Author Topic: Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant  (Read 53723 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Warning about Hyde School from an educational consultant
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
I am happy that you had a positive experienced at Hyde, but I completely disagree with your statement, "I believe it's the WEAK people who have a problem with Hyde School"

I've observed that it is the weak adult staff who stay at Hyde.  Most are either related through blood or marriage, or recovery alcoholics, or parents of kids who have big issues that brought them to Hyde.  My opinion is that these staff that stay on for years stay because they can't make it without the security of Hyde.  This is the same reason people stay in Cults.

Take a look at the staff who have been there for years!  Besides the disfunctional "family", you have mostly overweight, (some obese) unhappy women, some who have never been married, or have not been able to sustain a relationship, gay men who are struggling with living in a world where they might not be accepted, hippies who never were able to leave the 70's behind them, recovering addicts and alcoholics, and the few "functional" staff who only stay for a year or two until they figure out how bizarre this place is!

I admit this is only one persons opinion, mine and many of you might disagree with me, but this is how I feel since I left Hyde 1 1/2 years ago.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2005, 05:59:00 PM »
I very much appreciate your thoughtful comments.
Frankly all this argument and discussion has worn me out a bit.  I don't really know that making suggestions to Hyde is all that great of an idea.  For one thing, I don't think they're really amenable to change.  For another, I may not be the one to make suggestions - I probably needed another type of school altogether at that age.  I think that's what made me, at least in part, so angry about the whole business.  My parents were control freaks and they sent me to a school run by control freaks...and all I wanted was to be left alone.  Maybe that's why going away to college finally helped me get my life together.  But I don't feel so much anger after 100 or so posts on this board and that's a good thing.  Like someone said, it's just high school - get over it.  Hell, I WANT to feel good about the experience.  Me & everyone else that went there went through a lot.  And I do miss some folks.

Anyway, thank you for your kind thoughts.  I do try to see the good in things - you have to in my line of work.  As far as what the Gaulds & the rest of the people at Hyde think, I just hope they listen to what I've said and take it to heart.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »
Hyde School in one word- bizzare. I agree my friend

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2005, 06:03:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 14:59:00, Lars wrote:

"I very much appreciate your thoughtful comments.

Frankly all this argument and discussion has worn me out a bit.  I don't really know that making suggestions to Hyde is all that great of an idea.  For one thing, I don't think they're really amenable to change.  For another, I may not be the one to make suggestions - I probably needed another type of school altogether at that age.  I think that's what made me, at least in part, so angry about the whole business.  My parents were control freaks and they sent me to a school run by control freaks...and all I wanted was to be left alone.  Maybe that's why going away to college finally helped me get my life together.  But I don't feel so much anger after 100 or so posts on this board and that's a good thing.  Like someone said, it's just high school - get over it.  Hell, I WANT to feel good about the experience.  Me & everyone else that went there went through a lot.  And I do miss some folks.

Anyway, thank you for your kind thoughts.  I do try to see the good in things - you have to in my line of work.  As far as what the Gaulds & the rest of the people at Hyde think, I just hope they listen to what I've said and take it to heart. "
Lars, I hope you continue to post here, It's refreshing to hear what you have to say, in such a civil manner, I love you like a brother my co-Hyde alumni!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »
What's wrong with Hyde School? This is my first time seeing this board. What's the big problem with Hyde??????????????????????????

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2005, 09:11:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 18:43:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What's wrong with Hyde School? This is my first time seeing this board. What's the big problem with Hyde?????????????????????????? "

If you are interested, read all the previous posts and you will see both postive and negative comments about Hyde, although you will find there is a high percentage of negative comments on this board.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2005, 09:18:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 14:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am happy that you had a positive experienced at Hyde, but I completely disagree with your statement, "I believe it's the WEAK people who have a problem with Hyde School"

I've observed that it is the weak adult staff who stay at Hyde.  Most are either related through blood or marriage, or recovery alcoholics, or parents of kids who have big issues that brought them to Hyde.  My opinion is that these staff that stay on for years stay because they can't make it without the security of Hyde.  This is the same reason people stay in Cults.

Take a look at the staff who have been there for years!  Besides the disfunctional "family", you have mostly overweight, (some obese) unhappy women, some who have never been married, or have not been able to sustain a relationship, gay men who are struggling with living in a world where they might not be accepted, hippies who never were able to leave the 70's behind them, recovering addicts and alcoholics, and the few "functional" staff who only stay for a year or two until they figure out how bizarre this place is!

I admit this is only one persons opinion, mine and many of you might disagree with me, but this is how I feel since I left Hyde 1 1/2 years ago."
d

Quite the contrary!  I do agree with you.  My husband once pointed out this very same thing.  He asked the question, "How can disfunctional staff, teachers and administrators try to help kids change their lives when they themselves have not been able to work out their issues after many years?"  Why hasn't the program worked for these "Hyde Lifers" if it is a successful program?I think he has a good point!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 09:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am an alum who had a very positive experience at Hyde.  I really did not like the school for the first year and a half that I was there.  I was very private about my misery, but I just didn't enjoy it.  The change for me was not a "once was lost but now I'm found" experience.  I was the same person underneath all along.  Instead, I had discussions with people about who I am and what my dreams look like.  People took me seriously and expected much from me.  That validation helped me to develop my strengths.  This change began when I was acknowledged in performing arts, and it permeated into other areas of my life.

I know that Hyde is hard and that not everyone there is or was happy.  I'm not sure that anyone who has gone there assumes that the school is perfect.  But I think that for many people, change starts with a mentor.  Hyde is a place full of people who want to mentor character growth in others.  Not everyone has that experience or wants that experience, but it can be life changing.

Hyde may not be the end-all be-all in education, but I do know that mainstream schools shouldn't be as impersonal as they are now.  (BTW, I think it's unacceptable that public schools are let off the hook for having to educate their population just because they can't filter who they admit.  Everyone in America deserves a good education.)  Hyde tries to make a community environment in which everyone is invested in helping everyone else grow up.  This intention is noble and should not be lost.  It makes me sad that some people who did not have the same experience that I did, and I respect your desire to talk about it now.  It's cathartic.  I'm glad you got inspired somewhere else, but I do think that for many the opportunity is available at Hyde School.  That is why I disagree with what many on this board are saying.  Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water."

I appreciate and respect your comments and am glad you had positive experiences at Hyde.  But, my own experience was just the opposite; what I experienced and witnessed at Hyde was full of hypocrisy, pain, and arrogance. I'm still dealing with the ill effects, even years later.  Although I met some wonderful people and staff who tried their best to be helpful, I also met many Hyde staff who were full of themselves, inexperienced, unskilled, cruel, and hurtful.

I have a few questions for you:  How did you find this website?  Did you learn about this from someone at Hyde?  Did someone from the Hyde staff or alumni group ask you to post comments in an effort to show a "positive" side of Hyde, as a way to challenge all of the negative comments here?  I would appreciate an honest answer (remember Hyde's commitment to TRUTH over HARMONY).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2005, 02:20:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 12:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-12-09 09:15:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am an alum who had a very positive experience at Hyde.  I really did not like the school for the first year and a half that I was there.  I was very private about my misery, but I just didn't enjoy it.  The change for me was not a "once was lost but now I'm found" experience.  I was the same person underneath all along.  Instead, I had discussions with people about who I am and what my dreams look like.  People took me seriously and expected much from me.  That validation helped me to develop my strengths.  This change began when I was acknowledged in performing arts, and it permeated into other areas of my life.

I know that Hyde is hard and that not everyone there is or was happy.  I'm not sure that anyone who has gone there assumes that the school is perfect.  But I think that for many people, change starts with a mentor.  Hyde is a place full of people who want to mentor character growth in others.  Not everyone has that experience or wants that experience, but it can be life changing.

Hyde may not be the end-all be-all in education, but I do know that mainstream schools shouldn't be as impersonal as they are now.  (BTW, I think it's unacceptable that public schools are let off the hook for having to educate their population just because they can't filter who they admit.  Everyone in America deserves a good education.)  Hyde tries to make a community environment in which everyone is invested in helping everyone else grow up.  This intention is noble and should not be lost.  It makes me sad that some people who did not have the same experience that I did, and I respect your desire to talk about it now.  It's cathartic.  I'm glad you got inspired somewhere else, but I do think that for many the opportunity is available at Hyde School.  That is why I disagree with what many on this board are saying.  Let's not throw out the baby with the bath water."

I agree 100%, Hyde was a wonderful experience, and I thank god for the 2 years I had to discover who I really am...I believe it's the WEAK people who have a problem with Hyde School"

I appreciate and respect your comments and am glad you had positive experiences at Hyde.  But, my own experience was just the opposite; what I experienced and witnessed at Hyde was full of hypocrisy, pain, and arrogance. I'm still dealing with the ill effects, even years later.  Although I met some wonderful people and staff who tried their best to be helpful, I also met many Hyde staff who were full of themselves, inexperienced, unskilled, cruel, and hurtful.

I have a few questions for you:  How did you find this website?  Did you learn about this from someone at Hyde?  Did someone from the Hyde staff or alumni group ask you to post comments in an effort to show a "positive" side of Hyde, as a way to challenge all of the negative comments here?  I would appreciate an honest answer (remember Hyde's commitment to TRUTH over HARMONY).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2005, 05:20:00 PM »
No one coerced me into saying those positive things.  I found this website on my own when I was googling things.  I have no affiliation with the school.  It just wasn't that bad for me, and that's truly how I feel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2005, 05:24:00 PM »
On 2005-12-10 14:20:00, Anonymous wrote:

"No one coerced me into saying those positive things.  I found this website on my own when I was googling things.  I have no affiliation with the school.  It just wasn't that bad for me, and that's truly how I feel."

Thank you.  I appreciate that.  I can't help but wonder whether Hyde staff and HAPA parents are getting nervous about the negative impact this website is clearly having on Hyde and are approaching Hyde "fans" to post positive comments.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if that was going on either, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they were just ignoring this site-- the more attention it gets, the easier it is to Google.  Besides, it's pretty much acknowledged that Hyde's biggest problem is that it tacitly writes off any criticism to ignorance of the process.  No wonder it hasn't changed much in 40 years!  I still think that some of the ideas are valuable, even if they've been perverted by Hyde's current structure.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »
I just got my daughter out of Hyde this week. Thank Jesus I did!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »
On 2005-12-10 17:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I just got my daughter out of Hyde this week. Thank Jesus I did! "

Are you able to share the reasons why you pulled your daughter out of Hyde?  I'm interested in knowing more about this school.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »
In a nutshell; It's a brainwashing factory.