Author Topic: Straight will forever be my higher power!!  (Read 6663 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Straight will forever be my higher power!!
« on: May 12, 2003, 01:48:00 PM »
I just found this site today and I must say that I am very very suprised that so many people have harsh feelings about straight, and especially Dr. Miller Newton.  I remember my time at straight very fondly.  The love that was generated at straight was so powerful that it was almost like we were in the presence of God himself.  I remember being kicked in the head by Dr. Newton because his love was so powerful for me.  Dr. Newton didn't want me to die which is where I was headed.  I look at old staff and Dr. Newton as disciples of God and I look at Dr. Newton as almost worthy of being called God himself.

If you people would just remember the "first and most important rule", I know you will agree with me.  Being in Straight was almost like worshiping the Lord our savior.   Please be honest, it saved everyones life.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 01:52:00 PM »
Miller, get off the computer!  Ruth Ann needs her hair washed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 01:55:00 PM »
Have you ever though of doing stand up? Because you're splittin' my sides over here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 02:04:00 PM »
except for, the people who commited suicide.  
The ones who have to take time out of thier daily lives to make time for therapy to over come post-tramatic stree disorder.  Except for the parents who will never see thier children again because of the damage done to the family unit by the program. Except for the families who no longer have enough money(savings) left for retirement, college, etc.,..because they gave it all to the program. Except for the innocent children who never needed treatment and were incarcerated anyway.

Offline JDavid

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/moondiggum
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 03:22:00 PM »
This is a good point: "Dr. Newton didn't want me to die which is where I was headed."

Yeah, they kept us alive because no money was to be made if we were dead.  If there had been more profit in killing us, that's what they would have done.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »
truer words were never written.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 03:48:00 PM »
Yes I agree - no truer words could be written about how wonderful straight is/was/and forever will be.  I know you people remember the love that was in straight.  I know you remember the kindness that came from RuthAnn and Dr. Newton.  Please be honest!   Please remember the truth!  I think if you look at things honestly you will agree that when Miller newton kicked me when I was a child at 15 (and yes it was a kick to the skull) it was a sign of love and compassion.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 05:18:00 PM »
Man your life must have pretty bad to think straight was good!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 05:42:00 PM »
This same joker is on Pathways site too. I guess he thinks its funny. To ever consider that kicking someone is a motivator wasn't ever kicked then.

Offline sammiegirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 07:06:00 PM »
is this a fucking joke or are people trying to entice an arguement.?? I hope it is a try at witty candor
ND THE TRUTH WILL SET US FREE

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 09:36:00 PM »
I would like for someone who was in the Gandy Building give me a detailed description of the daily living there.  Was the building air conditioned?  Did they ever have outside raps?
Were the bathrooms tolerable?  Did they have a real sick-bay?  Where was the time-out room?
I would'nt know because I the only time I set foot in the damn place, was to do a rap with William Rollins.  He was my first newcomer and was a staff trainee at the time.  Miller Newton was just a jive ass parent in Open Meetings at the time who drove a Chevy Caprice Station Wagon.
I stepped into group, and the funk just about knocked me to my damn knees!  I went out the side door to the parking lot, and threw up into the bushes.  I had been away too long I guess.  I actually went out to my car, tore the air freshener off my rear view mirror and wore it like a necklace under my shirt and walked back inside.  All I know is that they had a state of the art kitchen, A/C units all over the roof, and I actually heard Kim Hyde say that they were putting in tennis courts.  Any truth to that?
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 10:36:00 PM »
Explain how. Tell me how it was love, compassion. Tell me how an act of violence can be done out of love and compassion. I am quite serious. Explain it to me. I do not understand your point of view, and I'd like to. I'd like to know how it is you can justify that. If we're so in the dark about the truth, enlighten us.

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2003, 10:41:00 PM »
This is just what I needed, a great laugh at someone else's twisted view of hell. Shit, this viewpoint puts all of the parents who are still stuck on the program to shame! Thanks for the good laugh! I think I will go  ::puke:: now from laughin so hard!!
The New Definition of BITCH....Babe In Total Control of Herself!!

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2003, 11:15:00 PM »
Okay Bob, heres the scoop on Gandy, as that is where I was.
 Those big fancy A/c systems were used during open meetings, but were only turned on after the hosing down of the floors and rearranging of chairs for open meeting was done.  During this time most phasers were stuffed into the carpeted A-B-C rooms, without AC running.  Executive rap before open meetings sucked in that hot ass room, while we knew main group was cooling down for the show.
We rarely ever saw in all the time I was there, the A/C's used except when parents or HRS/DCF was coming.
Daily living in Gandy.  For a <3rd phase, day began crammed into plaster walled 10x10 intake rooms, 40 or 50 at a time, barely breathable air, for as long as it took to gather up enough 2nd phasers to watch the doors in main group.  This could be as long as two hours or more in AM.  Keep in mind that St Pete group had upwards of 400 kids at times.
Next, the food.  Nice kitchen...god knows I worked in there enough as a low phaser.  The finest kitchen matters not nearly so much as what ingrediants and love are mixed together.  Beanie weanies, such a small small portion that I would get an eat shit and die look from a ten year old if I served it to him.  Or soggy PB&J.  Easy to cook cheap food.  The nasty chilli on white bread was a common producer of the funk you smelled in group! Straight outta the can too.  One time my dad donated over 200 pounds of steaks and prime burger meat from Cacatories (high end butcher and gourmet grocery in Tampa) for them too cook for us.  We never saw a one steak, nor did the chilli have any real meat in it for a while.  That would've taken work by the kitchen staff.  I always wonder what happened to that meat.  Bet staff ate great at home that month...
To drink was Solo institutional brand syrup based kool aid stuff.  Mixed thick, it gave extra nutrition, but was so hypertonic that it sucked any extra (HAHA) moisture right outta the system.  Too thin, and it tasted like nothing.  Just right happened rarely.  I think this was to "make us motivated".  The one water fountain was off limits except after standing on long line for a 10 second drink after excercise rap.  As an RN, I know what fluid requirements for people are.  WE NEVER GOT ENOUGH.  I used to get in trouble for "stealing" water in the shower at night.  Another "motivational tool".
Outside raps...ha.  Behind Gandy was Palmetto scrub.  The palmetto fields and slash pines looked like a great place to have a rap.  Happened once while I was there.  A smart therapist running a group would have had us out there every night, as Florida sunsets over wild areas are beautifull and MOTIVATING.
Cant have that.  Anybody who ran would've had REAL risk for Rattlesnake bite, and Florida kids all knew that, so most wouldn't have run anyway.
Kim Hyde was one FOS bitch.  Tennis with Lurray Harbors ass maybe.  Or Mark Gilleys head.  
Blue chairs quickly replaced the pews from the old building.  Smashed fingers became common.
No real medical care, no RN, LPN or Dr to do it right.  Truly was amazing that it could even happen in a licensed facility....Thanks Mel S
The clinic was at back of group.  I think I saw it used once for a girl who was really sick...shoulda been in an ICU, but was being a "jerk" and couldn't be allowed in hospital.  No IV fluid support used, etc.
Our bathrooms were moldy, and dimly lit.  The vanities had mushrooms growing under them from the moisture.  Tampa is second to none (except maybe New Orleans) in terms of mugginess, so weird shit grows in bathrooms with no A/C and HUNDREDS of chillins using them.  Pubic lice outbreak was fun in 81, for sure.
A fruity weird guy from Cincy on like 4th phase got to check us all by the balls to see if we had it.  They lined us up and an untrained, unlicensed kid got to play with our parts and deem us Ok or not.  No gloves, handwashing or anything between people either.  
GIRLS WHO WERE THERE:  did they treat you as badly that day??
Enough memory dump for now.  
Bob, and others who missed the fun at Gandy, I hope you get a little picture now.  Newton was another huge facet of our daily life, and his unpredictable ways could fill a book from my memory alone.  I was there for his rise up exec staff, and saw insanity as he ran amok after PHd was added to his name and he published a book.
Bill Hadley
St Pete & Atlanta
12-80/12-82
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 11:49:00 PM »
Thanks Bill,  I kind of thought so on the air-conditioning.  I started out at the Milton Roy building off of Park Street and it was'nt all that bad.  I had always thought that the whole building on Gandy was carpeted.  Since you made no mention of a Think Room, I guess they never figured they would'nt need them. Just another example of Miller Newton being out of touch with reality.  I can see now why he did that infamous bitch slap on Leigh Bright.  They just were not going to tolerate jerks period it looks like.  Man if I had to go through the program at 17 instead of 15, I think I would have wound up in jail.  I would not have put up with those conditions.  That building always was too claustrophobia inducing for me. I am amazed that you were there early enough to be treated to the wonderful church pews from Morgan Yacht.  My memories of that building are just of the 7 step raps that I lead as a Vice and then President.  We were goddamn 7 steppers and an embarrassment to Miller Newton.  I swear before God, we used to call him an asshole to his face.  Once our parents paid off the balance or in many cases just said fuck it and stopped paying entirely, then the staff would try to spy on us and dig up dirt to get us "Terminated" from the society.  
If you ever heard the roar of an engine, screaming tires and Robin Zander of Cheap Trick belting out "Surrender"  that was probably me doing a power slide in my Gran Torino across the back of the building.  Anything to brighten a 1st phasers day, right?

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2003-05-12 20:51 ]
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?