Author Topic: I Hate Rock and Roll  (Read 4154 times)

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:39:02 PM »
Let's face it, rock and roll sucks.  All of it, all it's derivitives and subgenres.  It's dead, rehashed and sold back to you in beer ads and Cadillac coommercials.  Punk rock, too, those guys sold out cheaper than the hippies did, and faster.  I know yuppie stockbrokers who listen to the Stooges and Ramones (and hundreds of other bands you've never heard of) in their BMWs while going home to their McMansion.  Rock and roll at it's height creates creeps like Mick Jagger or suicides like Curt Cobain, never mind the drivel that actually wishes to aspire to either of those two excesses.  Performed by creeps for the pleasure of cretins, or vice versa, rock and roll is over, Daddy, it's played out.  Fuck I'm bored.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 10:52:05 PM »
You feelin' ok RTP?  :o

You don't sound like yourself at all tonight!  :exclaim:

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 11:23:14 PM »
No, I'm pretty far from OK, for a number of reasons.  I'll keep this one "on topic", though.  I was noticing how rarely I listen to a song and actually like it, unless it's some Coltrane jazz stuff, or something different.  I'm jaded.  Right now I still hate rock and roll.  It bores me and it used to be so thrilling.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »
Quote from: ""RTP2003""
No, I'm pretty far from OK, for a number of reasons.  I'll keep this one "on topic", though.  I was noticing how rarely I listen to a song and actually like it, unless it's some Coltrane jazz stuff, or something different.  I'm jaded.  Right now I still hate rock and roll.  It bores me and it used to be so thrilling.

I can dig taking breaks from music in general, not just rock & roll. Silence can be golden, at least every now and then.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 11:45:22 PM »
Whoa!!  OK  Everybody stand back and let the man breathe, breathe in the air...  I've seen this before...It's Rock 'n' rollisitus,  Inflamation of the consciousness due to excessive rockin'.  Symptoms include irritability, awareness of reality and a craving to play with guns.

If he doesn't improve on his own we may have to perform a rock 'n' roll-adectomy, which is pretty scary... ::hehehmm::  

Don't worry RTP, I'm just kiddin about the operation.  These things generally run their course and you should be fine in a few days.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »
Oh and I agree, silence is sweet.  A lot of days I don't even listen to any commercial music, not even in my truck when I'm drivin.  In fact I once went most of a year without turning on the radio in my truck, even though I drove every day.

RTP you may have just over-done it.  Played it all to death.

I hope you feel better.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 11:59:24 PM »
Yeah, I'll be OK< I'm just irkked at everything right now.

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 12:07:27 AM »
That's the way it goes sometimes...Do you ever watch silent movies ??  They're pretty cool.  I sometimes like to toke up for the midnight silent feature on TCM.  Le Terre is playin now...gotta go.

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 02:55:02 AM »
Case in point--I just heard a song by Coldplay.  THose guys really suck, although I wiill admit to liking the song, "Clocks", which was the one I just heard, when it first came out.  I was also in a pretty fucked up headspace, and feeling kinda responsible for this close friend getting in a really fucked up situation (I wasn't, it was her own damn fault, something about a pretty face can make you torture yourself needlessly.  I hear she's a devout Catholic nowadays, goes to Mass every day.  Well god bless her soul!  And to think, the whole time we were getting freaky into drugs and sex, she had a whole complex of Catholic guilt built up--sweet!).  Anyway, so back to Coldplay, "Clocks", and why I hate rock and roll.  This chixck and I would make roadtrips to score prescription drugs, hitting up different places in different cities.  We'd get bored of our music and listen to local FM radio.  Once, for about a week, we coulddn't miss hearing the sonmg"Clocks" wherever we went--Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, Atlanta--we'd hear it everywhere we ewent.  It has a line in it, "Am I part of the cure/Or am I part of the disease".  This was back when I still pretty much subscribed to the 12 Step disease model, although I damn sure didn't  waste any of my time believing or practicing any of their other bullshit.  I just figured I was terminalluy a junkie, and fuck everything else.  Then I hooked up with this chick again, and she hadsd a kid since I had last seen her.  I felt like I was fucking her up, even being around her.  I wasa, but she was fucking me up, too, so wee're even.  I hope she's doing OK, and coping with the Catholic guilt and all.  Poor stupid girl.

Anyway, I hate rock and roll cause it brings up stupid memories that I feel like I have to purge by posting on some stupid survivor website 'cause I can't fucking sleep at night without drugs to knock  me out.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 11:01:17 AM »
I think this thread has potential!

A long while back, I wanted to start a thread that consisted of people ragging on music they have an aversion to. I had been thinking about how certain music played on the radio was chapping my ass, so I PMed Verbal Razors to see if he was perhaps into starting that sort of thread. It's funny you mention Coldplay since they werepart of my inspiration for starting that thread back then:

Verbal Razors' Big Badass Music Review

Offline Captain Kidd

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 07:22:59 PM »
I blame Robert Johnson for rock and roll and Elvis. I thank Miles Davis and all the masters like Bartok' for restoration of our freeom of expression without being vile.Jazz and classical music come to the fore front of it all. Yet I can get past anything structural on my axes because of my pissed off perdicament. I can only play off the top of my head. Screw recordings and stuff and concerts of drunkards and drug addicts. People perish. Look at how Robert Johnson died. Whisky and Lye.
AARRR!!! Mmatey\'s ya scurvy dogs, hoist the main, swab the poop-deck, walk the plank.AAARRR!!!

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 08:02:01 PM »
I ask because of your screen name: do you like Captain Beefheart?

Just curious; I think he defied rock & roll in some ways...

Offline Captain Kidd

• View Profile
I Hate Rock and Roll
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 09:33:03 AM »
True, I heard an album once when I was a youngster and was stoned and it scared me. It didn't cast a spellof lyrics or tunes. It just damned well made me spit up me mantrum
AARRR!!! Mmatey\'s ya scurvy dogs, hoist the main, swab the poop-deck, walk the plank.AAARRR!!!