Author Topic: Sucess stories from Struggling Teens.com  (Read 24600 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Sucess stories from Struggling Teens.com
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »
VERY FEW programs are 2 months.. that's very short in fact. I was in for over a year, a lot of people here were in for 2-3 years or more.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline dougm

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
On 2005-07-26 07:29:00, Anonymous wrote:

"VERY FEW programs are 2 months.. that's very short in fact. I was in for over a year, a lot of people here were in for 2-3 years or more. "

Just drawing from personal experience, if you were expected to be heading to a boarding school after SW, you stayed about 28 days. If you were expected to go back home after SW, minimum stay is 45 days but with most going home after 50-60 days.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2005, 12:35:00 PM »
On 2005-07-25 20:01:00, dougm wrote:

"Break the kid's spirit? Most of the kids that left during my program had much more confidence in themselves before they arrived."

How did you feel?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #168 on: July 26, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »
On 2005-07-25 20:15:00, The Liger wrote:

"Not all parents have bad intentions when sending their kids to wilderness therapy.  In fact, most have good intentions.  It's just that they buy into a bunch of false promises and quick fixes rather than work things out the old-fashioned way.

That's so. And I think the primary false premis is that, if there exists conflict between a kid and the authorities set up over them, the kid is wrong... always, no doubt about it.

Anybody w/ kids in elementary school ever hear of a game called "quiet mouse?" Here's how my 8yo described it to me. Teacher picks the first kid who is the quietest mouse in the room. That kid stands at the front of the class, scrutinizing his classmates and selects the "quitest mouse", who then does the same. They do this over and over and over and over again. The kids have no idea how long this will go on. It seems to depend on how angry and how vindictive the teacher is.

And you thought they were learning readin, 'ritin and 'rithmatic? That's just one example. My kid has already been ruined for school. She knows it fucked up. She also noted how fucked up it is that most of the other kids accept this sort of treatment as normal.

There's a good bit of discussion in education circles over the drastic change in attitude that comes over kids in 3rd, 4th or 5th grade (depending on the school district). It's funny to watch sometimes. The most sincerely altruistic among educators seem to be totally mystified. What in the world comes over kids to make them suddenly change from compliant, cooperative little moffits, eager to please their masters to the surly, resistant, subversives? What in the world could it be? Gee, I wonder....

:roll:

Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=circlofmiamithem&keyword=mark+twain&mode=books' target='_new'> Mark Twain

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #169 on: July 26, 2005, 06:56:00 PM »
If ye are really and truly so concerned about your children or your foster children please, please please get a second therapist's opinion regarding the situation with your children. I say this b/c some therapists are "paid off" as we have seen and "learned" over time to send these poor children to these abusive places. Some of these therapists, referral programs, teachers, guidance counselors get some form of "kickbacks" for referring kids and their parents or foster parents to Behaviour modification programs. That is a reality, so ye need to please rethink your own actions about your own decision making before making anymore decisions regarding the children. Think about it......be honest with yourselves about your own inadequecies and motives for the decisions that ye are making or have made or are about to make. If ye do that it will guide ye to the truth about what to do.
I do not recommend the teen help industry as a solution. Think about what the "roots" of the problem/problems may really be in reality not because of what "someone" has told you they are. Deal with the child as a human being. Deal with the children as in how you would want to be treated if it were yourself in the situation . If ye can find it in your heart to do these things truthfully then I feel that ye may have a chance to find and actually discover the solutions to your problems and the childrens.
The fact of the matter is this: Most parents mean well for the children and they are thinking that they are doing the right thing by these behaviour modification places. The parents most times mean well, but it blows up in their faces b/c these places are exploitiing children for partisan purpose of unknown origin to the parents and by the time the parents realize this fact, sadly it is too late, and there goes another childs spirit broken and lost. Forever hard to retrieve again for the adult child that still exsists inside of them when older and grown. Keep an open heart and an open mind, as life is never always just black and white, there tends to be a lot of gray that life dishes out, apparently and it is important to pay attention to the gray as well in order to make a proper and "right" decision.

Thanks for your time, and peace be with you!
take care,
-DP

Religion is all bunk.
--Thomas Edison, American inventor

"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2005, 10:30:00 PM »
Yep.  What did you think?

On 2005-07-25 23:01:00, bandit1978 wrote:

"Liger, you are from Kailua?  I spent 2 weeks in Kailua in June (my sister did her physical therapy internship there).  "
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2005, 08:44:00 AM »
Arent there 2 parts of Hawaii called Kailua?  I was in the town on Oahu- very small town, I couldn't find any organic lettuce or spinach, or anti-biotic free meat, so instead I ate 3 quarts of ice cream + 1 dozen cupcakes (over 2 weeks).  It was beautiful and surreal.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »
Liger- can you bring me my chapstick?
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »
That sucks because we have two health food stores in Kailua.  One of them is the size of a regular supermarket.  But you actually have to drive to Honolulu to get the organic meat.  I eat the same way, so I have faced the same dilemmas.  

On 2005-07-27 05:44:00, bandit1978 wrote:

"Arent there 2 parts of Hawaii called Kailua?  I was in the town on Oahu- very small town, I couldn't find any organic lettuce or spinach, or anti-biotic free meat, so instead I ate 3 quarts of ice cream + 1 dozen cupcakes (over 2 weeks).  It was beautiful and surreal.  "

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »
That was me.
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2005, 06:40:00 PM »
Ha ha...I'm glad you get it.

On 2005-07-27 05:49:00, bandit1978 wrote:

"Liger- can you bring me my chapstick?"