Author Topic: Who wants to see a monk protest?  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Who wants to see a monk protest?
« on: May 08, 2007, 02:48:09 PM »
Anybody got more details? I know I can't leave my neck of the woods till at least 4pm. Anybody know what time the commencement ceremony will commence? Where ppl should meet up? Parking, shuttle svc and such?

Google Bush Latrobe

International Herald Tribune
Bush graduation speech stirs controversy at St. Vincent College

The Associated Press
Friday, April 27, 2007

LATROBE, Pennsylvania: Speaking to a Catholic audience should be natural for born-again Christian President George W. Bush, especially when the invitation comes from a former adviser.

But Bush's May 11 commencement speech has aroused controversy at St. Vincent College — a school proud of its 161-year-old Benedictine heritage, which places great importance on morality, hospitality and peaceful relationships between people and nations.

Some alumni irate over the Iraq War have threatened to stop donating to the school, opponents have begun weekly protests and C-Span recently broadcast a heated student debate.

The tranquility of the school campus, set in western Pennsylvania's lush Laurel Highlands region, belies the controversy under the surface.

Some say Bush's policies contradict the college's Benedictine roots, while others say it is an honor to host the president. But even many students who support having Bush as commencement speaker disagree with his policies, outwardly opposing the war in Iraq and questioning his morality.

"I do not like the man. I do not like his politics," said George Miller, a 19-year-old freshman studying political science. "But as a Benedictine, I think we should let him come, not based on his merits, but based on ours."

Nationally, the Benedictine order has taken a strong stance against the war in Iraq, with thousands signing a opposition statement before the war began. In 2005, nearly 2,400 Benedictine's nationwide signed a peace statement that was sent to Bush.

Established in 1846 by a Benedictine archabbot, St. Vincent has more than 1,700 students. More than 60 percent of the students at the private school are Catholic, although its doors are open to all faiths.

The invitation to Bush was extended by St. Vincent President Jim Towey, who served for more than four years as the president's faith-based adviser.

Some in the student body were concerned that welcoming Bush would make it appear the liberal arts college has a conservative student body, an image many of them do not agree with.

The invitation also angered Catholic alumni opposed to the war, and aroused a fierce protest by the Erie-based Benedictines for Peace movement.

Since Easter, a small group from throughout western Pennsylvania has come every Sunday to protest near the college.

"We're totally outraged with the slaughter at Virginia Tech and this slaughter is taking place every day in Iraq," said the Rev. Jack O'Malley, 70, a St. Vincent alum who has participated in some of the protests. "The president goes to Virginia Tech and is horrified at the death and destruction as he should be. Why isn't he horrified at what's happening in Iraq? I don't get it."

Alex Conant, a White House spokesman, said Bush chose to go to St. Vincent because "it's a great college."

"The focus is going to be on the graduates, should be on the graduates and their accomplishments," Conant said. "He looks forward to congratulating the graduates."

Towey, who worked in the Bush administration until 2006 when he became president of St. Vincent, said his goal was to get the best possible speaker at the commencement ceremony. To him, a school can't do better than the president.

Aware of Catholic opposition to the war when he extended the invitation, Towey thinks the debate is good for the students.

"I am delighting in this opportunity for our students to engage in a healthy debate and recognize that our differences actually strengthen us," Towey said. "College campuses should welcome diverse opinions."

Cheryl Cochran, 42, will be graduating alongside her 22-year-old daughter, Randalyn. She is annoyed by the choice not only because she disagrees with Bush's policies, but also because the security, pomp and fanfare surrounding his arrival steal the thunder from students.

"It should be up to a person whether they want to hear him speak. We're kind of forced," Cochran said, hanging her final psychology project up on a bulletin board in the student lounge.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 07:36:23 AM »
I hope all of the Monks protest. i dont even see how it is possible that a  Catholic University can pick someone who has been responsible for sending thousands of young Americans to their deaths and for wreaking havoc on the lives of countless Iraquis to be a guest speaker.

Did the president of that Uni forget that to Catholics Every life is sacred
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »
Bush became "religious" when he perceived that he could steal more thunder that way.  Even many of the Evangelists that he hoodwinked for their votes despise him and his politics now... He never made good on any of his promises to them.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:44:15 PM »
OzGirl, that's just PR on the part of the Catholic church. Remember the crusades, the Inquisition, the Salem witch hunt? And those are just the wars and slaughters they branded and owned publicly. The Vatican has been up to their proverbial eyebrows in every war in history since it's inception.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 01:08:59 PM »
Don't mess with Cat'lics.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:04:36 PM »
Yer muthu's army boots!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:16:45 PM »
What? You wanna peesa me?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 02:16:58 PM »
Quote from: ""Oz girl""
I hope all of the Monks protest. i dont even see how it is possible that a  Catholic University can pick someone who has been responsible for sending thousands of young Americans to their deaths and for wreaking havoc on the lives of countless Iraquis to be a guest speaker.

Did the president of that Uni forget that to Catholics Every life is sacred

Every Catholic life is sacred.  Fuck Catholicism.  The Pope is a queer.  Christianity, particularly Catholicism, has killed more people than even GW Bush.

Those assholes wanna take the moral high ground?  How 'bout kicking out their kid-fucking priests,  support condoms as a means to help curb the spread of AIDS,  etc., etc. , etc. ad nauseum  

More religious vomit.........don't assume because they are a church that they are good or moral people.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 04:22:28 PM »
Quote from: ""Antoni""
What? You wanna peesa me?

Whut, ya think ya can handle me?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 04:30:13 PM »
Quote from: ""Antigen's Ghost""
Whut, ya think ya can handle me?

Anytime, anywhere!  8-)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 05:24:21 PM »
Shziztz!

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 01:05:08 AM »
OzGirl, that's just PR on the part of the Catholic church. Remember the crusades, the Inquisition, the Salem witch hunt? And those are just the wars and slaughters they branded and owned publicly. The Vatican has been up to their proverbial eyebrows in every war in history since it's inception.

Oh i could not agree more there. My comment was not about the relative merits of the bells and smells branch of the christian faith. I have however always seen an inherent contridiction in the idea that there are many catholics and also other christians who will harrass women approaching abortion clinics or who will not show any understanding of why someone would pick euthenasia on the grounds of the sacredness of life but who support this war even though many die.
I should add that one of the things i despise most about Bush is is arrogant assumption that god is on the side of the West. This is why i do feel somewhat heartened when Christians, particularly those who are stongly pro life, come out against this war. There are certainly many here who do but little meida coverage has been given to christians in the US who oppose the war. i think it is vital that religious people in the US are vocal in their opposition to the war because religious faith now more than ever before has a genuine political influence in the US in a way that it does not in other allied countries. Bush and his idiotic murderous cronies need to be aware that they do not speak for everyone who worships his god.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 02:11:05 AM »
...i think it is vital that religious people in the US are vocal in their opposition to the war because religious faith now more than ever before has a genuine political influence in the US in a way that it does not in other allied countries. Bush and his idiotic murderous cronies need to be aware that they do not speak for everyone who worships his god.

Religious faith has political influence because Bush went out of his way to court it.  But after he got their votes, he sold them down the river.  Bush's actual cynicism vis a vis "religion" is hopefully beginning to be recognized for the self-serving pandering that it really is.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 07:53:53 AM »
Quote from: ""Ursus""
...i think it is vital that religious people in the US are vocal in their opposition to the war because religious faith now more than ever before has a genuine political influence in the US in a way that it does not in other allied countries. Bush and his idiotic murderous cronies need to be aware that they do not speak for everyone who worships his god.

Religious faith has political influence because Bush went out of his way to court it.  But after he got their votes, he sold them down the river.  Bush's actual cynicism vis a vis "religion" is hopefully beginning to be recognized for the self-serving pandering that it really is.

Good God (no pun) you all are talking about this religious / politico thing as if it was actually something new.. ?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 08:24:57 AM »

Oh i could not agree more there. My comment was not about the relative merits of the bells and smells branch of the christian faith. I have however always seen an inherent contridiction in the idea that there are many catholics and also other christians who will harrass women approaching abortion clinics or who will not show any understanding of why someone would pick euthenasia on the grounds of the sacredness of life but who support this war even though many die.
I should add that one of the things i despise most about Bush is is arrogant assumption that god is on the side of the West. This is why i do feel somewhat heartened when Christians, particularly those who are stongly pro life, come out against this war. There are certainly many here who do but little meida coverage has been given to christians in the US who oppose the war. i think it is vital that religious people in the US are vocal in their opposition to the war because religious faith now more than ever before has a genuine political influence in the US in a way that it does not in other allied countries. Bush and his idiotic murderous cronies need to be aware that they do not speak for everyone who worships his god.

Gotta understand how they interpret "thou shall not kill". If you can stomach this shit, here's a couple of examples. So, if you're gonna kill, best claim that you spoke to god and he sanctioned it.

However, like English, Hebrew, the language in which most of the Old Testament was written, uses different words for intentional vs. unintentional killing. The verse translated "Thou shalt not kill" in the KJV translation, is translated "You shall not murder"2 in modern translations - because these translations represents the real meaning of the Hebrew text. The Bible in Basic English translates the phrase, "Do not put anyone to death without cause."2
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/notkill.php

The commandment "thou shall not kill" (Exodus 20:13; Deuteronomy 5:17), is better understood to mean "you shall not murder," most modern translations of the Bible rendered it this way. According to the Bible not all killing, the taking of a life, is murder. Murder is the unlawfully taking of human life. The command not to murder applies to human beings, not to killing animals or plant life for food.
http://www.biblestudy.org/question/notkill.html
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700