Author Topic: Wow, obama is going to win  (Read 18358 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Wow, obama is going to win
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2009, 06:19:44 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Parents really have to do some homework,work with local services.  There are some who trust the first person to come along and that is dangerous.

Is it any less dangerous to trust the second or third?  How is a parent supposed to know if an educational consultant is taking kickbacks for placements?

The child should be part of the process as much as possible, but the parents have the legal and moral duty to do what is best for their children.

Does that include forced treatment?  Even if statistically it's likely to do more harm than good?  What about working with the child to choose a therapist who can figure out what is causing the rebellious behavior and/or work to calm the fears of the parents?

Does forcing another person to accept they have a problem work in the long run?  Can it be misused?  In my experiences, many programs only let a child progress if they confess to problems (often ones they don't' actually have.. these confessions are then used to justify more time in treatment to the parents).  Another problem with that is that kids without problems can end up actually believing they do (consider the experiments of Solomon Asch in this regard...  and multiply that by 24/7 and a lot more than just social pressure).

I feel that communication should be limited, but there should be access for emergencies.

And what is the possible benefit of that, compared to the dangers?  Abusive programs rely on the practice of restricting communication.  Considering history and what has happened in the past, is there really anything at all that can justify interfering with complete unrestricted contact with parents?

That’s why it is very important to access the child before he/she is accepted into aprogram.

But who does that assessment process?  Is it a medical professional?  One qualified to make diagnoses? A second opinion?

There is no sense in wasting a childs time and parents money if there is no real need.

But what constitutes "real need".  It's all fairly subjective and very relative to how scared the parents are.  This is why there needs to be an objective viewpoint determining whether or not a child really has a problem and whether the best course of action is a form of treatment (and objective does not mean paid for by the program/referral service which has a vested interest in slanting the diagnosis one way).

In any case. I'm personally against any forced treatment, but I don't expect parents to accept that.  I do, however, like to make the point that forced treatment is unlikely to work.  If a person has a problem, they have to admit it.  Nobody can do it for them.  A problem will either get better spontaniously (most likely) or it will get worse until a person hits "bottom".  Treatment of any sort is unlikely to help in the latter case and it's likely to hurt in the former, as a child with a fragile ego takes on the identity of an "addict" with a "progressive disease" over which he is "powerless".  Interfering with that natural course is often more dangerous than the substances themselves.  Taking away a person's freedom and, indeed free will, is a serious matter, often with lifelong consequences.

It has been Good talking with you, Michael,  I have to run,talk to you later.  Didnt expect this conversation on fornits,no offense.

None taken.  I try to be diplomatic, even with those I disagree with.  Good talking to you too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2009, 12:42:30 AM »
I just got back from a dinner party and maybe wrote a little too much here, but I enjoyed responding, sorry for the length
Quote from: "psy"
Is it any less dangerous to trust the second or third? How is a parent supposed to know if an educational consultant is taking kickbacks for placements?
Most people who are ready to drop $6,000 a month know that no one works for free and if the Educational consultant isn’t asking them for money then they know they get paid for each placement.  Based on this they should be working with several consultants and also working with a local therapist to help guide them.

Does that include forced treatment?
Forced treatment isn’t necessarily bad in every case.  The child may be reluctant to go at first  but may start to see that things are better after a week or month.

Even if statistically it's likely to do more harm than good?
If it were more likely that the child would fail than I would never approve the placement.

What about working with the child to choose a therapist who can figure out what is causing the rebellious behavior and/or work to calm the fears of the parents?
This is always the first option.  The parents need to seek out an advocate for the child which is typically a child therapist.  Many times the therapist sees issues at home being part of the childs problem and tries to get the family into counselling to see if there can be a solution on the local level.

Does forcing another person to accept they have a problem work in the long run?
No, I have never seen this to be successful.  You cannot confront a young person and bully them into thinking they have a problem.  The best way is to expose them to choices and show them a different path.  Let them experience it by removing access to destructive habits.

Can it be misused? In my experiences, many programs only let a child progress if they confess to problems (often ones they don't' actually have.. these confessions are then used to justify more time in treatment to the parents).
I have found this is more a problem with lack of training in staff.  The staff level people should not be working directly with the childrens issues, at all period, or giving advice on how to resolve problems.  The children can work with staff within a group situation to discuss generic topics and how they feel within social situations and work on items which affect the kids within the dynamics of the schools day to day operations like class time, group,lunch,dinner times,social conflicts etc.

Another problem with that is that kids without problems can end up actually believing they do (consider the experiments of Solomon Asch in this regard... and multiply that by 24/7 and a lot more than just social pressure).
This should be resolved prior to acceptance.  I do realize that there are kids that try to out do each other and fabricate stories just because they feel really stupid for being placed there for just smoking pot so they may say something that isn’t true just to fit in better.

And what is the possible benefit of that, compared to the dangers? Abusive programs rely on the practice of restricting communication. Considering history and what has happened in the past, is there really anything at all that can justify interfering with complete unrestricted contact with parents?
I definitely feel that restricted communication is justified in the majority of the kids who are placed.  There are so many people who are ready to undermine the childs therapy,  the uncle who has too many secrets and calls to remind the kid to remain silent about their relationship or else.  The drug dealer or best friend who wants to call every day to give an update on what is happening, who is getting high with what and who is sleeping with his or her ex.  The ex divorced parent who calls every day to express that the child doesn’t have to be there because their father/mother is an idiot, reminding the child that the other parent doesn’t really love them... how could a young person concentrate with all this going on, underminding their work?

But who does that assessment process? Is it a medical professional? One qualified to make diagnoses? A second opinion?
The assessment should be done by an independent.  Most metropolitan areas have a hospital that can perform a 24 hour observation and assessment on a child.

But what constitutes "real need". It's all fairly subjective and very relative to how scared the parents are.
This is true,  some parents are stressed out and will deliver their child anywhere,check in hand, if you could just give them a solution which will be successful and keep their child safe.

This is why there needs to be an objective viewpoint determining whether or not a child really has a problem and whether the best course of action is a form of treatment (and objective does not mean paid for by the program/referral service which has a vested interest in slanting the diagnosis one way).
Agreed, that is why I suggest a local hospital to perform a 24 hour observation and assessment alone with the childs therapist to collaborate.

In any case. I'm personally against any forced treatment, but I don't expect parents to accept that. I do, however, like to make the point that forced treatment is unlikely to work. If a person has a problem, they have to admit it. Nobody can do it for them. A problem will either get better spontaniously (most likely) or it will get worse until a person hits "bottom".

Forced is a gray area.  What if a child doesn’t want to take swimming lessons but the parent insists (with the knowledge that if the child really throws a nuty they will be pulled) and after the child is actually physically picked up and placed in the water he sees it is not too bad, meets friends and enjoys the lessons in subsequent weeks.  Would this be considered forced treatment?  This happened to my oldest son at age 5 and after being picked up and carried into the water he enjoyed it.  Was that 20 seconds abusive?  Maybe, but I don’t consider it to be abuse personally.
The child may not like the program the first few days or weeks but may take to it over time and see the benefits

Treatment of any sort is unlikely to help in the latter case and it's likely to hurt in the former, as a child with a fragile ego takes on the identity of an "addict" with a "progressive disease" over which he is "powerless".
Interfering with that natural course is often more dangerous than the substances themselves. Taking away a person's freedom and, indeed free will, is a serious matter, often with lifelong consequences.
If a child is dabbling in drugs then he she is unlikely to be placed in a program.  Most parents I have spoken to are at their wits end with children who are extremely destructive.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
Quote from: "KathyS"
Most people who are ready to drop $6,000 a month know that no one works for free and if the Educational consultant isn’t asking them for money then they know they get paid for each placement.  Based on this they should be working with several consultants and also working with a local therapist to help guide them.

LOL.  So buyer beware, right?  I can empathize with that position but at the same time, right now it's absolute open season on parents.  Maybe parents should put 2 and 2 together when ed-cons are charging little, but many don't in their rush and stress.  Also.  Consider Sue Scheff.  She claims to just be a "parent helping parents" (to avoid a bad placement).  That being said, until very very recently (after she was sued for her referrals to Focal Point) her website had no mention that she took kickbacks from schools.  Indeed, as revealed in the WWASP vs PURE transcripts, there was a time where she was explictly lying to parents about this practice.  Based on how she represents herself, it's fair to assume that most parents think that she's independantly wealthy and just operating her "free" referral business to avoid a repetition of her own bad experience.

But you sort of missed my point.  Is there a way for a parent to know for sure that an educational consultant is not taking compensation for referrals?

Forced treatment isn’t necessarily bad in every case.  The child may be reluctant to go at first  but may start to see that things are better after a week or month.

I've never seen or head of a program where admitting a problem wasn't an absolute requirement for advancement in the program.  With no due process and often no medical diagnosis and/or second opinion, it stands to reason that a good portion of kids confess (and actually believe) problems they don't actually have.  I've seen it happen with my own eyes.

No, I have never seen this to be successful.  You cannot confront a young person and bully them into thinking they have a problem.

Well.  Just to be clear, you can do that.  It just generally doesn't stick for long after graduating the program.

Can it be misused? In my experiences, many programs only let a child progress if they confess to problems (often ones they don't' actually have.. these confessions are then used to justify more time in treatment to the parents).
I have found this is more a problem with lack of training in staff.  The staff level people should not be working directly with the childrens issues, at all period, or giving advice on how to resolve problems.  The children can work with staff within a group situation to discuss generic topics and how they feel within social situations and work on items which affect the kids within the dynamics of the schools day to day operations like class time, group,lunch,dinner times,social conflicts etc.

That's the marketing, yes, but i've never actually see that truly happen.  If you know of a program where this is actually practiced, by all means list it.

Another problem with that is that kids without problems can end up actually believing they do (consider the experiments of Solomon Asch in this regard... and multiply that by 24/7 and a lot more than just social pressure).
This should be resolved prior to acceptance.  I do realize that there are kids that try to out do each other and fabricate stories just because they feel really stupid for being placed there for just smoking pot so they may say something that isn’t true just to fit in better.

But it's not just fabrication.  There comes a point when you believe it (under pressure).

And what is the possible benefit of that, compared to the dangers? Abusive programs rely on the practice of restricting communication. Considering history and what has happened in the past, is there really anything at all that can justify interfering with complete unrestricted contact with parents?
I definitely feel that restricted communication is justified in the majority of the kids who are placed.  There are so many people who are ready to undermine the childs therapy,  the uncle who has too many secrets and calls to remind the kid to remain silent about their relationship or else.  The drug dealer or best friend who wants to call every day to give an update on what is happening, who is getting high with what and who is sleeping with his or her ex.  The ex divorced parent who calls every day to express that the child doesn’t have to be there because their father/mother is an idiot, reminding the child that the other parent doesn’t really love them... how could a young person concentrate with all this going on, underminding their work?

But I didn't say extended families (and certainly not drug dealers).  I said "unrestricted contact with parents".  Considering history and what has happened in the past, is there really anything at all that can justify interfering with that?

This is why there needs to be an objective viewpoint determining whether or not a child really has a problem and whether the best course of action is a form of treatment (and objective does not mean paid for by the program/referral service which has a vested interest in slanting the diagnosis one way).
Agreed, that is why I suggest a local hospital to perform a 24 hour observation and assessment alone with the childs therapist to collaborate.

Wow.  You are the first educational consultant I have EVER heard suggest such a thing.  EVER.  I know a lot of parents who call up referral services with fake kids and frivolous issues and they have never heard such a thing.  Forgive me if i'm skeptical.

Can you name me a program that doesn't admit kids for things like "ADD/ADHD" or "depression" or "disrespectful" and so on?

Forced is a gray area.  What if a child doesn’t want to take swimming lessons but the parent insists (with the knowledge that if the child really throws a nuty they will be pulled) and after the child is actually physically picked up and placed in the water he sees it is not too bad, meets friends and enjoys the lessons in subsequent weeks.  Would this be considered forced treatment?  This happened to my oldest son at age 5 and after being picked up and carried into the water he enjoyed it.  Was that 20 seconds abusive?  Maybe, but I don’t consider it to be abuse personally.
The child may not like the program the first few days or weeks but may take to it over time and see the benefits

The problem there is that many programs operate more like thought reform (brainwashing) environments.  Have you ever asked yourself how kids could come out of the most abusive programs exclaiming "the program saved my life!"  and so forth?  Anecdotal, short term, testimonials are not evidence of efficacy.  They're evidence of how a person views the program.  In that respect, it is nearly impossible to distinguish (without knowing the right questions) whether or not an experiences was truly helpful, or whether abuse has simply been reframed as "therapy".  When Interviewing kids recently out of programs, I don't ask questions like "were you abused".  I ask questions like "how did the staff help you to realize you had a problem" (and follow up for details).  You'd often be shocked at what you hear.

If a child is dabbling in drugs then he she is unlikely to be placed in a program.  Most parents I have spoken to are at their wits end with children who are extremely destructive.

And how many of those have had a medical opinion on the subject?
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2009, 08:33:07 PM »
I see here that Psy has been posing you questions, that may be in part his diplomacy or possibly just to identify your intentions, for which I must give him respect. But heres the thing, based on your answers it is clear that you are extremely misguided on your view of the programs. Psy may have interjected his experience from time to time but I feel it more necessary to point out from my experience as well as many others who were subjected to the WWASP system that MOST of what you believe about these programs is simply wrong. I dont mean that as an insult to your character nor your intelligence, because as we all know many parents turned ed-cons are successfully misguided by the programs. Heres my issue here, as a parent or an outside supporter (like an ed con) you have no REAL way to see for yourself if the programs A: Provide healthy and appropriate treatment for the numerous adolescent "problems" they claim to treat, B: Provide sufficient medical services, an Educational system that at least meets US standards, and an environment that is safe and meets US health and safety codes, C: Methods used in the program that provide for success after the program ie: If the program works and finally, D: Ethical child protective practices. In MOST cases, these fundamental requirements are NOT met, and any significant changes that comes out of a stay in a WWASP program is usually because the kid is there so long that they naturally mature. I'm telling you this out of first hand experience not only with the program but as well with keeping in contact with hundreds of people who went to the programs and how they, anywhere from 2 to 10 years later feel about their experience in the program. These are not all anti-program people either, most have never shown the slightest bit of interest in joining the fight against the programs however they have told me many many stories of how the program wronged them and their families and how they all believe it was a waste of time and money. Not to mention you are widely misinformed about the after effects of a program... I will get into that as I comment below.

For the most part all I say is, do some research yourself... do some surveying ... ask neutral people who went to programs more than 2 years ago how they feel about the program, and if they were satisfied. Talk to survivors about their experiences and talk to their parents about their satisfaction with how the program worked after their child came home. Its true that not all programs were like casa by the sea, High Impact and Tranquility Bay, but the fact that you are appalled by what you have heard about these programs yet you still refer to WWASP is very suspect to your judgment and only suggests that you are forfeiting your concious for the money that you receive from WWASP to fill up their programs. Not to mention that the ONLY difference between the US programs and the Foreign programs is that in the US they arent allowed to beat the children. That is the ONLY difference when the usual psychological abuse, force, fear, unqualified staff and a piss poor Med, Ed and program system are still employed at these programs. What most parents and Ed cons assume is that if they are charging so much money they MUST be a good school, but the problem is that these schools are completely un-regulated so no, they dont HAVE to do anything. Only thing they have to do is make it seem like they are doing something right by treating your kid so badly they act significantly grateful when they come home. As well, In the program they are threatened with punishment, isolation, loss of privledges and the time it takes to get home if they admit in their monitored phone calls or letters home anything bad about the program, it isnt until after they are 18 (and depending on if their parent is willing to listen and believe them) that they will tell you about how the program was not a healthy place to live. But in the time it takes them to deprogram, and realize what happened was actually psychological abuse the kid will probably have already returned back to drugs (or other unhealthy ways) and broken ties with their parents, or sometimes committed suicide. The cause of which is rarely realized by program parents to be because they did not receive proper treatment in the program at all, even though what happened to a kid in a program is usually main reason it happens in the first place! Most kids I knew in CBS had barely experimented with alcohol and 5-8 years after the program they have done every drug in the book. WHY? because the program didnt teach them ABOUT drugs, their effects and how they can ruin their life, the program simply made each girl believe they were an addict and if they didnt accept the program they were going to die. This is most likely the reason that most teens after graduating and given the time it takes to deprogram, realize they would rather live their life even into an early grave than to live their life in the fear and guilt that the program held over their head.

I think the fact that a program gives a teen time to separate themselves from the outside world and the people who were leading them into drugs and other temptations is a good thing, I think it gives the child time to make up their own mind about what they want for their life and I strongly believe that if a program were to operate a COMPLETELY different system it COULD be effective. Unfortunately, WWASP and many many other programs do not utilize a program that is either healthy, helpful nor ethically sound and the fact that you support these kinds of places only reflects badly upon you your judgment and your character.

Quote from: "Psy"

Forced "treatment" is different then paying to have your child incarcerated in a private prison. If a child is reluctant to treatment such as therapy, or extremely necessary drug treatment or family counseling I can understand a strong parenting hand in the matter. But when you are essentially taking their lives and future into your hands and making such a grossly misguided and completely unethical choice for them, I think they have the right to at least be able to tell you "No, this place is not for me". Things really don't get "better" in the program, no kid suddenly realizes that they deserved to be locked up and abused, that is simply the brainwashing, and the fear of being punished or singled out starting to kick in. You can believe the facade if you choose, but considering how unlikely that actuality is, I would be suspecious at that point.

If it were more likely that the child would fail than I would never approve the placement.

So Kathy, How many paying parents have you had to tell... "Your son is simply being a normal rebellious teenager, smoking weed is not going to kill him, perhaps your abrasive parenting and gross overreaction is the case is what is causing your child to pull away from you"

I garrentee NONE. They are paying you to find a private prison and no matter what they say their child is doing or what problems they have you will find one that is willing to pay you a finders fee. The fact is that the programs as a whole do more harm than good to MOST children, that means normal rebellious kids, kids with mental disorders, kids with real addictions and kids with problems that the program only claims to address however DOES NOT. The only kids that do seem to be "helped" are those who were before experimenting with more drugs than a usual teenager and getting into more trouble, yet do not have a real addiction problem nor any mental disorders. There were only a few girls like this in my school, the rest (including me) were incorrectly placed by clueless Ed-con artists.

No, I have never seen this to be successful.  You cannot confront a young person and bully them into thinking they have a problem.  The best way is to expose them to choices and show them a different path.  Let them experience it by removing access to destructive habits.

What your saying here is that you disagree with the ONLY form of "treatment" that exists in the program. In the program you were either diagnosed a drug addict or you hadn't tried drugs yet but your parents caught you before you became an addict. There was no drug education, there were no "choices to a different path" and the last thing they did was teach us WHY we should choose not to do drugs in the future. The reason I don't do drugs is because I learned, after doing drugs that it wasted my time and ability to succeed in life. All the program said was "stay away from non-working people" as if isolating myself would make the decision for me, No, people need to decide for themselves what they want for their life, that is the only way that any real changes come to light.

I have found this is more a problem with lack of training in staff.

Darling, in my school the only thing the staff was there for was to beat down the kids if they didnt follow directions. The program, the system that we learned was passed down through the previous generations of upper level girls which made this especially unhealthy, because it was a popularity game mixed with encouraged bullying and peer pressure. We called it "the game" once you learned how to play the game you got levels and finally got out, it wasnt about change, it wasnt about making different choices, it was about learning the jargon and saying what others wanted to hear so that you would be accepted into the group that would ALLOW you to go home.

Thats a nice theory, lol and funny too because you admit that there are kids that are recommended to be incarcerated by Ed-con-artists simply because they smoke weed. But kids didnt make up stories because they felt stupid for being put in a program for nothing, kids made up stories because when they said things like "I smoked weed a few times" they would be attacked by the upperlevels and forced to confess more. This is ONLY because they needed to be able to tell the parents that their son or daughter deserved to be incarcerated and that if they didnt complete the program they would die. leading of course to that famous saying "the program saved my son/daughters life", which has been proven statistically (and by simple common sense) to be a completely UNTRUE statement.

Abusive programs rely on the practice of restricting communication. Considering history and what has happened in the past, is there really anything at all that can justify interfering with complete unrestricted contact with parents?

False. Completely False. I can understand restricting letters or phone calls from friends but what Psy is referring to is that the contact with the parents is restricted and monitored and it shouldn't be. There is no reason for that besides the fact that they are making sure that the kid isnt telling the parents things they dont know about the program or telling them that they want to leave. On the same subject children NEED to be able to access child protective services and they are not allowed to do this. This is the biggest RED FLAG in a program, even the inmates in a maximum security prison are allowed their right to private counsel and these children should most definately be given the same rights. The fact that they dont allow this ONLY means that they have something to hide and that they are controlling and mistreating these kids and making them feel hopeless about it because there is no way that they can cry for help without receiving MORE abuse.

But who does that assessment process? Is it a medical professional? One qualified to make diagnoses? A second opinion?
The assessment should be done by an independent.  Most metropolitan areas have a hospital that can perform a 24 hour observation and assessment on a child.

So, do you recommend any independent admissions agencies? any private doctors that could do that assessment? or do they not pay your kick back fees? DO you even recommend that parents seek them out on their own? I know for a fact that Ed-cons DO NOT because had I been seen by an independent doctor who was aware of the way the program I was supposed to go to operated they would have suggested I DID NOT go. Reason being is because I have ADD and Bipolar, futhermore I did not use drugs before the program, only smoked weed a few times and got drunk twice. The way that the rules at CBS were set up it was impossible for me to advance in the system and any educated person would be able to point that out. Unfortunately the woman who conned my mother was not educated and was most likely only making her recommendation based on the money she would get for my placement.

Please make note of this program that is offered in a local hospital, because I am more than positive this doesnt exist. Unless you are talking about a mental hospital, in that case... You've got your head screwed on backwards.

Treatment of any sort is unlikely to help in the latter case and it's likely to hurt in the former, as a child with a fragile ego takes on the identity of an "addict" with a "progressive disease" over which he is "powerless".
Interfering with that natural course is often more dangerous than the substances themselves. Taking away a person's freedom and, indeed free will, is a serious matter, often with lifelong consequences.

Again, these kids are few and far between. Mostly the problem is the parents are freaking out and this is the only option they choose because these programs are the only places that will lock a teen up simply based on what their parents diagnose them as and without due process or consent of the child and their other family members, and usually that means their other parent as well. These programs act outside the law and violate every human right that a child has in America, and uses only the loophole of parental rights to be free to abolish the personal rights of the child. It is wrong, no matter how many kids graduate and seem "changed" for a matter of a few months, the process that the program uses is unethical and statistically is unsuccessful so I whole-heartedly believe that the ends NEVER justify the means when it comes to WWASP and many many other programs.

Im sorry to sound harsh here Kathy but It angers me how many people just dont get it, and refuse to see things from a different angle, try the angle of someone who experienced it first hand. You people blow us off all the time, you assume we are lying or exaggerating and put us down for our courage to speak out and save lives. I have very little respect or sympathy with those who choose to support WWASP, and my patience is thin because I have heard every programized cookie cutter argument a thousand times and they never really get any less ignorant. I wont go so far as to say YOU are them, but I will say there is so much that you don't know, or refuse to believe and your choice to support these programs enough to refer kids makes me question your ability to neutrally assess a situation and do whats truly "helpful" for a family. Personally, my opinion is that your paycheck means more to you than truly helping people.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »
I just got back from a dinner party and maybe wrote a little too much here, but I enjoyed responding, sorry for the length

Is it any less dangerous to trust the second or third? How is a parent supposed to know if an educational consultant is taking kickbacks for placements?

Great, so they can give even more money to people you are allied with. I was referred by a therapist to CEDU the most abusive program in the business after being diagnosed with an illness that probably doesn't exist: ODD.
And where is the accountability for you monsters who refer “normal” kids to abusive programs, that prevents you from doing it again? And you know residential treatment is only advised by the AMA when an individual is an immediate danger to themselves or others, and then only until the emergency passes.

Guess that’s something you forget to tell "parents,”eh?

You know the study where 12 "normal" Harvard students all checked themselves into a psychiatric hospital and EVERY ONE was given a diagnosis. You know 9xs out of 10 ANY kid taken to a therapist will be given a dx, especially when they come with copious complaints from the parents. You know all this, so your insinuation that therapist-use will  safeguard against abduction and imprisonment for kids who are not seriously mentally ill is a lie, and you know it.

Quote from: "PSY"

Quote from: "childmurdererformoney"

Same thing happened to Elizabeth Smart. At first she had to literally be abducted from her bedroom to consent to entering treatment with the crazy homeless man! But in a month’s time, when the police tried to rescue her, she insisted she was the crazy homeless man’s wife and didn't want to leave! He had "saved" her from a life of sin!  Amazing what you can make someone believe by isolating, torturing, and terrorizing them, child murderer!

Oops. Then why are you referring? There has never been one study produced to prove these places do anything than destroy people. And it has been proved that residential treatment (in real hospitals, not bemod torture centers) for longer than a short period of time causes damage to the patient. Considering the statistics how do you justify yourself. Oh yeah, you have no bankable skills and ya gotta make a living somehow!

how do you know if the kids you refer "fail"? Do you keep tabs on them and statistics? Are they autheticated in some way, or is there any proof you don't simply "make them up"? Where can I acess these figures? Oh, yeah. I can't! They don't exist!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »
What about working with the child to choose a therapist who can figure out what is causing the rebellious behavior and/or work to calm the fears of the parents?

This is always the first option.  The parents need to seek out an advocate for the child which is typically a child therapist.  Many times the therapist sees issues at home being part of the childs problem and tries to get the family into counselling to see if there can be a solution on the local level.

"Try" counsling? Why should therapy for the abusive family only be the “first option”? Why should the failure of abusive or mentally ill parents to get their act together be something a kid is punished for in the form of imprisonment without due process in conditions that are illegal to force on criminals in maximum security prison?

Why doesn't the youth deserve due process, you grotesque, bigoted slaver? Why don’t humans under 18 only deserve HUMAN RIGHTS, instead of OPTIONS for their “owners.”?

Oh yeah, you couldn’t earn cash for bodies that way!

No, I have never seen this to be successful.  You cannot confront a young person and bully them into thinking they have a problem. Let them experience it by removing access to destructive habits.

OK. You makes no sense. But, you seem to be advocating prison to safe-guarding kids from the possibility of "bad choices." But in prison, kids will continue to make choices, just ones in reaction to an extremely abusive, deprived and depraved environment.

You are also replacing the possibility of "bad choices" with the certainty of deep emotional, physiological, and psychological damage.

As much as you pretty up abduction and imprisonment with the terms "escort" and "intervention," those are horrific crimes of violence against vulnerable adolescents who will suffer major and, “statistically” speaking, permanent mental and quality of life damage because of them.

And we just established that kids have problems because their parents are abusive/mentally ill, remember? Therefore, it’s not the kids “choice's” that were the problem, their problem was the environment they were trapped in!

You are also assuming the kid was even making "bad" choices. Remember, crazy abusive parents? These people put kids in not because of their choices but because of their inability, disinterest with dealing with a normal, wonderful kid.

P.S. kids are supposed to make “bad choices,” you brute. That’s what being a human means. Being a parent means responding to those choices with tolerance, love, guidance, not disappearing them from the world so “bad choices” are not an option (while other people can see them, anyway)

I hope you are sued.  I count the minutes, slave dealer.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 08:43:32 AM »
Oh my!  There is a lot to respond to.  I didn’t expect to take up this much space.  I apologize for being so slow.  I will respond to  the others after this one.
Is there a way for a parent to know for sure that an educational consultant is not taking compensation for referrals?
No, I suppose consultants could be unethical like any other business, parents just need to be careful or make sure their consultant is affiliated with a respectable group.

I've never seen or head of a program where admitting a problem wasn't an absolute requirement for advancement in the program. With no due process and often no medical diagnosis and/or second opinion, it stands to reason that a good portion of kids confess (and actually believe) problems they don't actually have. I've seen it happen with my own eyes.
All the kids that I have ever seen had a diagnosis of some type or had seen a specialist(s) before going to any specialty school.  The kids all know why they are there and are working individual issues.

I said:The children can work with staff within a group situation to discuss generic topics and how they feel within social situations and work on items which affect the kids within the dynamics of the schools day to day operations like class time, group,lunch,dinner times,social conflicts etc.

Michael said: That's the marketing, yes, but i've never actually see that truly happen. If you know of a program where this is actually practiced, by all means list it.
I do not know where you wnet to but if it was a specialty school or therapeutic school then they would have a resident therapist or private therapist which would see the children.  The staff is there to run “group” activities and keep the kids safe and busy with activities which are healthy.

I said "unrestricted contact with parents". Considering history and what has happened in the past, is there really anything at all that can justify interfering with that?
For a short adjustment period of a few weeks I don’t see any problem with it.  You need to remember that most of these kids didn’t talk to their parents for weeks/months on end anyway (in any positive communicable way)!  A few more isn’t going to effect the natural bond between them.
I had a parent once who was concerned that the school was not up to the academic standards of the private school they were presently attending.  I asked the parents how many days has the child attended the school in the last month.  The point is that you can be enrolled in the best school in the country but if you don’t attend or apply yourself then its all for nothing.

I Said: Agreed, that is why I suggest a local hospital to perform a 24 hour observation and assessment alone with the childs therapist to collaborate.

Michael said: Wow. You are the first educational consultant I have EVER heard suggest such a thing. EVER. I know a lot of parents who call up referral services with fake kids and frivolous issues and they have never heard such a thing. Forgive me if i'm skeptical.

Can you name me a program that doesn't admit kids for things like "ADD/ADHD" or "depression" or "disrespectful" and so on?
I don’t feel my view is unique.  Maybe some schools would take a child who was just being disrespectful, but I don’t think the average educational consultant would suggest a family take this path without having the child evaluated.  I think if someone told you this there was probably more going on then just disrespect or ADD.

The problem there is that many programs operate more like thought reform (brainwashing) environments. Have you ever asked yourself how kids could come out of the most abusive programs exclaiming "the program saved my life!" and so forth? Anecdotal, short term, testimonials are not evidence of efficacy. They're evidence of how a person views the program. In that respect, it is nearly impossible to distinguish (without knowing the right questions) whether or not an experiences was truly helpful, or whether abuse has simply been reframed as "therapy". When Interviewing kids recently out of programs, I don't ask questions like "were you abused". I ask questions like "how did the staff help you to realize you had a problem" (and follow up for details). You'd often be shocked at what you hear.
Depends on how far the child has come.  If the child was in a really bad place and knew he/she was in a bad place and the school turned them around then they would be more apt to say it “saved their life”.  Most kids just come out better off and move on with their lives.  As far as the interviewing goes it really depends on the person doing the interview.  If a person was against specialty schools the questions would lead more in that direction.  If the interview was conducted on the same child by a staff member from one of the schools then the results would be different.  But I do appreaciate what you mean and I am aware of that.

Offline TheWho

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 09:37:58 AM »
Femanonfetal you stated a lot and I apologize for not addressing everything.   For the most part I believe you have a very cynical view of what these schools do for these families and lack some understanding on why they do what they do.  I don’t know if I will be able to address all of your points.
I always believe that you need to approach each child independently.  Some kids are just going thru a tough time which can be resolved thru local services like a counselor or a good child therapist.  I have seen many kids before and after attending many of these schools and I can tell you that they are affective.  I have spoken to parents.  Some of the kids come out and go right back to drugs or bad habits which is unfortunate.  Maybe the child didnt apply themselves properly.  I understand that not all the schools are 100% effective and that there are some bad ones out there.  I feel good in the fact that I don’t support these institutions and have the childs best interest first.  

Quote from: "FemanonFatal2.0"
Most kids I knew in CBS had barely experimented with alcohol and 5-8 years after the program they have done every drug in the book. WHY? because the program didnt teach them ABOUT drugs, their effects and how they can ruin their life, the program simply made each girl believe they were an addict and if they didnt accept the program they were going to die. This is most likely the reason that most teens after graduating and given the time it takes to deprogram, realize they would rather live their life even into an early grave than to live their life in the fear and guilt that the program held over their head.
Most of the schools I have dealt with have a well defined program which talks about drugs and substance awareness.  I don’t think teaching them about drugs is damaging.  If the child wasnot in a program he/she would have learned about it on the streets and probably would not get all the facts.  A drug dealer isn’t going to tell you about the down side of each drug he sells. Or side effect.

Forced "treatment" is different then paying to have your child incarcerated in a private prison. If a child is reluctant to treatment such as therapy, or extremely necessary drug treatment or family counseling I can understand a strong parenting hand in the matter. But when you are essentially taking their lives and future into your hands and making such a grossly misguided and completely unethical choice for them, I think they have the right to at least be able to tell you "No, this place is not for me". Things really don't get "better" in the program, no kid suddenly realizes that they deserved to be locked up and abused, that is simply the brainwashing, and the fear of being punished or singled out starting to kick in. You can believe the facade if you choose, but considering how unlikely that actuality is, I would be suspecious at that point.
I see your point but sometimes the child will reject  any help at all no matter how reasonable and the parents need to take a strong stance.

So Kathy, How many paying parents have you had to tell... "Your son is simply being a normal rebellious teenager, smoking weed is not going to kill him, perhaps your abrasive parenting and gross overreaction is the case is what is causing your child to pull away from you"

I garrentee NONE. They are paying you to find a private prison......

Your a little out of your expertise here.  You would not believe the conversations I have with parents.  A good part of my jab is calming them down and getting them to chat a little bit about the challenges of raising a teenager and getting to understand each families unique challenge.  I am not trying to find a private prison but trying to find a place which will release the child from the private prison they have built for themselves.  Many of these kids are  living in hell.  You would have no idea the lives these kids lead prior to getting help.

False. Completely False. I can understand restricting letters or phone calls from friends but what Psy is referring to is that the contact with the parents is restricted and monitored and it shouldn't be. There is no reason for that besides the fact that they are making sure that the kid isnt telling the parents things they dont know about the program or telling them that they want to leave. On the same subject children NEED to be able to access child protective services and they are not allowed to do this. This is the biggest RED FLAG in a program, even the inmates in a maximum security prison are allowed their right to private counsel and these children should most definately be given the same rights. The fact that they dont allow this ONLY means that they have something to hide and that they are controlling and mistreating these kids and making them feel hopeless about it because there is no way that they can cry for help without receiving MORE abuse.
You seem to be misguided by your views on these schools.  No one is going to restrict a child from using a phone if there is an emergency.  Communication is greatly reduced for a good reason.  You cannot have kids running around with phones and ipods like they do in public schools.  Look at the reulsts there.  The kids get to talk to their parents probably more than they did when they were home and they get to focus on some real issues which will lead to re-establishing the family bond which has been damaged.
Your language of parents wanting to “lock their kids up” tells me that you have a narrow view of the industry.  Maybe you had a friend who felt their parents wanted to get rid of them or have them locked up, which I can understand.  Growing up we called our school “The Vault” because the windows were so high we couldn’t see out when sitting at our desks.  So if kids say they were “locked up” you should try to understand it from their point of view and not be shocked by the terminology.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
“Post me”.  Why come out and attack me for what I do?  I understand that you had a bad experience but not all therapists, staff members and educational consultants are the same.  I get enormous satisfaction in what I do and I sacrificed a lot of my personal life to get to where I am.
You know the study where 12 "normal" Harvard students all checked themselves into a psychiatric hospital and EVERY ONE was given a diagnosis. You know 9xs out of 10 ANY kid taken to a therapist will be given a dx, especially when they come with copious complaints from the parents. You know all this, so your insinuation that therapist-use will safeguard against abduction and imprisonment for kids who are not seriously mentally ill is a lie, and you know it.
Any child can go to the doctor or therapist and manipulate them.  I have had many instances where a child has been able to get pain medication from doctors for a fake illness.  Eventually the doctor catches on so, yes, the doctors can be fooled, but not for very long.

Same thing happened to Elizabeth Smart. At first she had to literally be abducted from her bedroom to consent to entering treatment with the crazy homeless man! But in a month’s time, when the police tried to rescue her, she insisted she was the crazy homeless man’s wife and didn't want to leave! He had "saved" her from a life of sin! Amazing what you can make someone believe by isolating, torturing, and terrorizing them, child murderer!
I don’t see how this relates to a boarding school and I do remember that Elizabeth Smart was not murdered.  You have confused this story with another one.

Oops. Then why are you referring? There has never been one study produced to prove these places do anything than destroy people. And it has been proved that residential treatment (in real hospitals, not bemod torture centers) for longer than a short period of time causes damage to the patient. Considering the statistics how do you justify yourself. Oh yeah, you have no bankable skills and ya gotta make a living somehow!
I have seen many studies which shows the success of these schools.  They are not very scientific or clinical but the results have been favourable.

how do you know if the kids you refer "fail"? Do you keep tabs on them and statistics? Are they autheticated in some way, or is there any proof you don't simply "make them up"? Where can I acess these figures? Oh, yeah. I can't! They don't exist!
I have seen the before and after of each child.  There is no need to be snippity.  I don’t make any statistics or figues myself!

"Try" counsling? Why should therapy for the abusive family only be the “first option”?
Not sure what you mean?  Getting therapy for the entire family helps that thereapist to see the dynamics of the family and not just the child

Why should the failure of abusive or mentally ill parents to get their act together be something a kid is punished for in the form of imprisonment without due process in conditions that are illegal to force on criminals in maximum security prison?
Not sure what all that means.  If the parents are mentally ill then child services usually take over or intervene.  Most parents who are mentally ill could not afford a specialty school for their kids  or even recognize that their kids need help.  As far as the kids going to prison this is up to the court system and the child would probably get therapy support at the state or federal level.  I am not real familiar with this area.  Was this

Why doesn't the youth deserve due process, you grotesque, bigoted slaver? Why don’t humans under 18 only deserve HUMAN RIGHTS, instead of OPTIONS for their “owners.”?

Oh yeah, you couldn’t earn cash for bodies that way!
Screw you,"post it" ,you spoiled brat, what are you on drugs.  What is it that you do with your life that is so great.  You don’t even know me.  May initial thoughts of you were correct.  You are narrow minded and have very little understanding of the industry. Show me some statistics on how "you" have help kids out a bad situation.  I am looking for long term clinical studies,not just your opinion!!.  Try to work towards reversing the law that states parents are responsible for their kids until age 18 instead of trying to blame parents for not giving kids freedoms to hurt themselves and others.

I am not responding to you further until you apologize.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »
Oh my!  There is a lot to respond to.  I didn’t expect to take up this much space.  I apologize for being so slow.  I will respond to  the others after this one.
Is there a way for a parent to know for sure that an educational consultant is not taking compensation for referrals?
No, I suppose consultants could be unethical like any other business, parents just need to be careful or make sure their consultant is affiliated with a respectable group.

How does that ensure anything?  The most "respectable" group of educational consultants is the IECA, and although they do have ethical guidelines, they also have no real method of enforcing them.  If an educational consultant is taking kickbacks it won't matter if he promised not to do it at some point.  Nobody is holding him/her to it.

Michael said: That's the marketing, yes, but i've never actually see that truly happen. If you know of a program where this is actually practiced, by all means list it.
I do not know where you wnet to but if it was a specialty school or therapeutic school then they would have a resident therapist or private therapist which would see the children.  The staff is there to run “group” activities and keep the kids safe and busy with activities which are healthy.

Again.  Thats the theory and the marketing, but i've never seen or even heard of it practiced like taht.  It sounds like you're being a bit evasive here.  If you know of a program where this is practiced.  Please list it.

I said "unrestricted contact with parents". Considering history and what has happened in the past, is there really anything at all that can justify interfering with that?
For a short adjustment period of a few weeks I don’t see any problem with it.  You need to remember that most of these kids didn’t talk to their parents for weeks/months on end anyway (in any positive communicable way)!  A few more isn’t going to effect the natural bond between them.
I had a parent once who was concerned that the school was not up to the academic standards of the private school they were presently attending.  I asked the parents how many days has the child attended the school in the last month.  The point is that you can be enrolled in the best school in the country but if you don’t attend or apply yourself then its all for nothing.

Again. You're sounding a bit evasive here.  You didn't answer the question.  You answered whether you have a problem with it, but not what I asked, which was whether there is anything that can justify interfering with parent child communication (what is the up-side)?

I don’t feel my view is unique.  Maybe some schools would take a child who was just being disrespectful, but I don’t think the average educational consultant would suggest a family take this path without having the child evaluated.  I think if someone told you this there was probably more going on then just disrespect or ADD.

*facepalm*  But I asked you whether you know of a program...  Oh nevermind.  Do you think it's ethical for a program to accept kids without diagnoses?  Based on a phone interview?

But I do appreaciate what you mean and I am aware of that.

That's good.  Because studying how abusive programs have "worked" in the past (what mechanisms have helped them to work... very similar to cults) can help a person recognize current, similar trends in programs (Isaccorp has good warning signs in this regard).  So far as i've seen I haven't been able to find a single program where such warning signs do not exist (which is why I asked if you knew of a "good" program).

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2009, 01:52:38 PM »

Such as?  The only groups for them to be affiliated with are basically self governing.  Programs pay a fee and get the stamp of approval.  It doesn't mean anything.  There's no follow up or continuing education requirements.

For a short adjustment period of a few weeks I don’t see any problem with it.

What's the reasoning for it?  Why is it ever necessary to monitor communication between a parent and child?

You need to remember that most of these kids didn’t talk to their parents for weeks/months on end anyway (in any positive communicable way)!  A few more isn’t going to effect the natural bond between them.

Yes, it will.  They're being forced to be non-communicative.  They're removed from everything they feel comfortable with and are then prevented from communicating with their parents for what therapeutic reason?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »
I have seen many studies which shows the success of these schools.  They are not very scientific or clinical but the results have been favourable.

Re-read that and lemme know if you want to stick with it.

I have seen the before and after of each child.  There is no need to be snippity.  I don’t make any statistics or figues myself!

The after for how long?  It's usually taken a minimum of at least 5 years for the brainwashing to wear off before any of us began to understand what happened to us.

I am looking for long term clinical studies,

So are we.

I am not responding to you further until you apologize.

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2009, 02:23:14 PM »
How does that ensure anything? The most "respectable" group of educational consultants is the IECA, and although they do have ethical guidelines, they also have no real method of enforcing them. If an educational consultant is taking kickbacks it won't matter if he promised not to do it at some point. Nobody is holding him/her to it.
IECA personnel go thru ethics training.  But like any other job a person can go bad.  A well respected doctor could push a medication because he gets kick backs.

Again. Thats the theory and the marketing, but i've never seen or even heard of it practiced like taht. It sounds like you're being a bit evasive here. If you know of a program where this is practiced. Please list it.
I hesitate to name schools here because the focus then becomes to discredit the ones listed instead of the topic at hand, which can be easily done for any school or category.

Again. You're sounding a bit evasive here. You didn't answer the question. You answered whether you have a problem with it, but not what I asked, which was whether there is anything that can justify interfering with parent child communication (what is the up-side)?
The upside would be that the child gets a break from the family dynamics which could be causing some issues with the kid.  Maybe the child isn’t working too well within the family environment and needs to learn a few coping skills to deal with the communication.

*facepalm* But I asked you whether you know of a program... Oh nevermind. Do you think it's ethical for a program to accept kids without diagnoses? Based on a phone interview?
There needs to be a problem in order to work on possible solutions.  If the family needs a break and wants to travel to Europe for a year, specialty schools are not a solution for off loading a child.  They have regular Boarding schools for that.  Noo ne could get to know a family enough over the phone.  The phone interview may cause the family to seek solutions locally and then have that information forward to the school and or ed consultant.  But on phone call could never be enough, in my opinion, to place a child
That's good. Because studying how abusive programs have "worked" in the past (what mechanisms have helped them to work... very similar to cults) can help a person recognize current, similar trends in programs (Isaccorp has good warning signs in this regard). So far as i've seen I haven't been able to find a single program where such warning signs do not exist (which is why I asked if you knew of a "good" program).
I wouldn’t not recommend someone to a school because it contained one of 10 warning signs.  I have not seen your list of warning signs but you may be miss led on how to apply them.  Warning signs are meant to raise awareness.  For example one of the warning signs of depression is weight loss.  But because a child is losing weight does not mean they have depression, they could have a serious medical condition or just be on a silly diet due to social pressure, but it is something to keep your eye on.

I could never give a full list of schools, but a few that come to mind are:
Wil Lou Gray
The Academy
The family foundation school
Fulshear ranch academy
Most of the Aspen schools and wilderness programs

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2009, 02:38:03 PM »
I hesitate to name schools here because the focus then becomes to discredit the ones listed instead of the topic at hand, which can be easily done for any school or category.

Yeah, that's usually the excuse.  

The upside would be that the child gets a break from the family dynamics which could be causing some issues with the kid.  Maybe the child isn’t working too well within the family environment and needs to learn a few coping skills to deal with the communication.

It's fine to try and assist with family communication, but what purpose does it serve to prohibit it?  What if a parent AND child BOTH requested to speak privately?  Would that be honored?

There needs to be a problem in order to work on possible solutions.

I know you probably didn't mean it how that sounded but wow.  Yes.....in order for programs to sell themselves to gullible parents there needs to be a problem.  But what if there's not really a problem?  What if just a couple of over-reactive parents?  Programs are well adept at creating the fear in parents that there might someday be a problem if they don't catch that defiant behavior quick!!!    :o  ::OMG::

I could never give a full list of schools, but a few that come to mind are:
Wil Lou Gray
The Academy
The family foundation school
Fulshear ranch academy
Most of the Aspen schools and wilderness programs

You're saying these are acceptable to you?  You recommend Aspen???  Honestly?  This has GOT to be a joke, right?

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
How does that ensure anything? The most "respectable" group of educational consultants is the IECA, and although they do have ethical guidelines, they also have no real method of enforcing them. If an educational consultant is taking kickbacks it won't matter if he promised not to do it at some point. Nobody is holding him/her to it.
IECA personnel go thru ethics training.  But like any other job a person can go bad.  A well respected doctor could push a medication because he gets kick backs.

Sure.  But a doctor can get in trouble for such behavior.  There is the possibility he could lose his license or even go to jail.  There are no such consequences for educational consultants taking kickbacks (other than the possibility of civil suits).  What you seem to be saying is "yes, there is no way a parent can be sure... but it's not so bad since it happens elsewhere too!".  Am I right?

Again. You're sounding a bit evasive here. You didn't answer the question. You answered whether you have a problem with it, but not what I asked, which was whether there is anything that can justify interfering with parent child communication (what is the up-side)?

Fair enough. That's usually the answer i've heard in teh past, but the fact of the matter is: whatever possible upsides to the lack of communication, the downsides are that if there is abuse it will go unreported. During the 30 day period a "bad" program can discredit a student to the parents (telling them to expect manipulation) and threatening the kid to give only positive reports about the program(either implicitly or explicitly through punishment after the fact, or cutting off the call).  The danger is what such restriction in communication allows.

*facepalm* But I asked you whether you know of a program... Oh nevermind. Do you think it's ethical for a program to accept kids without diagnoses? Based on a phone interview?
There needs to be a problem in order to work on possible solutions.  If the family needs a break and wants to travel to Europe for a year, specialty schools are not a solution for off loading a child.  They have regular Boarding schools for that.  Noo ne could get to know a family enough over the phone.  The phone interview may cause the family to seek solutions locally and then have that information forward to the school and or ed consultant.  But on phone call could never be enough, in my opinion, to place a child

When you were talking to Marcy, you recommended a website she visit.  That website is one of WWASP's referral websites.  I know parents who have called up that very number and gotten kids accepted over the phone.  It was not a soft sell at all.  In fact, the parents were quite pressured to place.  In addition, the "assessment" that was given was a series of questions such as:

13. Is your teen manipulative or deceitful? [which ones aren't]
14. Does your teen seem to lack motivation?
15. Do you suspect that your teen lies or is dishonest?
16. Are you concerned that your teen may be sexually active? [my GOD!  the HORROR]
17. Any evidence of suicidal ideation? [interesting that the program's contract in the fine print says they do not accept kids who are suicidal]
18. Do you suspect that you have had money or valuables missing? [must have been the teen then!]
19. Does your teen's behavior concern you for their safety? [this is NORMAL, you yourself admitted it]
20. Is your teen angry or displaying anger outbursts? [with parents sending a kid to program for these reasons, who wouldn't be!]
21. Does your teen seem to lack self-esteem and self worth? [must be drugs!]
22. Do you have a lack of trust with your teen? [warning.  this problem requires institutionalization!]
23. Does your teen have problems with authority? [there was a time when this was considered to be a good thing.  Power corrupts.  It's wise to teach this early and well.  Might does not make right]
24. Does your teen engage in activities you don't approve of? [depending on the parent, this could be a very, very long list]
25. Do you think your teen is using or experimenting with drugs/alcohol? [screw proof.  suspicion is enough]
26. Are you concerned about your child's well being and their future?
[lol!  which parents aren't!]

ALL the questions are like this, many of which are reworded/duplicate, leading, or flat out rigged.  There are 30 of them.  Here is the key:

18+:  HIGH RISK. Get help!  A Residential Center, Treatment Program or Specialty School is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.  Call me now at 1-800-250-5446.

9-17:Borderline Risk. The problems may be resolved by tightening up the family rules and structure.  However, a Residential Center Treatment Program or Specialty School may need to be considered.

Do you not investigate the options you recommend?

I wouldn’t not recommend someone to a school because it contained one of 10 warning signs.

Would you recommend a school that has been under investigation by the authorities with substantiated accounts of abuse (by authorities as well as independent watchdogs), with lawsuits, and with congressional testimony against it?