Author Topic: Where is Marla? Hidden Lake Academy Special ED. Teacher  (Read 38669 times)

Offline Juniper1

• View Profile
Where is Marla? Hidden Lake Academy Special ED. Teacher
« on: November 28, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »
Marla left HLA in February 2005.  She wrote an open letter about the academy to help us all.
Does anyone know where to find that letter.  I have tried Fornits data base, it seems to have
disappeared.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »
they took her to court

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »
AMAZING FORUMS: Teacher Runs From HLA

Author  Topic:   Teacher Runs From HLA  
marla  posted 2/7/05 5:15 PM        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a rare adult survivor of HLA - I got out IN FEBRUARY 2005,with a little sanity left. After teaching special education for nearly 20 years, I only survived 6 months at HLA. The kids don't feel they can talk to their counselors - maybe its manipulation - maybe not, so they told me things, but I was not in a position to do much except listen without criticizing them and then report safety concerns.ACTUALLY I REPORTED A SAFETY CONCERN TO A COUNSELOR (D.S.) THE DAY I LEFT. IT WAS ABOUT A GIRL WHO HAD JSUT RETURNED FROM A PSYCH HOSPITAL FOR TRYING TO COMMIT SUICIDE WHILE SHE WAS ON "clean air" _ where there is supposed to be extra supervision - THE GIRL HAD CUT SEVERAL MORE TIMES (mostly small stuff)DURING THE 24 - 36 HOURS SHE HAD BEEN BACK AT HLA AND TOLD ME SHE DIDN'T FEEL SAFE AND THOUGHT SHE NEEDED TO RETURN TO THE PSYCH HOSPITAL - I TOLD DOUG S. - ONE OF HER COUNSEWLORS ABOUT IT AND HE SAID "WELL, TELL HER TO CUT AGAIN AND THEN WE'LL SEND HER BACK TO THE PSYCH HOSPITAL." They certainly can't tell their parents their real feelings and experiences without being punished for being manipulative by those who are assigned to monitor their mail, email and phone calls. HLA is not the panacea for all teen problems - most of which kids grow out of or learn to use to their advantage in the business world. Some HLA kids need counseling, some need AA, some need psych hospitals; most need love and time to mature - most are there because their parents were MANIPULATED BY ED. CONSULTANTS AND HLA advertisements. Want a GREAT LAUGH? Go to "struggling teens.com/archives/2001/6/visit01.html" this is a site from "Woodbury Reports, Inc." some ed. consultant deal out of Idaho. This site, while only a few years old, certainly did not describe the HLA I just left. The article claimed the campus was attractive - that's about the only info. I can agree with in their entire review. All the "players" names have changed, except Len, who still owns it and seems like a decent guy, only he leaves the "Mice to play" while he does all his other business things and they do whatever they find most convenient (and maybe even sadistically fun). The article says all teachers are certified - try maybe 20%! The site claims all the kids have IEPs - not! Even if they come in with an IEP, HLA does not have to abide by it because they are a private institution. 100% do not attend college! The cafeteria does not over look the lake - maybe they visited on a rainy day! Restrictions kids get less food and water and are supervised by folks with questionable objectives. Most of the counselors are straight out of college with no experience, so they buy into what the administrators feed them about treating kids in a very punitive way and being constantly suspicious, not to mention telling them behavior modification works. It has been proven that behavior modification in humans is temporary at best.PARENTS - DO YOURSELF AND YOUR WALLET A FAVOR - BEFORE PICKING ANY BOARDING SCHOOL, VISIT UNANNOUNCED AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, AFTER PLACING YOUR KID IN ONE, VISIT UNANNOUNCED. Refuse to be treated like a mushroom- kept in the dark and fed crap! (Parents need to know when their son has been beaten up by a group of homophobic guys. (Some of the kids who came to tell me their problems were gay and felt they were being discriminated against because of this by their counselors and others.) Parents need to know when their daughter has stepped in big puddles of blood first thing in the morning that were left behind by her suicidal roomate. Parents need to know that group therapy has been shown to be more harmful than helpful for "cutters." THIS IS ALL SERIOUS AND FROM THE HEART BECAUSE I TRULY CARE ABOUT THESE KIDS.

Offline Juniper1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »
I heard whisperings the school took her to court..Do you know for sure or the outcome???

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »
They did take her to court, they did not treat her very well when she left. I don't know the final outcome, there was talk of a settlement, but not realy in her favor. There are a lot of former staff out here that have either be threatened or actually taken to court. Try contacting some of them through this board.

Offline Juniper1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »
Do you know why they took her to court??  And, I am trying to find these teachers and staff...Can you help?  I also am trying to find the names of the court ordered children over the years...HLA
maintains there are no court ordered children...
also, suicide attempts are apparently null, but not according to the children that attended there.  Thanks..

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »
On 2005-11-28 19:32:00, Juniper1 wrote:

"Do you know why they took her to court??  And, I am trying to find these teachers and staff...Can you help?  I also am trying to find the names of the court ordered children over the years...HLA

maintains there are no court ordered children...

also, suicide attempts are apparently null, but not according to the children that attended there.  Thanks.."

Unless there have been some serious policy changes there are a great deal of court ordered kids there, as well as suicide attempts and occasional success'.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 12:14:00 AM »
Juniper1, are you the same person who posted under Juniper?
http://fornits.com/wwf/search.php?term= ... mit=Search
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Juniper1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 12:18:00 AM »
Robert,
There have to be records somewhere regarding court ordered, probation officers, etc..THe
school still says they do not accept them,
although apparently, we feel we know different.."SSH" maintained awhile back that she
sent out grades to probation officers...HLA
also states tht they do not have violent children there....Hello??????????WHat a web
they weave...

Offline Juniper1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »
yes, Hi.

Offline Juniper1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »
Sorry, yes, it is me...it has been awhile...

Offline SHH Anon Classics

• View Profile
    • http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=13488&forum=41&start=34#165552
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 06:49:00 AM »
No child has ever committed suicide at the school. Robert is incorrect.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 06:51:00 AM »
that is a fact, that and there was only one real attempt in the last three years

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 09:37:00 AM »
Susie,
You claim to have had no contact with HLA since 2000 and that no one is currently providing you with information; yet you continue to speak on their behalf. Why are you speaking anonymously like an authority?

You still haven't copped to blatantly lying in your anonymous postings.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... 100#142029
Why again aren't you using your user name?

Susie,
Is tuition to HLA still being paid by insurance companies? Are parents still taking tax write-offs for visits to see their 'disabled' child?

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... 120#148107
Might insurance companies feel a bit ripped off if they knew they were paying for tuition to a private boarding school?
How would the IRS feel about parents writing off expenses related to visits to their kid's private boarding school?

What... your contacts can't answer this question for you? Or would you prefer to leave that can of worms sealed?

Wonder which Insurance companies have been defrauded- paying for 'tuition' to a 'private boarding school'?

Offline SHH Anon Classics

• View Profile
    • http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=13488&forum=41&start=34#165552
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »
I didnt answer the insurance question because I dont know the answer to it. If you want to know the answer why dont you call the insurance commissioner or the school. And my only contact is with my son's father and I dont discuss school issues with him. And as far as posting anonymously I didnt ever care whether or not anybody knew who I was, doesnt matter to me. I am speaking on my own behalf on what I know personally, I am not speaking for the school.