Author Topic: 'Brat Camp' not an easy decision  (Read 9120 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
'Brat Camp' not an easy decision
« on: July 27, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/ ... 6006.shtml

Web-posted Jul 26, 2005

By DAVE GROVES
Of The Oakland Press

Some Oakland County residents familiar with troubled teens say fans of ABC's new reality television show "Brat Camp" may not get a full appreciation of how difficult intervention decisions can be.

The show follows a number of teens enrolled in a highly structured, emotionally supportive wilderness camp that offers individual and group therapy.

Elizabeth Gordon, a Bloomfield Hills-based psychologist and educational consultant who has researched hundreds of similar camps and schools across the country, said parents who seek these interventions often endure tremendous stress and frustration first.

"I'm usually not their first stop," she said. "I'm usually the last stop - the one parents make when they're at their wits' end."

Many families employ counselors, church interventions and social service programs only to see their troubled teens continue to act out at home, get in trouble at school and sometimes even encounter legal problems.

At the same time, limited awareness of intervention programs, strained financial resources and difficult emotional issues stand in the way of parents finding help for their children.

"Most feel like failures," said Diane Kimber, president of the Bloomfield Hills-based Spirit Foundation, which assists parents seeking help.

"People don't like to tell those awful secrets for fear people will think less of them. What they don't know is that this is far more common than they imagine."

Commerce Township resident Nancy Stachecki decided to send her son, Robert, to a therapeutic intervention program three years ago after he became belligerent, disrespectful and confrontational. His attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder contributed to behavior issues that resulted in disciplinary action at school.

"You need to realize that you have not failed as a parent, because you cannot change anybody else," Stachecki said. "They've got to want to change themselves."

She and other parents have realized that they can support their children by placing them in programs designed to foster a desire to change. Discovering where to send a child, however, is a complicated decision.

Stachecki said she sent her son to schools in South Carolina and Utah before learning that she was misled about a lack of qualified therapists and a non-supportive environment that also neglected Robert's educational needs.

"It was, basically, like a prison," she said of one school.

Gordon said that while there is a gamut of quality programs designed to meet the needs and interests of all kinds of students, there are also options that can actually be detrimental to children.

"Don't just surf the Web to find something, because there are programs out there that are not good programs, but have a lot of marketing dollars," she said.

With Gordon's help, Stachecki said she found a highly supportive, effective program that is helping her son flourish. With hopes of eventually becoming a sports journalist or a lawyer, Robert plans to attend a college preparatory boarding school in the fall.

Intervention programs such as the one Stachecki employed can cost thousands of dollars per month, though she said she has obtained financial aid and education loans to help offset tuition.

Kimber, who also put a child through a costly intervention program, said, "I looked at it like, 'If this was cancer, I would spend my last nickel to save my child's life.' Really, this is no different."

Both Gordon and Kimber said any parent growing frustrated with an inability to address prolonged emotional or behavioral problems can benefit from exploring intervention programs. The longer parents wait, in fact, the less hope they may have to help children approaching the independence legal adulthood brings.

"They really need to make a decision pretty quickly as to what the extent of the intervention is going to be, because it is going to end when the child turns 18," Kimber said.

"Stachecki said she sent her son to schools in South Carolina and Utah before learning that she was misled about a lack of qualified therapists and a non-supportive environment that also neglected Robert's educational needs."

I think we can guess which "schools" those were.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »
whats your point? Anyone can post anothers work, now tell us what you think about it.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
On 2005-07-27 12:05:00, OverLordd wrote:

---snip---
now tell us what you think about it.

You mean like you just did ?  :wstupid:

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »
I did not post it up, so I dont have to analyize it. Poster analyzes it and We discuss their analyization.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »
"analyization" = analysis.

But... sure, you can guess. But you may well be wrong. How emotionally supportive is it to show these kids w/ title grphics like "pathological liar" or "intolerable brat"? How emotionally supportive is it to work these kids on a starvation diet and limited sleep and then pressure them to discuss sensitive, personal issues like rape in front of all those strangers?

It's hard to imagine these people are even watching the same show I was. And I'd be very interested to hear from some of the kids who have received "help" on Elizabeth Gordon's recomendation.

It's obnoxious to ask law enforcement to follow the law. That's insulting to every cop.

--John Lovell, lobbyist for the California police chief's association

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 04:25:00 PM »
No my dear, they do not have to do that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »
nevermind, i'm smokin weed and i'm on the wrong thread.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 05:52:00 PM »
So far I haven't watched this program - it shouldn't be on the air. It is disgusting that the networks are now exploiting children with emotional, home and behavior problems. The parents who allow this exploitation are worse than the networks. How can they expose their children's lives to the whole country. This is so outrageous.

Give me the youth, and Germany will rule the world.
--Hitler

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 10:26:00 AM »
I don't understand why ANYONE goes on "reality tv".
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »
usually, exhibitionism.   Old Andy said everyone would have their fifteen minutes of fame.  With the growing population, I guess reality TV just came as a necessity in order to account for all those people who couldn't get recognition for any sort of accomplishment other than the ability to overcome camera-shyness.  The whole reality-TV industry seems to be based on exhibitionism/voyeurism.   It's a meat market really. Producers love it because it saves them loads of money not having to hire writers, actors, or set designers.  All they need is a group of talentless bodies and any sort of situation that presses people for a reaction.  It's sad because in the case of these kids, they don't have a choice.  They are being exploited.

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 08:29:00 PM »
By the way, can I just point out that Jada is NOT a pathological liar, please?  Lying so that you do not get in trouble is regular lying.  Lying for no reason at all is pathological lying.  That irritates the crap out of me.

On 2005-07-27 13:25:00, Antigen wrote:

""analyization" = analysis.

But... sure, you can guess. But you may well be wrong. How emotionally supportive is it to show these kids w/ title grphics like "pathological liar" or "intolerable brat"? How emotionally supportive is it to work these kids on a starvation diet and limited sleep and then pressure them to discuss sensitive, personal issues like rape in front of all those strangers?

It's hard to imagine these people are even watching the same show I was. And I'd be very interested to hear from some of the kids who have received "help" on Elizabeth Gordon's recomendation.

It's obnoxious to ask law enforcement to follow the law. That's insulting to every cop.

--John Lovell, lobbyist for the California police chief's association

"
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »
On 2005-07-27 14:52:00, cherish wisdom wrote:

"So far I haven't watched this program - it shouldn't be on the air. It is disgusting that the networks are now exploiting children with emotional, home and behavior problems. The parents who allow this exploitation are worse than the networks. How can they expose their children's lives to the whole country. This is so outrageous.

Give me the youth, and Germany will rule the world.
--Hitler

"

The parents probably got to send their kid for free...?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 08:56:00 PM »
I think some of those parents were desperate. If you don't have a minimum of $30,000 to spend on such a thing, I have to assume, that they would rather have their child on television for all to see, as opposed to losing their child forever.
I sent my child to one of these programs. We were all very happy with our decision. Our school system paid for half, and I am fortunate enough to have wealthy parents who loaned me the rest,(which I just PAID OFF TODAY!)Wu Hu!!!!
On the flip side, some of those parents are clueless! One family said, "We give our daughter money and she always buys drugs." Duuuh! STOP giving the girl money!
My point, some people truly do not have the funds and did what they felt they had to. Others are just stupid and would rather have a bank account and show of their kid.
 Mabe they feel that if everyone knows what is going on, the kids will have more support when they return home. Who knows, just a thought.
If I had no way to pay for such a program, I too may have taken the bait. I'm greatful I was never in that position.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 09:51:00 PM »
These don't look like impoverished parents to me.

To say the drug war is a failure is like saying the Hindenburg was short a few fire extinguishers.
http://mapinc.org/drugnews/v01/n808/a10.html' target='_new'>Carl Hiassen

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »
I might be wrong - but *if* I recall correctly - the parents didn't have to pay for the Brat Camp experaince. ABC paid for these kids.
I'll ask my friend who talked to the producer and see if she recalls for sure - but I do think that was the "bait" to take part in the TV version.