Author Topic: Gulf Coast Academy  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Sidhe Shee

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 01:01:58 AM »
My son was there and got kicked out.  This is where they recommended he go.  I said no, because I am totally, and absolutely against wilderness programs.  Little did I know then anything about the WWASP deaths, suits, etc., and when I finally did, well you know the story.  People I know who are still involved in the program say it's lies.  How can you lie about a death, and injuries?  You'd really have to be brainwashed hence what my son titles "Programmed Parents".  

At least I am in wake up mode now, but feel fooled by the whole thing, and what I put him through.  I don't know what damage it's done to all of us, probably will never know.  For now, though, I can stop other parents from making the same mistakes I did.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline nimdA

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 01:05:40 AM »
Wake up mode.. sounds like something out of the discovery seminar.

Good luck with your son.
am the metal pig.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 01:19:45 AM »
I just signed out, don't want to go in and out, so thanks and have a great evening.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 03:34:48 PM »
Narvin's trio.....

From web site....

This is facilitated by the child entering the specialty Boarding schools of either Carolina Springs Academy in South Carolina www.carolinasprings.com or Gulf Coast Academy in Mississippi www.gulf-coastacademy.com for an initial wilderness process or basic training preparation in an ongoing self discovery and Educational process with an emotional growth component.

The Schools Offer a Three Phased Process

The process has three different stages that build on each other to move the child back to an appropriate state of maturation. The child starts at the 1st phase of the schools program which is designed to facilitate introspection by moving the student back to basics, then after a short time, 60-90 days of a wilderness program at CSA or Basic Training process for the students in Mississippi, the students enter the regular boarding school of both facilities. If they fail to show progress there they are remanded back to the 1st phase if needed a 2nd time. The third and final phase of the process is to enjoy a study abroad transitional component that will help them acquire additional skills while fulfilling their college prep second language requirement in Spanish at Pillars of Hope Language and Vocational Institute in Costa Rica www.pillarsofhope.com.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 03:36:22 PM »
Narvin's trio.....

From web site....

This is facilitated by the child entering the specialty Boarding schools of either Carolina Springs Academy in South Carolina www.carolinasprings.com or Gulf Coast Academy in Mississippi www.gulf-coastacademy.com for an initial wilderness process or basic training preparation in an ongoing self discovery and Educational process with an emotional growth component.

The Schools Offer a Three Phased Process

The process has three different stages that build on each other to move the child back to an appropriate state of maturation. The child starts at the 1st phase of the schools program which is designed to facilitate introspection by moving the student back to basics, then after a short time, 60-90 days of a wilderness program at CSA or Basic Training process for the students in Mississippi, the students enter the regular boarding school of both facilities. If they fail to show progress there they are remanded back to the 1st phase if needed a 2nd time. The third and final phase of the process is to enjoy a study abroad transitional component that will help them acquire additional skills while fulfilling their college prep second language requirement in Spanish at Pillars of Hope Language and Vocational Institute in Costa Rica www.pillarsofhope.com.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »
Quote from: ""Sidhe Shee""
This is the lovely school Midwest recommended, however we were informed there was a "Mandatory" thirty day wilderness program that had to be attended before they would let you're child in.  My answer: Absolutely NO Freakin' way.  Anyone who sends their kids to a wilderness camp is insane and should be given shock treatment.

Why is Midwest Academy better than a wilderness program?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 03:45:42 PM »
My son was there and got kicked out.  This is where they recommended he go.  I said no, because I am totally, and absolutely against wilderness programs.  Little did I know then anything about the WWASP deaths, suits, etc., and when I finally did, well you know the story.  People I know who are still involved in the program say it's lies.  How can you lie about a death, and injuries?  You'd really have to be brainwashed hence what my son titles "Programmed Parents".  

At least I am in wake up mode now, but feel fooled by the whole thing, and what I put him through.  I don't know what damage it's done to all of us, probably will never know.  For now, though, I can stop other parents from making the same mistakes I did.

How are you going to help other parents not make the same mistake you did? Obviously you didn't find fornits before placement. I am just curious, maybe more parents will follow your lead. Not many former program parents speak out as you can tell by reading the WWASP forum.

Offline Sidhe Shee

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 04:40:29 PM »
I am not praising Midwest vs. Wilderness programs.  I don't know why you are inferring this, other than to cause contraversy.

I don't know how I am going to help other parents.  I certainly won't be referring ANY schools in the near future.  I can certainly warn them here and elsewhere what our experiences were with respect to WWASP.  And as far as WWASP parents speaking out, I think most are affraid to speak out for one reason or another.  Here it's easy because you're anon.  I think that goes without saying.

Offline Sidhe Shee

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 04:42:04 PM »
Additionally, and I forgot to add, I sincerely hope someone here, or out there is going to keep an eye on this facility.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 04:43:26 PM »
I am not praising Midwest vs. Wilderness programs.  I don't know why you are inferring this, other than to cause contraversy.

Former wilderness program parents post here too.

I wonder why you think wilderness program parents are "insane and need shock treatment"?

Do you consider your decision to send your own child to Midwest was any more rational than those parents?

Offline Sidhe Shee

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 05:05:48 PM »
I am sure wilderness parents post here.  I am saying, after reading this, and finding out about these programs, and parents still send them, then they should be given shock treatment.  Not the onese who were fooled, and already sent them.  Trying to twist my words really doesn't suit you, whoever you are.

edited to add:  No, it was absolutely irrational.  Had I have known about WWASP and the abuse, I definately would not have sent him.  I didn't think to look under WWASP, I only looked under Teen Help and the actual School site for Midwest, like a lot of parents do, thinking they are doing their homework.  My son and I had no complaints with Midwest, only that they failed to send a lot of his personal items home.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:09:39 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 05:07:56 PM »
This is the lovely school Midwest recommended, however we were informed there was a "Mandatory" thirty day wilderness program that had to be attended before they would let you're child in.  My answer: Absolutely NO Freakin' way.  Anyone who sends their kids to a wilderness camp is insane and should be given shock treatment.

You said this was your "answer" when informed your kid was kicked out and needed to be transfered, so you are saying you found fornits before this and still hadn't pulled your child? You aren't making any sense.

Offline Sidhe Shee

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 05:10:41 PM »
Jesus Wept.  I found Fornits after pulling him from TB.  Give it a rest, and quit misquoting me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »
So you sent your kid to Tranquility bay but you were anti-wilderness at the same time?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gulf Coast Academy
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 05:13:21 PM »
Give it a rest, and quit misquoting me.

Or what? You'll send me to TB. Sorry, I ain't your kid.