Author Topic: Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant  (Read 53322 times)

Offline Lars

• View Profile
Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »
On 2005-12-07 17:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Well, I'm glad your life is good now.  But did you really think that what I wrote was such a rave review?  I didn't think it was that positive.  Just because I wasn't ready to burn the place down...  I guess I just don't give high school that much credit as a make-or-break point in life.  I'm sorry that you were traumatized.  Maybe I don't understand.  What was so bad again?  Really, I see why someone might not want to go there, but how is it so bad that you would recommend cutting off admission?"

Read some of my earlier posts.  [ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2005-12-07 17:23 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »
Hyde is a cult, plain and simple.  ::nod::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2005, 11:06:00 AM »
On 2005-12-07 17:22:00, Lars wrote:

"

"Well, I'm glad your life is good now.  But did you really think that what I wrote was such a rave review?  I didn't think it was that positive.  Just because I wasn't ready to burn the place down...  I guess I just don't give high school that much credit as a make-or-break point in life.  I'm sorry that you were traumatized.  Maybe I don't understand.  What was so bad again?  Really, I see why someone might not want to go there, but how is it so bad that you would recommend cutting off admission?"

Read some of my earlier posts.  [ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2005-12-07 17:23 ]"

I did read them, and from what I understand, your biggest resentment is that they didn't understand that your "lack of effort" or "bad attitude" was really just clinical depression.  You said that no one understood that until later, and that in the meantime, Hyde punished you for it.  Does that describe it in a nutshell?  I can understand why that would be a major problem by anyone's standards, but do you feel equally resentful towards the other schools you attended?  What makes Hyde in particular so responsible when other normal schools didn't identify it either?  A friend of mine felt the same way about her addiction, when she was accused of lying about it-- no one understood that she was using because she was completely out of control.  At the time, the school glossed over the chemical nature of what she was going through and continued to try and make it about attitude.  Bad move.  One near-death experience later and she was in rehab where she should have been all along.  So the question is:  What makes Hyde really bad?  Is it because they convince your parents not to listen to you when you say you don't want to be there (when maybe there's a really good reason why you shouldn't be there?)  Is it because they promise to be able to help, and sometimes you have to fake being helped to get out of there without actually solving the problem, because when it comes to you, they don't actually know what they're talking about?  

Part of Hyde's curriculum that makes it successful with some and freaky with others is this need for total commitment.  They claim that parents must be totally committed or their kids won't change.  Then they say that the kid must become totally committed or he won't graduate.  Some of what they require is action, but a large bulk of it is also belief.  That is where it becomes a "cult" at worst, and socially coercive at best.  One of my major criticisms of the program is this aspect.  Maybe at fifteen you don't know your own mind.  Maybe at fifteen it helps to live in a structured example of a moral way to live, where peer pressure positively keeps people in line in the same way that negative peer pressure dictated their behavior before.  But what if the whole program breaks down a student's uniqueness by messing with their faith in their own ability to make good choices?  I hated that when I questioned things, I was patronized for just not "getting it" yet.  I also hated that it was assumed that every kid's best move was to be there, and that leaving there was tacitly accepted as bad parenting.  I appreciate Hyde because I was motivated there in a away that no other place seemed to motivate me.  I also recognise and take seriously the major concerns I listed above.

So what are the options out there for a kid similar to myself who didn't really exist in high school?  There is public school, where no one cares and where the self-motivated, socially gifted or athletically successful students seem to thrive.  There is therapy for students who are rebelling, cutting, doing drugs or are completely out of control.  Hyde prides itself on reaching the kid that no one else can reach, and though I do not think that many of its methods are ideal by any stretch of the means, what school environment does well with the nobodies?  We've had suggestions for therapy schools, and someone vaguely suggested that Hebron, etc. are taking the underachievers.  While Hyde may make all of the boastful claims about "getting your kid," does anyone really help them?  What I did like was that Hyde asked me some major questions about my life, questions that have been provocative as I try to create a meaningful existence.  What I didn't like is that they seemed to have some preformulated expectations of what the answers to those questions should look like.  I am concerned that that much identity hand-holding can be detrimental, and that part I have never taken seriously.  So what would really make a good school?  Just calling Hyde a cult isn't good enough.  I certainly know enough educators who barely have time for themselves, much less the 150 kids a year that they teach.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »
I appreciate your input.  You seem like a thoughtful, reasonable person, and you ask some very good questions.  But saying that misdiagnosis of depression summed up my discontent in a nutshell is not an accurate summary of my posts.  I feel that much of what went on was abusive and cruel.  I do hold Hyde responsible for inflicting unnecessary suffering because their assumption that every problem stemmed from attitude or lack of character demonstrates an astounding degree of arrogance.  Like I said in an earlier post, I don't think it would have mattered to them if they had known.  If you read some of the posts from the really pro-Hyde people, you'll see that they are unshakeable in in their belief that Hyde is just the greatest thing for every kid and really don't want to contemplate the idea that the program may be deeply flawed.  Their response to postings like mine amounts to "sour grapes" or "you don't get it" What they're not seeing, though, is that my feelings (and those of others) are simply a way of getting off our chest anger at being unnecessarily being subjected to a miserable experience.  Too, many of us do feel that prospective parents aren't getting the real story from the propaganda that Hyde puts out.

I don't know if there was any one thing that could sum it all up up.  But if I had to point out one thing?  For years afterward I had a recurring nightmare that I was back at Hyde, getting ready to go off to college and the school and parents would tell me that I "didn't get it" and that I had to spend another year there.

What other options are out there for a kid like you, you ask?  What makes for a good school?  One thing's for sure, one size doesn't fit all.  Frankly, all I can say is that there are a lot of options out there, and I'd encourage any parents have have a "nobody" to really look around. Don't assume that a highly structured environment is the answer, I know that I only began to really succeed when I entered the completely unstructured world of a large university.  People also need to understand that many "nobodies" come out of their shell and into their own AFTER high school.  We all know people who were considered "losers" in high school who are now among the most successful people we know.  And few people I know, even those who were among the most academically, socially or athletically gifted really enjoyed high school.

Does that answer your questions?

[ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2005-12-08 09:43 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
On 2005-12-08 08:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-07 17:22:00, Lars wrote:

"

Read some of my earlier posts.  [ This Message was edited by: Lars on 2005-12-07 17:23 ]"

I did read them, and from what I understand, your biggest resentment is that they didn't understand that your "lack of effort" or "bad attitude" was really just clinical depression.  You said that no one understood that until later, and that in the meantime, Hyde punished you for it.  Does that describe it in a nutshell?  I can understand why that would be a major problem by anyone's standards, but do you feel equally resentful towards the other schools you attended?  What makes Hyde in particular so responsible when other normal schools didn't identify it either?  A friend of mine felt the same way about her addiction, when she was accused of lying about it-- no one understood that she was using because she was completely out of control.  At the time, the school glossed over the chemical nature of what she was going through and continued to try and make it about attitude.  Bad move.  One near-death experience later and she was in rehab where she should have been all along.  So the question is:  What makes Hyde really bad?  Is it because they convince your parents not to listen to you when you say you don't want to be there (when maybe there's a really good reason why you shouldn't be there?)  Is it because they promise to be able to help, and sometimes you have to fake being helped to get out of there without actually solving the problem, because when it comes to you, they don't actually know what they're talking about?  

Part of Hyde's curriculum that makes it successful with some and freaky with others is this need for total commitment.  They claim that parents must be totally committed or their kids won't change.  Then they say that the kid must become totally committed or he won't graduate.  Some of what they require is action, but a large bulk of it is also belief.  That is where it becomes a "cult" at worst, and socially coercive at best.  One of my major criticisms of the program is this aspect.  Maybe at fifteen you don't know your own mind.  Maybe at fifteen it helps to live in a structured example of a moral way to live, where peer pressure positively keeps people in line in the same way that negative peer pressure dictated their behavior before.  But what if the whole program breaks down a student's uniqueness by messing with their faith in their own ability to make good choices?  I hated that when I questioned things, I was patronized for just not "getting it" yet.  I also hated that it was assumed that every kid's best move was to be there, and that leaving there was tacitly accepted as bad parenting.  I appreciate Hyde because I was motivated there in a away that no other place seemed to motivate me.  I also recognise and take seriously the major concerns I listed above.

So what are the options out there for a kid similar to myself who didn't really exist in high school?  There is public school, where no one cares and where the self-motivated, socially gifted or athletically successful students seem to thrive.  There is therapy for students who are rebelling, cutting, doing drugs or are completely out of control.  Hyde prides itself on reaching the kid that no one else can reach, and though I do not think that many of its methods are ideal by any stretch of the means, what school environment does well with the nobodies?  We've had suggestions for therapy schools, and someone vaguely suggested that Hebron, etc. are taking the underachievers.  While Hyde may make all of the boastful claims about "getting your kid," does anyone really help them?  What I did like was that Hyde asked me some major questions about my life, questions that have been provocative as I try to create a meaningful existence.  What I didn't like is that they seemed to have some preformulated expectations of what the answers to those questions should look like.  I am concerned that that much identity hand-holding can be detrimental, and that part I have never taken seriously.  So what would really make a good school?  Just calling Hyde a cult isn't good enough.  I certainly know enough educators who barely have time for themselves, much less the 150 kids a year that they teach."

You seem like a very thoughtful, reasonable person who has taken the time to carefully consider the Hyde critics' points.  You have not done what several pro-Hyde people have done on this website, and that is to launch into the litany of Hyde jargon and accusatory, dismissive, and judgmental assaults.  I really appreciate your mature approach; unfortunately, I haven't encountered that much at Hyde (there are exceptions, but too few).  What I experience at Hyde is usually full of self-righteous, patronizing, judgmental arrogance (especially from Joe Gauld.

I have two comments about your points.  First, you ask Lars whether he resents OTHER schools for not picking up on his depression pre-Hyde.  Is it really fair, you ask, to criticize Hyde for responding to everything as an "attitude" problem without addressing (where it exists) underlying depression (or whatever psychiatric issue is lurking), particularly when the student's other schools didn't do this either?  My answer is, yes, one can absolutely criticize Hyde for this.  Here's the main reason: Public schools have to take everyone who shows up at the door.  Typically with limited resources, they do the best they can and often fail to meet every kid's complex needs.  They may overlook or neglect a kid's mental health issues.  That's unfortunate.

Hyde, on the other hand, knows full well that they admit an incredibly large percentage of kids with serious mental health diagnoses.  They've CHOSEN to do that.  Hyde admits in its own materials that describe the Hyde student body that the school admits lots of kids with a veritable "alphabet soup" of diagnoses.  So, Hyde chooses to admit these kids and then chooses to largely ignore the ways in which the kids' mental health issues influence whatever behavior or "attitude" problems show up at Hyde.  That's a problem, I think, and a serious one.  It's one of the major reasons lots of educational consultants won't refer kids to Hyde and it's a reason why I think parents of kids with major mental health struggles should avoid Hyde completely.  Sending these kids to Hyde is a set-up and a real disservice to them and their families.  It amazes me that Joe Gauld's arrogance  won't let in this fact; but, of course, that's part of the well known problem at Hyde.

Second, you ask about other options for these kids who don't need tremendous structure or residential treatment but require considerably more than the typical public school has to offer (including attention to their attitudes, values, mental health challenges, etc.).  The truth is there ARE a number of "niche" schools out there for exactly this population.  Many of them fall under the heading of "emotional growth" schools and they exist for the very population you describe (kids who need more than the traditional boarding school and less than a therapeutic boarding school).  I've spoken with a number of former Hyde parents who have tremendous things to say about the emotional growth school they found after getting out of Hyde as quickly as they knew how.  Typically they talk about what a remarkable difference the new school made because of its much more enlightened approach, especially compared with Hyde's toxic environment.  Believe me, those schools exist.  A really good educational consultant knows about them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
How can you hold a grudge, when you cant even hold a job..

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2005, 02:32:00 PM »
On 2005-12-08 11:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"How can you hold a grudge, when you cant even hold a job.."

Just exactly who are you referring to?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »
I would be very curious to know what your childs personal experiences were at Hyde. Was he/she ever treated abusively? my son is there against my wishes and is starting to have problems. I would like him out but am having a problem convincing the father.What other schools have you looked into that you found favorable? Were any of them in the same area of Hyde? Can you tell e the name of the consultant you used? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »
Not you Larry, or am I ??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »
On 2005-12-08 12:37:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I would be very curious to know what your childs personal experiences were at Hyde. Was he/she ever treated abusively? my son is there against my wishes and is starting to have problems. I would like him out but am having a problem convincing the father.What other schools have you looked into that you found favorable? Were any of them in the same area of Hyde? Can you tell e the name of the consultant you used? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared: "
Get him the hell out of there as SOON as possible..Try the white mountain school....

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2005, 04:01:00 PM »
On 2005-12-08 12:42:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Not you Larry, or am I ??"

Well are you?  If you are, how do you figure I can't hold a job? And since you're not calling me by my screen name, how about telling folks here who you really are?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »
On 2005-12-08 12:37:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I would be very curious to know what your childs personal experiences were at Hyde. Was he/she ever treated abusively? my son is there against my wishes and is starting to have problems. I would like him out but am having a problem convincing the father.What other schools have you looked into that you found favorable? Were any of them in the same area of Hyde? Can you tell e the name of the consultant you used? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared: "

Other schools that seem to have good reputations and would probably be a major improvement over Hyde (as far as I can tell):

White Mountain School: http://www.whitemountain.org/
Rock Point School: http://www.rockpoint.org/
Carlbrook School (more formal and structured than the other two): http://www.carlbrook.org/home.htm

Good luck.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2005, 04:05:00 PM »
On 2005-12-08 13:01:00, Lars wrote:

"

Well are you?  If you are, how do you figure I can't hold a job? And since you're not calling me by my screen name, how about telling folks here who you really are?  "
I was just kidding around with you lars, I was not at all talking about you, your a good guy..Take it easy, John

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
On 2005-12-08 13:05:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-08 13:01:00, Lars wrote:

"

Well are you?  If you are, how do you figure I can't hold a job? And since you're not calling me by my screen name, how about telling folks here who you really are?  "

I was just kidding around with you lars, I was not at all talking about you, your a good guy..Take it easy, John"

So John who are you referring to that can't hold down a job?  What years did you go to Hyde and which campus did you attend?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
Lars,
i am sory for your experiences at Hyde, but it seems you flourished regardless. My son is there, against my wishes (another story) and I am truly afraid for his emotional well being. Can you share with me what exactly it was about Hyde that has left such a bad taste with you. I need as much info. as possible if i am to have any kind of communication with his father, who is a fan of the school. Thank you in advance.