Author Topic: Uncomfortably numb  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Uncomfortably numb
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
NCL, you're certainly not alone in that weird memory block thing. A lot of us have the same sort of blanks. I don't think I can remember 2 days worth of experience out of the two years I was in. Was just talking w/ an old friend from those days and she told me about something that happened at Fame Haven (local group home). Not only do I not remember the incident, I don't even remember her having been there at all.

I don't know exactly why this is. But I have some ideas. I intentionally turned my mind off; checked my identity at the door. My strategy was to just put on a good enough act till I could split, graduate or come of age. I just did't realize that, in the process, it would really damage me in the long term. And I didn't realize the harm I was so adeptly doing to others. But I think that's got a lot to do w/ our failing memories. But who knows, maybe some day some dedicated shrinks will figure it out. Mean time, it just is what it is.

One has to multiply thoughts to the point where there aren't enough
policemen to control them

--Stanislaw Lec

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Uncomfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2005, 07:31:00 PM »
On 2005-09-13 13:45:00, Antigen wrote:

"NCL, you're certainly not alone in that weird memory block thing. A lot of us have the same sort of blanks. I don't think I can remember 2 days worth of experience out of the two years I was in. Was just talking w/ an old friend from those days and she told me about something that happened at Fame Haven (local group home). Not only do I not remember the incident, I don't even remember her having been there at all.

I don't know exactly why this is. But I have some ideas. I intentionally turned my mind off; checked my identity at the door. My strategy was to just put on a good enough act till I could split, graduate or come of age. I just did't realize that, in the process, it would really damage me in the long term. And I didn't realize the harm I was so adeptly doing to others. But I think that's got a lot to do w/ our failing memories. But who knows, maybe some day some dedicated shrinks will figure it out. Mean time, it just is what it is.

In my case, I didn?t intentionally turn my mind off, that I was aware of anyway, until after straight. While in straight, I remember the first few weeks of confusion, but after that its mostly a blank, with only a few incidents standing out. Yeah, it does seems like we all have this problem with a blank memory to varying extents.

But what bothers me most about this, is that it almost seems like I wasn?t there at all sometimes...because of the void. Maybe a kind of dissociation? Like unconsciously removing myself and "checking out" while in straight, I guess. I struggle to explain and understand it. And maybe it bothers me too much...I just cant seem to deal with a huge void in my memory----its very unsettling. But yeah, your right..it is what it is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell