Author Topic: Second Nature Wilderness Program  (Read 61350 times)

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
Second Nature Wilderness Program
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2007, 10:09:57 PM »
Quote from: ""Nihilanthic""
Quote from: ""Guest""
The hundreds of Second Nature families who are pleased with the program are not represented on this forum.  That says something....

They're free to speak here.

The thing is, kids in programs are not free to speak at all, and are coerced while in them and threatened with among other things various punishments and actually getting out to 'work the program'.

Which is not therapy, but rather coercive behavior modification.

Ho hum?

Very strange response Niles, which program are you talking about?  All kids can speak freely, that is the only way the kids can grow.  I think most people are aware the kids are attending the programs because of behavior problems, thereby the reason for receiving behavior modification.  Not all the kids require a therapist or need meds.

You should really try to visit one of these places before spouting off.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »
Very strange response Niles, which program are you talking about? All kids can speak freely, that is the only way the kids can grow. I think most people are aware the kids are attending the programs because of behavior problems, thereby the reason for receiving behavior modification. Not all the kids require a therapist or need meds.

You should really try to visit one of these places before spouting off.

I really think we need a sticky, locked thread just for these turds of wizdumb you occasionally spout off.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  oh my fucking god lol
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2007, 10:21:03 PM »
You should also know that it is possible to get credits whether or not you've actually had any schooling. I went to a therapeutic boarding "school". I went to class, perhaps, 3 weeks of my entire 7 month stay. When in class it was impossible to learn anything because of the level of abuse dealt with, and because we attended classes that had been in progression since the beginning of the year, without us. Kids attend school for one third of the time (at best) that the school runs. School is a "privilege", and if your participation depended on where you were in the program, whether you were doing some "work assignment" (kids handled all maintenance duties at school) or some other sundry slave or recruitment service. Suffice to say, there was NO actual education, however this "school" issued diplomas. So, you can get some kind of "credit" or "education", but it will only exist on paper.

Of course the idea that education is possible in a situation where you have been abducted and imprisoned without any form of due process, in an act of extraordinary rendition, is absurd.

I’m sorry, if parents have any level of competency they would know better than to expect education in such a circumstance.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2007, 10:31:11 PM »
Second Nature's accreditation is piggybacked off a shitpit called the "Willow Creek School", which in turn is accredited by the "Northwest Association of Accredited Schools", whose requirements are pretty much nonexistent and whose guiding principle is apparently 'stay out of controversy' (they used to accredit Ivy Ridge until the heat came down).

Bottom line, it's not real academics.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2007, 10:33:13 PM »
Kids who are sent to a wilderness program have pretty much abandoned the educational opportunities they had at home.  8 weeks or so without schooling is not the end of the world.

The kids can write freely and express their opinions.  They get in excellent physical condition and have a lot of pride in what they accomplish.  Those with serious addiction issues usually are not able to maintain sobriety after leaving the program if they go right home.  

The bunch of Mormons that run Second Nature are skilled, intelligent and caring.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2007, 10:33:35 PM »
Kids who are sent to a wilderness program have pretty much abandoned the educational opportunities they had at home.  8 weeks or so without schooling is not the end of the world.

The kids can write freely and express their opinions.  They get in excellent physical condition and have a lot of pride in what they accomplish.  Those with serious addiction issues usually are not able to maintain sobriety after leaving the program if they go right home.  

The bunch of Mormons that run Second Nature are skilled, intelligent and caring.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2007, 10:36:26 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2007, 10:37:42 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2007, 10:41:10 PM »
I don't get it. How do they get parents to enroll their child in a program that will automatically cause an already struggling student to fall even further behind in school? Unless the child is registered with the school district as a homeschooler, how can this even be legal?

Now I'm curious: Why do you ask?

Several aquaintances have sent their children to Second Nature or Katherine Free. It sounded weird to me but I just assumed I didn't understand it. I thought maybe these courses were more like sleep-away camps but where there's a little school-house out in the woods where they do lessons during the day or something.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2007, 10:47:43 PM »
8 weeks or so without schooling is not the end of the world.

You'll fail the entire semester if you miss 8 weeks.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2007, 11:27:15 PM »
I don't get it. How do they get parents to enroll their child in a program that will automatically cause an already struggling student to fall even further behind in school? Unless the child is registered with the school district as a homeschooler, how can this even be legal?

Now I'm curious: Why do you ask?
Several aquaintances have sent their children to Second Nature or Katherine Free. It sounded weird to me but I just assumed I didn't understand it. I thought maybe these courses were more like sleep-away camps but where there's a little school-house out in the woods where they do lessons during the day or something.

Each case is different.  In many cases the child isnt going to school or is heading down a path where he/she wont graduate anyway, so missing out on schooling is secondary to getting the child back on track.  The schooling can be made up later... the school districts have much latitude in this area as long as there is a plan to have the child placed back on a path to receive an education at some point.

Offline Lain the Odd

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2007, 11:42:21 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_act
Very soon now the drug will cause the subject to experience a deathlike paralysis together with deep feelings of terror and helplessness. One of our earlier test subjects described it as being like death. A sense of stifling and drowning.
And it is during this period that we have found the subject will make his most rewarding associations between his catastrophic experience and involvement with the violence he sees.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2007, 11:53:33 PM »
Unless the child is registered with the school district as a homeschooler, how can this even be legal?

Although mounting an attack based on the education- or lack thereof- angle may prove useful, I would like to call attention to your serious fucking problem with priorities.

Let me go ahead and QFT this whole fucking thing here and maybe you'll actually read it this time around:

Quote from: "Lain the Odd"
“GROUP FOUR!â€

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2007, 05:45:37 AM »
Although mounting an attack based on the education- or lack thereof- angle may prove useful, I would like to call attention to your serious fucking problem with priorities.

I know. I was trying to figure it out from the parents' perspective. The parents don't know about most of the other stuff that goes on but they know for a fact that the child isn't going to be receiving an education. Unless it's summer vacation, I was just sort of baffled as to how that gets rationalized.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 31, 2007, 05:49:31 PM »
Don't you think the parents have done every possible thing to try to help the kid before resorting to wilderness?  Don't you think the parents tried to keep the kid in school and salvage the education?
What part of THE KID WAS BLOWING SCHOOL are you not understanding? The ONLY hope at this point is the wilderness program which will get the kid back on track.  Taking incompletes or repeating a semester is a pretty minor hurdle compared to jail, death from overdose, being killed in a car wreck or some other similar fate.  Also, in many cases it IS a summer choice.
You guys are really grasping this time.