off. We might even nurture some positive attitudes over the long term.[/list]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2007, 02:31:58 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
What I have observed is in the dynamic of groups that I have been apart of Truth and Harmony are poles. Not opposite but when one is veered to it is sometimes to the detriment of the other. If I am on a team or leading a team, I need to consider the goal of the team as the context of feedback I give to my team members also the overall effect of the feedback on the individual.

The relation that truth bears to harmony is that of means to end. Of course, here one has to be careful to distinguish between individual harmony and collective harmony, as you started to do in your football example. A team captain who nails a teammate for a slack performance values truth over individual harmony. He values truth not as an end in itself but as a means of restoring collective (team) harmony. "Truth" over individual harmony, but collective harmony over "truth."

"Truth," for the sake of collective harmony, easily degenerates into the Gauld-given right to persecute anyone who doesn't jump on the Hyde bandwagon. The label "truth" is one of Hyde's many abuses of language. Their most elevating and comforting words are only pretense and delusion! That was one of the most instructive periods of my life -- learning not to accept words at face value. It was very educating for my whole life.

So to the extent that the truth is knowable, and I believe that extent is described to a large degree by the Pragmatists, the truth is that the Truth does not always work.

If you want to talk about Truth with a capital T and shed some light on Hyde, you might look into utilitarianism. Utilitarianism's highest imperative is that one do what is best for society. It was originated by Jeremy Bentham in the nineteenth century. Bentham's conception of utilitarianism is now called "act rationality." Young Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment killed the old moneylender because she was a bane on society, and because her money could be put to better social uses. Raskolnikov was a Benthamite. But no one wants a philosophy that sanctions murder. So John Stuart Mill came up with "rule rationality." There might be something in utilitarianism that is of relevance to Hyde.

Spok

Thanks I will do some pursuing on utilitarianism as part of my hobby as an amateur epistemologist

"Damn it Jim! I'm a doctor not a epistimologist!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_McCoy

You'll have to forgive my preference for Spok. He was a highly intelligent, highly alienated guy, with circumcised ears.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2007, 10:22:39 AM »
Onwards to the next one. More "simplistic charm," although the clarity leaves a lot to be desired... Do people actually pay to take parenting lessons from this organization? I guess they must at least require you to buy the book. I imagine there is a great deal of pressure on Hyde parents to buy the book as well. I seem to recall a previous poster noting that it was "required reading." That must be painful. Otherwise, I just don't know how...

============================

Priority #4
Set High Expectations And Let Go Of The Outcomes

Discipline alone will not raise our children to go after their dreams. We need to set the expectations high. Many parents control their children through their own high expectations, only to lower the bar to relieve the tension. We can reach a point when we reward our children for basic decent behavior. Setting high expectations is critical, but letting go of our vision for the outcome allows our children to take responsibility for their actions.

Offline Ed Legg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2007, 12:21:40 PM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
Onwards to the next one.  More "simplistic charm," although the clarity leaves a lot to be desired... Do people actually pay to take parenting lessons from this organization?  I guess they must at least require you to buy the book.  I imagine there is a great deal of pressure on Hyde parents to buy the book as well.  I seem to recall a previous poster noting that it was "required reading."  That must be painful.  Otherwise, I just don't know how...

Priority #4

Discipline alone will not raise our children to go after their dreams. We need to set the expectations high. Many parents control their children through their own high expectations, only to lower the bar to relieve the tension. We can reach a point when we reward our children for basic decent behavior. Setting high expectations is critical, but letting go of our vision for the outcome allows our children to take responsibility for their actions.

Y'all should see this is perfectly clear.  This is one of the things I started at Hyde.  Joe was all screwed up on this one until I gave him that book by that Lebanese fella. "Your children are not children"  which I understand may actually be literally true of some alums.  

Peace and Love from Kennebunkport
i]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 12:30:32 PM »
Onwards to the next one.  More "simplistic charm," although the clarity leaves a lot to be desired... Do people actually pay to take parenting lessons from this organization?  I guess they must at least require you to buy the book.  I imagine there is a great deal of pressure on Hyde parents to buy the book as well.  I seem to recall a previous poster noting that it was "required reading."  That must be painful.  Otherwise, I just don't know how...

Priority #4

Let's expect Malcolm and Laura to win the Nobel Prize for literature and graciously accept their inevitable failure.

I happen to know a Nobel Prize winner. Here's what he told an interviewer about his parents' influence:

Q: "Maybe it's a good point to ask you, in retrospect, who are the
people who have most influenced your life?"

A: "First of all my family: parents, brother, wife, children, grandchildren. My great-grandchild has not yet had a specific important influence on me; he is all of one and a half. But that will come also. My students have influenced me greatly. All my teachers. Beyond that, to pick out one person in the family, just one: my mother, who was an extraordinary person. She got a bachelor's degree in England in 1914, at a time when that was very unusual for women. She was a medal-winning long-distance swimmer, sang Shubert lieder while accompanying herself on the piano, introduced us children to nature, music, reading. We would walk the streets and she would teach us the names of the trees. At night we looked at the sky and she taught us the names of the constellations. When I was about twelve, we started reading Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities together, until the book gripped me and I raced ahead alone. From then on, I read voraciously. She always encouraged, always pushed us along, gently, unobtrusively, always allowed us to make our own decisions. Of course parents always have an influence, but she was unusual."

His parents were struggling immigrants in America, but they worked very hard in order to provide him with an excellent high school and university education. They nurtured him, but there was no overt pressure from them.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2007, 01:10:06 AM »
They nurtured him, but there was no overt pressure from them.

Nurturing, yet no overt pressure.  What a unique concept  (to Hyde).  I can't imagine a more pressure-filled, moral judgment-laden place than Hyde.  And that's what kids who come out of there are initially like:  under a lot of pressure, laden with moral judgments, whether or not they are deemed a "success" by Hyde standards.  

One tends to internalize a lot of their outlook and mindset, at least for a while, whether one likes it or not...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2007, 02:55:28 AM »
They nurtured him, but there was no overt pressure from them.

Nurturing, yet no overt pressure.  What a unique concept  (to Hyde).  I can't imagine a more pressure-filled, moral judgment-laden place than Hyde.  And that's what kids who come out of there are initially like:  under a lot of pressure, laden with moral judgments, whether or not they are deemed a "success" by Hyde standards.  

One tends to internalize a lot of their outlook and mindset, at least for a while, whether one likes it or not...

To say nothing of the lack of a solid educational component. You can plant a daisy in the desert and expect it to grow: it won't.  

Back in the seventies I was lucky to have college recommendations from Legg (Harvard), Warren (Yale), and Hawley (Columbia). Hyde still had some academic clout then. But those fellows have been replaced by "mentors" such as Larry Dubinsky, who as I recall was the class idiot. I don't imagine Hyde students succeed or even make it into competitive academic programs anymore.

Not that the efforts of Legg, Warren, and Hawley had adequately prepared me for college. By no means. I was intellectually at sea and had to work, literally, sixteen hours a day to make up for the deficit. I don't attribute my success to Hyde's motivational exercises but to my own knowledge of the consequences of failure.

Offline Ed Legg

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2007, 07:50:27 AM »
Not that the efforts of Legg, Warren, and Hawley

Now you know how interested I was in you as a student.   I take great umbrage at your remark.   Of course I prepared y'all.  I taught you haw to work like a dog and Hyde gave you the character to do it.

Peace and Love
i]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 09:09:07 AM »
Back in the seventies I was lucky to have college recommendations from Legg (Harvard), Warren (Yale), and Hawley (Columbia). Hyde still had some academic clout then. But those fellows have been replaced by "mentors" such as Larry Dubinsky, who as I recall was the class idiot. I don't imagine Hyde students succeed or even make it into competitive academic programs anymore.

You bring up an interesting point.  Make that plural.  First, the importance of the "old boy network" that Hyde relied on to accomplish what it did not do as far as providing an adequate education.  

Second, that this generation of educators relied on their own education and upbringing as a resource for what little academic value that managed to trickle through the ideological pounding.  Had this generation been brought up on a "Hyde education" themselves, they would have had far less to offer.

Since we are now dealing with a subsequent generation of "Hyde educators," many of which rely on a "Hyde education" as their resource, what trickles through is all that more diluted in substance and deficient in standards.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2007, 10:25:48 AM »
Geez Louise... For some time now, I have noticed that the wording in these "Priorities" is not exactly what one might deem "professional caliber." I should talk, right? Well, I'm not the one who has the website. You would think that with all those millions they rake in from their marks, not to mention the financial acumen of their so-called benefactor Flexible-Telling, that they could afford an editor... "Often, success and failure are one in the same-the lessons learned in both are important." Yikes! I do believe they meant to say "one and the same," a common enough saying, not to mention that the sentence does not make any sense otherwise. But... I guess they consider this a prime example of attitude over aptitude, right? Ha! I consider this a prime example of the shoddy workmanship and mediocre educational standards that Hyde tries to pass off as "meaningful."

Priority #5
Value Success And Failure

As a society, we do not place much value on failure. Our generation, in particular, has a hard time letting its children struggle. Often, success and failure are one in the same-the lessons learned in both are important. When we let our children fail, we show them that we believe they are capable of learning what is necessary. We also need to share more of our struggles and failures with them. Think about something you might have perceived as a failure early in your life that later became an important lesson for you. Our children need those same moments of learning.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2007, 10:38:31 AM »
Our generation, in particular, has a hard time letting its children struggle.

Ok.  Put your money where your mouth is.  Fire all of Joe's kids and see if they can make a living.[/url]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 10:49:51 AM »
Our generation, in particular, has a hard time letting its children struggle.

Ok.  Put your money where your mouth is.  Fire all of Joe's kids and see if they can make a living.

Think they can?  That generation doesn't even know what the real world smells like.  Now their kids are getting ready to consider that foray...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »
Priority #5
Value Success And Failure

As a society, we do not place much value on failure. Our generation, in particular, has a hard time letting its children struggle. Often, success and failure are one in the same-the lessons learned in both are important. When we let our children fail, we show them that we believe they are capable of learning what is necessary. We also need to share more of our struggles and failures with them. Think about something you might have perceived as a failure early in your life that later became an important lesson for you. Our children need those same moments of learning.

Learn from your mistakes. Deep and original.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 11:50:53 AM »
Learn from your mistakes. Deep and original.

Quote from: ""Priority #5""
Think about something you might have perceived as a failure early in your life that later became an important lesson for you.

Think about something that Hyde might have perceived as a failure early on in its existence that later became...

:beat:  Oh, wait. There were no "failures" on Hyde's part. Only kids who did not live up to their potentials of their own volition... So... no important lessons to learn, I guess.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2007, 12:08:51 PM »
Has Hyde ever admitted to any failures or wrongdoing publically or privately?