Author Topic: Any info on Project PATCH or Cove Creek?  (Read 13970 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Former staff member arrested
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
Man accused of lewd conduct with teen worked in youth facility, by Nishi Gupta, KTVB, December 15, 2009

NewsChannel 7 has learned a Boise man accused of having sex with a teen worked as a supervisor at a home for troubled kids.
Ryan VanHook, 33, was arrested Sunday for lewd conduct and for letting a runaway teen stay with him.  He was arraigned Monday in Ada County, and that's when his story became public.  Now we're learning a little bit more about the man who police say housed a runaway teen without her parent's permission.
Seventeen-year-old Emily Allen, a friend of the alleged victim, was sent to Project PATCH in Garden Valley over the summer.   It's a facility for kids with behavior problems where up to 40 kids can stay on site.  That's how she says she met Ryan VanHook, a dorm supervisor.
"He was a very fun guy, someone you wanted to be around," said Emily Allen.
Allen says VanHook took special interest in her and her 16-year-old friend.
"He was so friendly and she was always speaking well of him, how much she adored him and how fond of her he was," said Allen.
In an e-mail, Project PATCH's director says VanHook began working in June but resigned on Nov. 28 to take another job.  The 28th is the same day investigators believe the alleged abuse began at VanHook’s home in Boise.
“I want to say that I'm shocked at the whole situation, but like I said I'm just not. I almost saw it coming," Allen said.
"As a mother your job is to protect your child. I sent her over there with all faith they were going to watch over her and protect her," Pebbles Allen-Gentilman said.
Allen's mother pulled her child out of Project PATCH weeks before Van Hook's arrest, and later learned of other violations that she passed on to the state health department, which licensed Project PATCH.  Her complaint launched an investigation in November.
The state found some minor problems, but no complaints about VanHook surfaced when kids and staff members were interviewed.
"There was no, nothing came out of that that would make one suspect there was inappropriate sexual contact being made at that facility," Tom Shanahan of the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare said.
Project PATCH says it is cooperating with police but can not discuss details because of the investigation.  The state tells us VanHook had to pass a criminal history check to be working there.
Police say the 16-year-old girl was found Saturday and is now home with her family.  E-mails sent to her family for comment were not returned.
VanHook is currently being held at the Ada County Jail on a $50,000 bond.  He has a preliminary hearing next Monday.

Wiki page was updated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Boise man accused of having sex with runaway teen
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
Some earlier articles clarify the background of this case a bit more:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

KTVB.COM
Boise man accused of having sex with runaway teen
by KTVB
Posted on December 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM
Updated Tuesday, Dec 15 at 6:10 AM

BOISE -- A 16-year-old girl is back home and the Boise man she is accused of running away with is in the Ada County Jail.

Ryan Vanhook, 33, is charged with sexual battery of a minor and providing shelter to a runaway.

The girl is from Garden Valley and is back with her family.

Boise Police and Boise County deputies believe Vanhook helped the girl leave her home in Boise County on Nov. 28.  She was found Dec. 12.

Investigators say Vanhook sheltered girl at his home in Boise. The alleged abuse is believed to have occurred there.

© 2009-2010 King Broadcasting Company, a subsidiary of Belo Corp.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Man suspected of sexually assaulting runaway
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 01:53:11 PM »
KBOI2.com
Man suspected of sexually assaulting runaway
By KBCI Web Staff
Story Created: Dec 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM MDT · Story Updated: Dec 14, 2009 at 5:35 PM MDT

BOISE - A Boise man has been arrested after he allegedly sexually assaulted a teen runaway.

Authorities say Ryan VanHook, 33, helped the teen girl leave her home in Boise County in late November. Investigators say VanHook sheltered the teen at his home in Boise. She was found Dec. 12.

Sheriff Ben Roeber said the teen, who ran away from her Garden Valley home, has been returned safely to her family. 2News has learned the girl's identity, but is not publishing it because she's a minor and an alleged victim of abuse.

The alleged sexual abuse occurred in Boise, authorities say.

Copyright © 2010 Fisher Communications, Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Project PATCH, missing teen
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 11:28:56 PM »
Some info on the girl:

Name: Hailey Eliott

Date of Birth: 11/24/1993
Date Missing: 11/28/2009
Age at time of disappearance: 16
City Missing From: Garden Valley/Boise
State Missing From: Idaho
Race: White/Hispanic
Height: 5 ft 4 in
Weight: 140 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Hair (other): Short
Eye Color: Dark Brown
Complexion: Light olive

Identifying Characteristics: Old piercing scars on lower lip, piercing scar on outer edge of right eyebrow

Clothing: Grey sweatshirt, jeans, sneakers or light brown Uggs, with orange backpack

Jewelry: None known

Circumstances of Disappearance: Hailey was last seen in Garden Valley, Idaho on 11/28/09. She was spotted on surveillance tape at Chevron on Hwy 55 just South of Marsing, Idaho at 11:45pm Sunday 11/29/09. She left with a white man, mid to late 30's with muttonchop sideburns, 5'9" to 6' tall, heavyset, with camouflage cap. He was driving a black or dark blue Chevy truck with brush guard in front which obscured the view of the license plate.

Investigative Agency: Boise County Sheriff
Agency Phone: (208) 392-4411
Investigative Case #: 2009-04142

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Project PATCH, Web Sleuths thread
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 12:04:24 AM »
There are a couple of things about this case that don't completely add up. For one thing, there was virtually NO mainstream media coverage of this girl having gone missing until after she was found.

This despite the fact that this girl's mom is a deejay at a local radio station in Boise, ID. It would have been ooooh sooooo easy to broadcast pertinent details. Like the fact that she left from Project Patch, and not some regular high school. Or that the description of her having accepted a ride from some poor schmuck caught on a convenience store camera was completely false (see "Circumstances of Disappearance" in my previous post).

It almost seems as if this girl's parents wanted to keep the fact that Hailey ran away ... as quiet as possible.

The folks at Web Sleuths figured it out eventually, though. At least the part about her being enrolled at Project Patch. If you read their thread on Hailey Elliot through from start to finish, ya can't help but be struck by the number of times people bring up ... how very odd it is, that there is simply nooooo media coverage.

Here are some select comments:

Idaho4Groenes · 12-06-2009, 03:07 AM
    It's been over a week since she was last seen. An AMBER Alert at this point is extremely unlikely. But the media picking up on this, at all, would be nice. I haven't heard anything about this on tv, and just checked the local news stations online and couldn't find anything there either. I'll try to shoot of some emails tomorrow. About ready to head to bed for the night. Hopefully she will be found soon. Prayers to her family.
momtective · 12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
    Can someone clarify if Hailey lived at the boarding school?
    I'm wondering why? If her Mom was right there in Boise, why would Hailey be boarded?
    She looks happy enough in the pics that have been released but I'd love to hear from some of her friend and acquaintances at school. I'm just getting a really icky feeling that this girl was just extra baggage for her mom so she was shipped off to boarding school on the other side of town. I think the girl may have just been miserable and decided to ditch the school and her mom.
    I am very concerned for her safety though...we all know the dangers lurking about in this world. I hope she has a good head on her shoulders, had a specific plan as far as a place to stay and that she is safe.
elepher50 · 12-06-2009, 05:41 PM
    Thanks I4G: Hailey's mom is a well known DJ at a local radio station in Boise - kinda making me wonder why there isn't more of a media blitz - just sayin ... that is all ... just sayin... and also wondering.
momtective · 12-06-2009, 05:42 PM
    Originally Posted by darlin gal
    Why is every thinking she was in boarding school? Her mom didn't mention that...that I know of.

I don't know the exact temps of when she went missing. The weather undergound lists the high on the 28th at 37 and low at 28.

She was wearing a hoodie and a coat.
    I'm not necessarily thinking she was a student in boarding school. I'm asking for clarification as to whether she was or was not.
    If she was then that would certainly explain why she would be at/in school the Saturday following Thanksgiving.
    My understanding is that she had been at a school event, now around here there are no school events the Saturday following Thanksgiving...there is no school and the day prior to and the 3 days following Thanksgiving are considered family time...most people take trips to visit family or they host family from out of town...so I'm just looking for clarification as to whether she went to boarding school. If she did go to boarding school why wasn't she with her family for the Holidays?[/list]
    tfrohning · 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
      sorry on my last post ....I read wrong I was hoping for reward and coverage.
      I am confuse with radio station connection why it not all over the news.
    KaylynnCouture · 12-06-2009, 08:02 PM
      Originally Posted by LogicalMinds
      Ok...I asked about a "boarding" school...or I also thought maybe a "girls school" type deal..like a home for girls...cause the wording is just so odd on the original information

says she "ran away from school"?? now what does that mean??

Honestly I have seen so many missing person cases where the reporting is simply horrible...I guess newspapers are dead or dying in this country along with journalism

who...what...where ...why...when....none of that apparently matters

why isn't the info out there??

for the person who is in touch with this poor mom...even though it is hard, I think that she needs to get accurate information out there..

where was Hailey?? who was she with? when..what time?? who last saw her?
      what was she "like" (happy, sad, excited, mad)
      what happened recently (ie, new boyfriend....busy on chat rooms...troubles or??)

the info that she "ran away from school" is just...not useful IMHO

it does sound like she ran away from a boarding school...or a "home" for girls or something
      All great questions.

I found a home for troubled teens (that looks to be a boarding school, honestly) in Garden Valley called Project Patch (http://www.projectpatch.com) Maybe she attended there?[/list]
      KaylynnCouture · 12-06-2009, 08:09 PM
        Found this on a Facebook group for Hailey. (This is from her mother)

MON: 11:42am -Catrina: Thank you Dwight. You ALL have been so wonderful, and I thank GOD for this technology... it really has been amazing, and EVERYONE"S prayers and help is sooo appreciated.
      Hailey is presumed to be with an older male, heading through Nevada. My husband is driving the route stopping at all the truck stops asking to look at security tapes so we can hopefully come up with a vehicle description soon. THANK YOU[/list]
      LogicalMinds · 12-06-2009, 08:15 PM
        Originally Posted by KaylynnCouture
        All great questions.

I found a home for troubled teens (that looks to be a boarding school, honestly) in Garden Valley called Project Patch (http://www.projectpatch.com) Maybe she attended there?
        Thanks...that sort of "school" was honestly my first thought...

cause ..."ran away from school"??

usually kids run away from "home' right?

I also notice that she has a "grown in" piercing in her eyebrow and lip..
        young to have that (where I live would need parental permission, I don't know about Idaho)....I also thought that maybe a "home for girls" would not permit them to keep their piercings in so that might be why re-grown/closed piercing?

and...I am NOT trying to sound racist here, just being honest..I also thought that she looked Native American....and I (*think) sometimes they go to boarding schools in the vast far west don't they? If they are from a small Native American town/reservation they go to high school in a boarding school?

NOw...I don't know...I am not not Native American and I have only been to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Arizona....the "west" and the "heartland" frighten me the same way gators and crazy nuts in the sun frighten people in other parts of the country LOL

I just think of vast spaces and places...where people might go to high school in a boarding school...?? miles and miles with no one there...so far from the ocean...huge mountains....wild territory....scares me <grin>

also this says that Hailey is "Hispanic">> she might well be...but her last name is very "anglo" /British...and the mom's last name is not Hispanic...?
        So far no word on the dad...

She might be Hispanic...or Native American...cause obviously a LOT of "Hispanic" people are from Mexico/South America and decendents of the indiginous peoples that lived there

I think I also got this idea in my head from reading some of the sad tales here of "First Nation" (Canadian) girls gone missing....and I think one of them was going to some boarding type school ??

so that was my first thought here

which of course...the lack of real info ...let me go on thinking

who...who in the world wrote this "information" report??

so lacking in detail...let's hope some media coverage will come
        thanks for the emails...I fired off a letter to each asking them to cover this

I wonder IF there is some valid reason that they know of for her to "run away from school"?? That might be the reason there is so little news

thanks for letting me put these ideas out there....I hope that no one takes offense...and I am very happy to be corrected as I don't know much about the "west" or the "heartland"[/list]
        West · 12-06-2009, 09:22 PM
          Just chiming in about the residential schools aspect....

A lot of 'boarding schools' out West specialize in programs that help students who are 'troubled', academically/socially/emotionally. Using a mix of outdoor education/wilderness experiences, group therapy and labor (not like hauling bricks, but more communal living/community service) to help students address 'problem areas' (issues with parents/control/failing academics/hanging with the wrong crowd etc.)

Programs usually last between 1 1/2 years and upwards of 4 years for some students. These residential school programs are also very expensive and typically draw a demographic of upper middle class, Caucasian families who are 'out of options' for addressing their students needs in their hometown.

Perhaps Hailey was attending a similar program, which would explain her 'running away from school'. Many of these programs are very restrictive on contact with friends/family/internet use/body piercings etc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Re: Project PATCH, Web Sleuths thread
        « Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 02:16:25 PM »
        Once Hailey was found, her mother posted this cryptic message in the aforementioned thread:

Haileysmom · 12-21-2009, 05:35 PM
          This is Catrina, Hailey Elliott's mom.

I wanted to post and thank you sincerely for all your dedicated efforts to find missing persons, whether a child, teen or adult. It's unfortunate that an initial report of "runaway" can skew an entire investigation, and we hope to someday change that stigma, but I wanted to thank YOU for the efforts to find Hailey regardless. Hailey was returned to us safe, but not unharmed, and the circumstances are more involved than ever reported.

While Hailey was missing, I found myself getting quite frustrated with some of the posts I read here... but then, NONE OF US had the entire story, did we...? We are so thankful for those who circulated fliers, e-mails and posts just to find her SAFE, no matter WHAT the circumstances. It truly taught us how many wonderful people still exist, who band together to help the fellow man, without prejudice. Certainly, there are many who choose to jump to false conclusions, but honorable people can wait for the long process of our court system to reveal the truth, and prevent further harm.

Unfortunately, we are bound by that judicial timeline. Please know how difficult it is to "bite my tongue" and not jump to correct the inaccurate reports I've seen in the news... but it would only jeapordize the case. Rather than be defensive of these half-truths, or critical of uneducated prejudice, we choose to appreciate the positive intent. I will tell you this, we learned that Marsing phone call and video were a calculated ruse to throw us all off track. It sickens me that it worked so well... but how can you rule it out?? Also, Hailey WAS found in Boise, trying to walk home... when someone recognized her, and brought her to us. Now, you can focus your valuable time on finding those still missing.

Truth and justice will prevail, and I look forward to screaming the story from the mountaintops at the appropriate time. Merry Christmas to you all, and may we bring more missing persons home in 2010!!

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Boise man charged with felony sexual battery...
        « Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 02:16:03 PM »
        Okay, one more. It turns out that this version is the only article which mentions Ryan Van Hook's middle name. And yeah, I'd venture that the local press has been remarkably reticent with certain facts about this case...

IdahoStatesman.com
        Boise man charged with felony sexual battery in connection with runaway case
        Published: 12/14/09

Ryan Leland Vanhook, 33,

Ryan Leland Van Hook, 33, of Boise, was booked into the Ada County Jail Sunday on charges of felony sexual battery of a minor child 16 to 17 years old and misdemeanor providing shelter to runaway children.

A 16-year-old Garden Valley girl who police say had been with Van Hook was returned home to her mother's care Sunday, Boise County Sheriff Ben Roeber said Monday.

Roeber said the case is still under investigation, and the case involves possible crimes committed in both the city of Boise and Boise County.

Boise Police and Boise County deputies believe Van Hook helped the teen girl leave her home in Boise County Nov. 28. She was found Saturday.

Investigators believe Van Hook sheltered the teen at his home in Boise, and that's where they believe the alleged abuse occurred.

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Man accused of lewd conduct with teen worked in youth facili
        « Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 07:01:12 PM »
        I believe this may be a repeat of an earlier article, but it was posted later so... just in case...

NWCN.com
        Man accused of lewd conduct with teen worked in youth facility
        by NISHI GUPTA / KTVB
        NWCN.com

Posted on December 16, 2009 at 9:47 AM

GARDEN VALLEY --  A Boise man accused of having sex with a teen worked as a supervisor at a home for troubled kids.

Ryan VanHook, 33, was arrested Sunday for lewd conduct and for letting a runaway teen stay with him.  He was arraigned Monday in Ada County, and that's when his story became public.  Now we're learning a little bit more about the man who police say housed a runaway teen without her parent's permission.

Seventeen-year-old Emily Allen, a friend of the alleged victim, was sent to Project PATCH in Garden Valley over the summer.   It's a facility for kids with behavior problems where up to 40 kids can stay on site.  That's how she says she met Ryan VanHook, a dorm supervisor.

"He was a very fun guy, someone you wanted to be around," said Emily Allen.

Allen says VanHook took special interest in her and her 16-year-old friend.

"He was so friendly and she was always speaking well of him, how much she adored him and how fond of her he was," said Allen.

In an e-mail, Project PATCH's director says VanHook began working in June but resigned on Nov. 28 to take another job.  The 28th is the same day investigators believe the alleged abuse began at VanHook’s home in Boise.

“I want to say that I'm shocked at the whole situation, but like I said I'm just not. I almost saw it coming," Allen said.

"As a mother your job is to protect your child. I sent her over there with all faith they were going to watch over her and protect her," Pebbles Allen-Gentilman said.

Allen's mother pulled her child out of Project PATCH weeks before Van Hook's arrest, and later learned of other violations that she passed on to the state health department, which licensed Project PATCH.  Her complaint launched an investigation in November.

The state found some minor problems, but no complaints about VanHook surfaced when kids and staff members were interviewed.

"There was no, nothing came out of that that would make one suspect there was inappropriate sexual contact being made at that facility," Tom Shanahan of the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare said.

Project PATCH says it is cooperating with police but can not discuss details because of the investigation.  The state tells us VanHook had to pass a criminal history check to be working there.

Police say the 16-year-old girl was found Saturday and is now home with her family.  E-mails sent to her family for comment were not returned.

VanHook is currently being held at the Ada County Jail on a $50,000 bond.  He has a preliminary hearing next Monday.

© 2009-2010 Northwest Cable News, Inc., a subsidiary of Belo Corp.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Ryan VanHook arrest, police news release
        « Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 01:04:50 AM »
        For the record, from the Boise, Idaho, police blotter:

Boise Police Department News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
        December 14, 2009

Boise Police, working closely with Boise County Sheriff's Deputies, have arrested a man accused of helping a teenage girl leave her home, sheltering her, and sexually assaulting her.

Arrested: Ryan L. VanHook, 33, Boise
        Charges: Providing shelter to a runaway (m), Sexual Battery of a minor child 16 to 17 years of age (F)

Boise Police and Boise County Deputies believe the suspect helped the teen girl leave her home in Boise County Nov. 28, 2009. She was found Dec. 12th. Investigators believe the suspect sheltered the teen at his home in Boise. The alleged abuse occurred in Boise City.

The suspect VanHook was arrested Sunday evening at a Boise County home by Boise County Deputies.

This case remains under investigation. Further inquiries should be directed to Ada County Court records.

###

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Boise man who had sex with runaway girl gets 20 years
        « Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »
        KTVB.COM
        Boise man who had sex with runaway girl gets 20 years
        by KTVB
        Posted on April 9, 2010 at 5:02 PM
        Updated Saturday, Apr 10 at 1:42 PM

Ryan Vanhook

BOISE -- A Boise man who supervised troubled kids is going to prison for having sex with a teenage runaway.

Ryan Van Hook, 33, was sentenced Friday to 20 years in prison.  He can seek parole after 10 years.

Van Hook worked at Project Patch in Garden Valley, but had resigned before being arrested last December on a charge of sexual battery.

At that time, police said they found a 16-year-old runaway living at his house without her parents' permission.  The girl is back with her family.

© 2009-2010 King Broadcasting Company, a subsidiary of Belo Corp.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Re: Project PATCH
        « Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »
        There is more here than meets the eye.

I would venture that both Project Patch and Hailey's mom, a local radio personality, each strove to squelch excessive news coverage of this case. Each for their own reasons.

Ryan VanHook wasn't just an ordinary man off the street, who happened to like kids, and who hence became a "dorm supervisor" at a facility for troubled adolescents.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
        Re: Any info on Project PATCH or Cove Creek?
        « Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »
        There is just no stopping these people.  Even with proper background checks these guys get into the system whether it be public or private.  Makes you want to just home-school your kids.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Ryan VanHook = dirtmonkey29
        « Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »
        A couple of posts from the aforementioned thread on Web Sleuths:

Originally posted on 12-20-2009, 11:11 PM · #233
          Quote from: "LadyL"
          ok, google dirtmonkey29

youtube videos etc.

is it him?
          I suspect it is b/c on another person's webpage, I found links to 'friend's' pages and both Project Patch & Dirtmonkey Films were listed

kinda coincidinky

also, when I googled his name, dirtmonkeys came up

if it's him, he has 3 kids, two girls & a boy
          the pics in the videos definitely look like the booking pic we've seen
          Originally posted on 12-20-2009, 11:17 PM · #234
          scratch suspicion
          definitely him IMO, now that I see that person who has linked to dirtmonkeys & Project Patch has the same last name as two of the dorm directors at PP...
          [/list]

Offline SUCK IT

• View Profile
          Re: Boise man who had sex with runaway girl gets 20 years
          « Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »
          Quote from: "Ursus"
          police said they found a 16-year-old runaway living at his house without her parents' permission.  The girl is back with her family.

Hey maybe that teenage girl listened to the advice of Pile, Niles and Dysfunction to run away from home? This is a reality check for the people giving bad advice!
          one day at a time

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
          Re: Boise man who had sex with runaway girl gets 20 years
          « Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 10:14:55 PM »
          Quote from: "SUCK IT"
          Quote from: "KTVB.COM"
          ...police said they found a 16-year-old runaway living at his house without her parents' permission.  The girl is back with her family.
          Hey maybe that teenage girl listened to the advice of Pile, Niles and Dysfunction to run away from home? This is a reality check for the people giving bad advice!
          It is my understanding that she didn't run away from home.

She ran away from the program...
            to the domicile of her former dorm supervisor...
            who mysteriously resigned from said program...
            on the very same day.