Author Topic: St Pete 1981-1983 Anyone?  (Read 7317 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
St Pete 1981-1983 Anyone?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »

On 2006-06-16 20:08:00, Pegasus wrote:

"Just wondering who... if anyone is here from St Pete 1981-1983 ?"

Not me. Anyone else?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline whiterabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
Hi Pegasus

I went in late 1980 & not free & clear until Oct 1983. I'm Marsha G. I was and am still, short blonde & loathe Miller Newton. Those years were totally out of control. I still can't believe they got away with it all.

I don't remember you but then I don't remember a lot of things until somone or something jogs my memory.

Welcome.

Since you [US "drug tsar" McCaffrey] control a federal budget that has just been increased from $17.8 billion last year to $19.2 billion this year, is asking people like you if we should continue with our nation's current drug policy like a person asking a barber if one needs a haircut? --
                                                              Orange Country, California
                                                                  Los Angeles Times
                                                                    29 March 2000
--Judge James P. Gray

traight Incorporated is a disease

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »
I was in St. Pete in '82. Do you remember Fred Collins and his brother? What phase were you on in the summer of '82?

Offline Pegasus

• View Profile
    • http://members.cox.net/readingsbypegasus/
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »
>>I was in St. Pete in '82. Do you remember Fred Collins and his brother? What phase were you on in the summer of '82?<<

Sure do. If you ever run across my stories of how I finally left and stayed free, it was because of Fred. I never forgot him and always felt I owed him a debt. Thankfully, through these groups, I was able to connect with him and say thank you and let him know about what he did for us stuck in there.

Summer of 82? I couldn't tell you for sure. All I can tell you is that I never got past Third Phase at all and I spent 13 of my 18 months there on First Phase.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »
I was there with you, then. I didn't escape, but I also feel like I owe a debt to Fred Collins, like many of us. The pressure his lawsuit brought to Straight eventually resulted in a little less brutality, at least for a while.

How were you able to say thank you to him? Do you know how he is doing now?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 07:16:00 PM »
Pegasus, do you use AIM?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 07:49:00 PM »
I have blocked out so much of what happened there in that warehouse, but I remember socks being shoved down certain people's throats while they were being sat on by 5 or so other people. Their faces were ashy-blue. It was sickening and frightening. I remember Miller Newton as a sociopath.

Marsha, I must have been there with you, too, but don't remember your name. I remember Barbara, Nancy, Peggy, Elizabeth, Kathy, Virginia, Laura, Denise, Nancy, Shannon, Shaun (staff), Lisa, Leigh, Beth, and many others. Peanutbutter diets. Corned beef hash. A mound of mashed potatoes with a couple of "meatballs" and pale gravy for dinner. Pats of margarine on paper with the waxed paper covering it.

Standing heel-to-toe in line, being forced to keep eyes on the back of the head in front of me for so long that I lost track of time. Girls' raps that were so crowded that we had to sit Indian-style with my knees touched the knees of the girls next to me, and the girls in front of me and behind me touching me, too. Forced calisthenics while those who couldn't keep up the pace were kicked and sometimes dragged into intake rooms, from which they would emerge hours later looking disheveled with faces swollen and hair matted and ripped out.

It was hell. It's unbelievable that those people got away with such criminal abuse.

Offline Pegasus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 10:45:00 PM »
Below are the ways to contact me, although I don't usually run my Instant Messengers on all the time, but if you email me I will reply, or email and tell me which messenger you will use and when you are usually online and I'll open it.

E-Mail: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Pegasus_667
AOL AIM: ReadingsByPeg

Actually Fred cruises these boards and says Hi now and then, or if you make a post with his name, he might contact you especially if you are someone who was there and remembers him. He's a real nice guy.

I find it amusing, remember how they actually had rap sessions about Fred and his lawsuit and how staff and Newton trashed him and about what a druggie he was and how he was headed for this miserable terrible life and would die in the streets with a needle in his arm because he left Straight? Never mind that part of Fred's arguement was that he never was a druggie in the first place, he had been in college, doing well and had plans etc.

Well... Fred went back to college after Straight and continued his plans, earned his degrees, became a doctor and is doing... well quite well for himself. He has a lovely wife and an absolutely adorable, darling little 2 year old boy. He sent me a picture of his son last week and he is just a little angel.

Oh well... so much for Newtons assurances of how Fred's life was going to turn out huh? LMAO

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 10:46:00 PM »
On 2006-06-24 16:49:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have blocked out so much of what happened there in that warehouse, but I remember socks being shoved down certain people's throats while they were being sat on by 5 or so other people. Their faces were ashy-blue. It was sickening and frightening. I remember Miller Newton as a sociopath.

I could have written that myself.

Marsha, I must have been there with you, too, but don't remember your name. I remember Barbara, Nancy, Peggy, Elizabeth, Kathy, Virginia, Laura, Denise, Nancy, Shannon, Shaun (staff), Lisa, Leigh, Beth, and many others.

Barbara and Nancy - sisters? Annunzi***?

Elizabeth, staff?  brother, both blach hair?

Shannon?  Grey hair?

Shauna, short?

Beth, short, dark hair, sister Carolyn, Bart**?

Peanutbutter diets. Corned beef hash. A mound of mashed potatoes with a couple of "meatballs" and pale gravy for dinner. Pats of margarine on paper with the waxed paper covering it.

Soggy bologna and cheese sandwiches, cottage cheese maybe with a slice of almost spoiled fruit.

Standing heel-to-toe in line, being forced to keep eyes on the back of the head in front of me for so long that I lost track of time.

and so close that my nose was very often in the back of someone's head and I was inhaling their hair.

Girls' raps that were so crowded that we had to sit Indian-style with my knees touched the knees of the girls next to me, and the girls in front of me and behind me touching me, too.

Musta been before both Cincy and VA broke off

Forced calisthenics while those who couldn't keep up the pace were kicked and sometimes dragged into intake rooms, from which they would emerge hours later looking disheveled with faces swollen and hair matted and ripped out.

omg, poor Sara.

It was hell. It's unbelievable that those people got away with such criminal abuse."

Amen! :nworthy:

Offline Pegasus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »
>>Barbara and Nancy - sisters? Annunzi***?<<

I was thinking of another Nancy but darned if I can recall her last name.

>>Elizabeth, staff? brother, both blach hair? <<

Elizabeth Manning?

>Shannon? Grey hair?<

I keep thinking of Shannon who had a twin (or lookalike) brother in with her, both had genetic premature grey hair... want to say Heath... Heathly... something like that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006, 11:04:00 PM »
On 2006-06-24 19:59:00, Pegasus wrote:

I keep thinking of Shannon who had a twin (or lookalike) brother in with her, both had genetic premature grey hair... want to say Heath... Heathly... something like that. "

Keathley, her brother was Joe and yes they looked like twins but they weren't.  Joe's married with a couple of kids.  Very odd guy, very odd.  Shannon and Mike Roberts got pregnant, briefly married, divorced and Mike died a couple years back.  Rumor was drug OD but never confirmed, knowing Mike as I did after I don't doubt it.  Their son just started college.  Shannon's been married a few times but is doing OK I guess.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »
I want to know what happened to Scott Yancey.  That kid epitomized how Straight could just literally drive a kid nuts.

Offline Pegasus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »
No offense but Yancy.... hell if you are from my time, were you there when Mike Daniels came in?
Now there was a guy who was in the WAY wrong place. Even a screwed up druggie teenager could tell that boy needed major psychiatric help to start with.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »
Yeah, I do.  It was awful, as was how Scott was treated and Debbie Furlong and Kim Wassmer and Lori McMaster and Ruth and Ray Johnson and Sara Toth.  It was hell for everyone.

Offline Pegasus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »
>Keathley<

Darm.. Heathley... Keathley.. I had it close. LMAO

>brother was Joe and yes they looked like twins but they weren't.<

I couldn't remember if they were, or just lookalikes and a year apart or something... sure could have passed for twins. LOL

>Joe's married with a couple of kids. Very odd guy, very odd.<

LOL Needless to say, I never knew Joe really.

>Shannon and Mike Roberts got pregnant, briefly married, divorced and Mike died a couple years back<

I recall the name Mike Roberts but can't place it for nothing... coming up blank for a face to go with it.

>Shannon's been married a few times but is doing OK I guess.<

Don't suppose you know how to contact her? She and I weren't *close* but we lived together a few times and always got along... hope she is doing okay. That sucks about Mike. :sad: