Author Topic: Diagnosing Hyde: The Gauld Effect  (Read 16191 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Diagnosing Hyde: The Gauld Effect
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 11:08:00 PM »
Hey,

I love hyde too.  I can't believe they still let Joe out of his cage.  I saw him do that kind of stuff in the 70's.  Did you know his real name is Joseph Smith?  Now who would follow a guy named Joe Smith?  I kid, I kid, I love mormons.  I heard he beat a kid in the 80's after the Black's put him back in charge.  The BOD sent him to hawaii to unwind for a couple of months.  Poor Joe! He was tense.

Sid Smith
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »
On 2006-03-03 20:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Hey,

I love hyde too.  I can't believe they still let Joe out of his cage.  I saw him do that kind of stuff in the 70's.  Did you know his real name is Joseph Smith?  Now who would follow a guy named Joe Smith?  I kid, I kid, I love mormons.  I heard he beat a kid in the 80's after the Black's put him back in charge.  The BOD sent him to hawaii to unwind for a couple of months.  Poor Joe! He was tense.

Sid Smith

"

It does not surprise me that Joe Gauld would physically beat a kid. I was there when one of his family members in a high position choked a kid. It also wouldn't surprise me if something much worse has happened at the school.  Hyde is great at trying to cover up the "bad stuff" so it is doubtful we will ever get the true history about Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2006, 05:59:00 AM »
Hey

Ed Legg?  Are you out there?  Say a few words about Joe.

Sid Smith

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2006, 11:52:00 AM »
I've personally seen Joe lose it with staff in DC as well. Anytime someone questions what he says or challenges him in ANY way, he automatically says "this is probably not the place for you". You can not have your own opinions or disagree with him or the administration because then you're not "embracing the process" or "you have a bad attitude".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »
On 2006-03-22 08:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I've personally seen Joe lose it with staff in DC as well. Anytime someone questions what he says or challenges him in ANY way, he automatically says "this is probably not the place for you". You can not have your own opinions or disagree with him or the administration because then you're not "embracing the process" or "you have a bad attitude"."

You either think the Pope is infalable or you don't.  If you don't you're not Catholic.  Perhaps hyde needs a Martin Luther.

John Wesley

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »

"I've personally seen Joe lose it with staff in DC as well. Anytime someone questions what he says or challenges him in ANY way, he automatically says "this is probably not the place for you". You can not have your own opinions or disagree with him or the administration because then you're not "embracing the process" or "you have a bad attitude"."

I too have witnessed many times when Joe Gauld lost it with both parents and students.  It amazes me that the rest of the Hyde staff tolerate this kind of behavior.  Of course, it may be that they condone it and see nothing wrong with it.  Or maybe some of the Hyde staff are intimidated by Joe Gauld.  Whatever the case, this man's inappropriate public displays do lots of damage to the school's reputation.  It's sad that some of the staff seem to mimic his style, which only adds to the growing impression that Hyde is not a good place for most kids and their parents.  I can't believe that so many people go to Hyde despite its reputation.  What I've come to realize is that many parents fall for the Hyde "spin" and then figure out how bad it is once they get there.  Perhaps that's why there's so much turnover and a high drop-out rate.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2006, 07:06:00 AM »

Seems to me that the person who compared Gauld with the definition of "narcissistic personality disorder" hit the nail squarely on its head.  Why would anyone send their child to a school like Hyde that follows that man's lead?  No wonder Hyde is the target of so much criticism.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »
On 2006-03-23 04:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

Seems to me that the person who compared Gauld with the definition of "narcissistic personality disorder" hit the nail squarely on its head.  Why would anyone send their child to a school like Hyde that follows that man's lead?  No wonder Hyde is the target of so much criticism."

Watch it bud. My momma sent me to Hyde. Don't be talking 'bout my momma.

Merle Haggard

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »
On 2006-03-23 08:29:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

Seems to me that the person who compared Gauld with the definition of "narcissistic personality disorder" hit the nail squarely on its head.  Why would anyone send their child to a school like Hyde that follows that man's lead?  No wonder Hyde is the target of so much criticism."

Merle Haggard"

Seems we have a comedian on this site.  You are definitely entertaining Sid, or Meryl or whoever you are! I get the feeling you went to Hyde many years ago.  According to what I am reading it seems Hyde has not changed one bit from all those years ago even though laws have changed and a stronger liability exists for Hyde.  Do you think they are so arrogant that they don't care?  What's the deal with this Joe Gauld?  Does he think he is a prophet or God?  I did not go to Hyde nor do I have a child who goes there, but I was researching boarding schools and came across this very interesting and amusing board.  Hyde is definitely not for my son, but I have enjoyed reading up on this weird school.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2006, 08:31:00 AM »
On 2006-03-23 15:37:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

Merle Haggard"

Seems we have a comedian on this site.  You are definitely entertaining Sid, or Meryl or whoever you are! I get the feeling you went to Hyde many years ago.  According to what I am reading it seems Hyde has not changed one bit from all those years ago even though laws have changed and a stronger liability exists for Hyde.  Do you think they are so arrogant that they don't care?  What's the deal with this Joe Gauld?  Does he think he is a prophet or God?  I did not go to Hyde nor do I have a child who goes there, but I was researching boarding schools and came across this very interesting and amusing board.  Hyde is definitely not for my son, but I have enjoyed reading up on this weird school."

Consider yourself among the very fortunate who have managed to avoid Joe Gauld and his lieutenants.  Although he occasionally has constructive things to say, more often Gauld is full of contradictions and is the perfect model of what NOT to do when working with adolescents.  The ultimate irony is that Gauld's hissy fits and public in-your face, finger-pointing rants and tantrums resemble the adolescent behavior that Hyde claims it addresses.  Imagine that - a school administrator who says that Hyde is where you ought to send your misbehaving, out-of-control adolescent, and then the adolescent gets to model himself after the CEO who often behaves like a misbehaving, out-of-control adolescent.  How weird is that?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
Since Joe's Heart Attack two years ago...he's mellowed considerably.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2006, 10:36:00 AM »

"

"

"

Merle Haggard"

Seems we have a comedian on this site.  You are definitely entertaining Sid, or Meryl or whoever you are! I get the feeling you went to Hyde many years ago.  According to what I am reading it seems Hyde has not changed one bit from all those years ago even though laws have changed and a stronger liability exists for Hyde.  Do you think they are so arrogant that they don't care?  What's the deal with this Joe Gauld?  Does he think he is a prophet or God?  I did not go to Hyde nor do I have a child who goes there, but I was researching boarding schools and came across this very interesting and amusing board.  Hyde is definitely not for my son, but I have enjoyed reading up on this weird school."

I am serious, you are talkin' 'bout Momma.

>Why would anyone send their child to a school >like Hyde

You are implicitly questioning my mother's intent and intellegence.

Merle
http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/hagg ... d-507.html

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »

"

"

"

Merle Haggard"

I take great umbrage with your pejorative "weird".  I assure you I would never have taught at a "weird" institution.  Hyde was unusual by design.  As far as Joe's foibles remember  the pearl is born from the sickness of the oyster.  As the beauty of the pearl is born out of disease and suffering, so are knowledge, noble human nature and purified human feeling born out of suffering and pain.  Hyde has provided many student with the suffering they needed to grow into full complete humans.  Plus it gave Jean and I a great place to play bridge with the Gaulds.

Sumner Hawley

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2006, 04:56:00 PM »
On 2006-03-24 09:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

"

Merle Haggard"

I take great umbrage with your pejorative "weird".  I assure you I would never have taught at a "weird" institution.  Hyde was unusual by design.  As far as Joe's foibles remember  the pearl is born from the sickness of the oyster.  As the beauty of the pearl is born out of disease and suffering, so are knowledge, noble human nature and purified human feeling born out of suffering and pain.  Hyde has provided many student with the suffering they needed to grow into full complete humans.  Plus it gave Jean and I a great place to play bridge with the Gaulds.

Sumner Hawley"

Nice try.  Sumner Hawley died more than a decade ago.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2006, 05:31:00 PM »
On 2006-03-24 13:56:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-03-24 09:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

"

"

Merle Haggard"

Sumner Hawley"

Nice try.  Sumner Hawley died more than a decade ago.  "

I am immortal, not because I alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because I have a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance.

Sumner