Author Topic: South Carolina lack supervision of group homes  (Read 13253 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
South Carolina lack supervision of group homes
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:11:12 PM »
The HEAL-online news letter from August 12 includes a link to this article:

S.C. has no say in youth centers: Little-known facilities hold troubled teens--April 26th, 2011 (source: postandcourier.com)

SUMMERVILLE -- Many residents were stunned to learn last week that a local youth treatment center was housing violent teens from outside South Carolina. How could this happen, they wondered.

The truth is: The state has almost no control of who is placed in these facilities or where they come from. In many cases, even the local police don't know who is in their backyard.

South Carolina is home to 17 of these treatment centers that house nearly 800 kids and young adults struggling with mental illness, violent behavior and other problems. Many, like Palmetto Summerville Behavioral Health, are privately run facilities.

State's involvement

The state Department of Health and Environmental Control licenses these centers but has virtually no say in where they are located or who they accept as clients, agency spokesman Thom Berry said.

DHEC inspectors typically visit these facilities just once every two years unless a complaint is lodged, Berry said. Even then, they are looking at things such as staffing ratios, the dispensing of medication and treatment plans. They don't control admissions or security measures. These facilities are not required to report escapes; only hospitalizations and deaths, he said.

That doesn't sit well with some town officials following last week's escape of four violence-prone Washington, D.C., teens from Palmetto's 60-bed treatment center on Midland Parkway. One escapee who remains at large had reportedly been charged with attempted murder.

"I'm very concerned," Town Councilman Walter Bailey said. "We have plenty of home-grown thugs in South Carolina without importing them from other states."

Councilman Bob Jackson said he wants town officials to discuss ways to improve security and notification measures at the center. He said a number of residents have spoken to him with concerns about security at the facility, which is surrounded by a 6-foot-tall wooden fence topped with a lattice.

"The gates there I could have climbed when I was 9 years old. When I was a teenager, those gates would have just been fun," Jackson said. "They don't look like they are designed to keep someone in. And my belief is, this was not an isolated case."

Prior incidents

Since February 2006, Summerville police have been called to the facility 128 times. In that time, there have been 12 missing-person calls and seven reports of runaways, police Capt. Michael Donoghue said.

In October 2009, a 15-year-old from the facility was accused of savagely beating a 64-year-old woman after slipping out a side door, according to a police report.

The victim, Toni Kucish, told police she was climbing from her vehicle when the teen started hitting her, knocking her to the ground. He continued to punch her in the head and shoulders while she was down. He ran off after she screamed for help but was quickly caught by staff members from the center, the police report stated.

Staff members told police the teen had run off after asking to get a drink of water. The teen told police he was angry with staff and decided to take it out on the first person he saw, a police report stated.

Geoffrey H. Waggoner, Kucish's attorney, said his client suffered a hemorrhage six months later that caused bleeding on the brain while she was talking to someone about the incident.

"Not only did the institution fail to acknowledge the attack on Ms. Kucish nearly two years ago, from recent events, it appears that meaningful improvements in security are still lacking," he said.

The facilities

Stacey Lindbergh, Palmetto's director of business development and community relations, declined to comment on the episode or anything related to last week's escape, citing patient confidentiality restrictions. The center released a statement last week saying it is "committed to providing the best possible treatment to its patients and takes their safety and well- being very seriously."

The Summerville facility is one of three operated in South Carolina by Palmetto Behavioral Health System. Palmetto, in turn, is owned by Universal Health Services, a Fortune 500 health management company with some 200 facilities throughout the country. The parent company reported net revenues of $5.6 billion in 2010.

The Summerville facility is not the only Palmetto Behavioral Health center to have problems. In February 2004, a 21-year-old accused of robbery escaped twice in two weeks from Palmetto's North Charleston treatment center, allegedly kidnapping his children's mother during his time on the run. Two years earlier, a 16-year-old boy was accused of sexually molesting two other boys --ages 12 and 14 -- at the same facility.

It remains unclear just how many out-of-state offenders are housed at the Palmetto facilities or how long the practice has been going on.

'Needs to change'

Steve Rublee, director of the Medical University Institute of Psychiatry, said it is not uncommon for treatment centers like Palmetto to accept clients from other states that may not have facilities to accommodate all of the youths under their jurisdiction. He ran a child and adolescent residential facility for seven years.

Rublee said the centers provide an important care option for youths dealing with long-term problems. "I think there is very much a need for this long-term care option that residential treatment centers provide," he said.

That may be, but state Rep. Chip Limehouse, R-Charleston, still plans to push for restrictions on the age and level of criminal offender allowed at that type of center. He also wants the state to prohibit these facilities from accepting out-of-state clients with criminal backgrounds.

"The questions are: Why are we even taking in any of these offenders from outside of South Carolina, why are we putting them behind a fence you can buy at Lowe's and how soon can we end this process?" he said. "This practice needs to change."

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

dragonfly

Re: South Carolina lack supervision of group homes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 10:57:40 AM »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
CEDU EDUCATION WITH NEW OWNER -- "HERE FOREVER" AGAIN!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »
Quote from: "Glenn Smith, of The Post and Courier,"
The Summerville facility is one of three operated in South Carolina by Palmetto Behavioral Health System. Palmetto, in turn, is owned by Universal Health Services, a Fortune 500 health management company with some 200 facilities throughout the country. The parent company reported net revenues of $5.6 billion in 2010.
Quote from: "dragonfly"
Universal Health Services...just saw them as the owners of Provo Canyon School.

What are the names of the directors at Universal Health Services, what are the political connections?  Sorry I'm not so up on current events.
Universal Health Services, Inc. bought what was left of CEDU, amongst other facilities...

An old "essay" from StrugglingTeens:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Essays
Posted: Sep 9, 2005

CEDU EDUCATION WITH NEW OWNER -- "HERE FOREVER" AGAIN!

By Linda Shaffer, M.A.
Educational Consultant
Sandpoint, ID

Former staff member at CEDU's Rocky Mountain Academy

GO former CEDU GO!

With Universal Health Services (UHS) winning the bid for the now empty CEDU Education buildings in north Idaho, it appears that the future is looking bright for the students, parents and former staff of CEDU and the therapeutic schools industry. All I can say for the industry, families and former staff members of the CEDU schools is "Yippee!" For me, it was unimaginable that the schools and their awesome, inspirational properties would be closed forever. As we wait for UHS to reopen the doors of the dorms and "the house," I personally am eager to know more about the new plan and meet those who will be overseeing it. I anxiously await the removal of the barricade at the entrance so I can drive back onto the property to do my share of handholding as the students, families and staff are welcomed onto the campus. North Idaho is looking forward to the aliveness and bustle created by these teenagers, parents and an eager staff who are more than ready to get back into the business of working with these bright, confused, witty, loving, trying to figure it all out struggling teens.

As an educational consultant these past almost 14 years, I know our role is to assist parents in assessing and making the best recommendations for their child and family. With this in mind, I am hopeful the educational consultants will once again take an in-depth interest in a north Idaho school setting that has been in the forefront of emotional growth education for struggling teens for so many years. When I wrote an earlier piece for Woodbury Reports as the schools closed, "CEDU Education --"Here Forever," I received many responses from staff, former staff and former students who had stumbled upon the article. A recent graduate asked if I wanted to hear his views on the schools, or his perspective on the caring group of people and challenges that changed his life so incredibly.

Every family, be it our personal family, work family or school family, faces trials and victories in a lifetime. In my practice, I work with families and schools all across the country. I am eager to learn more about the new plan in north Idaho, and when appropriate, include these schools in my recommendations for consideration to the families who have hired me.

There is a connection with nature for any school or program in north Idaho, and a history of many successes in this region. I wish the new owners, returning and new staff all the very best. This industry is in need of such places of beauty, safety, care, inspiration, challenges, growth... and joy and laughter again.

With Universal Health Services (UHS) winning the bid for the now empty CEDU Education buildings the future is looking bright for the students, parents and former staff of CEDU and the therapeutic schools industry.

Copyright ©2010, Woodbury Reports, Inc.

dragonfly

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: S.C. has no say in youth centers: Little-known facilitie
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »
Photo and caption from the above article in the OP:

Neighbors of the Palmetto Behavioral Health complex in Summerville have expressed concerns about security at the facility, which is surrounded by a 6-foot-tall wooden fence topped with 18 inches of lattice.
    Photo by Wade Spees
    [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "S.C. has no say in youth centers..."
    « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:39 AM »
    Comments left for the above article, "S.C. has no say in youth centers: Little-known facilities hold troubled teens" (by Glenn Smith; April 26, 2011; The Post and Courier), #s 1-20:

mat catastrophe · 12:36 AM on 4/26/2011
      "The questions are: Why are we even taking in any of these offenders from outside of South Carolina, why are we putting them behind a fence you can buy at Lowe's...?"

Because someone's making money, Chip.
    rayshockeynut · 2:41 AM on 4/26/2011
      That's what I'm sayin!!! How can you sit here and tell us we have no say so in this matter. If these junior scumbags are here instead of prison, then they at least need to be secured so the general public is protected!!

Next thing you know, we will have another "Bobby" incident where a homeowner will be called a murder by one of these kids family members when they are on a morgue slab for trying to rob or kill someone!! Or even worse, an innocent homeowner will be killed by one of these junior scumbags!!!
    harpo · 5:01 AM on 4/26/2011
      How about DHEC make this place a more frequent inspection target .. like about once a week for unannounced, in-depth inspections .. and then use those to shut the place down like a light switch? Once shut down, require them to discharge all prisoners to another facility out of state until they can pass inspections properly. Make 'em howl!

Time for an exposé on just who in South Carolina is making money from this travesty, Post & Courier!
      tide2 · 7:30 AM on 4/26/2011
        Harpo, the way DHEC does these thing is when they make inspections, they call the facility in advance and make an appointment before they show up! I kid you not!! Same thing regarding complaints. DHEC never just shows up out of the blue.
      katensc · 8:44 AM on 4/26/2011
        DHEC may not legally be able to do that!

"DHEC inspectors typically visit these facilities just once every two years unless a complaint is lodged, Berry said. Even then, they are looking at things such as staffing ratios, the dispensing of medication and treatment plans. They don't control admissions or security measures. These facilities are not required to report escapes; only hospitalizations and deaths"

Do I agree with it? NO! But before I blame DHEC , I would take a very close look at their regulations! Also, the people at DHEC are so poorly-paid and turnover at the upper levels is high. Just the way this facility wants it and you can bet the owners have some legislators in their pockets!
      [/list]
      mikecharleston · 5:35 AM on 4/26/2011
        Instead of SC legislators focusing on issues like voter ID cards and protecting turtles from balloons, this issue of recruiting out-of-state thugs into our city should be of top priority.
      pirate42 · 6:10 AM on 4/26/2011
        give me a break Its all About MONEY Palmetto Does not care about the Community... They have NO staff trained AT all to take care of this type child...I know First hand
      tide2 · 7:24 AM on 4/26/2011
        Alllllllllllllllllllllll these years our state lawmakers have been asleep at the switch. Should we be surprised?

Man o man do we have some real winners in state government. Why on earth to we tolerate these worthless power freaks is beyond me.

Where is the Voter Recall Bill? Why won't they pass this law the we DEMAND. Why do they NOT listen to us and REPRESENT us?

Why? Why? Why?
      tide2 · 7:27 AM on 4/26/2011
        Pirate is spot on ... it's just all about money. But they put on their websites, that " it's our mission to serve the community, to promote a healthy environment, to rehabilitate troubled teens and release them back into society as wonderful citizens ..... " pfft!!!

Everything is such a farce anymore. It's all about money, just like Pirate said.
      kerri · 7:38 AM on 4/26/2011
        "The parent company reported net revenues of $5.6 billion in 2010. "
        Yet they will continue to hire people for $7 or $8 an hour, who have little to no training to supervise kids with criminal records. And the staff that do have training are rarely in the building. I've been to a few of these places, delivering for the company that I worked for at the time, and the inmates run the jail.
      coledanger · 7:45 AM on 4/26/2011
        I think the issue is not in-state or out-of-state youths and young adults. Everybody has some level of problems no matter where they are from. State lines are not the defining issue here.

I think the most import issues here are the kinds of problems these patients have and the effectiveness of their treatment.

Also very important are on-site security to protect patients and the surrounding community, and assessment of dangers to the community by centers' population.
      sand lapper · 7:46 AM on 4/26/2011
        Man that fence is ugly!! Put them to work sanding and painting that thing! And put some razor wire around the top for God's sake. We don't want them jumping over without being chummonated now do we?
      newbattleaxe · 7:51 AM on 4/26/2011
        S'ville Police average twice-weekly visits to this "Youth Facility," and it's still in operation? I'll bet Dorchester Two Schools send teachers there daily, even though this is a "private" facility.

Not only are there private residences near this facility, but also there are day care centers, doctors' and dentists' offices, and many other places where the more vulnerable members of our society are available - ripe for the picking.

Poor Summerville seems to have a history of getting stuck with places like this!
        sassafras · 9:18 AM on 4/26/2011
          These kids attend Dorchester 2 schools. There are some as young as elementary age at this facility.
        some1thatknows · 4:45 PM on 4/26/2011
          Last I remember, the facility had their own school building and employed certified teachers........I do not recall any residents attending any local public school.
        [/list]
        coldbeer · 8:38 AM on 4/26/2011
          coledanger, these are not "patients". Your way of thinking is the biggest problem we face with these facilities. These are "inmates". Only when we start treating them like inmates will we solve the problems associated with a safety risk to the public.
        coldbeer · 8:39 AM on 4/26/2011
          We should pay for them all to get their own iPads..
          starcar · 11:19 AM on 4/26/2011
            And get away cars for when they escape...
          [/list]
          jbt · 8:43 AM on 4/26/2011
            Hey Chip, forget changing the type of fence surrounding this national dumping ground for so called "juvenile offenders" and close this place. Do not allow it to re-open until voters in a 5 mile radius decide if they like having a facility housing these individuals in their neighborhood. If they say "no problem" and the local police officials agree then allow it to re-open but in another area. Gitmo comes to mind.
          beentook2 · 8:46 AM on 4/26/2011
            To the District of Columbia he is an insane criminal,
            To PSBH he is money in the bank,
            To DHEC he is a patient, hands off to all,
            To Summerville officials he is, hey nobody told me,
            To local law enforcement, they are clueless,
            To the politicians he is just a temporary annoyance,
            To PSBH employees he is crazy,
            To the kids in the neighborhood he is their worst nightmare just one small leap away.

Copyright © 1995 - 2011 Evening Post Publishing Co.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:48:53 AM »
          Comments left for the above article, "S.C. has no say in youth centers: Little-known facilities hold troubled teens" (by Glenn Smith; April 26, 2011; The Post and Courier), #s 21-40:

nitrat · 8:51 AM on 4/26/2011
            Yep, and almost all of that company profit from facilities like this is Medicaid money.

newbattleaxe, don't know if Dorchester 2 sends teachers in or they have their own teachers on staff. But, part of treatment is mainstreaming them back into public schools when they are stable.

You would think Chip Limehouse would be embarrassed about constantly revealing how little he knows about how SC state agencies work. I would venture to say most of these in-state kids come from DSS, DJJ, Continuum of Care - governor's cabinet agencies or office of the governor agencies.
            sassafras · 9:20 AM on 4/26/2011
              These children attend Dorchester 2 schools. Some of them are elementary age, and have attended Oakbrook Elementary.
            [/list]
            nitrat · 8:57 AM on 4/26/2011
              "The victim, Toni Kucish, told police she was climbing from her vehicle when the teen started hitting her, knocking her to the ground. He continued to punch her in the head and shoulders while she was down."

I hope this lady sued the heck out of them. If not, you still can!!
            early · 9:02 AM on 4/26/2011
              They should be forced in to a military boot camp separate from the real folks but they have to go through the program. If they don't make it there, send them to the prison for work details so they can see the light. If that don't work, put them to sleep like the animal they will become
              coldbeer · 10:00 AM on 4/26/2011
                Boot Camp isn't what it used to be. Recruits get issued "Time-Out" cards that they can "play" any time they get stressed. I doubt today's boot camps woiuld do anything to fix these future criminals.
              harpo · 11:00 AM on 4/26/2011
                Yeah, and no cussin' in boot camp. Now they will probably be issuing cammie panties when the homosexuals start pouring in.
              [/list]
              dogman · 9:13 AM on 4/26/2011
                As a former inspector/auditor for the Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (OMHSAS) in Pa., I can attest that a major focus that DHEC inspectors should be looking at is the security issue and admissions. In the organizations "Policy and Procedure" format, there should be a through procedures outline in place for both, security and admission criteria. Typically an inspector would review the annual or semi-annual (can't believe this is only done every 2 years in SC!!!), report/statistics, and note any weaknesses or discrepancies of the format and recommend corrections be made in order for the facility to continue to retain its license. Sounds to me like the state needs better oversight in behavioral health organizations such as this one. I have spent my life working with juvenile delinquents and in the mental health field. Without controls, you have a recipe for a dangerous environment and outcomes.
                harpo · 11:02 AM on 4/26/2011
                  dogman: "In the organizations "Policy and Procedure" format, there should be a through procedures outline in place for both, security and admission criteria."

Could you clarify the above babble, please?
                dogman · 11:48 AM on 4/26/2011
                  Every Mental Health Agency in Pa, is required to have a "Policy and Procedures" manual which would include the criteria used for Admission(s) of potential residents, i.e. Screening methods used, Psychological reports, etc. In an "Operations" Manual a description would include "Security Procedures" implemented, e.g. recognizing potential risk, areas of potential physical plant security breech, protocol for police contact upon escape, etc. A state auditor/inspector reviews all the agencies policies and instructs the agency to make correction where needed.
                griff895 · 6:47 PM on 4/26/2011
                  One of the problems, dogman, is that revenue shortfalls and budget cutbacks have forced many agencies to curtail routine inspection activities.
                [/list]
                keylai · 9:15 AM on 4/26/2011
                  They have there own teachers. Also there was a time not too long ago when there was no fence. The fence was put up after that lady was beat. The lattice was recently after quite a few kids jumped the fence.
                  jbt · 11:34 AM on 4/26/2011
                    That makes me feel so much better knowing they put up a fence and lattice only after a citizen had been beat and more of these "offenders" had "jumped the fence". I will sleep much better tonight knowing this place is safe and secure. But, just in case, I'll get my husband to make sure he has shells for his shotgun.
                  [/list]
                  david shiel · 9:25 AM on 4/26/2011
                    I have been a mental health high level executive since 1968, now thankfully retired. In 1968 I founded what remains today a nationally respected reentry program for the mentally ill; Stairways Inc. in Erie Pa.. Every patient we accepted was carefully screened and any history of violence toward staff or others would make the patient ineligible. But back then, quality care, safetyand ethical treatment were the driving considerations as opposed to profit and large Executive salaries . Throughout my long career , I have observed and became convinced that it is virtually impossible to generate a profit in the mental health arena while at the same time providing adequate staffing levels, sound treatment programs, acceptable staff training and adequate salaries and benefits for direct service staff. Kerri's comments were dead on the money. PROFIT above all else.
                    michael meuli · 9:55 AM on 4/26/2011
                      Ever read or agreed with anything Foucault said? j/w since you worked in the field
                    [/list]
                    david shiel · 9:37 AM on 4/26/2011
                      Dogman, you hit the nail on the head. But then , even in the 70's, Pa. was light years ahead of where SC sits today. The oversight we had from the then Office of Mental Health and from NIMH was onerous , but needed. I have been so pleased that an ethical professional of the quality of Bill Mc Carthy has been leading Stairways in Erie. T'is my professional legacy.
                      I made the grave mistake of ending my career with a for-profit, and was actually terminiated 6 weeks before I planned to resign. What a relief. I have never slept better.
                    justamom · 9:41 AM on 4/26/2011
                      Is this a jail or a rehab service?
                      Right next to housing advertised for the elderly. Hum
                      I would think that planning and code would prevent such a thing from happening.
                    brat · 10:15 AM on 4/26/2011
                      FYI There is a commission called JCAHO (Joint Commission on the Accredibility of Hospitals Organization) that ROUTINELY makes FREQUENT SURPRISE visits to both the Institute of Psychiatry at the Medical University AND to Palmetto Behavioral Health facilities. They are a NATIONAL acceditation organization, which has VERY STRICT policies which Palmetto PASSED a few months ago.
                      dogman · 11:36 AM on 4/26/2011
                        That's true brat, but JCAHO usually does their inspections once every four years, and the inspections are only as good as the inspectors. The "surprise" visits usually aren't that surprising as a facility usually has some idea when to expect them. Believe me, I've been through a number of JCAHO inspections as a Risk Manager for a major hospital, and although nationwide, they are more interested in their profit margin than inspections.
                      dogman · 11:57 AM on 4/26/2011
                        Since my comment was removed, I'll say it again. JCAHO inspects usually once every 4 years. Most organizations have ample warning when they are coming and what to expect. They charge mega $$$ for their "inspection services" and you are ,in fact, buying your agencies, hospitals accrediation. I was a Risk Manager at a major hospital in PA. and went through many JCAHO inspecitons. They are only as good as the quality of the inspectors are.
                      blackcoffee · 12:04 PM on 4/26/2011
                        They are paid by those who are being inspected.

Duh
                      [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                      « Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 02:08:08 AM »
                      Comments left for the above article, "S.C. has no say in youth centers: Little-known facilities hold troubled teens" (by Glenn Smith; April 26, 2011; The Post and Courier), #s 41-60:

nitrat · 1:59 PM on 4/26/2011
                          Isn't almost ALL "accreditation", educational or medical or anything, a racket?
                        [/list]
                        maxistheman · 10:19 AM on 4/26/2011
                          This is the biggest bunch of krap I have ever heard. What are they covering up there. Confidentiality reasons! What! Who cares! They are bad kids. What's to cover up, unless they are trying new medical breakthroughs out on these kids.
                        mtpleasantmom · 10:20 AM on 4/26/2011
                          "Since February 2006, Summerville police have been called to the facility 128 times."

According to my math, that is once roughly every 2 weeks. WOW!!!
                        streetlaw · 10:20 AM on 4/26/2011
                          No say and not much oversight as suspected sex offenders may serve as counselors in some youth agencies...and btw known sex offenders may be in that nursing home you put your wife or mother in and they won't tell you...in fact they may not even know...
                        wwajsp · 10:23 AM on 4/26/2011
                          Close it down. It's too close to my children's day care. I don't care if these kids need help...they can get it in D.C. or Virginia (I know they have appropriate facilities). This makes me so mad! And frustrated. I was so relieved and secure when I picked their day care, and now, not so much. And I'm all the way in Mt. Pleasant, so I can't even run over and check on them. This is very upsetting.
                        inlikeflynn · 10:53 AM on 4/26/2011
                          wonder why my comment was removed? what PC rule did i break? anybody know?
                          sand lapper · 11:07 AM on 4/26/2011
                            They removed something of mine earlier, too. This liberal rag of a paper is full of surprises.
                          harpo · 11:16 AM on 4/26/2011
                            Well, if we didn't get to read your post, how could we possibly guess why it was removed, hmmm?
                          [/list]
                          wordup · 10:59 AM on 4/26/2011
                            situations in sc has been over looked for quite sometime,We need to start acting on changeing the whole system.From top to bottom,no more electing family,sons and daughters.This is an outrage.These teens need discipline,they dont get it at home,so they pass them on to society,innocent people get hurt,rob,killed.Parents should be accountable.The public didnot birth them.
                          harpo · 11:08 AM on 4/26/2011
                            Open up a new Clockwork Orange teen violence treatment facility in Summerville and have Alex DeLarge and his droogs run it. Yeah, Baby .. YEAH!
                          8011 · 12:57 PM on 4/26/2011
                            Um...NEWS FLASH...99% of these apathetic excuses for humans will NOT be rehabilitated and will end up repeat offenders, but the PC crowd thinks otherwise. Guess what...Aggressive, low intelligence, crack head, jail bird, thug parents breed aggressive, low intelligence, crack head, jail bird, thug kids. WAKE UP! IT IS TIME TO FOR CHANGE. We need to start getting medieval on these folks. Sure, a few generations will suffer, but that is what it will take.
                          lowcountry01 · 1:15 PM on 4/26/2011
                            I love it!
                          just sayin' · 1:54 PM on 4/26/2011
                            UHS has a conference call tomorrow, dont worry, its all about MONEY!!

http://ir.uhsinc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=10 ... highlight=[/list]
                            just sayin' · 1:56 PM on 4/26/2011
                              ..and the stock is soaring.... up 2% today, 60 percent up from the low, YeeeHiiii
                            [/list]
                            scpdblue · 1:57 PM on 4/26/2011
                              This place is next to a assisted living complex,apartment complex and housing These type places should be located next to a prison,in the middle of nowhere. That fence is a joke,the gate is a joke,the whole place is a joke.
                            auntb · 2:21 PM on 4/26/2011
                              I'm just wondering why only one individual shows up on the sex offender registry.

http://www.icrimewatch.net/index.php?AgencyID=54575

The address is 225 Midland Parkway, right? Zip 29485? Is this facility ensuring that all sex offenders are being registered (those over the age of 16.)[/list]
                              keylai · 3:58 PM on 4/26/2011
                                Yes, that is the correct address. I would like to know why he is 21 and in a placement for juveniles?
                              some1thatknows · 4:31 PM on 4/26/2011
                                Maybe ask the out of state court system that refers them to the facility :)
                              [/list]
                              realistic · 4:33 PM on 4/26/2011
                                washington times links to this story:
                                april 21 -
                              http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... m-sc-site/

april 25 - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... offenders/[/list]
                              some1thatknows · 4:34 PM on 4/26/2011
                                Too bad the public doesn't know about all the assaults made on the staff of the facility!

And ask why none were reported!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                              « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:15 AM »
                              Comments left for the above article, "S.C. has no say in youth centers: Little-known facilities hold troubled teens" (by Glenn Smith; April 26, 2011; The Post and Courier), #s 61-72:

chs2945 · 4:56 PM on 4/26/2011
                                  True. But that's pretty much a risk of any such job. You know that going in. "Retraints" by staff are common.
                                some1thatknows · 5:07 PM on 4/26/2011
                                  Not referring to the restraints.......referring to when the residents walk up and punch the faces of the staff for whatever reasons.........
                                [/list]
                                chs2945 · 4:51 PM on 4/26/2011
                                  "Town Councilman Walter Bailey said. 'We have plenty of home-grown thugs in South Carolina without importing them from other states."' "
                                  I'm as anti-PC as it gets but wow.
                                  Here's another piece of info. I know in the past many of the "residents" could earn off-site priviledges. Meaning they could go to the mall, the movies, the fair or other chaperoned sites.
                                  This indeed a lock-up facility but having worked with the youth there(20 yrs ago) I can't help but feel badly since many are there because of pathetic family members. I'm in favor of "tough love" and taking accountability but when faced with abuse, molestation or some mental/psych deficiencies then the responsibility has to fall somewhere to help for the sa of the individual and society.
                                  That's the big picture. More to the point, these places go to great lengths to keep their I.D. under the radar. If one goal is rehabilitation for the good of society then apply that concept to the facility in general. We don't need patient names, just some disclosure.
                                  chs2945 · 4:54 PM on 4/26/2011
                                    * .."SAKE of the individual..."
                                  some1thatknows · 5:12 PM on 4/26/2011
                                    The public may not know that the facility is populated by 50% sex offenders and the remaining 50% are one step from being at the big boy prison......It is the latter population that has escaped.

Many of the residents there are victims of horrible physical, emotional, mental and sexual abuse.......brought on by family members and close family friends.
                                  jbt · 8:36 AM on 4/27/2011
                                    If these individuals are in this situation due to pathetic family members, then let the state that produced the person and pathetic family treat them. And that these people are roaming our movie theaters, malls, and local fairs and can walk off from this so-called treatment facility without the local authorities being notified, please! The responsibility of these "guilty but mentally ill juveniles" is the state and local communities that produced them not SC.
                                  [/list]
                                  nitrat · 5:02 PM on 4/26/2011
                                    I just thought of something...it is commonplace for law enforcement to tell a parent of a child 17+ or DSS with custody of a child 17+ who has run away, that they are not minors and LE cannot look for them.

Is anyone even looking for this kid? Or, does LE just consider he has the right to walk off from anywhere since he's over 17? If they do, DC may not want to place their wards here.
                                  the plain truth · 5:41 PM on 4/26/2011
                                    Since February 2006, Summerville police have been called to the facility 128 times? If that were a bar it would have been forced to shut down after 10 calls (shades of Femme Fatale).

This story only gets worse. We still have some wingnut running loose and those sworn to protect and serve haven't been able to find him.
                                  realistic · 6:38 PM on 4/26/2011
                                    to clear up confusion and misconceptions: residents at the midland pkwy. facility are able to go off site with several staff in company vans. the residents who are allowed these privileges are those who cause no trouble, have no write ups and work their program so they can get out of there.

palmetto behavioral health does not mainstream these kids back into south carolina schools. sassafras posted that "these kids attend dorchester 2 schools." no kids at this facility attend local mainstream schools. the building that faces midland pkwy. iIs the school building. both of the above paragraphs confuse the midland parkway facility with another summerville facility that does allow residents to go off site alone, but not to movies etc. more like around the block or if good to a local fast food joint and part time job. that facility also lets its residents take the school bus to summerville schools. but only those who work their program and these are not the same type of kids that midland parkway houses.

btw i like cold beer's suggestion to give them ipads. maybe though a gps unit would be more apropos so they could find their way back to their home states.

sandlapper posted: "man that fence is ugly!! put them to work sanding and painting that thing!" they (PBH) will not allow the residents of the facility to do such work as it might set them up for litigation in the event something went wrong. injuries, allergies etc. who knows, maybe even slave labor?

actually these facilities are in every state of the union, every city, and almost every county, plus us virgin islands and us territory puerto rico. kinda similar to the prison industrial industry. it is all big business. it provides jobs from top down.
                                  mostlysilent · 9:57 PM on 4/26/2011
                                    This particular facility was located here well before any of the houses, apartments, and multiple new doctor/dentist offices popped up along Midland Parkway.

I understand that people are upset to just learn that this type of facility was located so close to their homes/jobs/daycare/etc, but a quick search of your zip code in the sex offender registry (over the years at least one patient from the facility has been listed, every time I've searched it) and you would have been aware that something was up. You're always at risk of someone harming you or your children, knowing this place exists doesn't suddenly make you *more* of a target because you've lived nearby for 15 years. Chill out a bit, you should be more worried about the creeps in your neighborhood that haven't been caught yet, the ones no one is monitoring.

My biggest concern about this whole thing is that we still do not have a picture of the kid that escaped. How is anyone supposed to know if they spot this kid with nothing but a vague physical description? He is 19 years old, and if he was arrested for attempted murder why can't the DC authorities release a mugshot? He has free roam to go wherever he pleases because not a single one of us is going to recognize him.

I'd be interested in an update to patient confidentiality laws that state once you leave a facility you're court-ordered to be in, you waive all rights to patient confidentiality and your picture can be plastered on the news. For me, this is the real issue and what everyone should be putting their energy and focus into.
                                  Name withheld · 10:54 PM on 4/26/2011
                                    This comment is under review.[/list]
                                    melaniem41 · 11:57 PM on 4/26/2011
                                      If there are violent teenagers here who have committed offenses such as murder, whereEVER this center is located needs to have fences with barbed wire, guards, alarms and a safety plan for area neighbors. PERIOD. It doesn't matter that the homes were built after the center. It doesn't matter that they were not aware. For liability sake, for protection of those in the areas around them, this center needs to majorly increase their security.

dragonfly

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 10:59:47 PM »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                    Re: Comments: "S.C. has no say in youth centers..."
                                    « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »
                                    Quote from: "dragonfly"
                                    we're all gonna go to hell in a bucket...those comments are just chatter...the ex workers were interesting talking about it being all about the money...
                                    I found some of those comments pretty harsh... As if those kids stuck in Palmetto are considered to be completely unredeemable. And expendable. This one, for example:

maxistheman · 10:19 AM on 4/26/2011
                                        This is the biggest bunch of krap I have ever heard. What are they covering up there. Confidentiality reasons! What! Who cares! They are bad kids. What's to cover up, unless they are
                                      trying new medical breakthroughs out on these kids.[/list][/list]

"Trying new medical breakthroughs out on these kids?" It's not hard to see how folks thought it entirely acceptable to foist experimental methodologies on certain segments of the population back in the early days of this industry... They still think that way!

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
                                      Re: Comments: "S.C. has no say in youth centers..."
                                      « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 09:35:07 AM »
                                      Quote from: "Ursus"
                                      "Trying new medical breakthroughs out on these kids?" It's not hard to see how folks thought it entirely acceptable to foist experimental methodologies on certain segments of the population back in the early days of this industry... They still think that way!

Wow. I wonder how much undercurrent there was (is) in this regard. I'm sickened.

dragonfly

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29:05 AM »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                      escape from Palmetto Summerville Behavioral Health
                                      « Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 02:02:47 PM »
                                      From the above article in the OP, "S.C. has no say in youth centers...":

SUMMERVILLE -- Many residents were stunned to learn last week that a local youth treatment center was housing violent teens from outside South Carolina. How could this happen, they wondered.[/list][/size]
                                        The event that caused this realization was the escape of four teens from the privately run Palmetto Summerville Behavioral Health treatment facility on Wednesday, April 20th:

DHEC inspectors typically visit these facilities just once every two years unless a complaint is lodged, Berry said. Even then, they are looking at things such as staffing ratios, the dispensing of medication and treatment plans. They don't control admissions or security measures. These facilities are not required to report escapes; only hospitalizations and deaths, he said.

That doesn't sit well with some town officials following last week's escape of four violence-prone Washington, D.C., teens from Palmetto's 60-bed treatment center on Midland Parkway. One escapee who remains at large had reportedly been charged with attempted murder.
                                          [/list][/size]
                                          Here follow a few articles related to that incident, starting with the earliest one I could find in the Post and Courier Archives...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                                          Three teens in custody after escape, one still at large
                                          « Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 02:10:36 PM »
                                          The Post and Courier
                                          Three teens in custody after escape, one still at large

BY ANDY PARAS · [email protected]
                                          Originally published 08:28 a.m., April 21, 2011
                                          Updated 02:33 p.m., April 21, 2011

SUMMERVILLE — Three of the four Washington, D.C., teens who escaped from a behavioral health center were taken into custody in Dorchester County Thursday.

Washington, D.C., Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services officials said the four teens fled the Palmetto Summerville Behavioral Center on Midland Parkway at 6:12 p.m. Wednesday. Authorities said all four range in age of 17 to 19 years old and have a history of violence.

Authorities close to the investigation say the fourth teen still on the loose was committed to the center on an attempted murder charge.

Dorchester County Sheriff's deputies caught three of the teens on Dorchester Road near Appian Way about 9:30 a.m. and returned them to the behavioral health center, Maj. John Garrison said.

He said Delonte Parker, 19, is still at-large. Parker is described as a black male, 6-foot-2, 170 pounds.

The behavioral center is described as a 60-bed, secure placement facility that offers residential treatment programs for adolescent males with sexually aggressive behaviors, substance abuse problems and psychiatric, behavioral or conduct issues.

Summerville police Sgt. Cassandra Williams did not say how the teens escaped from the facility. Police radio traffic said the teens scaled a fence in the rear of the facility.

No one was hurt in the escape.

Williams said photos of the suspects were not immediately available because they were of poor quality.

A representative of the behavioral center could not be reached for comment.

Reach Andy Paras at 937-5589 or on twitter at twitter.com/andyparas.