Author Topic: The Carlbrook thread  (Read 51962 times)

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2007, 02:53:31 PM »
I am basing the info on the workshops from the IM conversation I already posted that I had with my son.  Also, from what other kids have told me.  It doesn't sound quite as confrontational as much of the CEDU format, but I will ask more questions.

Yes, the food got to the kids.  I was thanked by several when we sent stuff and my son reported on other stuff received.

The teachers were degreed and had certificates.  Some were actually quite good and the course offerings were good- Honors, AP etc.

I think phone calls moved to once a week after a certain period of time. Our son refused some of the calls anyway, so it wasn't really an issue at first.   There are 4 family workshops a year which provide an opportunity to work on fixing the relationships.  

I found some of my Carlbrook files.  You sign an Arbitration Agreement, which means you can not file a lawsuit, but agree to settle any disputes through Arbitration.  This is not that unusual in a contract.

I found a letter my son wrote to a friend (out of standard, of course).  He said, "This place is like a prison with no walls because running away will just get you sent to a worse place, similar to a real prison.  There are so many ridiculous rules that are driving me crazy and I don't think I can handle it much longer.  I'm trying to fake it as much as I can but it's not working out too well for me.  I'm different than I used to be though by a long shot.  I don't want to do drugs or drive cars or "fuck bitches" anymore if you know what I'm saying.  All I want to do is be somewhere that I can slow down and workout and run all the time and be able to have general freedoms like talking to my friends.  I'm reading a lot because it's one of the only things to do around here besides play chess and work on your "emotional growth".   To top it off, I can't run, at least not on my own terms. I am allowed to run on campus, which is much smaller than XXXX, with a partner.  The fastest guy here is as fast as XXX(slowest, fattest friend they had), so that doesn't exactly work out for me.  Of course I thought I could get around that rule, so one day I took off running down the road and I got in a lot of trouble.   I really miss XXXX(school) and all my friends there.  I took for granted all the freedom I had there.  I did whatever the hell I wanted to do, and the worst part is, if I hadn't gotten caught up in stupid stuff, which eventually led to my downfall, I might still be there.  That whole thing really stresses me out when I'm here and I can't have all my own clothes, hygiene products or pictures.  I'm making straight A s in school with little effort, which is nice and relaxing, but for some reason I'm in a stage where I want to learn and be challenged.  Just think of my ass sitting here in the middle of nowhere being drilled every day for "being negative" and "not being committed to my emotional growth".  You have it so good.  Don't screw it up like I did."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2007, 03:19:23 PM »
Quote from: ""Charly""
I am basing the info on the workshops from the IM conversation I already posted that I had with my son.  Also, from what other kids have told me.  It doesn't sound quite as confrontational as much of the CEDU format, but I will ask more questions.

I thought your son said it was, but that he just let it roll off. Again, he's was a little older than a lot of kids who haven't developed those suvival skills yet.

The teachers were degreed and had certificates.  Some were actually quite good and the course offerings were good- Honors, AP etc.

What I was really after was, did you confirm this? Were the teachers certified and counselors licensed?

There are 4 family workshops a year which provide an opportunity to work on fixing the relationships.

What did you personally find to be useful?  

I found some of my Carlbrook files.  You sign an Arbitration Agreement, which means you can not file a lawsuit, but agree to settle any disputes through Arbitration.  This is not that unusual in a contract.

Isn't it also true that your contract becomes null and void if the facility breeches the contract?

I found a letter my son wrote to a friend (out of standard, of course).  He said, "This place is like a prison with no walls because running away will just get you sent to a worse place, similar to a real prison.

How can such an environment be therapeutic in any sense of the word?

There are so many ridiculous rules that are driving me crazy and I don't think I can handle it much longer.  I'm trying to fake it as much as I can but it's not working out too well for me.  I'm different than I used to be though by a long shot.  I don't want to do drugs or drive cars or "fuck bitches" anymore if you know what I'm saying. All I want to do is be somewhere that I can slow down and workout and run all the time and be able to have general freedoms like talking to my friends.  I'm reading a lot because it's one of the only things to do around here besides play chess and work on your "emotional growth".   To top it off, I can't run, at least not on my own terms. I am allowed to run on campus, which is much smaller than XXXX, with a partner.  The fastest guy here is as fast as XXX(slowest, fattest friend they had), so that doesn't exactly work out for me.  Of course I thought I could get around that rule, so one day I took off running down the road and I got in a lot of trouble.

The consequence? Why would they discourage physical activity? Are endorphins consider drugs there? Aren't they aware that physical activity is one of the best ways for young men to work off frustration? Or is that the point? Keep them frustrated with irrational rules and no way to relased the coarsing adreneline?

I really miss XXXX(school) and all my friends there.  I took for granted all the freedom I had there.  I did whatever the hell I wanted to do, and the worst part is, if I hadn't gotten caught up in stupid stuff, which eventually led to my downfall, I might still be there.  That whole thing really stresses me out when I'm here and I can't have all my own clothes, hygiene products or pictures.

Nothing personal. No clothes, hygiene products, pictures. Again, what exactly is the 'therapeutic' value of this? Even prisoners are allowed personal effects. Another of the CEDU methods. Same at HLA. No outside toiletries, like what, the parents were going to sneak drugs to their kids in the shampoo? No, HLA made a huge profit selling these items at twice the retail price.

I'm making straight A s in school with little effort, which is nice and relaxing, but for some reason I'm in a stage where I want to learn and be challenged.  Just think of my ass sitting here in the middle of nowhere being drilled every day for "being negative" and "not being committed to my emotional growth".  You have it so good.  Don't screw it up like I did."

How would you or your son describe "Emotional Growth"? What exactly does that mean to you?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2007, 03:36:11 PM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""

Isn't it also true that your contract becomes null and void if the facility breeches the contract?

If it's anything like Benchmark they include a severability clause ( example: If any provision or provisions of this Agreement shall be held to be invalid, illegal, unenforceable or in conflict with the law of any jurisdiction, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not in any way be affected or impaired thereby.)... so my guess is no.

Is the Arbitration third party? is the arbitration party specified?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Arbitration was AAA in VA.  I assume you pick the arbitrator by AAA rules.  I didn'ts see a Severability clause, but I might be missing some paperwork.  

I didn't check on the degrees or certifications, but my son had enough interaction with the academic faculty to know where they have taught before and where they went to school.  I don't believe this school lied about the credentials of the staff.

Physical activity wasn't discouraged.  They had PE and athletic fields, basketball court etc.  One gripe I had was playing lacrosse without protective equipment.  There were several injuries to kids.  Like Deb said, take all that testosterone and give the kids sticks to hit each other with!  What was discouraged was my son running down the road to the extent that he needed to. He made all sorts of "proposals", which is what you had to do if you wanted something special.  All of them were shot down.  He was willing to get up at 6am to run, but needed to leave campus to do it so he could cover some distance.  

I thought the parent workshops were good.  We learned a lot more about the staff and got to meet them.  We met other parents and shared our stories.  We met the other kids.  The family groups were the best part, although painful.  They had three families and two therapists and a higher-level student.  The kids could confront their parents, share things or discuss whatever they wanted to.  It was pretty tough and emotional.   The parents also got to see student panels who were able to answer questions that we had about the school and how these kids (on the panel) viewed things.  Yes, I realize the kids were "picked".  My son wasn't even allowed to talk to parents who visited the campus (except on parents' weekends when we were all there).    The last visit we went to we got to really spend some time with the academic faculty, who had been sort of hidden from view until then.  

Emotional growth- that's a good question.  It is a stupid-sounding phrase.  To me it meant my son could learn to manage himself in schools, the community and family.  I did NOT expect him to become someone different.  He hasn't.  He still struggles with some of the same issues as before CB.  He did manage to mature enough to get himself through high school and onto college, though.  One big thing he learned was that it was OK to share some of his feelings.  He had gone to a boys' school through 8th grade, and you did NOT show any weakness.  You expressed sentiments towards your friends such as "You suck," but never any praise.  You had to be tough at all costs.  However creepy some of the staff previously mentioned might have been in terms of the touchy-feely stuff, it did help my son let out some pain and tears.  That never happened in home-town therapy and it really needed to.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2007, 04:30:06 PM »
Arbitration was AAA in VA.  I assume you pick the arbitrator by AAA rules.  I didn'ts see a Severability clause, but I might be missing some paperwork.

I didn't check on the degrees or certifications, but my son had enough interaction with the academic faculty to know where they have taught before and where they went to school.  I don't believe this school lied about the credentials of the staff.

Well.  My parents and I were told that the main educational staff member (the only one) at Bmark was working on her PHD.  I find out later that she didn't even have a BA!

I'm more interested in the qualifications of the "advisers"/"counselors" however...  were they licensed therapists?  The group facilitators?

He made all sorts of "proposals", which is what you had to do if you wanted something special.

CEDU... cedu cedu cedu...   "proposals"... funny.  we had the exact same thing at Bmark... It was a joke really... they all got shot down as well.  It helped build a healthy sense of cynicism... that attempting to change things was futile.  Valuable lessons for the modern workplace... and life in general!

All of them were shot down.  He was willing to get up at 6am to run, but needed to leave campus to do it so he could cover some distance.  

I thought the parent workshops were good.  We learned a lot more about the staff and got to meet them.  We met other parents and shared our stories.  We met the other kids.  The family groups were the best part, although painful.  They had three families and two therapists and a higher-level student.  The kids could confront their parents, share things or discuss whatever they wanted to.  It was pretty tough and emotional.   The parents also got to see student panels who were able to answer questions that we had about the school and how these kids (on the panel) viewed things.  Yes, I realize the kids were "picked".  My son wasn't even allowed to talk to parents who visited the campus (except on parents' weekends when we were all there).

That should tell you a lot...  How many others weren't allowed to talk to the parents.

The last visit we went to we got to really spend some time with the academic faculty, who had been sort of hidden from view until then.  

Emotional growth- that's a good question.  It is a stupid-sounding phrase.  To me it meant my son could learn to manage himself in schools, the community and family.  I did NOT expect him to become someone different.  He hasn't.  He still struggles with some of the same issues as before CB.  He did manage to mature enough to get himself through high school and onto college, though.  One big thing he learned was that it was OK to share some of his feelings.  He had gone to a boys' school through 8th grade, and you did NOT show any weakness.  You expressed sentiments towards your friends such as "You suck," but never any praise.  You had to be tough at all costs.  However creepy some of the staff previously mentioned might have been in terms of the touchy-feely stuff, it did help my son let out some pain and tears.  That never happened in home-town therapy and it really needed to.

Question?  If groups are places of confrontation etc...  Do you think that encourages kids to be open about their feelings?  Do you think forcing them to be open about things is good?  Won't that backfire in the long run?  May they only learn how to "fake it"... afraid of what will happen if they are truthful?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2007, 04:32:49 PM »
Quote from: ""psy""
If it's anything like Benchmark they include a severability clause ( example: If any provision or provisions of this Agreement shall be held to be invalid, illegal, unenforceable or in conflict with the law of any jurisdiction, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not in any way be affected or impaired thereby.)... so my guess is no.

Anything's possible, but I don't think you'd have a chance of defending a severability clause if you commit fraud and violate a contract on multiple counts. No one can sign away their rights to sue in the event of fraud. I think it would just be a matter of showing they deceived and defrauded the consumer.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2007, 04:39:53 PM »
The credentials are on the website and I have the utmost confidence that they are all accurate and properly represented.  This is not a criticism that can be made about this place.  The founders made every attempt to gather what they believed were the most highly credentialed and capable staff to be found.  I think you should accept that and given that premise, is it STILL inherently harmful?  I think this place is the best out there (maybe Oakley is OK), so we can take it from there. Best out there might be still inherently bad and abusive......

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2007, 09:39:56 PM »
The credentials are on the website and I have the utmost confidence that they are all accurate and properly represented.  This is not a criticism that can be made about this place.  The founders made every attempt to gather what they believed were the most highly credentialed and capable staff to be found.  I think you should accept that and given that premise, is it STILL inherently harmful?  I think this place is the best out there (maybe Oakley is OK), so we can take it from there. Best out there might be still inherently bad and abusive......

Congratulations.  You consider Carlbrook the best of the worst kind of treament.  Yep, exactly what I'd want for my kid.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2007, 09:45:57 PM »

Karen,
I accept no claims a program makes without question. For what it's worth.
2 out of 24 are licensed- in red.
They have no Certified Substance Abuse Counselors
Virginia Dept of Health Professionals
I can't even find a license on the consulting psychologist
https://secure01.virginiainteractive.or ... blicdb.cgi

Glenn F. Bender, Ph.D.
Dean of Academics
With a Bachelor of Arts from Kenyon College and a Master of Arts and Doctorate in Philosophy and Educational Policy Studies from the University of Wisconsin, Dr. Bender brings extensive academic and administrative experience to the Board of Regents. During a 25 year career in secondary and higher education, he has served as Dean of Academics and Dean of Admissions at the Academy at Swift River in Massachusetts, Director of Academics at Cascade School in California, Director of Admissions at Blue Ridge School in Virginia, and Professor of Philosophy at the University of Southwestern Louisiana.

Timothy Brace, M.C.
Headmaster
Mr. Brace has truly inspired a generation of students through his vision, innovation and educational leadership. During his distinguished career over the past 25 years, he has served as Headmaster or Executive Director at several secondary boarding schools, including Mt. Bachelor Academy in Oregon and the Academy at Swift River in Massachusetts. With a wealth of knowledge and experience in working with young people and their families that is virtually unmatched, Mr. Brace holds a Bachelor of Arts from the United States Naval Academy and a Master of Counseling from Arizona State University.

Andrew Coe, M.S.
Dean of Student Life
Mr. Coe, who has a long history of experience working with adolescents and families, holds a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Furman University and a Master of Science in Marriage and Family Therapy from the University of Kentucky. His work experience includes individual and group counseling as well as supervisory positions at several secondary schools and Presbyterian College. Most recently, Mr. Coe served as the Assistant Director of Counseling at the Academy at Swift River, where he was responsible for the oversight, development and supervision of both students and counselors.

Kelly Dunbar, B.A.
Dean of Admissions
With almost 20 years of experience working with adolescents, families, and educational consultants, Ms. Dunbar brings a wide range of knowledge and expertise to the Carlbrook admissions faculty. Over the course of her career, Ms. Dunbar worked for seven years in counseling, two years in secondary school admissions, and three years in counseling supervision. Ms. Dunbar holds a Bachelor?s degree in Psychology from Simpson College and has taken graduate courses in Marriage and Family Therapy at National University.

Jonathan Gurney, M.S.W., A.C.S.W.
Dean of Alumni and Transition Services
Mr. Gurney, who received his Bachelor of Arts and Master of Social Work degrees from Indiana University, has over 20 years experience working with children and their families. As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker he worked as an Outpatient Family Therapist before serving as the Program Director of a dual inpatient/outpatient adolescent program during his tenure at the Charter Behavioral Health organization. Most recently, Mr. Gurney served as Clinical Director of a licensed wilderness program for adolescents in the Pacific Northwest, where he was responsible for oversight of all clinical services.

Matthew Lovell, M.A., L.M.F.T
Dean of Advising
Mr. Lovell received his Bachelor of Arts in Rhetoric from the University of California at Berkeley, and his Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology from John F. Kennedy University. A Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Adjunct Professor at National University, Mr. Lovell has taught courses in child development and family therapy and has nearly 20 years of clinical counseling experience both in the public and private sectors. His former positions include Program Supervisor at Franklin House, Mental Health Specialist at Herrick Hospital, Program Director at Cascade School, and private practice Family Therapist.

R. Grant Price, M.A.
Dean of Faculty
After receiving his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of South Carolina, Mr. Price earned his Master of Arts degree from California State University, focusing on the study and analysis of various educational models. Prior to Carlbrook, Mr. Price worked as a Certified Educational Consultant in Columbia, SC, where he evaluated hundreds of educational programs, conducted individual student evaluations and assessments, and identified appropriate educational environments for students. He is a former member of the Independent Educational Consultants Association.

Amy R. McCormick, M.S.W., L.C.S.W
Assistant Dean of Advising
A Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Ms. McCormick graduated magna cum laude with her Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Master of Social Work degrees from the University of Maine. Prior to to joining the Carlbrook team, Ms. McCormick served as a Residence Director at the University of Maine and as a Program Manager at Shaw House, a residential facility for adolescents.

Angela Caine, M.S.S.W.
Advisor
Ms. Caine received her Bachelor of Social Science in Psychology from Indiana University and her Master of Science in Social Work from the University of Louisville, where she was selected for the National Dean?s List. She has several years of experience in individual, group and family counseling, most recently worked as a Therapist for Wellstone Regional Hospital and LifeSpring Mental Health Services in southern Indiana.

Julie Dyer, M.S.
Advisor
Ms. Dyer holds both a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from Florida Atlantic University and a Master of Science degree in Clinical Psychology from Radford University. She has worked as an adolescent therapist for several years, first with young females at Tekoa Residential Treatment Center and later as a substance abuse counselor at the Division of Addiction Services in Richmond.

Bridget Gitthens, M.A.
Advisor
Mrs. Gitthens holds a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and a Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy from Appalachian State University. During her years of counseling experience she has served both individuals and families in the areas of substance abuse, domestic violence and sexual assault. Her recent work experience includes positions at OASIS and Kaiser Permanente.

Trevor Grimes, M.A.
Advisor
Mr. Grimes received his Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from the State University of New York at Geneseo and his Master of Arts in Social Work from the State University of New York at Stony Brook. His counseling experience includes work in educational and clinical settings, including the Lindenhurst School District (NY) and the Dept. of Family Medicine at Stony Brook University Hospital.

Brandy Litwin, M.S.W.
Advisor
Ms. Litwin received both her Bachelor of Science in Psychology and her Master of Social Work degree from Western Michigan University. She possesses counseling experience with both adolescent and adult populations, having been a counseling supervisor for an adult foster care home as well as a high school counselor. Most recently she served as a school social worker at Harbor Creek School in Michigan.

Jen McArthur, M.S.W.
Advisor
Ms. McArthur, who holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Warren Wilson College and a Master of Social Work from Brigham Young University, has worked with adolescents for several years, including at-risk youth and socio-economically challenged populations. Her experience includes counseling positions with Wasatch Mental Health, Trend Community Mental Health, and Alldredge Academy.

Johan Madson, M.Ed.
Advisor
With a Bachelor of Arts from Oberlin College and a Master of Education in Human Development Counseling from Vanderbilt University, Mr. Madson?s experience includes several school counseling positions in Tennessee and North Carolina (in both public and private settings). Most recently he was employed by the Office of Residence Life at Portland State University in Oregon.

Sally Martin, M.S.W.
Advisor
Mrs. Martin received her Bachelor of Social Work from James Madison University and her Master of Social Work from Virginia Commonwealth University. Mrs. Martin has worked her entire career with adolescents experiencing emotional and/or behavioral difficulties, whether as a Residential Counselor at Seneca in California, a Child and Family Counselor at Devereaux in Arizona, or as Assistant Clinical Director at Phoenix Outdoor in North Carolina.

Daniel Perry, M.A., L.L.P.C.
Advisor
Mr. Perry holds a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice from Lake Superior State University in Michigan and a Master of Arts in Counseling from Central Michigan University. He has worked with adolescents for several years in both residential and private practice settings, and was previously the director of a day-treatment program for adolescents with substance abuse problems.

Mindi Perry, M.S.W., L.M.S.W.
Advisor
Mrs. Perry earned a Bachelor of Science in Sociology from Lake Superior State University and a Master of Social Work from Grand Valley State University. With extensive experience in individual and family counseling, she has held a private practice specializing in children and adolescents, worked with Child and Family Services and Community Mental Health of Northeast Michigan, and most recently was a behavioral health consultant at Alcona Health Center.

Denise Prendergast, M.S.S.W.
Advisor
Ms. Prendergast earned a Bachelor of Science in Psychology at Michigan State University and a Masters of Science in the School of Social Work at Columbia University. She most recently served as a volunteer in the Peace Corps in Botswana where she counseled those infected and affected with HIV/AIDS. Prior to that Ms. Prendergast worked extensively with children and adolescents in both residential and outpatient settings and was a counseling supervisor at the San Diego Center for Children.

Natalie Sisson, M.S.W.
Advisor
Ms. Sisson received her Bachelor of Science in Social Work from Illinois State University and later graduated cum laude with a Master of Social Work from the University of Georgia. A member of the National Association of Social Workers, she has previously worked with adolescents as a residential counselor at Chestnut Health Systems and most recently as a therapist at Peace Place.

Kathianne Smith, M.S.W., L.C.S.W.
Advisor
Mrs. Smith earned a Bachelor of Science from Barat College and a Masters in Social Work from the University of Illinois. She has over 20 years experience in the field and has worked with adolescents and families in both outpatient and inpatient settings. Certified in the Commonwealth of Virginia as an expert witness, Mrs. Smith has worked in private practice and holds over 12 years post-license experience.

Nathan Webber, B.A., M.A. candidate
Advisor
Mr. Webber holds a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from the University of Toledo and is a candidate for a Master of Arts in Professional Counseling from Argosy University. He has worked with adolescents for several years, first as a Counselor at Three Springs and then as a Therapist at Cumberland Mental Health. A member of the National Guard, he completed a tour of duty in Iraq in 2003.

Alicia Woodworth, M.S., L.P.C.
Advisor
A Licensed Professional Counselor, Ms. Woodworth earned a Bachelor of Arts in Communication from Western Michigan University and a Master of Science in Clinical Counseling Psychology from Francis Marion University. For the past several years she has worked with adolescents as a Clinical Counselor at Circle Park Behavioral Health Services, conducting individual, group and family sessions.

Frank A. Chesno, Ph.D.
Consulting Psychologist
Dr. Chesno, a licensed clinical psychologist with almost 30 years experience working with families, earned his doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of Georgia, with pre-doctoral training completed at the College of William and Mary. He is a member of the American Psychological Association and has served as president of the South Carolina Academy of Professional Psychologists. Currently, Dr. Chesno serves as Director of Behavioral Medicine Services at Baptist Medical Center.

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »
At the time we had to make a decision, Anne, I believed this was the best option for our son.  In fact, it was.  Not everyone came out of the program and did well, but my son has.  I guess in the case of this kid and several others I can discuss, the program did not adversely impact them.  On the other hand, not going to Carlbrook would have led to a totally different outcome.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2007, 09:50:39 PM »
At the time we had to make a decision, Anne, I believed this was the best option for our son.  In fact, it was.  Not everyone came out of the program and did well, but my son has.  I guess in the case of this kid and several others I can discuss, the program did not adversely impact them.  On the other hand, not going to Carlbrook would have led to a totally different outcome.

No matter how much you want to believe you do, you have no fucking clue how things would have turned out had he not gone.  Not one.

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »
I find the credentials of the staff more than adequate.
I do agree that substance abuse treatment was not a strength, but that didn't affect my son.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2007, 09:52:05 PM »
Besides, it's kind of a moot point anyway since Deb just blew you out of the water.

Again.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Offline Charly

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2007, 09:53:30 PM »
Yes, Anne. I do.  I know enough about education to know what his options were with and without Carlbrook.  He has said as much himself. It allowed a transition to where he needed and wanted to be.  He could not have gotten there otherwise-  he tried and it didn't work.  
It is you who have "no fucking clue."

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
The Carlbrook thread
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2007, 09:54:25 PM »
So let me get this straight.  You agree that there was substandard education, unlicensed staff, questionable (if not abusive) confrontational tactics at Carlbrook and that's all just fine with you?  It "worked" for your son.   You really don't care how, you just know he's different.

Wow.  You sure got your money's worth, huh?
 :roll: