Author Topic: Sleep Meds  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« on: October 28, 2005, 04:19:00 PM »
I am going through a stressful time. I'm not depressed but I am too restless up to sleep because I have a lot on my mind. I wanted to take a short term supply of Ambien, but my insurance won't cover it--they will, however, cover Trazadone, but it is my understanding that is an anti-dep.  Does anyone know anything about the f/x of trazadone? Are there any herbal remedies that are effective in promoting fast sleep with no next day hangover? I NEED SLEEP!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Sleep Meds
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 05:20:00 PM »
Have you tried non-drug methods? Cut down on sugar and caffine, relaxing music, soothing tea, reading before bed, extra excercise, meditation? I'd try all that before trying new drugs; normalized, standardized pharma products of wild ones.

But, as calming herbs go, I find St. John's Wort (tincture, not dried herb pills) works pretty good. I've heard valerian root is good too. Some people say chamomile tea does it.

If we choose to violate the rights of the innocent in order to discover and act against the guilty, then we have transformed our country into a police state and abandoned one of the fundamental tenants of a free society. In order to win the war on drugs, we must not sacrifice the life of the Constitution in the battle.
--US District Judge H. Lee Sarokin

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »
I have cut down on sugar substantially and I always read before bed (can't go to sleep without it).  I drink caffeine in the am, but other than that, steer clear.  Also, I started an exercise program a month ago.   Still too restless to sleep... I wanted to know if melatonin or kava kava are any good? I thought St. John's was for depression, but it helps with sleep?

Offline idioteque

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »
Trazadone is an adequate drug at treating insomnia. They'll usually start you out at 50-100mg as needed for sleep. Keep in mind that this is a tricyclic anti-depressant which is very different from modern SSRIs. This is a class of drugs that has been abandoned for that purpose since the mid-70's. Back then, a therapeutic dose of trazadone was 400mg and upwards.

Nighty night.

Offline idioteque

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 06:26:00 PM »
Oh, and I suggest Valerian root as an herbal alternative. Recently the FDA has been concerned with Kava kava leading to some dreadful something or other.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »
I was on Trazadone for a while. I stopped taking it within a week though because it gave me really intense nightmares. I know this sounds stange, but it is one of the drug's side effects. I never had dreams so vivid, terrifying and fucked up in my life. Really weird.

Now I just smoke good quality pot at night. It's natural and much healthier, no side effects. Good organic stuff is hard to come by unless you grow your own. Lucky good quality seeds from Europe are only a money order away!  :em:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 06:33:00 PM »
Hmmm. Nightmares do not sound like a good time. And now I remember something about kava kava and the liver.  Smoking dope --well, I don't have a hook up, I have small kids to care for, and I hate smoking. Makes me raspy. Anything else?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Sleep Meds
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »
On 2005-10-28 14:30:00, Anonymous wrote:

I thought St. John's was for depression, but it helps with sleep?

Well, that's what they say, and there are credible studies to show it. I dunno. Never tried it that way. But the old folk lore said it was good for calming hysteria and nervousness. That's me. Once in awhile, some little thing will happen (car backfire, someone burst into the room unexpectedly) and, instead of just being startled for the moment, I feel like I've just dodged a volley or mortar fire or outrun a pack of savage dobies or something--just all out of perportion to the situation. In that case, I take about a teaspoon or two of the standard tincture (8oz 90 proof to 4 oz of herb) in some nice warm tea. Works wonders.

Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
--Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 08:06:00 PM »
We keep melatonin around for my husband's occasional insomnia. He gets good results with it, but I can't take it. It gives me nightmares - and also, I can't get completely woke up. Puts me in a kind of weird sort of sleep walking state if I have to wake up for any reason during the night. Not good. I find that the benedril I take for my allergies helps me get to sleep, even if I am upset for some reason. You might want to try that.  
I also like the vitamin mix "Stress tabs". They can mellow me out when I find myself feeling anxious.
Sleep Tight :smile:

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »
On 2005-10-28 15:33:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Hmmm. Nightmares do not sound like a good time. And now I remember something about kava kava and the liver.  Smoking dope --well, I don't have a hook up, I have small kids to care for, and I hate smoking. Makes me raspy. Anything else?"

I'd go with the benadryl if you are just going to use it once in awhile. I have insomnia too and that worked really well for awhile until my body started building up a resistance to it and I was having to take about six of them to fall asleep. I tried the trazadone, but it left me drained the next day. As far as the smoke goes it worked for awhile, but I'm no longer sleepy from that either.

Do you ever just stay awake for a day or 2 and then try and start all over and go to bed before midnight? I find this about the only thing to work for me.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 09:25:00 PM »
I think there was a warning that
St. John's Wort cut the effectiveness
of birth control pills.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 02:47:00 AM »
Different things work for different people.
Find a Dr of Oriental Medicine. They can fix you up, with NO side effects. They do not view insomnia as an isolated problem, but a symptom or indicator of more going on internally than is obvious. Adding more stress to the liver and other organs is not useful.
For rare instances of insomnia I like about a third of a bottle of Spaten Optimator- stout German beer. Works like a charm. Sleep like a baby.
Whatever you take, be sure you understand how much and how long you can safely take it. Some herbs can be dangerous if used inappropriately.
And it never hurts to find a good friend to talk to about what's buggin ya... if it's more mental than physical.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Sleep Meds
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »
I like that solution! I will try it next
time I am tossing and turning.

In the old western movies it seems like
they used booze as a cure all  :exclaim:

Offline butt99

• View Profile