Author Topic: HIDDEN LAKE ACADEMY OPTION  (Read 6292 times)

Offline shopgirl2005

• View Profile
HIDDEN LAKE ACADEMY OPTION
« on: January 12, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »
I'm still doing my research on therapeutic schools and the only tangible thing I found was from the NIH and the only talk about RTC and Hidden Lake is not one of those.

Usually from what I've learned RTC are residential treatments like Brown  Schools or so.

Hidden Lake seems to be accredited for therapeutic and academic purposes and please correct me (anyone) if I'm wrong.  

The program seems perfect for my son but I still have my doubts.  Some people say its ok but other on this forum no.

I currently have a list of parents of student who graduate from HLA and I intend to call all of them to ask them all kind of questions.

If someone has a good or bad experience with HLA please let me know.

I'm still searching for the best option for my son.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
Have you read the HLA forum?
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... 460#163908

As for accreditation, I want you to understand the difference between that and 'LICENSED'.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... rum=41&288

Their wilderness program- Ridge Creek is licensed and monitored by the state. HLA is not. They listed with the state as a 'traditional' boarding school.

You would be wrong to assume that there is an independent entity overseeing and scrutinizing the therapeutic aspect of the program. They are ACCREDITED by an agency which oversees academics- although my A/B son returned home 5 credits behind his peers.

There is much to read there, but you can cut your search time if you:
*Select WWF in the left column
*Type in a search term such as 'accreditation', 'restriction' 'license' etc
*Select the HLA forum from the drop down box
*Then Send

You might also read this forum:
http://groups.myspace.com/HiddenLakeAcademy

Offline SHH Anon Classics

• View Profile
    • http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=13488&forum=41&start=34#165552
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »
The best thing to do is visit the school yourself, talk to parents and others who are familiar with the school, and ask around. Also, read all the documents before you sign them and ask questions if I want you to about what you are signing. This forum can have good information but it also has some who will distort the truth to make places sound like horrible deathtraps. Just follow your instincts and make sure you are comfortable with your decision. Sending your child to a school away from home is sometimes the best option, but sometimes its better closer to home, it will just depend on the individual case.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »
HLA is not required to be licensed by the state based on the state's defination of their program. They are accredited by several agencies, which is something different, but the state does not require the school be "licensed". They are monitored by the Health Dept. for food quality, cleanliness, etc.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 01:01:00 PM »
On 2006-01-12 09:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

"HLA is not required to be licensed by the state based on the state's defination of their program. They are accredited by several agencies, which is something different, but the state does not require the school be "licensed". They are monitored by the Health Dept. for food quality, cleanliness, etc. "

STEER CLEAR of HLA.  You would be making a huge mistake even considering this program.  They are NOT monitored or overseen by any agency.  They are accredited as a traditional boarding school and NOT licensed for mental health care.

Why would you even consider sending a kid in need of therapy to an unlicensed residential treatment center?  

Be sure to read up on HLA and the ongoing problems they have like failed health inspections (staff members reported maggots in the food), LGAT seminars, bizarre confrontational "therapy", forced labor as punishment, sleep deprivation, diet restriction, and many other abusive techniques on the watchlist of ISACCORP.org.  

It has recently been reported by several residents that there have allegedly been multiple incidents of sexual relations between staff and children, including one administrative staff member reportedly "hooking up" with a resident (he was reportedly "fired" then quietly rehired and promoted after the girl left treatment).

There's simply too much to list in a short post, but please do use the search function on this site for information on this behavior modification center.

-Arnold Schopenhauer[ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2006-01-26 15:14 ]
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
On 2006-01-12 09:24:00, shopgirl2005 wrote:

"I'm still doing my research on therapeutic schools and the only tangible thing I found was from the NIH and the only talk about RTC and Hidden Lake is not one of those.

Usually from what I've learned RTC are residential treatments like Brown  Schools or so.

Hidden Lake seems to be accredited for therapeutic and academic purposes and please correct me (anyone) if I'm wrong.  

The program seems perfect for my son but I still have my doubts.  Some people say its ok but other on this forum no.

I currently have a list of parents of student who graduate from HLA and I intend to call all of them to ask them all kind of questions.

I'm still searching for the best option for my son."

I've heard good things about HLA. The best advice is to call parents whos kids have finished the program and talk to them and have a list of questions ready.  Of course like any business they will not provide names of kids who did not do well, but hearing from parents who have had their kids home for awhile will give you a good idea on how they are doing.
Dont be discouraged by some of the horror stories, like someone else mentioned.  They are mostly kids posting who did not finish the program and are not doing very well, but do your research !!

Good luck Shopgirl

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
On 2006-01-12 10:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

Dont be discouraged by some of the horror stories, like someone else mentioned.  They are mostly kids posting who did not finish the program and are not doing very well,

How the hell would you know?  A lot of the people that have posted here are graduates of HLA, former staff or grads of similar programs!  Don't go talking about shit that you have NO clue about.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 01:23:00 PM »
HLA was a cake walk, you guys are fucking spineless pussies, bottom line.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »
On 2006-01-12 10:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

"HLA was a cake walk, you guys are fucking spineless pussies, bottom line."
This was my above post, and before you accuse, I'm not that fucking "short bus" guy, ok?

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
On 2006-01-12 10:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-01-12 09:24:00, shopgirl2005 wrote:

"I'm still doing my research on therapeutic schools and the only tangible thing I found was from the NIH and the only talk about RTC and Hidden Lake is not one of those.

I'm still searching for the best option for my son."

I've heard good things about HLA. The best advice is to call parents whos kids have finished the program and talk to them and have a list of questions ready.  Of course like any business they will not provide names of kids who did not do well, but hearing from parents who have had their kids home for awhile will give you a good idea on how they are doing.

Dont be discouraged by some of the horror stories, like someone else mentioned.  They are mostly kids posting who did not finish the program and are not doing very well, but do your research !!

Good luck Shopgirl"

I take umbrage with this post.  I am an educated professional and was an employee of HLA.

I'm sorry, but if you think you can get the real story form parents of graduates, you are very mistaken.  Parents do not EVER see how the program works.  Before parents visit the kids who act out are taken away from the public areas of the campus, the campus is "G.I.'ed" by the kids to make it spotless and certain kids are hand picked to talk to the visitors.  Parents will NEVER see anything that wasn't made for their eyes.  This is a fact.  I know because I've seen it dozens of times.

Furthermore, HLA IS an RTC.  It is a facility where the kids LIVE full time (residential) and participate in the "program" (treatment) on the campus (center).  They can spin it however they like, but they are an unlicensed RTC (albeit in a bucolic setting).

Most of the former residents who post on here are quite successful in their lives today, but view the program as a harmful setback (they are immediately branded as "not doing well" because they feel the program harmed them).  They have educations, spouses and kids, just you and me.  I'm not sure how that reconciles with "not doing well."  Many are in fact graduates of the program.

I find it absolutely unbelievable that people who have no idea how the program works or what goes on behind closed doors fancy themselves "experts" on HLA because their kid went there and graduated.  The vast majority of former attendees feel HLA harmed them, but they cannot express this to their parents unless they want to get sent back or be branded a "failure."

The true failures here are the parents who sent their kids away to a behavior modification center to be "fixed" instead of offering them real help from professional therapists at home and the charlatans and hucksters pitching a bm center as a "school."

Shopgirl, if you are relying on parents of graduates instead of real research for your information, you're headed for a fall and so is your kid.  Check out askquestions.org for more information on "TBS's".

http://www.askquestions.org/details.php?id=209

"And yet a parent seeking help for a troubled teenager may run across dozens of for-profit organizations offering exactly this kind of treatment regimen at costs ranging from $2,000 to $8,000 per month. Using aggressive and sometimes deceptive sales practices, these therapeutic boarding schools (TBS), wilderness programs, and residential treatment centers (RTC) are a booming industry. One site, NoSpank.net, collects news articles about the ?teen treatment industry? chronicling years of problems within these facilities."
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
Yes, it is true that Dysfunction used to be an employee of Hidden Lake Academy. However, he was employed less than 1 year, and was there when it first opened, and when he left, the school had less than 30 students. He has no idea first hand what goes on there now. He has never seen any of the new buildings. He doesnt know any of the teachers. He doesnt know any of the counselors. There is some good advice on here. Check out all your options. Go visit the schools. See if some place closer to home is better suited for your child. But do not allow someone on here to make you feel guilty for seeking help for your child by looking at boarding facilities.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
Again, not true.  You people cannot come up with a valid argument, so you result to ad hominem attacks to scuttle your criticisms.

Not only was I there for more than a year, I lived on campus, wrote the employee manual, wrote the policy and procedure manual, gave staff training on policy and procedure, ran groups, ran restrictions and personally know several current employees.

This is how HLA handles criticism: atttack the messenger.  Nice try, but again, not true.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
I stand by my original statement. You were there less than 1 year because you started at Hidden Lake in July/Aug 1994 and were already at Daytop in 1995.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
Copied and pasted from the Daytop forum:

Dysfunction Junction
Frequent poster

Posted: 2005-03-19 10:56:00  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Don't worry. We haven't lost track of the "young lady." If you go back and read this thread you'll see she suffered as a resident of Daytop and subsequently as a caregiver (MSW) in a broken-down system, and is now looking for a new career. Funny how we all arrive at the same point, isn't it?

You left in Feb. '95, huh? I started at the ADU in early '95, so I guess we just missed one another. I worked with Mike Clifford, George Weisenburger and Hendrick Toney (not sure if the last name's right) who were ALL great guys.

Anyway, I hope you are doing well in your current endeavors.

If I am doing the math correctly, July 1994 to Early 1995 would be around 8 or 9 months at Hidden Lake Academy.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »
On 2006-01-12 13:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I stand by my original statement. You were there less than 1 year because you started at Hidden Lake in July/Aug 1994 and were already at Daytop in 1995."

I actually started at HLA right after my 24th birthday in 1994 shortly after moving to GA and at Daytop just after my 25th birthday, so that would be the end of May 1995.  So, it was about one year and a few weeks I suppose.

Regardless, the fact remains that you don't even know me or anything about me other than what I have posted on this board.

Why don't you stick to the topic at hand like why does HLA allegedly allow people to work there after they've had sex with their minor patients?  Or why does HLA take court ordered kids but lie to parents and say they don't?  Or how exactly does HLA cure homosexuality?  Or how does millieu control benefit children?  Or why does HLA illegally use forced labor to improve the campus as punishment?  Or why does HLA strip search children when they tell parents they don't?  Or why does HLA use confrontation and call it group therapy?  Or why does HLA not have a contact for grievances in violation of its accreditation?  Or why does HLA use Lifespring large group awareness seminars that have been completely discredited over twenty years ago?  Or what are your credentials to comment on HLA's program or policy?  Or why does HLA illegally accept children in violation of the ICPC?

Start by answering these questions and I'll post the next set when you're done.

Thanks.

-Arnold Schopenhauer[ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2006-01-12 16:46 ][ This Message was edited by: Dysfunction Junction on 2006-01-26 15:26 ]
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control