Author Topic: Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant  (Read 53722 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2005, 09:15:00 PM »
Come on! Get with it, lawyers are scum bags..There is a reason why they are the butt of all jokes..And I will continue to post here all I want..I went thru Hyde and my opinion is just as valuable as all you other stuck up snobs... :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »
Hey Steve, stop trying so hard to sound intelligent, this is only a little Hyde board..Get real buddy....

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »
On 2005-12-08 18:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Come on! Get with it, lawyers are scum bags..There is a reason why they are the butt of all jokes..And I will continue to post here all I want..I went thru Hyde and my opinion is just as valuable as all you other stuck up snobs... :lol: "

Tell all the lawyer jokes you want.  Guess what?  Lawyers don't give a s&^%.  If I told you that before going into private practice I spent five years fighting the government on behalf of poor people who couldn't afford to hire their own attorney, would that make any difference?  Nah, probably not.  Joke away!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »
What do you want, a cookie??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2005, 11:17:00 AM »
The insult war is getting ridiculous and is off topic.  If you have something to say that is relative to the topic of education and what education should look like, then I think that would be much more interesting.  There are plenty of people who love Hyde and had wonderful experiences there.  Those who didn't seem equally passionate in their distaste for the place.  Does anyone want to say why they think it causes such a polar reaction?  Let's try to be respectful of differing view points.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 08:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The insult war is getting ridiculous and is off topic.  If you have something to say that is relative to the topic of education and what education should look like, then I think that would be much more interesting.  There are plenty of people who love Hyde and had wonderful experiences there.  Those who didn't seem equally passionate in their distaste for the place.  Does anyone want to say why they think it causes such a polar reaction?  Let's try to be respectful of differing view points."

I have plenty of respect for the people who love Hyde - except when they are condescending and insulting towards those who hold conflicting opinions.  Unfortunately, as folks can see from this board, that is, with few exceptions, how they react to postings like mine.  Check out the alum on the "cowards" thread trying to tell me that I didn't really earn my diploma.  That is exactly the sort of judgmental attitude that conflicts with the very priciples the school seeks to develop in its students.

Understand the reaction that comes from the pro-Hyde people stems from the fact that they were lost and found something special there.  They feel personally attacked when the school gets slammed.  I have no problem with that.  I just wish that they could have the courage not to respond with personal insults.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »
I'm not insulting you Larry, I'm simply stating you should not have graduated with a "Hyde Diploma".  And the seniors and faculty are not the ones who should have insisted...it should have been you!  Don't you see that by taking the Hyde Diploma, you were saying that you agreed what was going on there.  And from this website, it's quite obvious that you didn't.  where is the personal insult?!  Please tell me!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 08:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm not insulting you Larry, I'm simply stating you should not have graduated with a "Hyde Diploma".  And the seniors and faculty are not the ones who should have insisted...it should have been you!  Don't you see that by taking the Hyde Diploma, you were saying that you agreed what was going on there.  And from this website, it's quite obvious that you didn't.  where is the personal insult?!  Please tell me!

"
Wow, Great point!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »
are you being sarcastic. or do you really agree?

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 08:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm not insulting you Larry, I'm simply stating you should not have graduated with a "Hyde Diploma".  And the seniors and faculty are not the ones who should have insisted...it should have been you!  Don't you see that by taking the Hyde Diploma, you were saying that you agreed what was going on there.  And from this website, it's quite obvious that you didn't.  where is the personal insult?!  Please tell me!

"

No, I don't see that.  The diploma said that I was living my life by standards of excellence, and I was.  It didn't mean that I had to agree with everything that went on there.  Don't YOU see that?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2005, 12:09:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 08:33:00, Lars wrote:

"

On 2005-12-09 08:17:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The insult war is getting ridiculous and is off topic.  If you have something to say that is relative to the topic of education and what education should look like, then I think that would be much more interesting.  There are plenty of people who love Hyde and had wonderful experiences there.  Those who didn't seem equally passionate in their distaste for the place.  Does anyone want to say why they think it causes such a polar reaction?  Let's try to be respectful of differing view points."

I have plenty of respect for the people who love Hyde - except when they are condescending and insulting towards those who hold conflicting opinions.  Unfortunately, as folks can see from this board, that is, with few exceptions, how they react to postings like mine.  Check out the alum on the "cowards" thread trying to tell me that I didn't really earn my diploma.  That is exactly the sort of judgmental attitude that conflicts with the very priciples the school seeks to develop in its students.

Understand the reaction that comes from the pro-Hyde people stems from the fact that they were lost and found something special there.  They feel personally attacked when the school gets slammed.  I have no problem with that.  I just wish that they could have the courage not to respond with personal insults. "

I concur completely, Larry.  For some time now most of the postings here have been reasonable, fair, and thoughtful, with a few exceptions.  Some people have agreed to disagree.  

However, during the past few days one or more people have posted terribly immature, snide, provocative comments that are a disservice to the rest of us who are trying to engage in a civilized dialogue characterized by respect for different opinions.

Sadly, the horribly inappropriate recent comments are similar to comments I have heard at Hyde many times uttered by some people.  If the recent postings are indeed from people affiliated with Hyde (I wonder), it provides even more evidence of the destructive nature of the Hyde environment, and that is important information for parents considering Hyde to know.  

So, those of you who are trying to drag down Hyde's critics and this website with these immature potshots, you're only providing more and more evidence of what is wrong with Hyde.  Your comments clearly demonstrate that you are not a credit to the school, expecially when you communicate this way with people who criticize Hyde.  The grand irony is that you are harming Hyde much more than helping - this is fuel for the fire.  Are these your true Hyde colors?  Is this how you learned to communicate while at Hyde?  

If you keep this up, you will add to the growing, permanent Internet record for everyone to see demonstrating some of the many reasons why parents should not enroll their kids at Hyde.  Hyde's public relations image has suffered in recent months because of this website; a number of people have decided not to explore Hyde for their kid because of this website (I have confirmation of that). These immature postings and potshots make it even worse for Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »
I am an alum who had a very positive experience at Hyde.  I really did not like the school for the first year and a half that I was there.  I was very private about my misery, but I just didn't enjoy it.  The change for me was not a "once was lost but now I'm found" experience.  I was the same person underneath all along.  Instead, I had discussions with people about who I am and what my dreams look like.  People took me seriously and expected much from me.  That validation helped me to develop my strengths.  This change began when I was acknowledged in performing arts, and it permeated into other areas of my life.

I know that Hyde is hard and that not everyone there is or was happy.  I'm not sure that anyone who has gone there assumes that the school is perfect.  But I think that for many people, change starts with a mentor.  Hyde is a place full of people who want to mentor character growth in others.  Not everyone has that experience or wants that experience, but it can be life changing.

Hyde may not be the end-all be-all in education, but I do know that mainstream schools shouldn't be as impersonal as they are now.  (BTW, I think it's unacceptable that public schools are let off the hook for having to educate their population just because they can't filter who they admit.  Everyone in America deserves a good education.)  Hyde tries to make a community environment in which everyone is invested in helping everyone else grow up.  This intention is noble and should not be lost.  It makes me sad that some people who did not have the same experience that I did, and I respect your desire to talk about it now.  It's cathartic.  I'm glad you got inspired somewhere else, but I do think that for many the opportunity is available at Hyde School.  That is why I disagree with what many on this board are saying.  Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 09:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am an alum who had a very positive experience at Hyde.  I really did not like the school for the first year and a half that I was there.  I was very private about my misery, but I just didn't enjoy it.  The change for me was not a "once was lost but now I'm found" experience.  I was the same person underneath all along.  Instead, I had discussions with people about who I am and what my dreams look like.  People took me seriously and expected much from me.  That validation helped me to develop my strengths.  This change began when I was acknowledged in performing arts, and it permeated into other areas of my life.

I know that Hyde is hard and that not everyone there is or was happy.  I'm not sure that anyone who has gone there assumes that the school is perfect.  But I think that for many people, change starts with a mentor.  Hyde is a place full of people who want to mentor character growth in others.  Not everyone has that experience or wants that experience, but it can be life changing.

Hyde may not be the end-all be-all in education, but I do know that mainstream schools shouldn't be as impersonal as they are now.  (BTW, I think it's unacceptable that public schools are let off the hook for having to educate their population just because they can't filter who they admit.  Everyone in America deserves a good education.)  Hyde tries to make a community environment in which everyone is invested in helping everyone else grow up.  This intention is noble and should not be lost.  It makes me sad that some people who did not have the same experience that I did, and I respect your desire to talk about it now.  It's cathartic.  I'm glad you got inspired somewhere else, but I do think that for many the opportunity is available at Hyde School.  That is why I disagree with what many on this board are saying.  Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water."
I agree 100%, Hyde was a wonderful experience, and I thank god for the 2 years I had to discover who I really am...I believe it's the WEAK people who have a problem with Hyde School

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2005, 04:53:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 12:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-09 09:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am an alum who had a very positive experience at Hyde.  I really did not like the school for the first year and a half that I was there.  I was very private about my misery, but I just didn't enjoy it.  The change for me was not a "once was lost but now I'm found" experience.  I was the same person underneath all along.  Instead, I had discussions with people about who I am and what my dreams look like.  People took me seriously and expected much from me.  That validation helped me to develop my strengths.  This change began when I was acknowledged in performing arts, and it permeated into other areas of my life.

Hyde may not be the end-all be-all in education, but I do know that mainstream schools shouldn't be as impersonal as they are now.  (BTW, I think it's unacceptable that public schools are let off the hook for having to educate their population just because they can't filter who they admit.  Everyone in America deserves a good education.)  Hyde tries to make a community environment in which everyone is invested in helping everyone else grow up.  This intention is noble and should not be lost.  It makes me sad that some people who did not have the same experience that I did, and I respect your desire to talk about it now.  It's cathartic.  I'm glad you got inspired somewhere else, but I do think that for many the opportunity is available at Hyde School.  That is why I disagree with what many on this board are saying.  Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water."

I agree 100%, Hyde was a wonderful experience, and I thank god for the 2 years I had to discover who I really am...I believe it's the WEAK people who have a problem with Hyde School"

Weak people don't achieve what I have.  I hated the place and I have a great career & family. I don't think my family would agree that I'm weak. Nobody's saying throw the baby out with the bathwater.  People are just expressing how they feel about the place.  Of course you have to be insulting and say that if someone had a problem there they were weak.  Try to show some of that character the Hyde people are always preaching about.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2005, 05:31:00 PM »
Nothing is more frustrating than to see all of the name calling in this discussion!  Just because someone likes Hyde does not mean that they have a Kool-Aid drinking problem nor does it mean that they are a faculty member.  Just because someone doesn't like it doesn't make them weak or mean that they are an anonymous off-track student or mean that they don't have a brain.  Hyde is very different from a traditional education.  For me, I loved it.  I went there for a few years.  While a student, I expressed my opinions, took heat for it on occasion, and appreciated that people were willing to passionately and forthrightly disagree with me.  I took heat for it, but I kind of liked that.  It didn't stop me from thinking and may have forced some faculty members to better develop their own arguments.  I chose to be extremely respectful when I disagreed and in turn, felt respected for my differing point of view.  

I have appreciated being able to discuss these things with you, Lars, because you have made valid points that have gone beyond mudslinging.  Whether I agree with you or not, I respect that.  I wish that more people were willing to have calm discussions about education and what is best for kids, even if this discussion is personal and passionate.  Hyde is a unique school that has spent 40 years experimenting with how to raise kids in a boarding school setting.  Maybe a real conversation with fresh ideas on how to improve an educational model that strives to do something different is more productive than simply to argue over whether or not it is currently the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Why not treat this forum as a comment box?  How would you improve what they are trying to do?  What should a really good school that is trying to help raise the next generation of kids look like?  Sometimes dissatisfied customers provide great ideas.  You said yourself that you thought they were reading this...  Just a thought.