Author Topic: Carlbrook  (Read 511758 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1440 on: December 04, 2006, 10:44:42 AM »
Quote from: ""CBButterflyDA""
...... FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO SPEND YOUR TIME DOING BECAUSE I'M SICK OF HEARING FROM PEOPLE WHO FRANKLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!

If you don't like what's being said here, no one is making you stay.  It's pretty rude to come onto someone else's message board and start telling them what they can and can't talk about.

AND STOP YELLING AT US!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Carlbrook
« Reply #1441 on: December 04, 2006, 10:51:52 AM »
I highly HIGHLY recommend Carlbrook for kids ages 15-18 who just seem lost in the world. Either they have been hurting themselves, have no social decency, don't listen to their parents, or just don't seem to be happy with anything that is given to them.

Sounds like they spent 19 months training a marketing associate.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: December 04, 2006, 11:45:47 AM »
I would just like to say that, despite any awful things that anyone has to say about the Carlbrook School, THEY HAVE NOT BEEN THERE. They may have had kids that went there, or friends with kids that went there- but THEY may not have experienced it THEMSELVES!

This guy has......

Quote from: ""Kiwifella""
Just wanted to throw in my two cents worth here. I know I'm posting at the end of a very...mature...thread, so this may not be read, but I attended Carlbrook through the first four workshops (or LGAT regression/brainwashing sessions, depending on whether or not you're willing to call a spade a spade).
   I became so overwhelmed with anxiety due to my failure to internalise the drop-to-my-knees-and-wail-in-misery-for-my-abused-inner-child manner of emotional expression that I decided that the best course of action would be to go under the wire; I was sick of getting belittled and screamed at and betrayed in group "therapy" for my inability to cry in front of a room full of people. I left one morning, to join the Marine Corps. It didn't work, partly because you have to have a highschool diploma to qualify to have your legs blown off for Uncle Sam, partly because one of the staff there intercepted me and gave me some puppy-dog eyes and promised me the world of forgiveness.
   A bit more railing and a "program"- in which one is isolated (via a system of communication "bans", breaking of which is met with bans and forced, high-exertion labour for the non-program party and more group "therapy" for the programmee), removed from academia, confined to a desk and forced to churn out a series of written epiphanies about why one is the way one is- later and I decided I'd rather face a tent in the snow and bean-and-rice dinners than get bent over for the rest of my internment at Carlbrook. Handy, really, because the staff had already decided to renege on their promise of not moving back my emancipation date or sending me back to the woods (the typical punishment for leaving the program, though we did receive frequent warnings about the much-worse programs that existed in the real world and how LUCKY we were that our parents sent us to Carlbrook).
   To cut a long story short, I definitely felt as if I had been driven to breaking point by that program, despite having been given the cushiest roles and leadership perks that the place had to offer. I'm pretty sure my psyche is still healing from that whole experience. That said, since then I've been in places that made me dream of being at Carlbrook; there was a warm bed, hot and decent food, and plenty of people to get close to. Funny though, cause I never really freaked out anywhere that I didn't have people trying to deconstruct my ego and tamper with my essence as a human.
   Anyway, I did get my highschool diploma, and decided I liked my legs more than I liked...well, I don't even LIKE the government, so God knows why I wanted to go fight for it, and now I'm in college in New Zealand. I might be damaged, but I ain't broke.
   For anyone who was there when I bailed, I do have a really soft spot for all of you, and I'm sorry about how I left. My B.
   Sturge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1443 on: December 04, 2006, 12:03:03 PM »
So has this guy.....

Dear Mr. Woodbury,

I know you are probably very busy, but I just wanted to take the time to tell you how thankful I am for the type of work you do- it saved my life. My name is Rico Moreno and I am from Phoenix, Arizona. Like many other teenagers that you work with, I was not on a good path, confused, and out of control. My parents started seeing Miriam Bodin in Northern California, and I was sent to the Second Nature Wilderness Program in Utah. After working with Dr. Matt Hoig there, I went to the Carlbrook School in Southern Virginia and graduated this past May 2005. As I said earlier, the eighteen months I spent there saved my life. I just want to say that Carlbrook is a very special place to me, and I hope it keeps running for a long time- I read on your website that Cedu closed down, and I hope that that never will happen to Carlbrook. While I was at Carlbrook I got to work with so many awesome adults such as Tim Brace, Jonathan Gurney, Matthew Lovell, Robert Somers, and so many awesome other people. I just wanted to write you a note because when I visited your website, I can see that you care about so many kids, and I respect what you do a lot. Thank you for your time, and thank you for caring about us teenagers so much.

Sincerely,

Rico A. Moreno

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1444 on: December 04, 2006, 12:10:13 PM »
So you're saying that Mr. Moreno benefitted from the type of "treatment" and "therapy" that is described by Kiwifella?  You're an 'end justifies the means' kinda guy, I take it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1445 on: December 04, 2006, 12:31:38 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
So has this guy.....

Dear Mr. Woodbury,

I know you are probably very busy, but I just wanted to take the time to tell you how thankful I am for the type of work you do- it saved my life. My name is Rico Moreno and I am from Phoenix, Arizona. Like many other teenagers that you work with, I was not on a good path, confused, and out of control. My parents started seeing Miriam Bodin in Northern California, and I was sent to the Second Nature Wilderness Program in Utah. After working with Dr. Matt Hoig there, I went to the Carlbrook School in Southern Virginia and graduated this past May 2005. As I said earlier, the eighteen months I spent there saved my life. I just want to say that Carlbrook is a very special place to me, and I hope it keeps running for a long time- I read on your website that Cedu closed down, and I hope that that never will happen to Carlbrook. While I was at Carlbrook I got to work with so many awesome adults such as Tim Brace, Jonathan Gurney, Matthew Lovell, Robert Somers, and so many awesome other people. I just wanted to write you a note because when I visited your website, I can see that you care about so many kids, and I respect what you do a lot. Thank you for your time, and thank you for caring about us teenagers so much.

Sincerely,

Rico A. Moreno

The connections between all these places is just plain creepy.  One gets shut down, another with the same staff opens up in its place.  Same thing happened with Straight.  They're just learing how to dress it up and make it look nicer, but it's virtually the same shit that was going on 20 years ago.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?mo ... t=45&Sort=

Search around for RMA, CEDU, Tim Brace, Carlbrook, Aspen and you'll see how incestuous it all is.  Sort of like the Catholics.  A priest  rapes little boys and he gets moved around from parish to parish.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1446 on: December 04, 2006, 12:41:44 PM »
Quote from: Guest

Yes, we are hearing from people who have been in this program, but who have only been out of this program maybe a few months to a year, so they have very little perspective. I'm seeing dates ranging from 2005 to 2004. Nothing earlier. (And if I start hearing from oldies only after this post, now that I have mentioned it, it will seem suspicious, too.)

haha I find this very funny seeing as how the school only started in 2002 and the first graduating class was in May 2003..... its not strange that people responding are saying they graduated in 2004...... do your research before you start accusing people- your the ignorant one
and to those who doubt EVERYONE who has said positive things about Carlbrook- it REALLY is the kind of thing that you have to experience to understand...... Stop talking like you all know ANYTHING about what it's like......
- Carlbrook Grad '04

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1447 on: December 04, 2006, 12:45:42 PM »
Stop talking like you all know ANYTHING about what it's like......
- Carlbrook Grad '04

Carlbrook Grad, is this anything like what you experienced in Carlbrook?

Kiwifella wrote:
Just wanted to throw in my two cents worth here. I know I'm posting at the end of a very...mature...thread, so this may not be read, but I attended Carlbrook through the first four workshops (or LGAT regression/brainwashing sessions, depending on whether or not you're willing to call a spade a spade).
I became so overwhelmed with anxiety due to my failure to internalise the drop-to-my-knees-and-wail-in-misery-for-my-abused-inner-child manner of emotional expression that I decided that the best course of action would be to go under the wire; I was sick of getting belittled and screamed at and betrayed in group "therapy" for my inability to cry in front of a room full of people. I left one morning, to join the Marine Corps. It didn't work, partly because you have to have a highschool diploma to qualify to have your legs blown off for Uncle Sam, partly because one of the staff there intercepted me and gave me some puppy-dog eyes and promised me the world of forgiveness.
A bit more railing and a "program"- in which one is isolated (via a system of communication "bans", breaking of which is met with bans and forced, high-exertion labour for the non-program party and more group "therapy" for the programmee), removed from academia, confined to a desk and forced to churn out a series of written epiphanies about why one is the way one is- later and I decided I'd rather face a tent in the snow and bean-and-rice dinners than get bent over for the rest of my internment at Carlbrook. Handy, really, because the staff had already decided to renege on their promise of not moving back my emancipation date or sending me back to the woods (the typical punishment for leaving the program, though we did receive frequent warnings about the much-worse programs that existed in the real world and how LUCKY we were that our parents sent us to Carlbrook).
To cut a long story short, I definitely felt as if I had been driven to breaking point by that program, despite having been given the cushiest roles and leadership perks that the place had to offer. I'm pretty sure my psyche is still healing from that whole experience. That said, since then I've been in places that made me dream of being at Carlbrook; there was a warm bed, hot and decent food, and plenty of people to get close to. Funny though, cause I never really freaked out anywhere that I didn't have people trying to deconstruct my ego and tamper with my essence as a human.
Anyway, I did get my highschool diploma, and decided I liked my legs more than I liked...well, I don't even LIKE the government, so God knows why I wanted to go fight for it, and now I'm in college in New Zealand. I might be damaged, but I ain't broke.
For anyone who was there when I bailed, I do have a really soft spot for all of you, and I'm sorry about how I left. My B.
Sturge

Offline CBButterflyDA

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1448 on: December 04, 2006, 12:46:05 PM »
So you're saying that Mr. Moreno benefitted from the type of "treatment" and "therapy" that is described by Kiwifella?  You're an 'end justifies the means' kinda guy, I take it.

I Know both "Mr. Moreno" and "Kiwifella" very personally and I find it offensive that you would use their testimonies in any kind of arguement about how Carlbrook is a negative environment. Yes, B.S. (Kiwifella) didn't finish the program, but I happen to have been through a lot with him while we were there, as well has Rico. Stop fighting cuz you don't have any good arguements

Offline CBButterflyDA

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1449 on: December 04, 2006, 12:50:00 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Stop talking like you all know ANYTHING about what it's like......
- Carlbrook Grad '04

Carlbrook Grad, is this anything like what you experienced in Carlbrook?

I just don't understand why you care?? Why are you getting involved? And the reason I care is because Carlbrook was- and still is- a HUGE part of my life and a large reason why I am so happy with myself.... I take personal offense to people bashing it! I think thats pretty understandable!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1450 on: December 04, 2006, 12:56:18 PM »

I Know both "Mr. Moreno" and "Kiwifella" very personally and I find it offensive that you would use their testimonies in any kind of arguement about how Carlbrook is a negative environment. Yes, B.S. (Kiwifella) didn't finish the program, but I happen to have been through a lot with him while we were there, as well has Rico. Stop fighting cuz you don't have any good arguements

Well, I'm sorry you find it offensive.  They posted on a public message board.  Am I not allowed to respond and ask questions?  Have you ever been on a message board before?  That's how they work ya know.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1451 on: December 04, 2006, 12:57:13 PM »
I just don't understand why you care?? Why are you getting involved? And the reason I care is because Carlbrook was- and still is- a HUGE part of my life and a large reason why I am so happy with myself.... I take personal offense to people bashing it! I think thats pretty understandable!!!

I care because I care about teenagers in general and am concerned about this bogus and dangerous industry.  I've been on this board for quite a few years now and I take personal offense to people coming here and telling me what to do or say.

Offline CBButterflyDA

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1452 on: December 04, 2006, 01:01:18 PM »
I care because I care about teenagers in general and am concerned about this bogus and dangerous industry.  I've been on this board for quite a few years now and I take personal offense to people coming here and telling me what to do or say.

If you cared about teenagers you would look deeper than the surface of this "dangerous industry" and see that it is very beneficial. Do you have teenagers? Cuz if you don't thats a little creepy...... however, yes of course I respect your opinion by you need to clarify that it is JUST that: your OPINION.... when people look at your words and believe them to be true- thought you have not experienced Carlbrook yourself- it creates a bad vibe around a school that HELPS TEENS!!!! If you cared, then you would think twice about what you say......

Offline CBButterflyDA

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 04, 2006, 01:05:19 PM »
I highly HIGHLY recommend Carlbrook for kids ages 15-18 who just seem lost in the world. Either they have been hurting themselves, have no social decency, don't listen to their parents, or just don't seem to be happy with anything that is given to them.

Sounds like they spent 19 months training a marketing associate.

OK now it has gone from offending something that I hold very dear to me, to personally offending me! Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?? You don't know me and to say that I was "trained" to market Carlbrook is just FUCKED UP. Look at your motivations for posting what you say because you have a very skewed way of looking at the world.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Carlbrook
« Reply #1454 on: December 04, 2006, 01:11:18 PM »

If you cared about teenagers you would look deeper than the surface of this "dangerous industry" and see that it is very beneficial. Do you have teenagers? Cuz if you don't thats a little creepy...... however, yes of course I respect your opinion by I want you to clarify that it is JUST that: your OPINION.... when people look at your words and believe them to be true- thought you have not experienced Carlbrook yourself- it creates a bad vibe around a school that HELPS TEENS!!!! If you cared, then you would think twice about what you say......

I've thought twice and three and four and five times about what I say.  I'm the parent of two grown kids and I went through a teen program when I was a teenager.  I'm not just talking out of my ass here darlin'.  Yes, these are my opinions, just as what you say is your opinion.  You believe it helped you, others believe it's dangerous.  Again, that's the whole point of a message board....to discuss issues.  If you're not interested in discussing them, why are you here?  You can't expect to come on here and say "Carlbrook's great, it saved my life" and no one to question or respond to you.