Author Topic: anonymity on this board  (Read 19666 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« on: April 06, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »
I haven't posted here in a while, but I thought I'd point something out to the Hyde folks who keep telling people to disclose their real names.

In this day and age, prospective employers often google potential employees to see if they've been posting on the internet in blogs or discussion boards.  Guess what?  Even successful graduates of Hyde may not want to associate ourselves with the place.  I'm a successful graduate, but I've achieved success in spite of Hyde, not because of it.  The place is an embarrassment to me.  Also, when the school figured out who I was, they actually contacted me and later mentioned it to my parents in a fundraising appeal.  Hyde does not respect anyone's privacy and I don't want anything to do with the place.  Forunately, in my profession (law) and most others, nobody cares what you did in high school.  Still, I'd rather not have my name associated with the place.  So to all the jerks trying to get people to out themselves, get a clue.  Life is not a Hyde seminar.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
On 2006-04-06 06:36:00, Lars wrote:

"I haven't posted here in a while, but I thought I'd point something out to the Hyde folks who keep telling people to disclose their real names.

In this day and age, prospective employers often google potential employees to see if they've been posting on the internet in blogs or discussion boards.  Guess what?  Even successful graduates of Hyde may not want to associate ourselves with the place.  I'm a successful graduate, but I've achieved success in spite of Hyde, not because of it.  The place is an embarrassment to me.  Also, when the school figured out who I was, they actually contacted me and later mentioned it to my parents in a fundraising appeal.  Hyde does not respect anyone's privacy and I don't want anything to do with the place.  Forunately, in my profession (law) and most others, nobody cares what you did in high school.  Still, I'd rather not have my name associated with the place.  So to all the jerks trying to get people to out themselves, get a clue.  Life is not a Hyde seminar."

I agree with you Lars.  Although I respect those who wish to disclose their identities here, I also fully understand that some people have been burned by Hyde so badly that they're not willing to disclose their names.  You've also pointed out other reasons why someone might not want to take the risk.  Some of us are still affiliated with Hyde and don't want to risk repercussions while we still have the connection.  At the same time we are determined to let parents who are considering Hyde know about our negative experience.  Of course, those who have had good experiences should feel free to post too.

Lars, are you saying Hyde contacted you after you started posting on this website?  Are you saying Hyde is monitoring this website?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
Thanks, Lars. I appreciate your comments. I had been concerned that if I revealed too much about my identity there would be repercussions, and you confirmed that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »
On 2006-04-06 07:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Thanks, Lars. I appreciate your comments. I had been concerned that if I revealed too much about my identity there would be repercussions, and you confirmed that."

http://www.aa-intergroup.org/html/anonymity.html

Having your anonymity busted sucks.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »
On 2006-04-06 07:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"Thanks, Lars. I appreciate your comments. I had been concerned that if I revealed too much about my identity there would be repercussions, and you confirmed that."

Having your anonymity busted sucks."

This is just another hypocrisy with the Hyde School.  They believe we should post our names on a public board, yet they preach about privacy.  It is all about what is best for the Hyde School, not the true principles that Hyde is supposed to stand for.  Like others have said, the principles only apply to those outside of the staff and administration!  Good riddens Hyde!!

Offline Lars

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 10:45:00 PM »
On 2006-04-06 07:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

Lars, are you saying Hyde contacted you after you started posting on this website?  Are you saying Hyde is monitoring this website?"

They sure are.  Why wouldn't they?  They're not used to dealing with situations they can't control and this site is bad PR for them.  Nosy bastards called me, then mentioned it in a fundraising letter to my folks.  

{edited for formatting}[ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-04-12 17:25 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 05:28:00 AM »
Lars,

I hope they sent a check! :eek:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »

"I haven't posted here in a while, but I thought I'd point something out to the Hyde folks who keep telling people to disclose their real names.

In this day and age, prospective employers often google potential employees to see if they've been posting on the internet in blogs or discussion boards.  Guess what?  Even successful graduates of Hyde may not want to associate ourselves with the place.  I'm a successful graduate, but I've achieved success in spite of Hyde, not because of it.  The place is an embarrassment to me.  Also, when the school figured out who I was, they actually contacted me and later mentioned it to my parents in a fundraising appeal.  Hyde does not respect anyone's privacy and I don't want anything to do with the place.  Forunately, in my profession (law) and most others, nobody cares what you did in high school.  Still, I'd rather not have my name associated with the place.  So to all the jerks trying to get people to out themselves, get a clue.  Life is not a Hyde seminar."

Lars:  Who called you from Hyde?  And what did they say to you?

Offline StephenLong

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
I am not associated with Hyde, other than having been a student there. The only reason I found this website is because a friend who knows I went to Hyde sent me a link.

Opinions about what Hyde was or is like are fine. My biggest problem with the Anonymous posters are the ones who make accusations of criminal acts, but won't state their names.

If are not willing to sign your name to such an accusation, you shouldn't make it. I believe many of the posters who make such statements are just being slanderous and I want to make sure that everyone who reads the posts realize that.

Stephen Long
Hyde '81
uckPondDiver

Offline StephenLong

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »
On 2006-04-06 07:59:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Having your anonymity busted sucks."

This isn't AA! It is a discussion board about a school, not a therapy session.

And I am not talking about "busting" anyone's anonymity. I am talking about being an adult and letting people know that you are willing to stand up for what you have to say.

Stephen Long[ This Message was edited by: StephenLong on 2006-04-10 08:16 ]
uckPondDiver

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
Stephen,
 People are accepting you with your wish to disclose your identity, but you are not accepting them in their wish to remain anonymous. Your continuing need to confront people on this site takes me back to exactly what was so distasteful about Hyde.

I wish you well in your life of continuing revelation.

Offline StephenLong

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:30:00 PM »
One day an Irishman who had been stranded on a deserted island for over 10 years, saw a speck on the horizon. He thought to himself, "It's certainly not a ship." And, as the speck got closer and closer, he began to rule out the possibilities of a small boat and even a raft.

Suddenly there emerged from the surf a wet-suited black clad figure. Putting aside the scuba gear and the top of the wet suit, there stood a drop-dead gorgeous blonde!

The glamorous blonde strode up to the stunned Irishman and said to him, "Tell me, how long has it been since you've had a cigarette?"

"Ten years," replied the amazed Irishman.

With that, she reached over and unzipped a waterproofed pocket on the left sleeve or her wetsuit, and pulled out a fresh pack of cigarettes.

He takes one, lights it, and takes a long drag. "Faith and begorrah," said the lonely Irishman, "that is so good I'd almost forgotten how great a smoke can be!"

"And how long has it been since you've had a drop of good Irish whiskey?" asked the blonde.

Trembling, the irish castaway replied, "Ten years."

Hearing that, the blonde reaches over to her right sleeve unzips a pocket there and removes a flask and hands it to him.

He opened the flask and took a long drink. "'Tis nectar of the gods!" stated the Irishman. "'Tis truly fantastic!!!"

At this point the gorgeous blonde started to slowly unzip the long front of her wet suit, right down the middle. She looked at the trembling man and asked,

"And how long has it been since you played a round?"

With tears in his eyes, the Irishman fell to his knees and sobbed, "Sweet Jesus! Don't tell me that you've got golf clubs in there too!"

Stephen Long
uckPondDiver

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »

"Hyde does not respect anyone's privacy and I don't want anything to do with the place."

Hmmmm.  Let's see.  

1. You effectively outed youself by providing tons of details about your life that made it obvious who you were.  (Didn't you even provide your own name on here at one point?  I haven't looked back to check.)

2.  It's my understanding that Hyde contacted you as a way to reach out to you and see if you were open to a dialogue.

3.  Hyde contacted your parents for fundraising, and in the course of the conversation, mentioned they had spoken with you.

So where is the lack of respect for privacy?  You outed yourself.  They called you to talk about it.  They called your parents in the ordinary course (fundraising, where you would be natural subject of the call, just like any fundraising of this sort).

Anyway, I'll bet it would rock your world to learn that Hyde contacting you was based on compassion and concern for you.  

Point is, for some it may be helpful to out themselves.  For others, not so much.  Its a personal decision.  But make no mistake, this is a public forum, and not a private AA meeting, as someone else suggested.

Hyde's actions could be consistent with either (a) a school so terrified by this board that they will stop at no lengths to put an end to it, or (b) an institution that cares about its alum, no matter how disgruntled.  

You seem to have chosen (a), but provide no backup for that.  

On good information, I happen to believe it was (b).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »
On 2006-04-11 10:50:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"Hyde does not respect anyone's privacy and I don't want anything to do with the place."

Hmmmm.  Let's see.  

1. You effectively outed youself by providing tons of details about your life that made it obvious who you were.  (Didn't you even provide your own name on here at one point?  I haven't looked back to check.)

2.  It's my understanding that Hyde contacted you as a way to reach out to you and see if you were open to a dialogue.

3.  Hyde contacted your parents for fundraising, and in the course of the conversation, mentioned they had spoken with you.

So where is the lack of respect for privacy?  You outed yourself.  They called you to talk about it.  They called your parents in the ordinary course (fundraising, where you would be natural subject of the call, just like any fundraising of this sort).

Anyway, I'll bet it would rock your world to learn that Hyde contacting you was based on compassion and concern for you.  

Point is, for some it may be helpful to out themselves.  For others, not so much.  Its a personal decision.  But make no mistake, this is a public forum, and not a private AA meeting, as someone else suggested.

Hyde's actions could be consistent with either (a) a school so terrified by this board that they will stop at no lengths to put an end to it, or (b) an institution that cares about its alum, no matter how disgruntled.  

You seem to have chosen (a), but provide no backup for that.  

On good information, I happen to believe it was (b).

"

What is the source of your "good information"?  How would you happen to know enough to say that, to use your words, "It's my understanding that Hyde contacted you as a way to reach out to you and see if you were open to a dialogue."  Are you on the Hyde staff or part of the Hyde "team"?

What you say about Hyde's reasons for reaching out may be true; I have no way of knowing.  My guess is that some Hyde staff are concerned and want to have the kind of dialogue you suggest for honorable reasons.  In addition, my guess is that some Hyde staff are also deeply concerned and troubled by this website and are doing what they can to stop the awful PR bleeding.  That's merely a hunch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anonymity on this board
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
Awful PR bleeding?  With topics like "hyde is great"