Author Topic: Safe Harbor  (Read 952 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Safe Harbor
« on: June 15, 2005, 02:05:00 AM »
I just noticed this post from you Deborah:

Paul, you said:
Safe Harbor is having a non medication conference
in June. I offered to get the folks at Safe Harbor going with the Mental Health Services Act for funding, but they where not interested. I tried ...
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... =40#102890

Safe Harbor was interested in the taxpayer approved fund for improving the mental health system in California. I spoke to the president and one of the board members. They declined furthur help when I let them know that only evidence based practices are to be funded. Apparently they did not have proof that their non-pharma solutions worked or they would have asked for money.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... 190#108648

Why would you "try? to set them up with MHSA funds if you knew the funds only go to ?evidence based practices?, or as Wendy understood, to ?government-run agencies??

How is "evidence based" defined? To your knowledge, is there any ?evidence based? alternative (non-drug) treatments, other than therapy?

I contacted Wendy at Safe Harbor and here is her response, which I post with her permission. As you will read, her understanding is that the funding had nothing to do with "evidence-based practices." :

Paul does not speak for Safe Harbor. He had suggested a possible funding source to myself and Dan Stradford, president of Safe Harbor. I personally checked out the government funding possibility; however, from what I found, it is only for government agencies, not private nonprofits like Safe Harbor. As the fundraiser for Safe Harbor, we of course, would love funding, but this idea suggested by Paul was a dead end unfortunately.

It has nothing to do with "evidence-based practices." (Paul never mentioned this to me personally. He simply sent me the URL's to check out.) This is government money for government-run agencies, which generally use drugs as a first practice. Safe Harbor is trying to change this of course, and move government agencies toward nondrug alternatives. There is some interest in the area, and we are continuing to push for nondrug treatments and practices.

For information about Safe Harbor, please check our Web site at AlternativeMentalHealth.com, contact me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Wendy Bolt
SAFE HARBOR
787 W. Woodbury Rd., #2
Altadena, CA 91001

---

I "tried" to set them up per a request from a mother, who is also a doctor who desperately wants
her son off of medications.

Dan said, oops, via email, stated he was interested.

I never dialogued, oops, emailed with Wendy, I don't know who she is.

I don't this she researched Prop 63, or she could not have made this statement:

"I personally checked out the government funding possibility; however, from what I found, it is only for government agencies, not private nonprofits like Safe Harbor."

If she, or Dan would have asked me, or anyone for a clarification for something they did not understand in the new California law there is plenty of availability to have it explained.

They didn't asked, they made an incorrect assumption and most likely the "evidence based" part of the law scared them off.

Deborah, how is it that you, the Scientologist, Safe Harbor and the other anti-psychiatry folks
are so turned off by "evidence based"?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
or those who don\'t understand my position, on all subjects:

* Understand the law and your rights.

* Make sure you have the freedom of choice.

* Seek and receive unbiased information and
know the source of information.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Safe Harbor
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 02:08:00 AM »
Wow, what a profound statement!

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Safe Harbor
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 02:15:00 AM »
There is no forced medication in the State of California in county mental health system's,
nor the prison systems.

In rare cases, only in involuntary treatment
situations, after a Reese Hearing is there
any "forced" medication.

All patients sign an informed consent document.
If they don't want meds, they don't receive any -
period! End of story.

---

If Wendy, or you Deborah, or any of the Anti-crowd
would do some actual activity like helping people,
attending meetings, and understanding the programs then you would know that the programs being discussed are "programs" not medical protocols.

Frankly, it is hard to spend time on this issue with you. There is so much content out there on
what evidence based practices are and the documentaion of medications and the protection of
consumers to make their own choices that if you
want to keep ignoring these facts, then you are
simply a useless gadfly!

Perhaps I will post my question once again, in a new topic ... has Deborah helped anyone at Fornits?