Author Topic: Academy at Swift River - Information Needed - IMPORTANT  (Read 17187 times)

Offline PFRR

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfrr.org
Academy at Swift River - Information Needed - IMPORTANT
« on: June 18, 2006, 01:31:00 PM »
Hello -

Although people do not like the fact that programs are even in exhistance - the fact is they are.  I am drafting a letter in the next week to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts EEC which is the licensing agency for all Residential and Group Care Facilitie in MA.  I did this with Desisto after going to Court - etc. they were forced to license and instead of meeting standards chose to pack up and leave.  I strongly feel that ASW meets the standards of having to license and meet standards.  The problem I have is that I am seeking more evidence of this - they do administer restraint, medication, and take kids with special education needs as well.  Alot of these kids are not publically funded where the statistics are not then available under the Freedom of Information Act.  

If anyone has any information (substantial) regarding this program please email me directly at [email protected] with ASR in subject tag if you are a former student or parent with your name and dates you were or your child was there please and let me know if you or your child was:
On Medication while there, receiving Special Education Services, Restrained (if so type of method and by who staff other residents etc.), or anything relevent.  Aslo if you had or your child has or had a diagnoses while there - under EEC definitions it is clear that Special Needs is a much broader definition than in education.  

The bottom line is they are there, staying open, taking kids in and providing care 24 hours a day for these young people and should have to meet standards and have oversight as well. I am looking for clear evidence that the kids there or who have gone (the past maybe 3 - 5 years) meet the definition of Special Needs under EEC Regulations so they will have to license and meet standards at least - health, welfare, safety and appropriate service delivery are a priority if these places are to be in business.

I thank you in advance.  

Andrea
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »
I work at ASR, and as a small response to your post, we do not ever do restraints. We are not trained to do so, and so do not.  The police would be called immediately should there be a safety problem, and there has not been in over 3 years.

Most of our students are medicated, and we have consulting psychiatrists who oversee this process.  

I would qualify all of our students as have special needs-  that is why they have ended up at a therapeutic boarding school of course.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »
On 2006-06-21 15:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I work at ASR, and as a small response to your post, we do not ever do restraints. We are not trained to do so, and so do not.  The police would be called immediately should there be a safety problem, and there has not been in over 3 years.

Most of our students are medicated, and we have consulting psychiatrists who oversee this process.  

I would qualify all of our students as have special needs-  that is why they have ended up at a therapeutic boarding school of course."

Do they ever:
 Put children in isolation?
 Make them stare in the mirror for hours ?
 Withhold food as punishment?
 Are they allowed to write letters home?
 Can they call home?
 Can they go to the bathroom when they want?
 Are they used as labor to repair the property?

Just for starters, It is nice to have some up to date first hand info.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
I am happy to engage in a honest conversation.

1)  No, we do not ever put children in forced isolation.  Occasionally students participate in voluntary solos for a couple of hours to reflect and work on writing assignments.

2)  No, students are not forced to look into the mirror for hours.  What would be the purpose of that?

3)  We do not withhold food.  We have a great food service called Sage that does an excellent job.

4)  They are encouraged to write letter home frequently, and also are encourgaed to write to friends who will be positive influences when the students graduate.

5)  They each have a scheduled call home at least once a week.  Many of them also do conference calls with their counselors to help them address more sensitive issues with family members.

6) The bathrooms are available any time the kids or staff need to use them.

7)  We have Work Projects on the weekends as a consequence for negative behavior.  This includes doing chores such as gardening or cleaning as well as community service.  It lasts 2 hours and the staff work with the kids.  The kids are also assigned to crews and do 20 minutes of general cleaning each morning after breakfast.  This involves cleaning the dining room, straightening up common areas-  general cleaning to take care of our space.  We have a maintenance team that does repairs and cleaning beyond basic chores that most kids would help with at home.

I hope this is helpful.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »
On 2006-06-21 16:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

1)  No, we do not ever put children in forced isolation.  Occasionally students participate in voluntary solos for a couple of hours to reflect and work on writing assignments.

What do the writing assignments involve?

4)  They are encouraged to write letter home frequently, and also are encourgaed to write to friends who will be positive influences when the students graduate.

Do the staff read the letters before they're sent home or to friends?  Are the kids allowed to write to any extended family member they choose to?

5)  They each have a scheduled call home at least once a week.  Many of them also do conference calls with their counselors to help them address more sensitive issues with family members.

Do they have the opportunity to call more than once a week?  Is the child permitted to have a private call with family or friends if they so desire?

7)  We have Work Projects on the weekends as a consequence for negative behavior.

What types of negative behavior would bring about work projects?

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
On 2006-06-21 16:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am happy to engage in a honest conversation.

2)  No, students are not forced to look into the mirror for hours.  What would be the purpose of that?

3)  We do not withhold food.  We have a great food service called Sage that does an excellent job.

6) The bathrooms are available any time the kids or staff need to use them.

7)  We have Work Projects on the weekends as a consequence for negative behavior.  This includes doing chores such as gardening or cleaning as well as community service.  It lasts 2 hours and the staff work with the kids.  The kids are also assigned to crews and do 20 minutes of general cleaning each morning after breakfast.  This involves cleaning the dining room, straightening up common areas-  general cleaning to take care of our space.  We have a maintenance team that does repairs and cleaning beyond basic chores that most kids would help with at home.

I hope this is helpful."

Thank you, I hope you stick around.  You might get hammered pretty hard here (try to hang in), not many people like honest feed back, here, if it shows any school in a positive light.  I had a daughter there several years ago and would be interested to see how the program has progressed since.  I will have more questions.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
If the writing assignments are a consequence for acting out, the assignments may focus on what they were feeling that led to their behavior, what were the results both negative and positive of their behavior, how did their behavior affect others...what can they try to do differently next time.  Some writing assignments are given to help a student work thru an issue-  like cutting, family relationships, insecurities.  They are designed to help kids look at how they think, how they feel, and what they have do and can do differently in reaction to their feelings and thoughts.

The staff do read most incoming and outgoing mail.  We have had parents tell kids they were adopted out of the blue, friends try to smuggle drugs in, very hurtful letters go back and forth.  We work with both parents and kids to learn more effective communication styles.  In most situatiosn kids can write to extended family members.

For similar reasons, kids are not permitted to have unsupervised calls until later in their program.  Kids are able to discuss anything they want.  We only redirect them if they become disrespectful.  We have over 100 students which limits our ability to allow them to make more than 1-2 calls home per week.

Kids would earn work projects for many things- disrespect, for being consistently late to classes, or for breaking our sex, drug, or violence agreements.  The idea is that when you take away from the community, you should do something positive to give back.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »
Thank you for answering the questions.  Who is right, it may get heated for you in here.  I hope you stay also.  We probably won't agree on much but if you can ignore the bullshit and just deal with people who are engaging in an actual dialogue we both may learn something.  

On 2006-06-21 17:14:00, Anonymous wrote:

The staff do read most incoming and outgoing mail.  We have had parents tell kids they were adopted out of the blue, friends try to smuggle drugs in, very hurtful letters go back and forth.

That tells me why you would monitor incoming mail, why the mail going from child to parent?

One of the things that bothered me the most when I was in (not ASR) was that I completely lost touch with what was going on outside of the school.  I felt like I had no system of checks and balances when something didn't feel right.  I was isolated and surrounded by people who all thought the exact same way.  Dissent was not appreciated.  I had no frame of reference anymore to what was normal.  This is one of the many major problems I have with monitoring or censoring communication, especially between parent and child.

Do the kids have access to television or newspapers?  No, not because I think not having TV is abusive (before all the assumption begin).  What I'm asking is do they know what's going on in the outside world.  I didn't.  Missed two years of my life.

Do you use LGAT type seminars? (This may have been answered by Who before but I've been gone a while and can't remember).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »
I appreciate the chance to have a good dialogue and will do my best to ignore people who are disrespectful.  Thanks for the heads up.

Letters from kids to parents are read pretty thoroughly in the first part of the program because kids can be really hurtful and disrespectful.  Most are very angry at their parents for sending them away or for situations at home.  We try to support them and guide them as they begin to take these issues on and learn to trust their family again.  We do not censor the letters for content unless they are really out of control-  in that case we would teach the student about effective communication and try to help them re-write the letter in a more productive way.

I know that people here have said that staff could be abusing the kids and not allow kids a way to report it.  I can only say that I would never work for a place that did this and that I trust my co-workers 100 percent.  

I understand your comments about feeling isolated from the outside world.  I do think that this tends to happen at ASR, despite our attempt not to allow it to.  Kids do receive newspapers and magazines, and are allowed to watch some tv-  including news, sports, and appropriate movies (no sex, drugs, violence).  We often talk about current events in meetings to help the kids stay in contact with the "outside" world.  They also have trips on weekends and during school breaks.  

I do think it's easy to lose sight of what "normal" teens are doing and thinking.  We challenge the students to be really self-reflective and take on an emotional maturity that many teens don't have.  Their awarness of their emotions may make them feel a little isolated from their peers after graduation.

As far as there being one ASR mindset,  certainly there is a great diversity among students and staff at ASR, which I think prevents there from being one belief system.  Kids and staff challenge one another's thinking all the time and respectful sharing of opinions (negative and positive) are encouraged.

Honestly, I have only heard the term LGAT seminars here and don't know much about them.  We have lifesteps which have changed a lot recently and are designed to be team building and trust building seminars.  They used to be focused on taking kids deep into their pain in order to help them understand it and heal, and now they are about increasing self esteem and connection to others.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
So you've read some here.

How did you find Fornits?

What is your position with ASR?

Why has ASR refused to be licensed and monitored by the state all these years?

Any comments on this action?
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... &forum=9&7

Is there any outside entity that ASR is required to report injuries, assaults, sexual inpropriaties, etc. to?

When did you stop taking kids 'deep into their pain"?

How was it decided that this form of experimental therapy was harmful and should be changed?

BTW, seminars that take kids deep into their pain, sounds very much like LGAT. You honestly have never heard of est, Lifespring?

In your opinion, what is beneficial about putting teens in a 'bubble' and pretending that sex, drugs, violence aren't part of their world? Seems that movies with those themes would be good catalysts for discussion.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »
Your respect isn't worth two shits in a tin cup, programmie.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »
I heard about fornits through co-workers.

I do not want to disclose my position at ASR.

ASR is a part of the Mohawk Regional school system and does comply with state regulations as a part of this school system.  Also we are over a year into the accreditation process and are following all state and federal rules.

We are manadated by law to report allegations of abuse to the state.  We report all injuries and such to Aspen and to the parents and any other parties we are required to.  If there are assaults, they usually result in immediate expulsion.

As I said, I never heard of LGAT before reading about it here.  Lifesteps were not changed because they were deemed harmful.  They have changed because we have decided to become a more individualized program and take on that level of therapeutic work in individual sessions.  

We do not pretend that sex, drugs, and violece aren't a part of their world.  We take those issues on in a therapeutic manner and do occasionally show movies with those themes and then process them.  The movies I was refering to showing were for entertainment-  in which case we censor them to prevent kids from being triggered negatively when processing isn't possible.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the chance to have a good discussion here.  Good night everyone.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
On 2006-06-21 19:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Thanks for the chance to have a good discussion here.  Good night everyone."

You too, thank you for your candor tonight.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »
I smell a set up job. Let see some proof that the anon is a legit employee. Since you are speaking so well of the school what will hurt you to step forward with your true identity?

NOT a thing.