Author Topic: Will someone who went to Hyde please contact me right away  (Read 19752 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Will someone who went to Hyde please contact me right away
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2005, 02:40:00 AM »
On 2005-11-10 23:27:00, Anonymous wrote:

"What about the kids or parents who love to perform?  What good does this exercise do for them? Why would Hyde assume everyone hates to get up and sing in front of a crowd?

Another problem with the "one size fits all" program!"

Um, well, I don't think they presume everyone hates it, and if they are the one's who love it, it might not do them as much good but that's the gestalt.

Hyde (to my recollection) holds performing arts, sports, academics and public service all to be equally important.  The person who loves performing arts and can do it with ease, may have a much tougher time with sports, for instance, or academics, so their personal battle ground may not be to sing in front of everyone, but to perform on the soccer field or in the classroom.

For me that was a brilliant and revolutionary concept.  Sure, whatever, I drank the cool-aid and I am still by the container, but this rings true for me in my experience of myself and others in life.  There is a great chance that the natural vocalist will learn a lot more about themselves on the soccer field than they will singing, as that's where their character challenges are more likely to manifest.

It goes back to their founding philosphy that the people who slid by on some basic talent were often cheated in life because no one asked more out of them, no one presented them with obstacles where they had a better chance to learn about themselves than if they were allowed to just stay in their confort zone.

Call it psycho-babble from a cool-aide lover, but that's my take on it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2005, 08:14:00 AM »
On 2005-11-10 23:00:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-10 22:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-11-10 22:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

Anybody here notice how many anti-Hyde people here lie about pretending they just want to get something off their chest when really they are here to try and prevent other students from going to Hyde?  

Well shit. I would HOPE they'd want to prevent other kids from going through the same hell they did.  Damn, what kind of people would they be if they just allowed this shit to go on?   Here's to getting it all off your chest.   ::cheers:: "

All I'm saying is don't pretend you are all about getting it off your chest, when a very specific intention is to attack the school.  These are different things and would likely evoke different responses from the throngs of pro-Hyde people on this site.  "

I can't speak for others, but my personal motivation is not to attack Hyde per se.  My motivation is to ensure that anyone who considers Hyde is fully aware of all of the school's practices, including all of the legitimate criticisms posted on this website.  I call that living up to the ideals of truth, courage, and concern.  And aren't those Hyde's very words?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2005, 08:41:00 AM »
The Person Who Wrote About Performing Arts;

You are speaking about the students, and my question was about students and parents.  What is a parent getting out of performing on stage when in fact they love to do it?

The answer is, it is doing nothing for the parent who enjoys it and humiliating the hell out of the other parent who dreads it!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »

]

Anybody here notice how many anti-Hyde people here lie about pretending they just want to get something off their chest when really they are here to try and prevent other students from going to Hyde?  Their sarcasm, condescension and hypocracy are a perfect example of why Hyde-failures don't live in the real world.

Or were you just trying to bait me Lars?"

Buddy, you're a real class act.  Just a true piece of shit to accuse someone of lying who has been absolutely truthful about his own painful experiences AND his sincere desire to see that other parents don't put their kids through hell.  Go back to Bath - you truly belong there.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »
Last post was mine.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »
On 2005-11-11 05:41:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The Person Who Wrote About Performing Arts;

You are speaking about the students, and my question was about students and parents.  What is a parent getting out of performing on stage when in fact they love to do it?

The answer is, it is doing nothing for the parent who enjoys it and humiliating the hell out of the other parent who dreads it!"

The performing arts discussion was started by a student about a student experience.  When this is all anonymous with no names, its easy to get confused about which post responds to which, but the jist of my response was that I find it hard to believe any student gets through the gates without knowing they will be doing performing arts.  Its on the website, and its part of their daily discussion with everyone, as its integral to their system, as is mandatory participation in sports.

I see some real value in having parents taste what their children are doing, but don't need to debate that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »
On 2005-11-11 07:10:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

]

Anybody here notice how many anti-Hyde people here lie about pretending they just want to get something off their chest when really they are here to try and prevent other students from going to Hyde?  Their sarcasm, condescension and hypocracy are a perfect example of why Hyde-failures don't live in the real world.

Or were you just trying to bait me Lars?"

Buddy, you're a real class act.  Just a true piece of shit to accuse someone of lying who has been absolutely truthful about his own painful experiences AND his sincere desire to see that other parents don't put their kids through hell.  Go back to Bath - you truly belong there.

"

Lars, you accuesed me of baiting people when you just wanted to get something off your chest.  I have no issue with you getting stuff off your chest, but since I loved Hyde, I will take issue with your attempts to sway parents, and to provide a contrary opinion.  You in turn have responded with viturperative name calling and judgements.  (Something I am probably guily of as well.)

I would rather we just debate the issues, but you made a specific post NOT ABOUT your experience but about me and the pro-Hyde people.  If you don't like my response, that's your problem, but I will do my best to honestly represent the good and bad about Hyde and try my best (not always possible) to not make this personal.

That said, when people like Tom Allan who experience Hyde for six months and ran away three times become one of the dominant posters here, along with Antigen, then I will question all of you.  I don't know your facts, but I do know Tommy left long before he had the chance to get it....a small number leave Hyde like Tommy, and his posts are less than authorative.

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »
Lars, you accuesed me of baiting people when you just wanted to get something off your chest.  I have no issue with you getting stuff off your chest, but since I loved Hyde, I will take issue with your attempts to sway parents, and to provide a contrary opinion.  You in turn have responded with viturperative name calling and judgements.  (Something I am probably guily of as well.)

I would rather we just debate the issues, but you made a specific post NOT ABOUT your experience but about me and the pro-Hyde people.  If you don't like my response, that's your problem, but I will do my best to honestly represent the good and bad about Hyde and try my best (not always possible) to not make this personal.

That said, when people like Tom Allan who experience Hyde for six months and ran away three times become one of the dominant posters here, along with Antigen, then I will question all of you.  I don't know your facts, but I do know Tommy left long before he had the chance to get it....a small number leave Hyde like Tommy, and his posts are less than authorative."

People like myself get angry whem you bait us (and you do, whether you realize it or not.  It's a well known Hyde technique.) because we had a truly painful experience - something you just don't seem to understand.  Maybe you don't mean it that way, but it comes across as malicious.  I spent three years there and graduated with a diploma.  I went through it all - 2/4, "auditions, "Family Learning Centers," "attitude trips," wrestling, getting reamed out for not snitching on others, sleep deprivation, and many other practices that I've becomed convinced over time (if I wasn't convinced at the time I endured them) are emotionally harmful.

If you loved it, wonderful for you.  I know some kids & their families who thought it was a lifesaver.  But for many, the "round peg in square hole" cliche sums it up very well.  And I believe beyond any doubt that many of their practices and techniques are abusive, demeaning, and, in the case of their "seminars," dangerous theraputic malpractice.

I hated it everyday I was there, even after I learned to play their games and mouth their catchphrases. I just remember going off to college and not being able to stop smiling as I strolled around campus, even when I'd had nightmares about being back at Hyde and being told that I had to spend yet another year there.  I remember getting my first college report card and seeing that I'd made the dean's list. No "lacks effort," or "needs to be more of leader," just the letter "A."  I remember standing in the warm Arizona sunshine and feeling human again.

And that's why I won't set foot on the Hyde campus ever again.  Why my charitable donations go elsewhere.  Why I'd like to warn prospective parents about the place.

That's it - all the bile I needed to spill, all the warning I can give.  If any prospective students or parents on this board want to know about anything I went through, just ask.  I'll peruse these boards from time to time. Until then....

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2005, 05:20:00 PM »
On 2005-11-11 14:14:00, Lars wrote:

That said, when people like Tom Allan who experience Hyde for six months and ran away three times become one of the dominant posters here, along with Antigen, then I will question all of you.  I don't know your facts, but I do know Tommy left long before he had the chance to get it....a small number leave Hyde like Tommy, and his posts are less than authorative."

People like myself get angry whem you bait us (and you do, whether you realize it or not.  It's a well known Hyde technique.) because we had a truly painful experience - something you just don't seem to understand.  Maybe you don't mean it that way, but it comes across as malicious.  I spent three years there and graduated with a diploma.  I went through it all - 2/4, "auditions, "Family Learning Centers," "attitude trips," wrestling, getting reamed out for not snitching on others, sleep deprivation, and many other practices that I've become convinced over time (if I wasn't convinced at the time I endured them) are emotionally harmful.

If you loved it, wonderful for you.  I know some kids & their families who thought it was a lifesaver.  But for many, the "round peg in square hole" cliche sums it up very well.  And I believe beyond any doubt that many of their practices and techniques are abusive, demeaning, and, in the case of their "seminars," dangerous theraputic malpractice.

I hated it everyday I was there, even after I learned to play their games and mouth their catchphrases. I just remember going off to college and not being able to stop smiling as I strolled around campus, even when I'd had nightmares about being back at Hyde and being told that I had to spend yet another year there.  I remember getting my first college report card and seeing that I'd made the dean's list. No "lacks effort," or "needs to be more of leader," just the letter "A."  I remember standing in the warm Arizona sunshine and feeling human again.

And that's why I won't set foot on the Hyde campus ever again.  Why my charitable donations go elsewhere.  Why I'd like to warn prospective parents about the place.

That's it - all the bile I needed to spill, all the warning I can give.  If any prospective students or parents on this board want to know about anything I went through, just ask.  I'll peruse these boards from time to time. Until then....

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2005, 06:23:00 PM »
Thank you Lars.  That was a very thoughtful comment.  Three years is a seriously long time for things to suck as bad as they sound in your post.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »
Lars: You've made some very valuable comments here.  Yes, some of them drip with anger, but that's perfectly understandable given your miserable Hyde experience. There are many former Hyde students and parents who feel exactly as you do -- full of intense resentment toward Hyde because of the school's often misguided, judgmental, and hypocritical protocols.  I don't doubt that some people experience Hyde positively; they have their unique reasons for believing that it was a valuable experience.  The stark reality, however, is that legions of others feel deeply damaged by their Hyde experience, and with good reason.  There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that while some people cherish their Hyde experience, for many, if not most, Hyde is a terribly destructive environment managed by people who live their myopic lives in a very tight cult-like circle.  This is NOT a matter of disgruntled people refusing to buy into the Hyde system.  Rather, it's a matter of a large group of perceptive people who eventually grasp Hyde's bizarre and twisted subculture.  

It doesn't surprise me that Hyde resists outside influences; that's how truly fundamentalist cults operate.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »
I had never done sports before I came to Hyde, and at first, it WAS torture.  But then I found out that I really love to run.  The endorphins are great.  I'm in my late 20s and I'm in the best shape of my life.

The point is, I liked that Hyde made me try a lot of different things that I didn't want to do.  It made me a Renaissance woman.  I also loved seeing my mom sing, even if it was off-key.  She tried really hard and showed me that she was human.  I didn't need her to be a world class singer.  I was inspired by her willingness to try something new.

I'm trying not to be insensitive about this one, but it's hard for me to see the performing arts program as child abuse.  We live in a culture where kids can't swim in the back yard or play in a tree house without being watched because it's child abuse.  As a result, I'm guessing that we're going to have a generation of very oblivious adults who don't know to look both ways before crossing the street.  I had to take a math class in college.  It was torture.  However, I wouldn't call it abuse.  I worked hard at it and learned how to make the most of a boring situation.  Shouldn't kids learn how to "survive" the "torture" of kareoke?  Sans alcohol?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 12:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I had never done sports before I came to Hyde, and at first, it WAS torture.  But then I found out that I really love to run.  The endorphins are great.  I'm in my late 20s and I'm in the best shape of my life.

The point is, I liked that Hyde made me try a lot of different things that I didn't want to do.  It made me a Renaissance woman.  I also loved seeing my mom sing, even if it was off-key.  She tried really hard and showed me that she was human.  I didn't need her to be a world class singer.  I was inspired by her willingness to try something new.

I'm trying not to be insensitive about this one, but it's hard for me to see the performing arts program as child abuse.  We live in a culture where kids can't swim in the back yard or play in a tree house without being watched because it's child abuse.  As a result, I'm guessing that we're going to have a generation of very oblivious adults who don't know to look both ways before crossing the street.  I had to take a math class in college.  It was torture.  However, I wouldn't call it abuse.  I worked hard at it and learned how to make the most of a boring situation.  Shouldn't kids learn how to "survive" the "torture" of kareoke?  Sans alcohol?"
I love Hyde and thank them in my heart everyday I wake up...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »
Whats all these cry babies beef with Hyde all about? It was a good school, a little tough, but jeez...These guys are acting like they were in San Quinton

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2005, 04:46:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 12:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I had never done sports before I came to Hyde, and at first, it WAS torture.  But then I found out that I really love to run.  The endorphins are great.  I'm in my late 20s and I'm in the best shape of my life.

I'm trying not to be insensitive about this one, but it's hard for me to see the performing arts program as child abuse.  We live in a culture where kids can't swim in the back yard or play in a tree house without being watched because it's child abuse.  As a result, I'm guessing that we're going to have a generation of very oblivious adults who don't know to look both ways before crossing the street.  I had to take a math class in college.  It was torture.  However, I wouldn't call it abuse.  I worked hard at it and learned how to make the most of a boring situation.  Shouldn't kids learn how to "survive" the "torture" of kareoke?  Sans alcohol?"

I don't think you're being insensitive.  I just hope you understand that it was a deeply humiliating and embarrassing experience for many.  We can agree to disagree.  I loathed performing arts there more than I can adequately express in words.  If you liked it, terrific for you.