Author Topic: hurricane victims are victims of our uncaring government  (Read 10670 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hurricane victims are victims of our uncaring government
« on: September 01, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »
I am so sad by the lack of aid from our government. They want to stop looting... Feed them!!! Our government doesn't care about the poor and the blacks and the old. If this were a wealthy area there would have been better action quicker.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »
On 2005-09-01 19:07:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I am so sad by the lack of aid from our government. They want to stop looting... Feed them!!! Our government doesn't care about the poor and the blacks and the old. If this were a wealthy area there would have been better action quicker."

I'm watching Prime Time live right now and they showed Bush saying he has a zero tolerance policy for looting even when Diane Sawyer said a woman was stealing shoes because her feet were cut up. I can't wait until he's out of office! I won't be surprised if Jeb will have a spin at president sometime down the road either. I'm sickened.

I get paid tomorrow and have been online for hours trying to figure out the best organization to give money to that will directly help people. I looked on the Red Cross site and there is a way to donate to the hurricane relief fund, but the money can also be used for other emergencies. I want 100% of my money going to the people on the gulf. So far the Salvation Army is looking like the best place.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge with a trustworthy organization that will give 100% of the donations to the people that need it?
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
I saw the interview this morning too and was pissed off as Bush condescendingly defended his ZERO TOLERANCE/NO LOOTING, I DONT CARE IF YOU HAVE NO SHOES OR NO FOOD policy, because HELP IS ON THE WAY....I've been pissed about that remark all day.....So, MR. President, you expect people to starve, walk w/o shoes even with all the contaminated water, broken glass, even if it means dying in the name of obeying the law????Apparantly our president has not one iota of common sense, nor compassion....

I cant believe Bush did not make a distinction between the criminal looters, who are clearly taking advantage of the situation and SHOULD be condemned, and those who are merely desperate and are just trying to survive and RIGHTLY so....there is a BIG difference!

Anyway...I'm trying to think of what to do to help...I can't stand sitting here in my comfy home and feeling helpless.....I thought of driving there myself to give people that are walking a ride out of there but since I have a small car and wouldnt know where to find those walking along the roads....I'm going to donate money to the Red Cross instead....I worry about whether the money will go to this disaster or to a different one...but you know what...when it comes to the Red Cross...there is no other charitable organization I trust more....so Red Cross it is...

Its so hard to watch so many people suffer at the hands of mother nature, at the hands of our inept govt., and at the hands of the rampant criminals taking advantage of the chaos... :sad:
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 11:23:00 PM »
I want to know where this help is because there sure doesn't appear to be any at that arena. There is no reason why it should take 4 days to bring people water, food, and medicine in this country.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »
I agree....what's taking so damn long???? Every day people stay in NO without food, water, medicine, etc....the worse its going to get....more death, more violence, more suffering...

That was my question to Mr BUSH after those remarks too...WHAT HELP?????
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »
Salvation army. Not the red cross. Trust me on this one, red cross is much more corrupt, using the money for all kinds of things unrelated to the disaster you give to. Salvation army was the first on the scene handing out food and water, and don't spend the money on huge salaries and remodeling their offices.  :tup:

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 12:00:00 AM »
On 2005-09-01 20:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Salvation army. Not the red cross. Trust me on this one, red cross is much more corrupt, using the money for all kinds of things unrelated to the disaster you give to. Salvation army was the first on the scene handing out food and water, and don't spend the money on huge salaries and remodeling their offices.  :tup: "

Yeah I felt queasy when I thought about the Red Cross and how the director was said to me making something like $386,000 a year (don't remember exact # but it was over $300,000).

My family ran into some problems when living down in Mobile and the SA were very helpful down there in Alabama.

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 12:05:00 AM »
Hmmmm, you have a point, especially about overhead costs, etc...so here's a question..Is the Salvation Army strictly volunteers? I guess I'm thinking that every charity is going to have some unavoidable costs....sometimes excessive and unnecessary I'm sure...so how do I know which charity has the least amount of overhead...therefore giving me some assurance more of my money actually goes to victims?

Here's just a question...the Red Cross is corrupt?? I guess my image of it was one charity that always responds to disasters quickly...Is my perception wrong?

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »
How much per year????  Ok I'm having a lot of thoughts about how over 300K could be very helpful to many displaced NO residents right now.

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 01:02:00 AM »
On 2005-09-01 21:05:00, Nonconformistlaw wrote:

"Hmmmm, you have a point, especially about overhead costs, etc...so here's a question..Is the Salvation Army strictly volunteers? I guess I'm thinking that every charity is going to have some unavoidable costs....sometimes excessive and unnecessary I'm sure...so how do I know which charity has the least amount of overhead...therefore giving me some assurance more of my money actually goes to victims?

Here's just a question...the Red Cross is corrupt?? I guess my image of it was one charity that always responds to disasters quickly...Is my perception wrong?"

When you make a donation somewhere you can specify how you want your money to be spent. The organization is supposed to honor that. However, when I looked at the Red Cross site they had other stuff tagged onto the huricane fund.

Many nonprofits will list their expenditures on their websites but it's still hard to figure out how much they are paying for staff unless you get a hold of their tax statement. Guidestar might have some of that info as well.

I have heard from a friend in their church that the captains of each SA chapter are not paid. They live in a meager home and have a meager car and the church provides for basic living necessities. If they are transfered to another chapter they leave everything behind.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 01:27:00 AM »
Yah, FUCK BUSH and his whole Dynasty. I hope people wake up, how can we spend hundreds of billions on the War in Iraq, when people in this country are walking, starving, and dying of thirst. END THE WAR NOW. Send the troops home. Put our money and resources to helping people instead of blowing them up.

Oh yeah, what the fuck is up with gas prices? Is that not just a big fat lie to make the oil companies a profit? Is there not vast amounts of oil and gas in storage, so any possible "shortage" because a few oil wells off the coast were shut down for a few days is a big fat lie? Anyone know? I haven't looked into this yet.

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 01:30:00 AM »
how do I know which charity has the least amount of overhead...therefore giving me some assurance more of my money actually goes to victims?

Truth is, you don't know! So why not donate to an organization like SIBS? At least you know that if the $$ doesn't go the hurricane victims it will support the noble cause of helping people to GET STRAIGHT. :tup:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »
Bullshit, Fucktard! You know damned well that most of the money would be spent on your next session with that Chinese hooker of yours! :lol:

Offline Dr. Miller Newton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 01:39:00 AM »
This vile slander against my esteemed collegue will NOT be tolerated! Dr. Fucktard is a reputable clinician...this is an OUTRAGE. :flame:
Teenage Drug Use Is A Disease

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2005, 01:41:00 AM »
On 2005-09-01 22:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Yah, FUCK BUSH and his whole Dynasty. I hope people wake up, how can we spend hundreds of billions on the War in Iraq, when people in this country are walking, starving, and dying of thirst. END THE WAR NOW. Send the troops home. Put our money and resources to helping people instead of blowing them up.

Oh yeah, what the fuck is up with gas prices? Is that not just a big fat lie to make the oil companies a profit? Is there not vast amounts of oil and gas in storage, so any possible "shortage" because a few oil wells off the coast were shut down for a few days is a big fat lie? Anyone know? I haven't looked into this yet."

The sad irony in all of this is that yes we will have plenty of oil as long as our govt keeps endorsing the war in Iraq. Meaning the more people they wipe out the greater abilty we will have to use their oil.