Author Topic: Andrea Yates  (Read 31426 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
USA: Stop the Execution of Mentally Ill Offe
« Reply #255 on: August 08, 2006, 03:04:19 AM »
Amnesty International has released a new report on the continued execution of mentally ill offenders in the USA. The report, USA: The Execution of Mentally Ill Offenders, highlights inconsistencies in the case law that has emerged from the administration of the death penalty over the last 20 years in relation to mentally ill offenders. Focusing on the legal definitions used to distinguish between mental retardation (an accepted mitigating circumstance in the avoidance of the death penalty) and mental illness, the report aims to challenge the acceptance of such distinctions and the use of the death penalty against those suffering often debilitating mental illness.

USA: The Execution of Mentally Ill Offenders seeks to illustrate the continued sentencing to death and execution of people with serious mental illness in the US, the inadequacy of existing safeguards in preventing this from happening, and the profound inconsistency in exempting people with mental retardation from the death penalty while those with serious mental illness remain exposed to it.

More than 1000 men and women have been put to death in the USA since the resumption of the death penalty in 1977. Dozens of these people had histories of serious mental impairment. Some had mental retardation(a term commonly used in the US to describe those with learning disabilities), others suffered from mental illness (a term used to cover a range of conditions including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, among others), and some were diagnosed with both. For some, the diagnosis was of mental disorders caused by appalling childhood abuse, prison violence, or combat experience from time spent in the US army. For others, mental illness appears to have been inherited. Mentally ill inmates are among the more than 100 people since 1977 to have dropped their appeals and ?consented? to their own execution, a death wish made possible by a state all too willing to see freedom of choice for such individuals carried through to its lethal conclusion.

Scott Panetti was sentenced to death for killing his parents-in-law in Texas in 1995 . He has a long history of mental illness, including schizophrenia. He was hospitalised more than a dozen times in numerous facilities before the crime, which he claimed was committed under the control of an auditory hallucination he called ?Sarge?. He also claimed that divine intervention had meant that his victims did not suffer, and that demons had been laughing at him at the scene of the crime. Prior to the murder, Scott?s wife, Sonja, and her mother had appealed to police to remove Scott?s hunting guns from their home after he had threatened to kill his wife and her parents. These pleas were ignored. Scott was deemed competent to stand trial and thereafter waived his right to an attorney amid paranoia that they were out to ?get? him. He chose and was allowed to represent himself. During the trial, Scott dressed as a cowboy and gave rambling presentations in his defence. He issued subpoenas to call Jesus, JFK and numerous other dead actors and actresses as witnesses. The trial was deemed by various commentators to be a ?circus? and a joke.A lawyer appointed as Scott?s stand-by counsel, wrote in an affidavit: ?This was not a case for the death penalty. Scott?s life history and long-term mental problems made an excellent case for mitigating evidence. Scott did not present any mitigating evidence because he could not understand the proceeding?. He recalled that ?[h]is trial was truly a judicial farce, and a mockery of self-representation. It should never have been allowed to happen.? Despite all this, the state of Texas continued to defend the death sentence in the case. Scott was due to be executed on the 5 February 2004. This was stayed on the 4 February in order to allow for review of his competence. During appeal it emerged that while Scott understood that he was to be executed, he believed that the state, in league with demonic forces, wanted to execute him in order to prevent him from preaching the gospel. At the time of writing his appeal is ongoing.

121 countries have now abandoned the use of the death penalty as a punishment in law or practice. Amnesty International opposes all executions, regardless of the nature of the crime, the characteristics of the offender, or the method used by the state to kill the prisoner.

To oppose the death penalty is not to excuse or minimize the consequences of violent crime, whether it is committed by mentally impaired offenders or anyone else. Instead, to end the death penalty is to recognize that it is a destructive, diversionary and divisive public policy that is not consistent with widely held values. It not only runs the risk of irrevocable error, it is also costly both in terms of public spending and in social and psychological terms. It has not been shown to have a special deterrent effect. It tends to be applied discriminatorily on grounds of race and class. It denies the possibility of reconciliation and rehabilitation. It promotes simplistic responses to complex human problems, rather than pursuing explanations that could inform positive strategies. It diverts resources that could be better used to work against violent crime and assist those affected by it. It is a symptom of a culture of violence, not a solution to it.

The use of the death penalty is antithesis to the fundamental human rights principles upheld by Amnesty International.

The continued execution of offenders suffering from serious mental illness is particularly offensive to widely held standards of decency. The report, USA: The Execution of Mentally Ill Offenders, includes an appendix of 100 people known to have a mental illness not constituting mental retardation, executed in the US over the past 29 years. This represents one in every ten people executed in this period. This is not an exhaustive list. There are currently around 3,400 people on death row in the USA. It is not known how many of them suffer from mental illness.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Andrea Yates
« Reply #256 on: August 09, 2006, 12:07:43 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Good point!
« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2006, 06:10:50 AM »
The cartoon is right on, no matter the intention of the cartoonist.

Moms do need "me" time, and gratitude, and common sense by their family, friend and society in general.

Great post, great find!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Stigma happens when one is uninformed
« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2006, 06:57:30 PM »
Use of `stigma' does disservice

Posted August 14 2006

E-mail story
  Print story
  Most e-mailed
  News on your cell
XML RSS news feeds

MOST E-MAILED
(last 24 hours)
1.    John Deere wedding
2.    Ireland's Inn giving way to luxury beach resort
3.    Alligators' 'ferocious' immune system could lead to new medicines for people
4.    Coconut Creek police probe shotgun death of Army veteran's wife
5.    Black-handed spider monkey
 See the complete list ...

Click here to subscribe    Subscribe today to the Sun-Sentinel
and find out how to get one week extra!
Click here or call 1-877-READ-SUN.

LocalLinks
As recorded in your Aug. 6 editorial on the Andrea Yates verdict: " ? so sufferers of even milder cases of postpartum depression struggle with the stigma linked to this oppressive mental illness ?"

The use of the term stigma serves only a negative purpose.

People struggle with a lack of knowledge, which is easily corrected when physicians act responsibly and inform, when society acts responsibly and informs.

Harold A. Maio

Former Consulting Editor

Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal

Boston University

Fort Myers

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Elusive treatments that work for Schizophrenia
« Reply #259 on: August 14, 2006, 07:02:28 PM »
Scientist at Work | Thomas McGlashan
A Career That Has Mirrored Psychiatry's Twisting Path

By BENEDICT CAREY
Published: May 23, 2006

The patient, Keith, was a deeply religious young man, disabled by paranoia, who had secluded himself for weeks in one of the hospital's isolation rooms. In daily therapy sessions he said little but was always civil, seemingly pleased to have company and grateful for a cigarette and a light.
Skip to next paragraph
George Ruhe

ALTERED NOTIONS Dr. Thomas McGlashan
Related

Mixed Result in Treating Schizophrenia Pre-Diagnosis (May 1, 2006)

Revisiting Schizophrenia: Are Drugs Always Needed? (March 21, 2006)

Complete Coverage: Schizophrenia
Enlarge this Image
The New York Times

Until one spring morning, when he wrestled the lighter from his therapist's hand and held it to his own head ? igniting his hair.

"I grabbed him and was slapping at the flames, and he immediately became passive," said Dr. Thomas H. McGlashan, the man's therapist. "He went limp and pulled a blanket over his head."

He added, "That patient, that experience, changed everything for me."

In a career that has spanned four decades, Dr. McGlashan, now 64 and a professor of psychiatry at Yale, has with grim delight extinguished some of psychiatry's grandest notions, none more ruthlessly than his own. He strived for years to master psychoanalysis, only to reject it outright after demonstrating, in a landmark 1984 study, that the treatment did not help much at all in people, like Keith, with schizophrenia. Once placed on antipsychotic medication, Keith became less paranoid and more expressive. Without it, he quickly deteriorated.

Dr. McGlashan turned to medication and biology for answers and in the 1990's embarked on a highly controversial study of antipsychotic medication to prevent psychosis in high-risk adolescents. But doctors' hopes for that experiment, too, withered under the cold eye of its lead author.

Early this month, Dr. McGlashan reported that the drugs were more likely to induce weight gain than to produce a significant, measurable benefit.

Through it all, he has remained optimistic, restless, hopeful that he is close to understanding some of schizophrenia's secrets. In a way, his work mirrors the history of psychiatry itself, its conflicts and limits, its shift away from talk therapy to drugs and biological explanations for illness.

And for those who want a sense of what direction the field will take next ? and how ? Dr. McGlashan may serve as a kind of bellwether.

"Basically, you're talking about a person who can walk into an extremely hostile environment and deliver bad news; I don't know how to describe him better than that," said Dr. Wayne Fenton of the National Institute of Mental Health. He is a former colleague of Dr. McGlashan's at Chestnut Lodge, a psychiatric hospital in Rockville, Md., closed in 2001.

"At the lodge, he stood up and, in essence, told all these giants of psychotherapy that there was not a shred of evidence that what they were doing with schizophrenia patients was helping, much less curing the disorder," Dr. Fenton said. "And the therapies were being advertised as cures."

Dr. McGlashan is recognizable from a distance, a lean figure striding across the grounds of the medical school as if against a strong wind, chin forward beneath a mop of white-gray hair. On a typical day, he visits with adult patients at a state mental hospital in the morning and with adolescents in a private institute in the afternoon. He is a deliberate presence, solemn for long periods; but then he will remark on something absurd and tip backward with laughter.

This unsettling combination ? gravity punctuated by sudden levity ? may help explain his comfort with the world of psychosis.

"I thought he was the Antichrist when I first met him; I thought all the therapists were," said Keith, the patient at Chestnut Lodge who changed Dr. McGlashan's thinking in 1982. "But in the end I liked his sense of humor, and he liked mine, and I keep in touch with him."

Keith, who is now 47 and spoke by telephone only on the condition that his last name not be used, said he set his hair on fire that day because he was terrified that a great tribulation was at hand, during which he would be dragged by his hair before the devil.

"I really believed it was coming, any moment, and there was no way to escape," he said. "I still believe it's coming, but not right now; I'm not afraid of it." Dr. McGlashan joined the staff of Chestnut Lodge at a time when psychoanalysis was in ascendance in psychiatry, nowhere more so than at the lodge, which became known for its commitment to treat severe mental illness without antidepressants, antipsychotic drugs or electroshock therapy. It was thrilling just to be there, Dr. McGlashan recalled, hearing so many accomplished therapists offer seemingly powerful ideas about what troubled patients and why.

At the time he was treating Keith, Dr. McGlashan was pursuing a study for the hospital's owner, Dr. Dexter Bullard, to track patients years after treatment. Their records were revealing artifacts, detailing thousands of interactions in which therapists, steeped in psychoanalytic theory, tried to interpret patients' every word and gesture.

In one account, a psychiatrist described an outing when he bought a patient an ice cream cone. The patient refused it vehemently. "This was very exasperating to me," the therapist wrote. "She never did accept the cone, and I had to throw it away. I thought of it at the time as having represented a kind of rape situation to her."

Yet in his analysis of 446 cases, Dr. McGlashan found that about two-thirds of the former patients with schizophrenia who had been treated with psychoanalysis were functioning poorly and struggling in their relationships and in their jobs, if they had them. Their lives were no better than those of similar patient groups who had received little psychotherapy or none at all.

"I felt like people at the lodge had become lost in the process," he said. "We would have all these erudite conversations, talking about interpretations, and meanwhile the patient is crumpled in the corner of his or her room."

Chestnut Lodge changed some of its policies as a result of the study, allowing more drug treatment, job training and other programs.

Dr. McGlashan's intensity, and willingness to reverse course, was evident even in childhood. An ardently religious boy, he grew up with two sisters near Rochester, where his father worked at Kodak. In middle school, the youngster pored through the Bible, to the dismay of his father and the bemusement of his mother.

The devotion was isolating, Dr. McGlashan remembers, creating a mostly private world of mystery and awe. Then in his first year of high school, he met other Christian students, who belonged to a group devoted to proselytizing.

He was reluctant to join, and his father sensed it. "He saved me," Dr. McGlashan said. "He picked me up after a meeting and said it was O.K. to pull back" from the group.

"He was giving me permission."

He graduated second in his high school class and studied chemistry at Yale. He then entered the University of Pennsylvania's medical school, where, during a psychiatry rotation, he met his future. He interviewed a middle-aged Philadelphia businesswoman, who described to him a tortuous plot being hatched against her, involving family members and the F.B.I. "I thought, 'She can't possible believe this,' " Dr. McGlashan said.

He was hooked. Psychosis was isolating, too, and deeply mysterious even to scientists who spent their lives thinking about it. By the 1990's, most psychiatrists believed schizophrenia to be a genetically based brain disorder involving developmental changes that occurred well before the first full-blown psychosis. No one knew precisely what those changes were, but studies strongly suggested that they were real.

Moreover, psychiatric clinics periodically saw adolescents who seemed to be experiencing mild, prepsychosis symptoms. They were "prodromal," in the medical jargon, perhaps destined to develop a full-blown psychotic episode, perhaps not.

Dr. McGlashan and several others saw in these converging threads a possibility: maybe treating young people with drugs before they became psychotic would prevent the illness, and perhaps even help illuminate its cause.

Dr. McGlashan recalled patients at Chestnut Lodge who had spent decades receiving daily psychotherapy, to no avail, before receiving antipsychotic drugs and reclaiming some portion of normal life. One woman spent 18 years at the lodge, barefoot, unkempt, closeted in her room. One day, he said, he looked out a window and saw her going for a morning walk, smartly dressed, wearing shoes; she had recently been given medication and began taking daily walks.

"What right did we have denying her that?" he asked. "Small changes in a person's life, which I think is what we can expect, can make a big difference."

The risks of using drugs to try to prevent psychosis seemed to him moderate. New antipsychotics were becoming available, and, though they could have serious side effects, they appeared to be more tolerable than the older generation of drugs, and to reduce the risk of debilitating, Parkinson's disease-like side effects. So Dr. McGlashan began a study, financed in part by Eli Lilly, giving medication to adolescents considered at high risk for developing psychosis. But almost immediately, there were difficulties.

The test that Dr. McGlashan developed to identify those at high risk proved less reliable than he had hoped, meaning many adolescents would be exposed to drugs needlessly. Participants for the trial were hard to recruit. Mild psychosislike symptoms are rare in adolescents; and some who came in chose to continue seeing Dr. McGlashan or another psychiatrist but did not enter the study.

An ethical debate over the wisdom of early treatment ensued, and not everyone thought the potential benefit was worth the risk.

"Given the likelihood that psychosis is delayed and not prevented by the drugs, and given the severe side effects of the drugs, this is an idea that needs to be taken with great caution," said Dr. Steven E. Hyman, a professor of neurobiology at Harvard and a former director of the National Institute of Mental Health.

And in 2000, Vera Sharav, a prominent patient-protection advocate, wrote to government officials calling the experiment unethical, because "healthy children ? who are not capable of voluntary, informed consent ? are being put at high risk of harm for experimental purposes."

Officials from the federal Office for Human Research Protection began an investigation. About a year later, the agency concluded that the researchers needed to strengthen their informed consent documents to emphasize the side effects of the medication.

The researchers made the required changes, and the trial continued. But in a paper published this month, the authors reported that more than two-thirds of the participants had dropped out, rendering the trial inconclusive. Moreover, those on medication gained an average of about 20 pounds.

The entire process, almost 10 years in the making, has altered Dr. McGlashan's thinking again.

"I'm more pessimistic about all this now," he said. "I don't think the drugs can prevent full-blown psychosis, only delay it." He added, "I think more than ever we need to follow a group of prodromal adolescents who get no drug treatment to see more clearly what happens and refine our understanding of what the prodrome is."

Sitting in his office on a recent Tuesday morning, after having seen three patients taking a total of 10 drugs, Dr. McGlashan sighed. "I've never written so many prescriptions in my life," he said.

He said he had recently gotten a call from someone in England organizing a debate over whether high-risk adolescents should be treated with drugs. "He wanted to sign me up for the pro side, and I said absolutely not," he said.

Now colleagues are watching the progression of his thinking, wondering where his drive for answers will ultimately take him. "It's funny, he seems to be coming full circle," said Dr. Barbara Cornblatt, the director of the Recognition and Prevention Program at Zucker Hillside Hospital in Glen Oaks, N.Y., and an early critic of preventive drug treatment. "I may be more optimistic about early treatment than he is at this point."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hinckley seeks four-day visits
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2006, 01:22:41 PM »
Hinckley seeks four-day visits
By Jim McElhatton

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published August 15, 2006

Attorneys for John W. Hinckley Jr. are asking a federal judge to allow the would-be presidential assassin to stay at his parents' house four nights at a time pending a move to expand his freedoms from a D.C. psychiatric hospital, court records show.
    Hinckley, 51, who tried to kill President Reagan in 1981, was permitted to go on seven overnight trips to his parents' house in Williamsburg after a judge's ruling in December.
    He has one trip left but is barred from taking any more releases from St. Elizabeths Hospital without a court order.
    The U.S. attorney's office last week objected to the move, saying there isn't enough information available for government analysts to evaluate how Hinckley is faring on the overnight stays.
    "The government recognizes, as it has in the past, that Mr. and Mrs. Hinckley have been a model of dedication to a child stricken with mental illness," Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas E. Zeno said in a memo to U.S. District Judge Paul L. Friedman last week.
    "However, there are many issues regarding Mr. Hinckley's return to live with his parents which must be addressed," the memo states.
    For instance, federal prosecutors said in court documents that they need to subpoena Hinckley's medical records but note that they can't get access until a court hearing is scheduled.
    In addition, prosecutors said, psychiatrist John J. Lee, who agreed to meet with Hinckley during the overnight stays in Williamsburg, is "untested as a reporter of information about Mr. Hinckley."
    Hinckley's attorneys were unavailable for comment yesterday.
    In a memo filed Thursday, the attorneys called the government's objection "wholly without merit," saying the overnight stays have been therapeutic for their client.
    Hinckley's overnight trips to Williamsburg provide the most freedom he has had since he was found not guilty by reason of insanity in 1982 in the shooting of Mr. Reagan, press secretary James Brady, Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy and Metropolitan Police Officer Thomas Delahanty.
    He said he shot the president to impress actress Jodie Foster, whom he did not know.
    In recent years, Hinckley gradually has won increasing freedoms from St. Elizabeths, including short trips with his parents, such as a 2005 outing to the National Air and Space Museum, and unsupervised overnight stays in Williamsburg.
    He has expressed a desire for finding a girlfriend on his trips to Williamsburg, but said it would be difficult.
    "I can tell when a man or a woman is interested in me for my notoriety, and I don't want a woman who is interested in me for that," Hinckley said, according to a clinical assessment dated July 20, 2005, included in court filings.
    Judge Friedman noted in his ruling in December that the goal of Hinckley's treatment is "reintegration into society, whether that takes place in his parents' community or elsewhere."
    Hinckley's attorneys and the U.S. Attorney's Office held a telephone conference call with Judge Friedman to discuss the dispute Friday.
    Executive Assistant U.S. Attorney Monty Wilkinson yesterday said government attorneys have no comment beyond what is in court pleadings.
    He said Judge Friedman did not say during Friday's conference call when he will decide whether to permit Hinckley more overnight stays.
    A hearing on expanding Hinckley's conditions of release has been scheduled for Nov. 6.
    Mr. Wilkinson said government attorneys will not know what kind of loosened restrictions Hinckley's attorneys will seek until next month.
    Hinckley's attorneys have said that the overnight trips have been a success.
    "Mr. Hinckley has complied fully with all of the conditions of release, and not a single negative occurrence has been reported in connection with any of the trips," Adam Proujansky, said in a memo to Judge Friedman.
    Mr. Proujansky also questioned the concerns from prosecutors about the reliability of information about Hinckley's overnight stays.
    "There is nothing in the record to suggest that the hospital staff, Dr. Lee or Mr. Hinckley's parents have not been completely truthful in their reporting of Mr. Hinckley's behavior."

Copyright © 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Risk Factors for Depression in Pregnant and Postpartum Women
« Reply #261 on: July 26, 2011, 11:09:51 AM »
Risk Factors for Depression in Pregnant and Postpartum Women: Presented at APA

By Kristina R. Anderson

SAN DIEGO, CA -- May 21, 2007 -- Major depression and anxiety disorders in pregnancy and during postpartum are conditions that are routinely under-diagnosed and often go untreated or under-treated. That's according to findings presented here at the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association (APA).

The researchers say women at risk of developing major depression during pregnancy need to be correctly screened and identified because the depression can carry over to the even more vulnerable postpartum period and can put the bonding process at risk.

"We've always known about the link between depression and the postpartum period but depression in pregnancy itself is being diagnosed more routinely," said Deidre Ryan, FRCPC (Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada) and associate professor of psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Canada, Women's Hospital. "But the symptoms such as sleep, appetite and energy changes can overlap, especially in the first trimester of pregnancy, making diagnosis difficult."

Dr. Ryan also noted there is a spectrum of mood changes from the "blues," which are experienced by 50% to 70% of women and usually resolve spontaneously and rarely require treatment, all the way to postpartum psychosis where suicide is a risk.

The risks of untreated depression during pregnancy, she said, are lack of good prenatal care; risk of medical/obstetrical complication, such as intrauterine growth retardation; self-medication and substance abuse; lack of bonding, which generally begins in pregnancy; and although very uncommon, the risk of suicide exists. "Although suicide rates are lower for women when they're pregnant than at any other time in their lives, those with untreated depression will go on to develop postpartum depression," said Dr. Ryan.

Then there is the "Andrea Yates" syndrome, which had "huge repercussions throughout the world," Dr. Ryan said. "Forty percent of women with postpartum depression report obsessional thoughts, for instance, images of harm occurring to the baby." Yates killed her five young children in 2001 by drowning them in the bathtub. The DSM IV postpartum psychosis occurs not only, as commonly thought, within the four weeks after birth, but actually within the first year of the birth. There can be mood swings, insomnia, hallucinations, and symptoms that require admission to a hospital. This is the time that women are at the highest risk for suicide, Dr. Ryan noted.

There are also comorbid issues that require screening, such as eating disorders. "Many women are preoccupied with weight and shape," Dr. Ryan said, suggesting that all pregnant women be screened between 28 and 32 weeks of pregnancy and also postpartum, between one and four months.

Some of the biological risk factors for perinatal depression include a prior history of depression, family history of psychiatric illness, discontinuation of medications, significant medical/obstetrical problems, hypothyroidism, and cessation of lactation. "The time of weaning or cessation of lactation is a risk time for developing perinatal depression and, at this time, we do not know if breast feeding offers protection from depression or not," said Dr. Ryan. "Chronic maternal depression results in higher rates of anxiety, depressive and behavioural disorders in toddlerhood, preadolescence, and adulthood."

The psychosocial risk reactions that put women at high risk for perinatal depression include:

• Lack of a partner, family, and social support

• Stressful life events

• Death of a family member

• Breastfeeding difficulties

• Colicky babies and infant health problems

• Unplanned pregnancy

• Socioeconomic status

• Abuse issues

• Cultural issues and disappointment over the sex of the child

"Depression not only affects the woman, but the entire family is at risk if the woman is not treated," said Dr. Ryan, "especially the child who exhibits internalizing behaviour."

The Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale is now the gold standard for identifying women who are suffering from postpartum depression but Dr. Ryan said that the future goal was a screening tool for all anxiety disorders that put women at risk during and after pregnancy.

[Presentation title: "Management of Psychiatric Disorders in Pregnant and Postpartum Women"]