Author Topic: ST Copyright Advice  (Read 1179 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
ST Copyright Advice
« on: February 05, 2007, 02:09:18 AM »
Quote from: ""Jena""
Quote from: ""exhausted""
Originally posted by exhausted:
Quote from: ""Jena""

Quote from: ""OverLordd""
Originally posted by OverLordd:
            P.S. Mose... these are my thoughts and they are my intellectual property, and definally not lon's in any way shape or form.

Should I take this to mean that you do not accept the terms and conditions that you accepted upon registration?

Jena Martin
        Forum Moderator
   Jena

Are you saying that the terms & conditions rule that all thoughts must be Lon's and not you're own [Confused]
    because that's what OL was saying - that these writings came from his mind and not Lon's....if that's the case I would never have accepted the terms & agreements either

The rule in question is stated on the very bottom of each page of the forum. It states that submissons to this site become the property of Woodbury Reports, Inc. and taking anything from this site and using it elsewhere is a copyright violation.

This is pretty standard for internet forums. It is nothing out of the ordinary from what I have seen.

Jena

However... a lawyer on another forum (who basically said the same thing as my neighbor IP attorney): "Because copyright (at least in the U.S.) is fairly difficult to actually transfer to someone else, the author of a post is almost always the copyright holder. In the Terms of Service, the author probably agrees to give the forum a license to use the material, but the author would still be the person who could give you permission to re-use it (under whatever limits the TOS might put on it).

there might be some newspapers that actually get copyright to the letters they print. Transfer of copyright needs to be done in writing, signed (physically, on paper) by the copyright holder. there are some publications that will contact the writers of the material they decide to print and ask them to transfer copyright. there should be a notice on the Letters to the Editor page stating whether the author or the newspaper owns the copyright.

As soon as something is put into a "fixed form" (which includes being published on the web), it's automatically copyrighted. So unless something specifically says it's in the public domain, assume that it's copyrighted. "

So technically.. I infringed on Jena (by posting her text in full) who infringed on Exhausted, who infringed on Jena, who infringed on OverLordd...  Nobody infringed on ST.

So.  Keep in mind... whatever you write, you own.  Period.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
ST Copyright Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 06:55:15 AM »
reposting what someone said to another forum in order to facilitate discussion is de facto covered under the fair use clause.

The Woodbury reports terms of service are unenforceable.
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
ST Copyright Advice
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 08:49:47 AM »
Lon's lame, he's king for a day on ST, toothless in the real world.  He will exile you, though.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"