Author Topic: Even in England Boys and Girls  (Read 10053 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Even in England Boys and Girls
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »
On 2006-04-17 06:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

So... how'd WWII work out for you guys?"

Oh please!  Come on, you can do better than that!  :lol:  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 10:22:00 AM »

Lemme think, we held our own for three years while the Unitd States sat on it's arse.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 10:26:00 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:12:14 PM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »
On 2006-04-17 07:26:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"I'll tell you guys what. You stop bashing England. I'll stop bashing America and we can all go back to playing happy families because the last time I checked we were allies."

There's only one guy bashing England and no one pays attention to him anyway.  Don't sweat it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »
On 2006-04-17 06:49:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-04-17 06:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

Oh please!  Come on, you can do better than that!  :lol:  :lol: "

English accents sound very feminine and dainty.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:13:16 PM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
I might secretly like British Accents....   :lol:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »
On 2006-04-17 07:39:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"I love American accents, especially Portland and California Valley Girls.

They make me laugh.

Pittsburgh is a very macho.

I think Avery Brooks and James Earl Jones have the coolest voices ever."

I love cajun accents... they are so hard to figure out wtf they are saying. I love it!  :lol:

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »
Woot!!! Trip to Enland!!! Blackpool here I come!!!! Nice!!! haha

hmm I grew up with a cajin accient, very painful thing to listen to on a regular basis, because half of it is french anyway.[ This Message was edited by: OverLordd on 2006-04-17 12:00 ]
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »
On 2006-04-17 11:59:00, OverLordd wrote:

"Woot!!! Trip to Enland!!! Blackpool here I come!!!! Nice!!! haha

hmm I grew up with a cajin accient, very painful thing to listen to on a regular basis, because half of it is french anyway.[ This Message was edited by: OverLordd on 2006-04-17 12:00 ]"

:rofl:  :grin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
On 2006-04-17 07:39:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"I love American accents, especially Portland and California Valley Girls.

They make me laugh.

Pittsburgh is a very macho.

I think Avery Brooks and James Earl Jones have the coolest voices ever."

Also, Wisconsin.
I don't know why it's just cute.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »
On 2006-04-17 05:13:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"And while I'm at it, here's a list of other cool things about England...

The minimum wage is set at £5.25/hour that's roughly $9 per hour. This guarantees a fair living wage to everyone.

I pay 15% tax on my £21000 job, meaning I pay less tax than an American and I get fully comprehensive medical care thrown in on the NHS.

I can tell the difference between my political parties.

My country does not have a 50% obesity rate.

My country does not have 21000  gun deaths every year.

My country does not incarcerate minors on no charge in facilities where they will be abused

My country does not impose illegal and unconstitutional curfews on minors 8 hours out of the day.

My country does not discriminate against homosexual couples who want to celebrate their union with marriage.

My local pub is older than the United States of America (opened in 1189)and I can buy a pint of Leffe there for £2.05 (around $3.50)

"

Are you quite certain about the incarceration thing?

Child 'jail' restraint criticised
An unacceptable level of pain is being used to restrain children in secure custody, a report says.
The independent investigation into the treatment of children in prison, led by Lord Carlile, found pain was used to enforce compliance.
That was "unacceptable" and may be illegal, the report said.
The investigation was set up following the death of a 15-year-old boy in a privately-run secure unit while he was being restrained by three adult staff.
The inquiry, commissioned by the Howard League for Penal Reform, looked into the use of restraint techniques and strip searching.
Varying figures
It found that physical force was used against youngsters 15,512 times during a 21-month period in England and Wales, with injuries to both staff and children not uncommon.
Liberal Democrat Lord Carlile said his team of advisors "shared my shock at some of the practices we witnessed".
"We found that some of the treatment children in custody experience would in another setting be considered abusive and could trigger a child protection investigation."
   Staff have permission to deliberately hurt children Carolyne Willow Children's Rights Alliance for England
Figures varied between institutions - in which there are in total 2,800 children and young people held in England and Wales, including 200 girls.
At one secure training centre, Medway in Kent, 1,818 injuries to children as a result of restraint from January 2004 to June 2005 were reported.
At Rainsbrook near Rugby there were 118, Hassockfield in County Durham reported 177 and Oakhill in Milton Keynes listed 48 from its opening in September 2004 to August 2005.
A sample of five out of 24 local authority secure children's homes in England and Wales revealed 73 injuries to children from January 2004 to August 2005.
Young offenders institutions did not keep central records of how many children had been injured in restraint incidents.
The inquiry found some evidence that staff would "bait" children into situations that would lead to them being restrained for the adult's "own gratification".
The report accepts that many of the 10 to 17-year-olds held in young offender institutions, secure training centres and local authority secure children's homes have had chaotic and abusive childhoods and lack clear boundaries to their behaviour.
But it said that unnecessarily painful restraint techniques were used to deal with dissent in some institutions.
Handcuffs were used in the four privately-run secure training centres, something the inquiry says should stop.
And the need for a strip search should be based on evidence, something the report says would cut the number of strip searches by half.
The Youth Justice Board chairman Professor Rod Morgan said staff were encouraged to use non-physical methods to deal with difficult behaviour.
"We want to move to a situation where the staff have sufficient confidence and are sufficiently well-trained that they don't have to rely on physical restraint to the degree that in some instances they are currently doing," he said.
Mental health
However, he said there was an underlying problem about a lack of spaces for young offenders who had mental health problems - and should be in healthcare rather than custodial care.
   Although children have behaved badly and some of them committed terrible crimes... they're still children Prison Reform Trust
He called for a three-part inter-departmental review - to look at children dealt with in the criminal courts and end up in custody; those dealt with in the family courts and end up in care; and those dealt with under the mental health act and end up in psychiatric care.
Children's Rights Alliance for England national co-ordinator Carolyne Willow, a member of Lord Carlile's advisory panel, said: "We are not talking here about children being hurt in the rough and tumble of restraint.
"Staff have permission to deliberately hurt children."
"As a former child protection social worker, I am stunned that this is allowed to happen."
The inquiry was told that one in five restraints of children resulted in injury.
'They're still children'
Director of the Prison Reform Trust Juliette Lyon says children are being failed by the prison system and they invariably end up re-offending.
Cases where children needed to be restrained should be the "rarest of rare events", she told BBC News.
"When you look at the number of times that physical restraints were used in the course of less than a year - thousands of times, on some quite young children - you realise it's being used as a matter of course when it's a disciplinary issue.
"Although children have behaved badly and some of them committed terrible crimes, although that is a minority, they're still children," she added.
Lord Carlile's report concludes that police should be ready to prosecute in cases where children appear to have been assaulted.
The inquiry was launched after the death of Gareth Myatt, 15, from Stoke-on-Trent, in April 2004.
He died after being restrained by three members of staff four days into his sentence at privately-run Rainsbrook secure training centre, near Rugby.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/4722652.stm

Published: 2006/02/17 08:53:46 GMT

© BBC MMVI

'Child jails' put under spotlight
      By Jon Silverman Legal affairs analyst

For the second time in three months, a teenage boy has died in a secure training centre and many legitimate questions are being asked about the standard of care and discipline in what critics call "child jails".
England's three secure training centres (STCs) hold 188 children, some as young as 12.
They are there because their behaviour is so wayward and challenging.
They are also there because they are highly vulnerable and the chief issue is whether staff are being adequately trained to deal with such vulnerability.
Fifteen-year-old Gareth Myatt, who died at Rainsbrook in Northamptonshire in April, was being physically restrained when he lost consciousness and the ongoing inquiry is focusing on the manner of that restraint.
Deborah Coles of the pressure group Inquest said there was evidence that restraint had also played a role in the death of 14-year-old Adam Rickwood, at Hassockfield in County Durham.
"We are very concerned about the over-use of restraint in the STCs," she added.
"And we need to know how much priority in staff training is given to suicide prevention and how much to working with such vulnerable children."
Despite the plethora of inquiries into this latest death - the Youth Justice Board, Premier Prisons, which runs Hassockfield, the Commission for Social Care Inspection and the Prisons Ombudsman are all involved - the Home Office is now under considerable pressure to mark the gravity of the problem by setting up a public inquiry.
If Parliament was sitting, the home secretary could expect to be lobbied by MPs, 30 of whom signed a motion in July calling for an inquiry into the death of 16-year-old Joseph Scholes at a young offenders institution in 1992.
There has never been a public inquiry into the death of a juvenile in custody and there are no signs that David Blunkett is about to announce one.
Court battle
Nor is the government impressed by criticism that the care of such vulnerable youngsters should not be in the hands of private contractors.
It is pointed out that staff-inmate ratios are relatively high and that private custody has tended to drive up standards in the public sector.
But ministers have already lost a court battle over their failure to apply the Children Act to the care of children in custody.
The lessons learned from the deaths of Adam Rickwood and Gareth Myatt may have an even more profound impact on the way these youngsters are treated.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 556922.stm

Published: 2004/08/11 19:53:16 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Remand teenager is found hanged
A 14-year-old has died after he was found hanged at a secure training centre in County Durham.
Staff at the privately-run Hassockfield Centre in Medomsley, near Consett, discovered the body of Adam Rickwood in the early hours of Monday.
Attempts were made to revive him, but he was pronounced dead in hospital.
Durham Police are not treating the death as suspicious. The teenager, from Burnley, Lancashire, was on remand facing a charge of wounding.
'Shocked and saddened'
His mother has been informed of the death and was travelling to north-east England.
The private centre is run by Premier Training Services Ltd, part of Premier Custodial Group, based in Berkshire, on behalf of the Youth Justice Board.
Premier spokesman, Dave Hill, said staff at the centre were "saddened and shocked" by the death.
He said: "We have offered our condolences to the family and believe three investigations are under way.
"We are investigating the circumstances, as are the police and Youth Justice Board.
"We are all very sad and shocked by what has happened."
'Tragic death'
The youngster was one of 43 young people, aged between 14 and 17, living at the centre on remand or carrying out community service orders.
Ellie Roy, chief executive of the Youth Justice Board, said: "Adam had been on remand in Hassockfield STC for one month.
"In accordance with our serious incidents procedure an investigation will be launched immediately by the Board in co-operation with the Prison and Probation Ombudsman and the Commission for Social Care Inspection."
Mr Roy added: "I would like to offer my sincere sympathy to Adam's family. We will do everything we can to help ensure that the circumstances of his tragic death are made known and that any lessons that need to be learnt will be."
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 549094.stm

Published: 2004/08/09 16:01:20 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 11:48:46 AM by Guest »

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »
On 2006-04-17 16:55:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"And the people responsible are now facing charges. "

Do you like America? If you don't why are you trying to become an advocate for teenagers who live here? Because when you listed 'cool things about England' it seems like what you were really doing was listing what you dislike about America. The first two are reasonable, higher minimum wage, and lower taxes... sounds good to me. But the other seven things listed are all the things you consider bad about the US. I am kind of curious as to your motivation behind taking on these programs as a cause. I am not bashing you I am just curious.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 11:56:06 AM by Guest »

Billy Joel.