Author Topic: You live or you die votes  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
You live or you die votes
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »
What propheet/workshop did this take place in?  If I remember correctly, we had to cast two "you die votes."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: You live or you die votes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
Quote from: "bobpeterson1973"
What propheet/workshop did this take place in?  If I remember correctly, we had to cast two "you die votes."
At Benchmark the lifeboat game was in the Friendship Workshop.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:59:36 PM »
The lifeboat exercise was in the Summit.  In mine, we got 3 votes each and could use them in any way we wanted.  We could have given multiple votes to a single person, we could have used them for our "survival".  I think that the number of votes was based on the number of people in your group.  I seem to remember that smaller peer groups had fewer votes.  3 people in my group were allowed to "survive".
n the road of experience...

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
The lifeboat/ "You Die" was used in the WWASP seminars as well.

I never thought this made any fucking sense... was it meant to teach you that life is really every man for himself or a petty popularity game?
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline mad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »
I'm not sure if there was a single thing they hoped we'd learn. And frankly, I don't know if I learned any great lesson.  It was more traumatic and sadistic than anything.   I do remember being totally shocked that we could have used the votes for ourselves.  When we talked about it later, it had never occurred to any of us in our peer group.  We were so caught up in who would live and who would die that none of us thought about how we might save ourselves.  It also never occurred to any of us to use multiple votes at the same time.
n the road of experience...

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:59:15 PM »
DayTop played that game to.  Another rainy day game that at least had no “therapeutic” pretext was murder in the dark. Aah good times…
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 07:11:45 PM »
I ruined the game when we played it.  I "jumped out" of the boat, sacrificing myself.  Staff asked me why, I told them "it's just a game".  They weren't very pleased, and didn't seem to know what to do. It wasn't in the script, apparently.  They moved on.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 10:28:20 PM »
I *believe*, or at least, based on what I was told by my therapist, that the lifeboat exercise, pre-lifespring, of course, was a simple exercise in team building and problem solving. It had nothing to do with any kind of serious butthurt or high drama at all.  It was to bring transparency to everyone's decision-making process in a "critical" situation where you were going to need to make unpopular choices. It was more along the lines of what you would see in a ropes course than a propheet. (and yes, I know we had the ropes course at RMA.) Normally they would have those sorts of things at camp and such. Maybe a business seminar.

The lifeboat from LGAT and RTCs had a similar premise only in terms of plot/story, from what I can tell. Everything else was pure fruitcakey duck farm.

Offline sek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 05:09:57 PM »
At Monarch it was called "The Pinnacle", also known as ' How can we find another word for Summit and then recopyright everything from CEDU/RMA?'

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 01:11:27 AM »
Quote from: "sek"
At Monarch it was called "The Pinnacle", also known as ' How can we find another word for Summit and then recopyright everything from CEDU/RMA?'

You do know that every staff from cedu is given a thesaurus as a gift when they go off to found their own school, right?

When I make my own TBS, I'm going to call the summit the "tippy top place".

I'd probably call the propheets "overnight thingys", and the workshops "many day thingys"

I don't really have any good ideas for what all of the names are for the other workshops and stuff, except I would probably call the IWTL "I'm screaming, oh fuck, I'm screaming"

As in: "I just got out of my 'I'm screaming, oh fuck, I'm screaming' overnight thingy."

or.. "I'm so nervous, I'm about to go into the Tippy Top Place many day thingy."

What? It could work.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 04:24:40 AM »
I have an idea. What if we documented every exercise in all those LGAT we have participated in.

Here in Denmark, I recognize some from various firm events where they were done with laughs and with a lot of beers. Less traumatic if you ask me. Perhaps something could be learned, but most of the message got lost when the food got on the table.

Together with some advices how to make short cuts and hints (like it is allowed to vote for yourself) it could ease the torment for generations to come.

The awareness page has some of the exercises on their page spoiling the plot.

The wiki could use a single article about every seminar until another solution are available.

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
At T-lawn, it was pretty much weekly. That was how you got your privileges. I just quit putting in for much. Maybe one call a week to my parents and that was it. I know it was not the SAME, but imagine going through that BS weekly. It just repeated my family experiences, and this was supposed to cure me of depression? Righto.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 03:27:36 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"
I *believe*, or at least, based on what I was told by my therapist, that the lifeboat exercise, pre-lifespring, of course, was a simple exercise in team building and problem solving. It had nothing to do with any kind of serious butthurt or high drama at all.  It was to bring transparency to everyone's decision-making process in a "critical" situation where you were going to need to make unpopular choices. It was more along the lines of what you would see in a ropes course than a propheet. (and yes, I know we had the ropes course at RMA.) Normally they would have those sorts of things at camp and such. Maybe a business seminar.

The lifeboat from LGAT and RTCs had a similar premise only in terms of plot/story, from what I can tell. Everything else was pure fruitcakey duck farm.

This goes way beyond just a team buillding exercise, when you take into consideration the lack of sleep,food, and sanity.  They were trying to convince us that we wern't worthy to live.  I've done real inptiative games and let me tell you, they never made me cry.