Author Topic: 'Brat Camp' not an easy decision  (Read 9114 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
'Brat Camp' not an easy decision
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
Yeh, or don't go.

That story reminded me of my neice. Brilliant, never studied, Aced test, Straight A student.

She didn't graduate or get a diploma.

She refused to attend summer school because she had missed two, too many days of school. It was principle.

There's a real problem when rules are black and white and there's zero tolerance. And the system's agenda is to condition good workers, not educate. She had obviously mastered the material.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »
Find out what she wants to do and see what kind of education at college is necessary to do it.

Im motivated but dunno what to go forward with. Hell, I have trouble right now picking what to do! My interests are pretty varied... high end theoretical physics (well, gonna have to take a TON of algebra... high end physics is basically all algebra, chew on that for a while) or engineering becuase I love modifying and racing cars... MORE MATH... or computer/network type jobs... more math! (Unless I end up being a driver, in which case I basically just gotta master drinking as much water as I weat out in a nomex suit while strapped into a GT car grinning ear to ear)

Ok, so.... I know I gotta take math. But I also need a specialaized degree to do whatever. Hell, as much as I know about math now I could do tech support, build computers, and physically set up networks. Also, the 'home visit' type of stuff I could do... I could do it YEARS ago. but I need some stupid 2 year degree that says "I CAN DO THIS :rofl:

The whole system is just a joke man. Stuff I know I can do I cant, and its so unclear about what direction to take into the future... and people wonder why kids dont think about their future a lot. They go "GET A DEGREE" and youre stuck wondering WHICH Degree. Plus I see people with college degrees living hand to mouth all the time. Its very discourgaging.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
--Bruce Lee

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »
I don't think a college degree is a guarantee to success these days.

I have friends who graduated from a prestigious college, while I only have a few years at a community school. We pretty much all have comparable jobs. We all have decided we want to start a business anyways, who wants a job for their entire life?

Nobody asks for a degree when you start your business. Doh! lol What a waste of money!

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2005, 06:43:00 PM »
Magnet programs, that is, shuffling the kids around so theyre not in neighborhood schools and all mixed up to make each school racially and test-score equitable, are a joke. They enver addressed the actual problems, oh no, they just shuffled in some brainey kids (almost always white or asian... I wish I was stereotyping but in my case Im not) to a shitty inner city school.

The neighborhood kids there got NOTHING. Their parents rightfuly protested how we had all this nice  shit and they had nothing. We had a new wing of the school, they had the decrepid old parts. WHAT a joke!

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
-- Emo Phillips

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2005, 10:38:00 PM »
"Brat Camp participant Nick was sent because he'd been teased about his Dyslexia until he was exhibiting frustration and anger. Who's going to see to it that he gets the help he should have gotten a long time ago? Behavior Modification is also not the solution to learning disabilities."

On the show, Nick confessed that his brother was one his primary teasers; that his brother calls him 'stupid.' Maybe they sent the wrong brother to camp?

Seriously, no one should be sent. It was just a thought.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »
Great point. Although I agree, neither should be sent, the brother seems to be the one with the 'issues'. And why did the mother allow this?
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2005, 04:54:00 AM »
On 2005-08-02 19:55:00, Deborah wrote:

"

Great point. Although I agree, neither should be sent, the brother seems to be the one with the 'issues'. And why did the mother allow this?"

Send her too.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2005, 09:43:00 AM »
Even in "rich upperclass white areas", the public school education is a failure for many.  

This is because the classrooms are too crowded, the teachers are overworked and underpaid, and probably understimulated (how much flexibility do the states give them in creating their lesson plans?  I'm not really sure).  The kids are herded around and treated like animals.  Add on the schools' "zero tolerance" for...ANYTHING policy.  

My best girlfriend was in GT/AP classes (at public school) and in 12th grade, she skipped a lot of school (to go to the beach, amusement parks, ect...).  Due to poor attendence, her English teacher failed her, despite the fact that she had done all her assignments had like 90% grade in class.   She couldn't graduate w/ her class, and her parents were so upset, they refused to pay for her college.  She ended up moving out and living with her boyfriend, going to community college and having a baby a year or so later.  

Around the same time, I was at a private boarding school, where the teachers were old hippies or european or whatever, and our grades were based on the work we turned in, not on our attendence.  These teachers were rather progressive, and missing a few classes never tantamounted to much, unless you were skipping classes AND not handing in any work, in which case you might get one hour detention, to be served at your convenience, for one hour before the school day (pick a day, any day, get your breakfast bagel and coffee, go sign in at the library and spend an hour reading or talking or whatever)  I know some girls who never went to phys. ed. class AT ALL during some semesters, but still passed with a B.  (phys ed class could be horseback riding lessons, skiing, or weightlifting, the latter being the class said girl never went to.  Perhaps no one realized she was on the roster.  Who knows.  Anyway, she passed, despite being out shopping off-campus every after noon, when she was sopposed to be at wieght lifting.  

But in any event, at boarding school we were treated with respect. Staff took it easy on us and we took it easy on them.   And the classes were a lot smaller, and there was much flexibility in choosing your schedule, and many teachers lived on campus and we actually had one class period called "extra help", where you could go see any teacher;  if you didn't need "extra help", you could hang in your room, or to the smoking lounge or whatever.  

Actually, I kind of miss boarding school.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2005, 09:57:00 AM »
....and the classes were a lot smaller. Teaching or learning in larger classes (25-30) takes extra energy. And school is supposed to also teach you responsibility, how to get along with others, follow directions... kind of like a job. Which means having to be somewhere at a certain time. I taught school and its a pain in the butt having to repeat yourself for the students who blew the class off... sorry, Im just a stickler for punctuality. I now manage a restaurant and the quickest way to get fired is to NOT bother to call if youre going to be late or not show up.

And back to the subject.... some school districts get paid per student day. Number of enrolled students determines how much money school gets... but so does number of days said student shows up.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2005, 03:12:00 PM »
I think the show is great and so are the staff at the program!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »
Something is terribly wrong with the concept of a reality tv show that invades the privacy of children and calls it "entertainment".

Thankfully, as I hoped, even as BRAT CAMP continues to draw high ratings it has revived the controversy surrounding a treatment modality that by its very nature is inherently risky.

The backlash grows more vocal every day.  

Is ABC listening?

I seriously doubt it.  Why should they?  Like wilderness therapy camps, ABC is first and foremost in the business of making money.

Barbe
TAUSA

Offline Shortbus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »
Watching a program like this is difficult. I have a lot of sympathy for the nine students. The benefit of sensational programming is that it can be a  catalyst for change. For as many viewers that blindly stare at the screen and put Survivor, Fear Factor and Brat Camp in the same category (for lack of better examples), there are compassionate individuals that will use this opportunity to work to change the industry and educate parents.
ts never too late to procrastinate

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »
On 2005-08-03 12:12:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I think the show is great and so are the staff at the program!"

why?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2005, 09:55:00 PM »
You can see the kids finding themselves and it is very heart warming.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »
Im not sure how to take this post....