Author Topic: Academy at Swift River - Information Needed - IMPORTANT  (Read 17188 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Academy at Swift River - Information Needed - IMPORTANT
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
I had heard that ASR addressed the problem that some of the kids were having transitioning back to home life.  I know this was a problem with my daughter.  Has anything been done to address this over the past few years that you know of?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »
Boredom on the weekends is definitely worse in the winter when we are cooped up, but we do offer ski/ snowboarding club, snow shoeing, crafts, use of our indoor athletic facilities and indoor climbing wall.  In the summer we send kids outside a lot and try to have a lot of organized sports and activities.  As I'm sure you know, it can be difficult to get teens excited about participating in group events-  many complain and perfer to do their own thing.  Once they are pushed to try something new, they often love it.  So it's a bit of a push pull.  If we had more money or bigger vans, we could get more kids off campus, volunteering, visiting museums and other cultural spots, bring more varied performers to ASR, etc.  

We have not had a kid try to run away in at least 6 months.  We are taking much "softer" kids than we did a few year back, and they are generally more compliant and less out of control.  So they are more apt to talk things through with staff instead of trying to run.  We do not confront as hard as we used to.  We give kids more healthy outlets for their frustration than we used to.  

I would say that most kids adapt well to our environment and are happy on a daily basis.  I often see kids laughing and participating in fun events, yet then go into a phone call with their parents and talk about how much they hate ASR.  I wish I had a videotape to show the parents that life at ASR is a pretty fun, very safe place.  Once kids make it thru the halfway point, they usually can admit that they are making great friendships and love most of the staff.   Of course, there are always a couple kids who cannot adapt and are abnormally unhappy at ASR, and usually they move onto other places before long.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »
On 2006-06-22 15:02:00, TheWho wrote:

"I had heard that ASR addressed the problem that some of the kids were having transitioning back to home life.  I know this was a problem with my daughter.  Has anything been done to address this over the past few years that you know of?"

That is the number one reason why we have shifted to individualized care over the past year and a half.  We know that some kids needed more help, more time before being able to make that transition home.  Yet they were pushed thru the program because the completed each lifestep and family resolution.  Now kids go at their own pace, not the schedule that is set upon enrollment.  We are developing more family workshops to help assist with the transition and parents are invited to ASR much more frequently, as well as kids being allowed to go home on more "practice runs".  There is a lot more to be done to address this issue, and I would say that it the #1 therapeutic priority right now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »

"I had heard that ASR addressed the problem that some of the kids were having transitioning back to home life.  I know this was a problem with my daughter.  Has anything been done to address this over the past few years that you know of?"

Do you mind telling what peer group your daughter was in?  ASR has changed a lot, and that would help me understand what ASR was like when your family experienced it.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »
On 2006-06-22 15:18:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Do you mind telling what peer group your daughter was in?  ASR has changed a lot, and that would help me understand what ASR was like when your family experienced it."

It was during the time Dave Marcus was researching his book.  I think it was Peer group 21, 22.  Funny I used to know it off the top of my head, 21 I think.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »
That was right around the tail end of ASR's heyday.  It was quite a different school then than it is now.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »
Just because you can use a proxy doesn't mean you get to talk to yourself, Who.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
On 2006-06-22 15:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

"That was right around the tail end of ASR's heyday.  It was quite a different school then than it is now.  "

I still get the news letters of how the kids are doing, new gym, new dorms, updated food services, how the graduates from different peer groups are doing in college/ life etc. (Its nice to hear the stories!)

Do you get any feed back on the ones that dont do well?  Go back to the way they were?  The ones that ASR could not help?

Are there any independent studies going on that you are aware of that are attempting to measure the effectiveness of the program?  or any measurements that ASR is doing on post graduates?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 06:44:00 PM »
I talk to a lot of former students, some who are doing great, many who are in college to study psychology, and some who are not doing so well.  A lot of kids go back into substance abuse.  I think before a year ago, we did not do enough to address that issue.  Some kids cannot seem to heal their relationships with their families, and still experience pretty severe loneliness.  We hear a lot of stories about other kids through the kids who do stay in contact.  Many of them go to the same schools after ASR-  Dublin, White Mountain, etc. and stay in touch.  Some kids totally bomb, but I would say that most take about a year to test themselves and then seem to look back with appreciation of what they accomplished at ASR.   This is the impression I get from the kids who stay in touch with me.  

I do not know what measurments are being done to quantify success. I would like to see statistics as well.  I think it's been hard to get those numbers because it's hard to calculate healing and therapeutic progress.  But not impossible, and it should be done.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »
Some kids cannot seem to heal their relationships with their families, and still experience pretty severe loneliness. We hear a lot of stories about other kids through the kids who do stay in contact.

I am really sorry to hear this.  I know that we really worked hard as a family, when my daughter was there and we all moved forward quite a bit , and still she was so far ahead of us and the other kids when it came to communication and maturity when she got home.  I know she was frustrated with the old dynamics with her friends and some still at home.  She demanded so much openness from everyone so quickly that she felt alone and disappointed when we finished our discussions.  I use to be totally drained, but she was use to it.  Like a rubber band she had to go out and experience everything she missed in one night practically.  But after a short time we balanced out as a family.  I think the biggest gift she walked away with from ASR are the tools and depth she has to deal with very stressful situations and life changes.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
Yea, right, WHO.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »
Just because you still know how to use a proxy still doesn't mean you get to talk to yourself, Who.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 07:42:00 PM »
That seems like a story I've heard a lot.  I think the success of each student is often very much correlated to the amount of work the family does and I am so glad to hear that you worked the program.  That's why families are invited to ASR more frequently now-  to help them keep up with the work the kids do and to make sure everyone understands that this is a family issue, not just the child's issue.

Offline PFRR

• View Profile
    • http://www.pfrr.org
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2006, 08:26:00 PM »
You see if ASR was appropriatly licensed or even had a shred of knowledge reading the kids mail from the parents, allowing phone calls to and from parents only 1x a week if even (I have heard otherwise) is a violation of their civil rights.  Yes they can open the envelope to see if their is contraband or such, due to health, welfare, and safety, but reading it.  Hmmm sounds like the Protection and Advocacy Agency needs to get a call from me about this.  And as far as them being able to walk out anytime and go to the Police Station hmm I wonder how often the PD is called there, sounds like a call to the Chief may be in order...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »
On 2006-06-22 17:26:00, PFRR wrote:

"You see if ASR was appropriatly licensed or even had a shred of knowledge reading the kids mail from the parents, allowing phone calls to and from parents only 1x a week if even (I have heard otherwise) is a violation of their civil rights.  Yes they can open the envelope to see if their is contraband or such, due to health, welfare, and safety, but reading it.  Hmmm sounds like the Protection and Advocacy Agency needs to get a call from me about this.  And as far as them being able to walk out anytime and go to the Police Station hmm I wonder how often the PD is called there, sounds like a call to the Chief may be in order..."

:nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy:  :nworthy: