Author Topic: Lawsuit against Hidden Lake Academy should make Hyde nervous  (Read 10019 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Lawsuit against Hidden Lake Academy should make Hyde nervous
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 07:56:51 AM »
BTW, for what it's worth, since this is the thread to put it in, here is a link to the HLA Class-Action Suit thread in the Hidden Lake forum:
http://wwf.fornits.com/viewtopic.php?t=17700
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 02:26:03 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 09:27:36 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
They try to change the language.  They offer parents the illusion that the "problem" their child is experiencing need not be addressed by "that blood-sucking psycho establishment.   "

blove82 passed along that mindset, however innocently:
Quote from: ""blove82""
You don't need a Psychology or Psychiatry degree to help someone, all that matters is that you care and are speaking from experience.

Seminars are not "group therapy" but "character education."  Your child is not "depressed," he/she is suffering from not striving for his best.  Likewise for self-esteem issues.  Etc. etc.  

Sorry, but rope-climbing challenges and character assassination just don't cut it for me, as far as addressing some of the above.

Old post from someone there long ago:
Quote from: ""Guest""
There is a line. It is not a bright line but there none the less, where chemistry takes over and attitude and choice fade. Telling some one with a bipolar disorder that schizophrania is a choice is like telling some one with diarhea that shitting is a choice. Try it next time you are so afflicted. I remember kids with real problem being told to make the choice. I don't think it worked for most of them. I don't know if they do that any more. Hope not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
no lyrics
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 09:32:57 AM »

Offline Surfer Mouse

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 01:52:36 PM »
NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, presents this first comprehensive state-by-state analysis of mental health care systems in 15 years. Every U.S. state has been scored on 39 specific criteria resulting in an overall grade and four sub-category grades for each state. The national average grade is D. Five states receive grades in the B range. Eight receive Fs. None received As.

http://www.nami.org/gtstemplate.cfm?sec ... &lstid=701

State by State:
http://www.nami.org/gtstemplate.cfm?sec ... e_by_state

With mental health care services of this quality it’s no wonder that there is a big
business with private boarding schools and therapeutic adventure programs filling
the vacuum.
  ::puke::

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 02:34:37 PM »
That handsome map from the link above:

Interestingly, Maine is one of the higher scorers.  Not surprisingly, the poorest scoring states are where the majority of these troubled teen setups have seen fit to reside in.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Lawsuit against Hidden Lake Academy should make Hyde ner
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2007, 10:18:46 PM »
This recent lawsuit against Hidden Lake Academy should make Hyde School very nervous.  Hyde would likely hide behind their usual claim that "technically we're not a therapeutic boarding school."  Yeah, right.  Hyde accepts many of the same kinds of kids that Hidden Lake accepts.  Hyde pretends it's not a therapeutic boarding school.  One of these days someone will take Hyde to task in court for a wide variety of abuses and incompetence.    

Here's information on the lawsuit: http://www.bergermontague.com/case-summary.cfm?id=155

Here's the actual court complaint:  http://www.bergermontague.com/pdfs/Hidd ... plaint.pdf

It's instructive to think about some of the stuff that goes on at Hyde as you read through this legal complaint.

I've read the lawsuit against Hidden Lake.  As I read through it I was imagining all kinds of horrors I experienced at Hyde that seemed somewhat similar.  I think Hyde is very dishonest about its ability to help many of the students I got to know when I was there.  I met many students who couldn't make it at Hyde, or were always getting into trouble (2-4, 5:30's, getting sent to outpost) when it was clear to anyone who looked that they were off-track because of their serious mental problems.    For the life of me I can't understand how Hyde could take these students in when they clearly didn't have the services or staff to help them.  Isn't that worthy of a lawsuit?  I'm surprised more parents haven't gone after Hyde.  Not to mention how inferior many of the Hyde teachers are.  I think sometimes the students knew more about the topic than the teachers.  I have a feeling Hyde hires very young, inexperienced teachers and throws them in the classroom, even though they may not know much about the subject.  I met Hyde teachers who talked about what lousy students they were.  These were supposed to be my role models????

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
For the life of me I can't understand how Hyde could take these students in when they clearly didn't have the services or staff to help them. Isn't that worthy of a lawsuit? I'm surprised more parents haven't gone after Hyde.

1.)  And what has happened to these students that Hyde did not "help?"  Where are they now?  What impact, in the long run, did Hyde have on these kids?

2.)  What impact has the shoddy treatment of certain kids had on the so-called "normal" kids, who felt that Hyde was beneficial to them?  How does it feel to be in a "family" where some of your siblings are clearly getting the screws put to them unfairly?

3.)  What take-home message do all kids ultimately get from coming of age in such a dysfunctional "family?"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »
For the life of me I can't understand how Hyde could take these students in when they clearly didn't have the services or staff to help them. Isn't that worthy of a lawsuit? I'm surprised more parents haven't gone after Hyde.

1.)  And what has happened to these students that Hyde did not "help?"  Where are they now?  What impact, in the long run, did Hyde have on these kids?

2.)  What impact has the shoddy treatment of certain kids had on the so-called "normal" kids, who felt that Hyde was beneficial to them?  How does it feel to be in a "family" where some of your siblings are clearly getting the screws put to them unfairly?

3.)  What take-home message do all kids ultimately get from coming of age in such a dysfunctional "family?"

Notice how Hyde loves to advertise the high satisfaction rate of its graduates and the high college placement rate.  How much do you want to bet that Hyde's statistics don't include the large number of student who leave or get booted out of Hyde?  I wonder what the statistics would look like if these people were included.

I think Hyde is notorious for stacking its own deck to suit its own marketing purposes.  If I had the chance to "clear the decks" with Hyde at this point in my life, I'd let them know how dishonest I think they are because of the way they "stack the deck"!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 12:44:53 PM »
Notice how Hyde loves to advertise the high satisfaction rate of its graduates and the high college placement rate. How much do you want to bet that Hyde's statistics don't include the large number of student who leave or get booted out of Hyde? I wonder what the statistics would look like if these people were included.

Hyde's statistics do NOT include any students who leave or get booted out.  Outside of a seemingly life-long deluge of slick fund-raising requests for money, Hyde has zero concern for those wayward souls who don't get with the program.  There is certainly no follow up to ascertain college attendance et al.

What do said college statistics also really mean?  Someone mentioned somewhere in these threads about the pressure to apply to quite a few schools to ensure acceptance to at least one, some or many of which the student was disinterested in actually attending whether he got in or not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2007, 10:46:24 PM »
Notice how Hyde loves to advertise the high satisfaction rate of its graduates and the high college placement rate. How much do you want to bet that Hyde's statistics don't include the large number of student who leave or get booted out of Hyde? I wonder what the statistics would look like if these people were included.

Hyde's statistics do NOT include any students who leave or get booted out.  Outside of a seemingly life-long deluge of slick fund-raising requests for money, Hyde has zero concern for those wayward souls who don't get with the program.  There is certainly no follow up to ascertain college attendance et al.

What do said college statistics also really mean?  Someone mentioned somewhere in these threads about the pressure to apply to quite a few schools to ensure acceptance to at least one, some or many of which the student was disinterested in actually attending whether he got in or not.

Hyde seems to "pride" itself on its commitment to honesty.  Isn't it something that Hyde is so willing to mislead the public when it comes to honestly acknowledging the REAL statistics related to the school's drop-out rate, parent satisfaction with the school, students who fall apart at Hyde, etc.?  I guess Hyde can't afford to publicize the REAL statistics concerning what happens there; that would be a disaster for Hyde's public image.  

Could it be that Hyde is more concerned about image than it's willing to admit?  When I was at Hyde I heard staff lecture students about how they needed to be less concerned about image.  Me thinks Hyde doesn't practice what it preaches.  I'm shocked!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 09:20:38 AM »

Hyde seems to "pride" itself on its commitment to honesty.  Isn't it something that Hyde is so willing to mislead the public when it comes to honestly acknowledging the REAL statistics related to the school's drop-out rate, parent satisfaction with the school, students who fall apart at Hyde, etc.?  I guess Hyde can't afford to publicize the REAL statistics concerning what happens there; that would be a disaster for Hyde's public image.  

Could it be that Hyde is more concerned about image than it's willing to admit?  When I was at Hyde I heard staff lecture students about how they needed to be less concerned about image.  Me thinks Hyde doesn't practice what it preaches.  I'm shocked!

Hyde has built the kinds of self deceit and rationalization mechanisms around it self that it seeks to break down in the families that it serves.  In  the ethos of Hyde, if you fail at hyde it is your fault, not Hyde's.  Failure at Hyde is portrayed in those terms.  It is not a mismatch of need and service provided: it is your failure.
  So when you have star student go out into life and self destruct, even then,  it is not the failure of Hyde, it is the failure of the student to live what they have learned.
  The Father of success is Hyde, failure is an orphan.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »
Could it be that Hyde is more concerned about image than it's willing to admit? When I was at Hyde I heard staff lecture students about how they needed to be less concerned about image. Me thinks Hyde doesn't practice what it preaches. I'm shocked!

I have never seen a place more obsessed with "image" than Hyde.  A bit ironic, don't you think, given their professed ideals?  They are obsessed with the image of Hyde as perceived by the public, and they are obsessed with the image of the kids as they presumably see themselves.

When I was at Hyde, a multitude of criticisms re. my so-called concern for my image were leveled at me and I beat myself up something awful about it.  It wasn't 'till years later that I realized that faculty at Hyde had had absolutely no clue as to who I was in the first place, and that the criticisms, such that there were, had absolutely zero basis in reality.  Moreover, said criticisms were nothing but pro-forma verbiage leveled at everyone in my class (save perhaps the "chosen ones"), and had never been unique to me!  Shame on me for being so obtuse as to not figure that out earlier!  Shame on Hyde for stigmatizing kids so unnecessarily!

Show me a teenager who is NOT concerned about their image, and I'll show you a teenager who is either extraordinarily mature for their years (and thence not someone whose parents would opt to send them to Hyde anyway), or a teenager who is utterly out of sync with themselves or in denial.  It is almost a matter of definition for teenagers to fret about their image.  And whether or not anyone points this out, they will grow up and out of it in a few years simply as a function of becoming an adult!

What I do find abnormal, however, is adults in their thirties and older who are so concerned with "image" that they see fit to torture teenagers about the concept.  Give me a break!  Just who exactly needs to "grow up" here?

Adults should first and foremost lead by example, eh?  What kind of examples do we see held up as the epitome of good character vis a vis good self image at Hyde?  Superficial preoccupation with prom transportation!  Pah-leeez!  This is supposed to teach a good example of "image-consciousness?"  Don't try to tell me it's a matter of more egalitarian finance considerations!  Even if the limo was 200 bucks, split amongst 3 couples that comes to $33 and change per person!  Surely Hyde could have found find something better with which to waste everyone's time!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
yeah, [i]right[/i]!
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 11:33:52 AM »
I'd like to hear some more about these "more egalitarian finance considerations", especially in light of the substantial amount of mullah the gauld family rakes in every year!  that 33$ plus change doesn't really look so bad in comparison.

what happened to the "practise what you preach" philosophy?  where's the "character" here?  ha ha!  if these people didn't damage some kids as much as they do, I'd laugh them down the drain as one of the bigger jokes of the past century.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: yeah, [i]right[/i]!
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2007, 11:44:10 AM »
I'd like to hear some more about these "more egalitarian finance considerations", especially in light of the substantial amount of mullah the gauld family rakes in every year!  that 33$ plus change doesn't really look so bad in comparison.

what happened to the "practise what you preach" philosophy?  where's the "character" here?  ha ha!  if these people didn't damage some kids as much as they do, I'd laugh them down the drain as one of the bigger jokes of the past century.

Jesus H Christ! Economic Egalitarianism?  Shit boy! We have third world infant mortality rates in the inner cities of these here United States do to a lack of access to basic health care AND we have folks shelling out 45K a year to patch up piss poor parenting.  Marx isn't just rolling in his grave he is gonna rise up from the dead.  The notion of Economic Justice in the US of A died with MLK jr in Memphis.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: yeah, [i]right[/i]!
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 12:42:11 PM »

Jesus H Christ! Economic Egalitarianism?  Shit boy! We have third world infant mortality rates in the inner cities of these here United States do to a lack of access to basic health care AND we have folks shelling out 45K a year to patch up piss poor parenting.  Marx isn't just rolling in his grave he is gonna rise up from the dead.  The notion of Economic Justice in the US of A died with MLK jr in Memphis.

The health care system in this country is worse than even many a third world country's.  Given the resources available, you would think it to be among the best.  Yet, despite spending probably more than just about every other nation to get the job done, the distribution of services rivals only that of third world dictatorships embroiled in civil war in terms of their disparity.  People die because they are afraid to go to the emergency room because they can not afford it.  People with chronic illnesses (e.g., diabetes) and on-again/off-again insurance situations (e.g., due to spotty employment), cannot manage their illnesses appropriately, often suffering mortal consequences.  It's disgusting, and oh so depressing.