Author Topic: Property values cited as board rejects teen treatment center  (Read 599 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Property values cited as board rejects teen treatment center
« on: January 06, 2007, 03:41:23 PM »
Associated Press
      BENJAMIN ? After neighbors complained about their property values and safety, a Utah County board rejected a request to build a residential drug-treatment center for teen boys.

"I'm out there at night irrigating. You think I'm going to carry a gun? Well, I will if that home gets built," Blake Huff said.

The Journey Blazing New Trails LLC wants to move from Provo. Program director Madolyn Liebing said the boys, 12 to 18, do not have histories of violent behavior, sex offenses or serious mental-health issues and are placed in the program by judges.

She said the company wants to move outside Provo so the boys can do more farm work.

In nearly two years, Liebing said, there have been no incidents of boys causing problems for neighbors. Four ran away.

"I think we've got a real safe, solid program. We're having a real impact on these boys' lives and hopefully making them better citizens," she said.

That didn't satisfy many people who appeared at the Board of Adjustment meeting.

Opponents submitted 10 letters from real-estate professionals who said the treatment center would have a negative impact on property values.

A home that is near a drug-treatment center likely will sell for less than an identical home located elsewhere, said Holly Davis, a mortgage underwriter.

"It does discourage a certain percentage of buyers," she said.

On a 3-1 vote, board members Randy Christiansen, Lyle Hillier and Richard Dalebout voted to deny the zoning exception that would have allowed the treatment center.

"I guess I'm not satisfied that there's enough information before us to address the issue that there's no negative impact on property values," Christiansen said.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650220829,00.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »