Author Topic: Friendly reminder.  (Read 38720 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« on: December 31, 2006, 05:03:29 PM »
Sorry for advertising Fornits mods and admins, just wanted to refresh everyone's memory about http://www.antiwwasp.com - The site has grown a lot in the past year and there is plenty of new forum discussion taking place. Everyone is encouraged to register for free and contribute your opinions. I know that some of the most seasoned internet activists come to these forums, I'm asking for all of your help in creating some new conversation (full of substance) for my forums. I see that there is a lot of love here and everyone wants to help each other as well.

We have ex-students showing up at the site asking for help and I do my best, but unfortunately as of late I don't think I can do it all myself. I designed the site from the ground up and try my best to administrate the forums, the website, and create fresh content, but I don't have the knowledge or experience to coach parents asking for help.

Please, anyone, if you could become a part of both this forum and my own, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm always open to fresh ideas and new suggestions, so if you have any please email me at [email protected] - kev (antiwwasp.com)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 05:29:19 PM »
Awesome site, keep up the good fight man.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:47:36 PM »
It looks good  :exclaim:  :exclaim:  :exclaim:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 11:15:43 PM »
Yeah, looking good Kev.  But why the link to an org like CAICA?  Frankly, that really surprises me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 11:22:43 PM »
Holy Shit Kevin!  You even have ads for PURE and programs like Ironwood on your website?  WTF is that about?  (These ads may not appear as shown to others if they are random, but they showed up when I clicked on this page).  Honestly, isn't there some other way you can raise funds to operate your site?  This really struck a nerve with me, but maybe others are not so sensitive. In every other way, your site rocks.

http://www.antiwwasp.com/jim.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 11:30:06 PM »
Kev, please tell me these are google ads and NOT paid advertising?  Under the ad for "What Every Parent Needs To Know' (which is a direct link to the program referral service PURE) it says click here to advertise on this site.  PURE is on ISAC's program and referral watch list, in case you were not aware and maybe wanted to rethink this concept.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 11:38:49 PM »
http://http://troubled--teen.net/?gclid=CJ_Ij_TzwIkCFSNQYwodWzwGOg

Ok, I have changed my mind.  One of the ads took me to a page with links to WWASPS Teen Help marketing websites. (see above)

I can not in good conscious support this kind of revenue-building activiity but wish you all the best, nevertheless.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 03:24:59 AM »
Yes unfortunately some see my inability to filter out these ads as hypocritical. I try to keep up with and filter wwasp's deceptive adwords labeling techniques and massive swarm of teen help websites from being viewed in my adsense ads as frequently as possibly. I simply have neither the time nor patience to do this every single day but I would like to make this point. If you are a parent or whatever reading an ad on my page, you are reading the message that is on that page before you ever see an ad. If I've clearly outlined my position with these programs (the entire site is dedicated to one point), and a parent understands what I'm saying and still chooses to view the program through the link anyway, should i not profit from it and use that money to spread the message regardless of their intention? I guess I'm conflicted. I basically see that if they wanted information about that particular school to see what it's about, they are going to get there one way or another, does it really matter where they come or who sends them there? And is it not better for them to view my site first, beforehand, having an objective opinion of these schools before the teen help website they are viewing starts filling their mind with garbage? I'm sorry if these ads are a problem for anyone but they are going to  help me to buy new domains in the "teen" genre that will point to the main website to help educate people as well as try to disrupt the monopoly that teen help has created within almost every major search engine. These ads will also allow me to print professional flyers that many people dedicated to spreading this message are willing to hand out. I hope you can understand that the money is at the very least going to a good cause, even if you don't agree with them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 03:37:40 AM »
Personally, I think it does matter but hey, if you wanna believe the "ends justify the means" that's your "business".

Other advocacy websites have found ways to support their needs without going down this road.  Why not get a sponsor who doesn't profit from locking kids up?  Or sell books related to the issues and get a small percentage of the sales from Amazon (like Fornits & ISAC do)?  I'm sure someone as creative and talented as you appear to be can think of any number of ways to get around this issue without promoting the very PROGRAMS that killed the 3 WWASPS kids on your website.  

Just my 2 cents.  It's a good thing you are trying to do but the promotional ads and links to referral services like PURE and TEEN HELP, LIFELINES,  seriously DILUTES the message you are trying to get across.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 04:17:02 AM »
5troubledteen.org
troubled--teen.net

These two urls were relatively new and were added to the filter today, as I mentioned before I do try to keep any links that point to wwasp affiliated schools off my website, and thank you for the compliment by the way.

I would love to offer a real solution to parents, but unfortunately unless someone can tell me otherwise, I don't have many alternatives for people asking for help. I don't know much about boarding schools outside of WWASP as I'm not an educational consultant of any kind, just someone trying to have an opinion. If anyone here with experience would like to give me something else to recommend to the parents asking for my help, please let me know [email protected]. Or if you could help me which url's you are being led to I would really appreciate the heads up so that the ads can be removed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 04:50:06 AM »
I would be willing to also I think his site is doing a lot more good than harm, that's FORE SURE  :exclaim:  :exclaim:  :exclaim:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 10:25:17 AM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I would be willing to also I think his site is doing a lot more good than harm, that's FORE SURE  :exclaim:  :exclaim:  :exclaim:

Ditto.

I wish more of these web savvy kids would do what Kev has done. Its a shame people want to kick them in the teeth, instead of patting them on the back.

The google adds are one way to keep these web sites up and running. Counting on public support can be very disappointing.  And its worth noting that keeping a site and forum up and running can be an expense people can't afford with out some assistance.

So Kev - Kudos to you, and may 2007 see you blessed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 04:22:50 PM »
Thank you all for wanting to help, I will soon be "stealing" if you will the top search engine positions for each individual WWASP school. For example, http://springcreeklodge.antiwwasp.com contains much more search engine friendly "material" than wwasp's own Spring Creek Lodge pages (blueslide.com and springcreeklodge.com).

Meaning that with a little time, I should have each of my descriptions put in front of parents, before the schools themselves even get a chance to make a point. They're about to get a huge wakeup call the next time the spiders (googlebot) revisit my pages. I've already achieved 4th place rankings in EVERY major search engine for the search term WWASP. Pretty much any search phrase with "WWASP" in it will let you find my pages.

With the donation amounts you are proposing, I may even be able to launch an adwords campaign to help take back the web from Teen-Help. Your contributions mean a lot. And as someone mentioned before, I do have to maintain a host with high bandwidth limits for the forums, which is not cheap, thank you for understanding that.

And for anyone who ever says I never tried anything else, Amazon.com simply coulndn't pay the bills, selling a 20.00 book once a month made me a rediculous $1.12 or something similar.

Thanks for everyone who has been understanding, and willing to overlook a few ads for the overall value of the information contained on my website. Believe me, if you ever want to put your money to good use, I have a good place to invest it and I am extremely dedicated to making a difference. Donation options are available through the main website. http://www.antiwwasp.com - If you have any questions I answer every single email sent to me (except spam) so if you'd like more information or just want to chat, I'm always open to it.

Offline CCM girl 1989

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 01:28:47 AM »
I'd like to help, let me know what I can do.
f you were never in a program, or a parent of a child in a program, then you have no business posting here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Friendly reminder.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 02:33:49 AM »
Kev,

Here's the DEAL:

Your website is called ANTI-WWASP.

But if you are selling ADS to CAICA and PURE:

Then you might as well be ADVERTISING:
SEND YOUR KIDS TO PROGRAMS that may be just as bad as WWASP, OK?

Just because a Program ain't WWASP does not mean it ain't abusive---got it?

You are only kidding yourself, if you even think you aren't helping to sell programs.

CAICA and PURE are laughing their butts off IMO.