Author Topic: Aspen Education Group on Fornits Wiki  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Aspen Education Group on Fornits Wiki
« on: August 12, 2007, 03:37:55 PM »
I have created a sub-category for the company, where the facilities and programs will appear.

Aspen Category
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Bunnie

• View Profile
Youth Care =Aspen
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 05:46:27 PM »
Youth Care Is a Aspen Program, they recently had a death there.
not all the details have come out yet.
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=22179

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Re: Aspen Education Group on Fornits Wiki
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:43:59 PM »
Quote from: ""Covergaard""
I have created a sub-category for the company, where the facilities and programs will appear.

Aspen Category

Just passing by and I was reading your categories and you refer to the kids as being detained or detainees.  I stopped reading any further because it is not language they use in the US to describe kids in school and gives off the feel of being a mockumentary of some sort.  I spent most of my life in the US.  Parents or readers will not take you seriously unless you word it differently or try to make it more factual.
Technically you are correct, all kids are detained somewhere either at home or away until age 18, but if you want to be taken seriously and have people read further into your page I would suggest changing the wording a bit.  Maybe something like “Mandatory attendanceâ€

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 07:51:59 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
Quote from: ""Covergaard""

Aspen Category

Just passing by and I was reading your categories and you refer to the kids as being detained or detainees.  I stopped reading any further because it is not language they use in the US to describe kids in school and gives off the feel of being a mockumentary of some sort.  I spent most of my life in the US.  Parents or readers will not take you seriously unless you word it differently or try to make it more factual.
Technically you are correct, all kids are detained somewhere either at home or away until age 18, but if you want to be taken seriously and have people read further into your page I would suggest changing the wording a bit.  Maybe something like “Mandatory attendanceâ€
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 04:17:46 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 09:48:17 AM »
Well, I see your point, but student is typically referred to kids of a certain age.  Doesn’t mean they need to be signed up for a formal education.  Many of these kids are homeschooled and the parents are not looking for anything accredited because it is not what they are use to.   When my kids attend martial arts the teacher called them students, the same with their piano teacher and swim instructor.  I don’t remember exactly but I don’t think they were all accredited by the state or had teaching certificates.  They may have, though.  I consider myself a student of life and of golf.

As far as inmates or detainees, I guess it could be appropriate at times.  Our kids sure seemed to feel that way when they couldn’t use the phone or write letters during meal times and they were surely inmates when they were grounded for a week.  The kids are detained pretty much their whole lives until age 18, cant leave home without an adult, in bed at 8:00, sit in that chair while you eat etc.

I think my point was is that most people refer to groups of kids at boarding schools as the student population and when people read you site and see detainees they stop reading and move on because they figure you are not familiar with either the language or the subject matter or that maybe it is a parody site by students to make fun of their school.
We use to make fun of our school also, take pictures of a dump and say it was the schools cafeteria etc., but parents are not mostly interested in reading this level of information.  The layout of you site is nice and neat though.  I will eventually read through it, but wanted to pass along some info to help out a bit.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:17:44 AM »
These "boarding schools" are hardly that.  They whitewash it all and present this lovely picture to prospective marks that is far from reality.  Detainees is quite appropriate.  It's the truth of what happens, not some watered down version to sell it to parents.  We know it.  You know it and the kids damn sure know it.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 10:26:45 AM »
People who are held incommunicado, against their will, for so-called "treatment" upwards to 3 years........ are called Patients- usually severe mental patients. Although they have more phone/ visitation/ advocate rights than program detainees.

When one is detained and ALL rights and privleges are denied.... that is more like jail and they're called Prisoners......... although prisoners have more phone/visitation/ rights than program detainees. Prisoners of war get better medical attention.

Those who won't read the site will avoid it out of guilt for what they've done, or are considering doing to their child.
BM Prisons for teens. Doesn't get any clearer than that.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 12:30:20 PM »
I see it a little differently.  The point the guest was trying to make was that sure the kids are detained.  They have to be.  The parents are aware that the kids will be detained there for a predefined period of time whether it be a week or 3 years.  If you have ever parented a child the last thing you would want is to send them off to a place that was not secure or could not contain them.  A parent could not sleep at night thinking their child could just run off, especially in a state he/she wasn’t familiar.  So detaining them at the school is one aspect of what the parents are paying for.
But as a reader (adult) looking at this persons site for the first time and sees that his language is sophomoric it doesn’t spark curiosity for the reader to continue rather it gives the impression it is a kids site or a parody.  People looking for honest information will move on after the first few lines.  If the site is intended to target younger folks, the advice might be off and I could agree they may enjoy it.

I tend to side with the guest on his/her constructive criticism.  The site is great, just think the guest felt you could get more readers (or more educated readers) if you upgraded the grammar a bit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 01:18:49 PM »
Fuck off, Who.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 01:23:34 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I see it a little differently.  The point the guest was trying to make was that sure the kids are detained.  They have to be.  The parents are aware that the kids will be detained there for a predefined period of time whether it be a week or 3 years.  If you have ever parented a child the last thing you would want is to send them off to a place that was not secure or could not contain them.  A parent could not sleep at night thinking their child could just run off, especially in a state he/she wasn’t familiar.  So detaining them at the school is one aspect of what the parents are paying for.
But as a reader (adult) looking at this persons site for the first time and sees that his language is sophomoric it doesn’t spark curiosity for the reader to continue rather it gives the impression it is a kids site or a parody.  People looking for honest information will move on after the first few lines.  If the site is intended to target younger folks, the advice might be off and I could agree they may enjoy it.

I tend to side with the guest on his/her constructive criticism.  The site is great, just think the guest felt you could get more readers (or more educated readers) if you upgraded the grammar a bit.

It ain't your site so don't fucking worry about it.

Detainees is actually too polite.  Deb's got it.  Prisoners.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 01:45:33 PM »
If you don’t mind, it is not my site either but the guest, the second one which you called who, had a good point.  You need to use the level of grammar which matchs the reader you want to attract.  I think if you inserted prisoners where it says detainees you would drive away even more people and only retain the interest of kids or people who are high, like this Anne Bonney person, the pirate bird, seems to be.

You Americans can be such bloody snobs, I am starting to like the French, fuck off yourself dyke!

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 01:55:01 PM »
How 'bout you let us worry about it, huh?  You're some anonymouse (although it seems you probably are one of Who's multiples).

Why are you assuming I'm high?  And if I was, what difference would THAT make?  Is there something wrong with getting high?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 02:12:43 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
How 'bout you let us worry about it, huh?  You're some anonymouse (although it seems you probably are one of Who's multiples).

Why are you assuming I'm high?  And if I was, what difference would THAT make?  Is there something wrong with getting high?

Oh, now I am the who person, speaking of multiples you seem to be the one using the word “usâ€

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
The grammer
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 03:03:05 PM »
I am from Denmark, so my English could be better. I apology if that is a problem. Hopefully someone would fix it.

What remains is that they are detained at the facility. I understand that some parents do find it good. Particularly if they want to postpone solving the problem until they have gathered the strength.

But the issue about detaining persons if I can jump to the conclusion that children should be considered persons is where my cultural background properly collide with yours. I come from a country where people has to be convicted to treatment if the outside world (family included) do find that it is necessary.

People have died on that account. Just last month a mother, who haven given birth to a child denied receiving blood because she was a member of Jehovah's Witnesses. The poor child lost his mother, but should the doctor have given her blood against her will? It was going before the court, but she died before there was a ruling. That is the price you have to pay for a principle.

That is however I price I am willing to pay. My mother is from Finland. Some of the family did not manage to flee during WWII and ended up on the wrong side of the border. People, who were not following the rules of the communists, were detained and suddenly they confessed to a lot of criminal activites during "group therapy". The methods were perhaps a little hasher than most of the facilities, but if you look at the prison documentaries on Youtube, the conditions are almost the same at Tranquility Bay as a russian youth prison. But the russian youths knows when they are going to be released.

As for being a student while learn to play the piano: The student does learn something but the lesson is over at some point and the student can go home and join his or her family.

If we have to be more neutral, all the articles must have a chapter  about how runaway attempts is handled, if the child is going to be expelled or held back with force. And the detainees has to be referred to as children or teenagers. I will have to think about that.