Author Topic: New "School" Construction by HLA Owner Killed by County?  (Read 15557 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
New "School" Construction by HLA Owner Killed by County?
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »
http://www.thedahloneganugget.com/artic ... 1wozny.txt

Commissioners hindering betterment of county

To the editor:

Dismay ... shock ... outrage. These are but a few words to describe my reaction to the news that the county commissioners have thrown up yet another roadblock to the proposal by Hidden Lake Academy to build a new facility, Mountain Brook Academy.

I am a relatively new resident of Lumpkin County, but I have followed this situation since it was first proposed. In addition, I have toured Hidden Lake and have seen first-hand what a great contribution it makes to the community and the benefits derived by its students.

It should be noted that my first visit to Hidden Lake occurred in late 2004 when the Dahlonega Woman's Club presented a candidate forum, generously hosted by Hidden Lake Academy.

Every person presently on the commission attended that forum and I heard each get up and promise that he/she would always act in the best interest of the county and its citizens.

I question how the recent actions of the commissioners in continuing to block HLA/MBA can be considered in the "best interest" of Lumpkin County.  

At the commissioners meeting Nov. 17, Clarence Stowers presented an additional list of various items that he proposed be renegotiated before giving the go-ahead to the plan presented.

The development authority had already recommended acceptance of the original proposal, but NO, that wasn't good enough for the commissioners.

They asked the authority to go back and meet again to look into the new items being presented for consideration. It appears that MBA agreed to those stipulations, but, no, even that wasn't enough.

The commissioners are now asking for even more concessions from HLA/MBA.

Hidden Lake has been an asset to Lumpkin for the years it has been here. What plans do the commissioners have to make up the funds that would be generated by the new school should Dr. Buccellato decide not to proceed with Mountain Brook Academy? I listened to all five of you in Oct. 2004 and believed you would act in our best interest.

This commission is a "first" for Lumpkin County, going from a single commissioner to a commission of five persons. What a shame that you are prohibiting a good project from contributing to the betterment of Lumpkin County. I'm ashamed of all of you.

Sincerely,

Pat Wozny

Dahlonega
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
http://www.thedahloneganugget.com/artic ... lloway.txt

Faith in system shaken in 2005

More Letters
Faith in system shaken in 2005

To the editor:

Just when I thought the waters had calmed down, I returned from spending the holidays with family to find the waters again swirling. I hope that I can update what has taken place so far and where things now stand.

Contrary to some comments, tax incentives to bring in new businesses is not new to Lumpkin County, with two other companies having arranged similar agreements with the county when it had foresight to help our economy grow.

Mountain Brook was not reinventing policy, but utilizing a tool the county had previously developed to bring in businesses in hopes to lessen the property tax burden on our homeowners.

I was interested in the stance that The Home Depot was brought in with no assistance from the county. I believe Mr. Abraham with the development authority may have conflicting information on the amount of money spent on paving, water lines, and sewage; the last number I heard at a public meeting was around $1 million.

The following timeline best represents our last interactions with the county:  

On Nov. 17, the Lumpkin County Board of Commissioners passed a motion that outlined its recommendations for a tax abatement between the county and Mountain Brook Academy. The board requested that Mountain Brook meet with the Lumpkin County Development Authority, and through negotiation finalize a plan covering each of the items in the motion.

On Nov. 18, representatives from Mountain Brook met with Bruce Abraham and Mike Cottrell from the Lumpkin County Development Authority and reviewed each of the items listed on the Nov. 17 motion. At the end of that meeting the two parties had created a plan that would meet the needs of Mountain Brook and Lumpkin County. This plan was submitted to the board of commissioners as directed in the motion so it could be reviewed at the Dec. 1 monthly work session.

On Nov. 29, Mountain Brook received an e-mail from Bruce Abraham informing us that contrary to the motion passed at the Nov. 17 meeting, a special meeting was held by the commissioners who then altered the plan to include items not passed in the official motion. Mountain Brook in good faith completed all requirements of the Nov. 17 motion, yet in the end the commissioners altered their own recommendations and submitted a plan that had not been approved. Based on what was listed as "final position" from the commissioners by Mr. Abraham, Mountain Brook is saddened that a final agreement could not be made.

It is clear that the commissioners are not desirous of having Mountain Brook Academy, its jobs, the tax revenue and added revenue to the local merchants as part of Lumpkin County. As the commissioners were elected to represent the people of Lumpkin County, we will respect their wishes and have begun pursuing other options for making Mountain Brook a viable possibility and continuing our mission of helping children receive a good education.

I have spent the last 20 years working with children and understand adversity, but I have to admit my faith in the system has been shaken in 2005. My elected officials went against their own public motions and in a secret meeting altered what had been placed as an official motion and presented to their constituents. My past brother Rotarian Billy Wells, an official at NGCSU, wrote inaccurate and inflammatory articles about our school, our staff and our morals. Rev. Jeff Ross compared supporting a new school that works with children to be no different that supporting the new Chick-fil-A.

Nevertheless, we will continue to find way to improve the life of the children entrusted to us. Our current options are to move to another county or become a non-profit school like North Georgia and Lumpkin County public schools. As we have tried to point out to our elected officials, neither option is good for the county.

If we move to another county, Lumpkin will be out jobs, tax revenue and tourism from our parents. If we go non-profit, the county is out $71,000 per year plus the loss of all county sales tax from our purchases. Only by going non-profit can we afford to build the new facility due to the lack of water, sewer, and access to emergency services, three expensive items that also affect the outrageous insurance rates associated with this type of facility.

While neither option is desired, we will go whichever direction pushed by the commissioners.

So, to answer Mr. Kanel, we're not asking to receive more than anyone else in the county is due, at this time we would be happy if we were treated like any new business trying to come into the county - fairly.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey S. Holloway, MSW

Executive Director

Mountain Brook Academy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ol' Jeffrey sounds like a little crybaby.   ::mecry::
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Be sure to call Mr. Abraham to voice your concerns over the new so-called "school" proposed to be built in Dahlonega, GA by the owner of Hidden Lake Academy.

Do your part to bring to light pertinent facts about the way this company does business.

CONTACT INFO:

Bruce Abraham,Development Authority executive director, at (706)864-0423.

Apparently there have been many concerns raised by local citizens about the care and treatment of children at the existing facility which led to suspension of negotiations for a new facility.  The possibility exists to kill the project altogether if everyone does their part.

Good luck!
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »
Hmm, could it be that the good ppl of Dahlonega are starting to smarten up?

There is not a "fragment" in all nature, for every relative fragment of one thing is a full harmonious unit in itself.
-- John Muir

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »
Apparently, some.

?In addition, I have toured Hidden Lake and have seen first-hand what a great contribution it makes to the community and the benefits derived by its students.?

Saw the ?benefits derived by its students?, in a ?tour?? Puleeeez.

?I question how the recent actions of the commissioners in continuing to block HLA/MBA can be considered in the "best interest" of Lumpkin County.?

Perhaps it is in the best interest of the kids, which should take precedent over the best interests of the county. Commissioners in my county were set to approve a medical waste incinerator; they typically aren?t picky when it comes to revenue. Which makes this even more curious.

?What plans do the commissioners have to make up the funds that would be generated by the new school should Dr. Buccellato decide not to proceed with Mountain Brook Academy??

I would guess that their primary concern is that Home Depot and Chick-fil-A will not tarnish the county?s reputation?. HLA/MBA, questionable? What other concerns might they have? Adjudicated youth being housed from all over the country?

?Mountain Brook was not reinventing policy, but utilizing a tool the county had previously developed to bring in businesses in hopes to lessen the property tax burden on our homeowners.?

What drama. As if their $71,000 is going to lessen property tax. What?s his/her real interest in this issue?

?As the commissioners were elected to represent the people of Lumpkin County, we will respect their wishes and have begun pursuing other options for making Mountain Brook a viable possibility and continuing our mission of helping children receive a good education.?

Is it possible that they?re privy to the real nature and purpose? The ?good education? scam has apparently run its course.

?I have spent the last 20 years working with children and understand adversity, but I have to admit my faith in the system has been shaken in 2005. My elected officials went against their own public motions and in a secret meeting altered what had been placed as an official motion and presented to their constituents.?

Then you now have some idea how parents/teens feel, when they expect one thing, and another happens.

?Rev. Jeff Ross compared supporting a new school that works with children to be no different that supporting the new Chick-fil-A.?

And should they think otherwise? ?Works with? is what is in question.

?My past brother Rotarian Billy Wells, an official at NGCSU, wrote inaccurate and inflammatory articles about our school, our staff and our morals.?

Where can those articles be found? I think it speaks volumes that a military person, considered an upstanding citizen and leader, such as Wells would disapprove of their methods, techniques, morals, values. A little about Billy Wells.

BILLY WELLS
http://www.ngcsu.edu/Univ_Rel/archives/april2005.htm
After reviewing the applicants and nominees, Potter announced April 21 that he is naming Billy Wells, North Georgia?s professor of Military Science since 2002, to the new position [assistant to the president for leadership development].
?Billy already has contributed significantly to the success of our leadership program in the Corps of Cadets,? said Potter, ?and I believe that he can build on that success to help us achieve a comparable level of achievement for the other dimensions of our leadership identity.?
?Billy Wells has an excellent reputation and is engaged throughout the community,? said Andy Schaffer, who serves on the Business Administration faculty. ?He has established outstanding working relationships with both civilian and military faculty and staff across campus and is well suited for this role.?
Coincidentally, Wells, now a retired colonel in the U.S. Army with 30 years of leadership and management experience, was honored on April 18 with a reception as he retired from the Army and his military faculty position at the university.
Before coming to North Georgia, Wells was chief of staff of the First Army at Fort Gillem in 2001-2002. For three prior years he was the training support brigade commander of the 87th Division, Fort Stewart. His previous military assignments, primarily in Georgia and Kentucky, included operations officer, chief of doctrinal and future force development, and battalion commander, among numerous other positions.
Wells earned his bachelor?s degree from Mississippi State University in 1975 and a master of science in education from Louisiana State University in 1980. Additional education and training included the Army War College, the Army Command and General Staff Officer?s Course, and Emergency Preparedness with the Federal Emergency Management Agency. ***

Perhaps he has chatted with Keith Antonia.
http://www.flageorgia.org/conference/20 ... nments.htm

Antonia being the original Director at Ridge Creek, until he (and several of the other Mt Rangers) was fired for not possessing the proper credentials to hold that position.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=30#94224
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=20#95945

Wonder if he's chatted with Overlordd? Curious!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:32:04 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
On 2006-01-28 12:20:00, Deborah wrote:

***?I question how the recent actions of the commissioners in continuing to block HLA/MBA can be considered in the "best interest" of Lumpkin County.?

Perhaps it is in the best interest of the kids, which should take precedent over the best interests of the county. Commissioners in my county were set to approve a medical waste incinerator; they typically aren?t picky when it comes to revenue. Which makes this even more curious.

Well, I can make a couple of guesses. We were discussing earlier the unusually high # of HLA staffers w/ corrections training. But there's another pervasive thread there. Lots of military, especially them damned Marines. And NGCSU, right there in Dahlonega, is known as "The Military College of Georgia." So it stands to reason that the locals would give HLA good deal of chauvinistic favor by default. After all, it looks like military school, it's faculty, ownership and supporters like to compare it to the military and, as noted above, they do employ military vets who are the eyes and ears on the ground.

So it's been 10 years. How many of those real military guys have come away from it w/ less than glowing reviews? Check posts by Jarhead6's posts and ask yourself just what kind of thuggery does it take to make a damned Marine that skitterish.

I would expect it of military culture to start out circling the waggons in defence of ppl who present themselves as part of the military community as HLA does. And I'd expect them to hold to that position staunchly for a good long while, easily dismissing criticizms as just a bunch of belly-aching from long haired hippie liberals who hate all things military on general principle. But I would also expect them to come around, eventually, and cut their fuckin' nuts off when they begin to realize how they've been punked.

Incidentally, this is one of the most vital differences between the troubled parent industry and military training. Our military--source of so much modern language like SNAFU, FUBAR and Catch 22--does have an astounding propensity to occasionaly unfuck itself.

Shit, I think this whole industry might self destruct by the hand of their duped clients. I hear tell WWASPS programs have been "helping" the rebellious sons and daughters of Saudis lately, now the Rudy Bentz line may be takin' their comeuppance from the Marines.

This could be fun to watch.  :wave:  

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

`80 - `82
Why I Live at the PO[ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-01-28 12:47 ]
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »
So it's been 10 years. How many of those real military guys have come away from it w/ less than glowing reviews? Check posts by Macaroni3001. Or you can look over what's left of Jarhead6's posts and ask yourself just what kind of thuggery does it take to make a damned Marine that skitterish.

Good point.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 07:49:00 AM »
On 2006-01-28 09:10:00, Dysfunction Junction wrote:

"Be sure to call Mr. Abraham to voice your concerns over the new so-called "school" proposed to be built in Dahlonega, GA by the owner of Hidden Lake Academy.

Do your part to bring to light pertinent facts about the way this company does business.

CONTACT INFO:

Bruce Abraham,Development Authority executive director, at (706)864-0423.

Apparently there have been many concerns raised by local citizens about the care and treatment of children at the existing facility which led to suspension of negotiations for a new facility.  The possibility exists to kill the project altogether if everyone does their part.

Good luck!
"

Keep those calls coming.  Tell Mr. Abraham how you were treated there and what kind of education you got.  He seems very interesed to hear the details.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 12:17:00 PM »
Anybody call this guy today?  I'm going to in a bit.

If you've spoken to Mr. Abraham, what did he have to say?

If you haven't called yet, be sure to give this guy a ring.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »
He told me to quote "fuck yourself"

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »
On 2006-01-30 11:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"He told me to quote "fuck yourself""

Which I'm sure you dutifully carried out forthwith.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »
Anyone know the latest news about this dead or dying project?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
County to vote on tax breaks
By Sharon Hall

Lumpkin County Development Authority is calling them guidelines for an "Economic Investment Program," but what the document sets out is a way to gauge whether and what kind of tax incentives to offer new and expanding businesses in the county.

The authority presented its plan at the commissioners' work session Feb. 2. The commission is expected to vote on the proposal at its Feb. 16 board meeting.

The need for a policy governing tax incentives was brought to the fore when Hidden Lake Academy requested a 10-year tax abatement for a new school it planned, Mountain Brook Academy.

In return, the school's owner Dr. Len Buccellato promised Mountain Brook Academy would provide 80 new jobs and bring $7 million in economic impact for the county in 2007 alone.

The development authority recommended approval of the proposal to the county commission. Several meetings and negotiation sessions later no agreement could be reached and Bucellato said he would pursue other options.

Since then the authority has been approached by an unnamed manufacturer, asking for similar consideration of a tax abatement to attract a sizable number of jobs from another state to Georgia.  

"The authority realized we needed a public policy for this," said authority director Bruce Abraham. "Some communities do this without policies or guidelines, but since there was a need here, our board addressed it."

Board chair Mike Cottrell asked board member Deborah Hutcheson to form a committee to research the issue.

Committee members included Alfred Chang, Jimmy Anderson and Don Trice. Abraham also helped gather information to be considered in formulating a policy.

The policy was formulated to accomplish four major objectives, Trice told commissioners at the work session:

n Attract desirable companies to the county.

n Create additional jobs.

n Expand over time the county's tax base, and

n Create a more favorable balance in the tax base between business and residential development.

Under the guidelines most retail businesses would not be eligible.

"The whole idea is to bring new money," Trice said. "It's not for retail business that would just divide the money that's already here."

For a retail business to be considered, it would have to prove that a substantial majority of its revenue came from outside the county.

Both new companies looking to locate in Lumpkin County and companies here wanting to significantly expand operations or develop additional facilities would be eligible for the economic investment program.

A minimum threshold of $2 million ?hard cost? investment would have to be made in order to qualify.

The policy sets nine parameters for tax incentives.

n No abatements will be granted on existing taxes.

n Incentives granted will be reductions in future ad valorem taxes on new development.

n Formulas of reductions in future levels of taxes will be tailored for each applicant.

n A maximum period of tax reductions is set at 10 years, not to include the initial construction period of no longer than 24 months.

n The tax incentives package will include money issues only and will not include non-financial issues such as location, exaction issues, business issues or other. (The county's request for land for a fire station, made to Mountain Brook Academy, would be an example of on exaction issue. Trice told the board of commissioners the state does not allow the county to use its leverage in this manner.)

n Appropriate legal structure must be adhered to.

n Applicants will pay for all direct legal and other costs related to the negotiation and documentation.

n Applicants must demonstrate a positive attitude toward community participation and involvement.

n Proposed facilities and their operations should minimize any adverse impact on the environment, health, safety or well-being of Lumpkin County and comply with county ordinances and state and federal law.

The authority will require detailed information from the applicant, analyze the projected tax revenue benefits against the proposed incentives package, and make its decision based on whether the cumulative public benefits exceed the cumulative cost of the tax incentives package.

If a company is given a tax incentive program, it will be required to make an annual report to prove its compliance with minimal standards of achievement, such as job creation. The agreement would also contain financial consequences in the event of failure to meet the terms of the agreement.

In putting the guidelines together the committee conferred with numerous experts, including Charley Gatlin, Chief of Staff for Georgia Industry and Trade who has worked with communities on this issue throughout the state; Jeff Lucas, head of project managers for Georgia Industry and Trade; Dan McRae, an attorney who works with development authorities to set these programs up around the state; Jim Finch, head of Economic Development for the Georgia Department of Community Affairs; and Cullen Larson, head of Georigia Economic Developers Association.

The committee also reviewed the Incentives Decision-Making models from the Georgia Economic Developers Association, talked to Gordon, Hall and Griffin/Spaulding counties, and consulted Rope Roberts with Georgia Power about best practices in other north Georgia counties.

It also reviewed a report from the law firm of King and Spaulding on how incentives are used in Georgia, and looked at the Incentives Report from the National Association of Counties Legislative Conference.

Development authorities were created by the Georgia General Assembly to be able to accomplish what local government cannot - grant tax incentives to businesses for the public good.

This is accomplished by transferring their tax-free status to business for a limited time as an incentive to locate in the community. They can do so without the consent of local government, but Abraham said the authority "wants this to be an inclusive process, and we are presenting these guidelines to both the commissioners and the board of tax assessors."

Trice will also make a presentation to the Lumpkin County Board of Tax Assessors at its meeting today, Feb. 8. Regular tax assesssors meetings are held the second Wednesday of the month at 9 a.m. in the conference room of the Lumpkin County Courthouse and are open to the public.
http://www.thedahloneganugget.com/artic ... ntives.txt

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
We should send them the link to this site. Let them find out the truth.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
I'm seriously beginning to wonder if staff cutbacks at HLA have something significant to do with raising capital to get this project off the ground.

It increasingly appears that MBA will not get tax abatement form the county.  That money has to come from SOMEWHERE.

Recently, HLA has been downsizing its staff (at least a couple of teachers).  For a facility that really needs as much staff as it can get, this seems odd.  

Are they having financial struggles with MBA that are leading them to cut staff at HLA to make up the difference?

Are they just in general financial jeopardy?

They have been on a serious PR campaign to dispell rumors of their financial infirmities.  Some consultants that refer to HLA have apparently had recent serious concerns about their economic stability.

Can anyone flesh out the details?
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control