Author Topic: Legislation for Unregulated Boarding Schools  (Read 3536 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Legislation for Unregulated Boarding Schools
« on: October 09, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »
legislation and press conference opposing teen abuse
Sorted in DESC Order  
marcwordsmith
Familiar Face

Posted: 2005-10-09 15:19:00  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I have been in email contact lately with Allison Pinto, who heads the Alliance for the Safe, Therapeutic and Appropriate use of Residential Treatment, or A START, which is a coalition of mental health professional seeking to curb abusive programs like the Seed, Straight, WWASPS, et. al. You can read more about A START here: http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/cfsnews/2005news/A_START.html

and Allison's email address is:
[email protected]. Make sure to tell her you are a program survivor. She wants to get at least 100 of our signatures; so far she only has 35 or so.

Next, I'll paste info about the press conference. So . . .

THE LETTER

Honorable Members of Congress
United States House of Representatives and United States Senate
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Members of Congress,

As parents and family members concerned about the emotional well-being of children, we join together to express our serious concern about the large number of youth with serious mental disorders now housed in unlicensed and unmonitored residential treatment facilities referred to as therapeutic boarding schools. We feel so strongly about the threat posed by this new institutionalization of children and the need for appropriate and effective services that we must write at this time.

In the last fifteen years, unlicensed privately run residential programs for youth with mental and emotional problems have proliferated. Hundreds of new programs now market aggressively over the Internet preying upon desperate families who seek help for their children. Many families pay enormous sums?facilities cost up to $100,000 per year?to obtain ?treatment? for their troubled children. The programs are located around the country, and even outside the country, and often times children are transported hundreds, if not thousands, of miles across state lines to these programs.

The reality of what occurs in some of these programs is often quite different from the highly individualized, highly structured programs advertised to parents. These programs are troubling for a number of reasons.

¨ Children are often prohibited from speaking with their own families for up to six months, a practice which has significant negative consequences for child and parent relationships;
¨ Seclusion and restraint procedures are significantly more restrictive than what is generally accepted by mental health licensing and accrediting bodies. These practices have resulted in several documented deaths;
¨ Even though the needs of the children in these facilities are great, unqualified staff are charged with implementing treatment plans and supervising children;
¨ The educational services provided to the children often fail to meet even minimum standards;
¨ No research has demonstrated that these programs have long-term benefits.

Even more alarming is that abuse and neglect are all too common within these
facilities. There have been many highly public media accounts of atrocious examples of sexual and physical abuse, and medical neglect in these facilities. Yet, there is still little to no public oversight, leaving these already emotionally fragile children even more vulnerable. The lack of oversight in these facilities also means that the full scope of the problem is unknown.

Alternatives have been developed to meet the needs of our children?options that work better and cost less, but they are frequently not available. As the Surgeon General?s Report on Mental Health Reported in 1999, ?the most convincing evidence of effectiveness is for home-based services and therapeutic foster care.? A comprehensive system of care would dramatically reduce the number of children in these facilities because children could be served in their own communities, at a significantly reduced cost.

Today, we join with others in calling on the General Accounting Office to conduct a study into the issue of children housed in unlicensed therapeutic boarding schools, and the conditions that they are required to endure, so that the full extent of the problems in these facilities can be understood. We also urge Congress to enact legislation to increase protections for children in therapeutic boarding programs in the United States and abroad, and to improve access to essential community and school-based mental health services.

Specifically, we urge lawmakers to enact the following bipartisan, commonsense proposals that would support the call from President Bush?s New Freedom Commission on Mental Health to ?swiftly eliminate unnecessary and inappropriate institutionalization,? and that would make the use of therapeutic boarding schools both safe and rare:

¨ End Institutionalized Abuse Against Children Act of 2005 (H.R. 1738);
¨ The Keeping Families Together Act (S. 1704, H.R. 3243);

Too little information is known about the extent of the problems and abuses, and yet what is known is the cause of great concern. As parents, we believe that at best these programs do not meet the needs of many of our children, and, at worst, they subject children to abuse. The undersigned individuals look forward to working with Members of Congress to enact these reforms.

ON BEHALF OF:

AND NOW ABOUT THAT PRESS CONFERENCE:

Allison Pinto writes:

We are on track to conduct a press conference on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, October 18 from 3 - 4 p.m. in Room HC-9 of the U.S. Capitol Building. It will be led by A START (Alliance for the Safe, Therapeutic and Appropriate use of Residential Treatment; http://cfs.fmhi.usf.edu/cfsnews/2005news/A_START.html) and formally co-sponsored by the American Psychological Association, Child Welfare League of America, American Association of Community Psychiatrists, American Orthopsychiatric Association, and Federation of Families for Children's Mental Health. The panel of individuals who will be speaking will include: a clinical psychologist from the Florida Mental Health Institute; a child/adolescent psychiatrist from Seattle; a former unregulated program staff member who worked at a program in Idaho; a former program participant who attended a small program in Montana; a parent of a former program participant who attended large programs in Montana and Jamaica; an attorney/MH rights advocate from the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law in D.C. and Congressmen George Miller and Pete Stark.
Everyone is invited to attend; the room will hold 50 people, and it would be best for the room to be packed! Some family members and former program participants have contacted me to ask whether they would have an opportunity to speak at the press conference, and I clarified that the structure of this press conference will not provide formal opportunities, except for the one parent and one youth representative on the panel. However, we anticipate that some of the journalists who are present might want to speak with youth and parents who have had direct experience with the programs. (We have sent invitations to journalists at the Washington Post, New York Times, Chicago Tribune, USA Today, Boston Globe, Gannett, Reuters, Associated Press, UPI, Time Magazine, NPR, Primetime, Dateline, Frontline and CBS Nightly News.) We are putting together a sheet with the names and contact info of the parents and youth who have let us know that they would be willing to be contacted by the press by phone or email afterward.
We are really hoping that this press conference prompts a request for Congressional testimony, and when that happens, that is when it would be really important for as many youth and family members as possible to travel to D.C. to share their stories. We will certainly let everyone know when we hear of a call for testimony from Congress.

[ This Message was edited by: marcwordsmith on 2005-10-09 15:26 ][ This Message was edited by: marcwordsmith on 2005-10-09 15:34 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »
Finally!!  It is about time we bring this to the attention of Lawmakers!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
How do I sign onto this letter?  I am a survivor of a wilderness program and hyde school.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
On 2005-10-09 19:40:00, Anonymous wrote:

"How do I sign onto this letter?  I am a survivor of a wilderness program and hyde school."
Can you tell us how you "survived" Hyde school?  I think it's curious (and very telling) that you call yourself a survivor and not a "graduate."

What was your experience at Hyde?
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 08:45:00 PM »
No graduate!  Hyde's education was so poor I had to come home to go to school.  At that point I had many problems getting back into the public school system because Hyde's requirements were much lower than public school as well as their paperwork being screwed up.  

The public school in my county had to hold me back a grade because of Hyde and I could not start 11th grade for another six months, (the fall) at which time I would have been 18 years old in 11th grade. Hyde had already held me back a year. My family and I decided the only solution was to get a GED.  You cannot believe how much I cried over this and avoided people rather than having to admit I was not in school but instead going for my GED. I never thought I would get through this, but I did and I am thriving now.  I will become successful in spite of Hyde and one day I will be in a position to tell my story.

It is my opinion that Hyde is NOT a Boarding School for struggling kids.  It is a mind altering school where a high percentage of kids have major emotional problems.  I am sure there are success stories considering the magnitude of the kids problems when they enter!  Anything would be an improvement when there is no access to drugs, alchohol, gangs, etc. Saying you are a success at Hyde is nothing to brag about.

As far as how I survived, this is not something I care to get into. I pray for those who are still at Hyde and for those staff members who are emotionally STUCK there. Hyde does operate like a Cult and many staff are victims too.

Please continue to keep up the good work. Most of what I am reading is an accurate description of what I went through.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 12:05:00 PM »
Wow!  Very enlightening!  I am sorry for you. You seem to have a good outlook. As someone said, if at all possible keep your kids at home, give them lots of love and local psychological counseling and do NOT send them to a program!  Some seem to be a little better than others, but overall it seems to be a poor choice.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
COOL BEANS!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 02:03:00 PM »

"How do I sign onto this letter?  I am a survivor of a wilderness program and hyde school."

E-mail Dr Pinto.

She is also taking stories as well, either in detail or just a breif summary, feelings, etc..

[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »
On 2006-02-21 11:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

E-mail Dr Pinto.

She is also taking stories as well, either in detail or just a breif summary, feelings, etc..

[email protected] "

Yes, by all means share your experiences at Hyde (the bad and the good) with Dr. Pinto.  These people are very interested in exploring what happens at schools like Hyde, especially with respect to students whose needs (mental health, etc.) can't be met by the staff the school employs.  My own experience at Hyde was very harmful.  They definitely don't have the ability to provide mental health services to many of the Hyde students who need them.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 07:34:00 PM »
On 2006-02-21 15:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

E-mail Dr Pinto.

[email protected] "

Yes, by all means share your experiences at Hyde (the bad and the good) with Dr. Pinto.  These people are very interested in exploring what happens at schools like Hyde, especially with respect to students whose needs (mental health, etc.) can't be met by the staff the school employs.  My own experience at Hyde was very harmful.  They definitely don't have the ability to provide mental health services to many of the Hyde students who need them.  "

I keep hearing about how bad Hyde is for kids with "mental health" issues.  Over and over again I see posts about mental health and how damaging Hyde School is for different disorders that kids have.  What about all the kids who sign up for Hyde thinking that their grades will improve because Hyde supposedly helps kids self esteem!  This is just as damaging!  They lie to the parents and tell them how great the kids will do scholastically as long as they follow the program.  BULL!!  I am now in college after doing a long stretch at Hyde.  I was one of the more obedient kids who followed the program to the letter.  Little good did it do me in school!  My college Biology Professor cannot believe I ever took a science in high school from how much I struggle with this introductory course.

I struggle a lot in college because of the poor study skills I learned at Hyde  Some kids might do well in college, but it isn't because of Hyde.  My feeling is that if someone is doing well in college after graduating from Hyde, it is because they learned good skills at home before going to Hyde.

I strongly urge parents not to consider Hyde as a school that helps kids self esteem.  I learned some good things while at Hyde, but studying was not one of them. Hyde has made me feel worse about myself now that I am in college on my own. I realize how behind I am compared to other kids who went to public school or good private schools. It is not a good feeling.

I am happy for those kids who feel they gained something from Hyde, but most of the ones who  I graduated with aren't doing so hot.  You can't believe the promotional materials written by Hyde  It is not true that 98% of the graduates attend a four year college.  I don't know how they can say this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 07:56:00 PM »
On 2006-02-21 16:34:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-02-21 15:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

E-mail Dr Pinto.

[email protected] "

Yes, by all means share your experiences at Hyde (the bad and the good) with Dr. Pinto.  These people are very interested in exploring what happens at schools like Hyde, especially with respect to students whose needs (mental health, etc.) can't be met by the staff the school employs.  My own experience at Hyde was very harmful.  They definitely don't have the ability to provide mental health services to many of the Hyde students who need them.  "

I keep hearing about how bad Hyde is for kids with "mental health" issues.  Over and over again I see posts about mental health and how damaging Hyde School is for different disorders that kids have.  What about all the kids who sign up for Hyde thinking that their grades will improve because Hyde supposedly helps kids self esteem!  This is just as damaging!  They lie to the parents and tell them how great the kids will do scholastically as long as they follow the program.  BULL!!  I am now in college after doing a long stretch at Hyde.  I was one of the more obedient kids who followed the program to the letter.  Little good did it do me in school!  My college Biology Professor cannot believe I ever took a science in high school from how much I struggle with this introductory course.

I struggle a lot in college because of the poor study skills I learned at Hyde  Some kids might do well in college, but it isn't because of Hyde.  My feeling is that if someone is doing well in college after graduating from Hyde, it is because they learned good skills at home before going to Hyde.

I strongly urge parents not to consider Hyde as a school that helps kids self esteem.  I learned some good things while at Hyde, but studying was not one of them. Hyde has made me feel worse about myself now that I am in college on my own. I realize how behind I am compared to other kids who went to public school or good private schools. It is not a good feeling.

I am happy for those kids who feel they gained something from Hyde, but most of the ones who  I graduated with aren't doing so hot.  You can't believe the promotional materials written by Hyde  It is not true that 98% of the graduates attend a four year college.  I don't know how they can say this."

I agree with you completely.  Not only is Hyde unable to help so many of its students who have serious mental health issues, the school provides a very mediocre education.  For many Hyde students the academic experience is far below typical schools.  Academics at Hyde just aren't a major priority and lots of Hyde graduates seem to struggle in college.  Sure, some Hyde kids do well in college, but I agree that it's not because Hyde provided them with such a good education.  I think Hyde is okay for a very small percentage of students who go there with attitude problems.  For the rest, Hyde is a terrible place to go if you're looking for a solid education or help with serious emotional problems.  Hyde doesn't work for lots of students.  Just look at the drop-out rate from Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
You say to look at the "dropout" rate at Hyde.  How can you look at it?  Hyde doesn't put the true facts out there.  The only way we all know how bad the dropout rate is for both students and faculty is because we were a part of Hyde and know the truth.  Those parents considering Hyde who listen to the promotional rhetoric are the ones who are in for a rude awakening!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »
On 2006-02-22 07:57:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You say to look at the "dropout" rate at Hyde.  How can you look at it?  Hyde doesn't put the true facts out there.  The only way we all know how bad the dropout rate is for both students and faculty is because we were a part of Hyde and know the truth.  Those parents considering Hyde who listen to the promotional rhetoric are the ones who are in for a rude awakening!"

The best way to look at this is to identify the number of students who enroll at Hyde and the percentage who leave the school prior to graduation.  All the available evidence suggests that this drop out rate is enormously high.  Of course, whether Hyde administrators will reveal those numbers is another matter; these figures don't help with Hyde's PR (public relations).  However, those of us who have been affiliated with Hyde for years see the drop out rate with our own eyes.  It's not hard to do a body count.  Also, if you hang around Hyde long enough you hear lots and lots of stories about the kids/families who leave the school.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »
I was at Hyde for 2 1/2 years.  The roster that I have from my first year tells it all.  There were only a handful on this list who ended up graduating with me. Yes, I mean handful!  What is worse is at least 50% of the faculty was also gone.  This was not an unusual 2 1/2 years.  I took a look at the current roster and see the same stats.  The staff that were at Hyde my senior year are down to about 25% now!  I have never heard of such a high turnover at any other school!