Author Topic: Peachford  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Peachford
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:18:00 PM »
What's the connection between Peachford Behavioral Health and HLA?
http://alcoholism.about.com/gi/dynamic/ ... ordbhs.com

I understand they are owned by Universal Health, the same outfit that owns Ascent, Boulder Creek Academy, Provo Canyon, King George, Northwest Academy, and others.
http://www.uhsinc.com/hospitals.php?type=behavioral

Bought up all the CEDU programs when Brown Schools went bankrupt.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 407&EDATE=
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Guest 2

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:39:54 PM »
From what I've heard, Peachford is the psychiatric facility HLA sends kids to when an "intervention" doesn't do the trick or the kid is new and needs to have their medicine adjusted.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has a child who was sent there and whether or not you received a receipt or a statement from the visit.

Is Buccellato on the Board of Directors at Peachford?

Offline Guest 2

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:43:03 PM »
Also - Do parents have to give their consent for their child to be sent to Peachford?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 07:01:49 AM »
Peachford existed back when I was in high school so I doubt it has any business ownership affiliation with HLA. I remember some classmates going there. This would have been 1980-1983 era. Im not sure when it actually opened though.

Offline Lacey

• View Profile
Re: Peachford
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 10:30:48 AM »
Quote from: ""Deborah""

I understand they are owned by Universal Health, the same outfit that owns Ascent, Boulder Creek Academy, Provo Canyon, King George, Northwest Academy, and others.

Peachford is an outside short term psychiatric ward, not directly linked to HLA. No, it didnt have anything to do with the interventions. They are two different kinds of punishment.

Interventions were used for punishments to behaviors not having to do with harming oneself (violence, drug use, extreme refusals, etc). Basically they were used to break someone down so that they knew exactly what was in store for them if they repeated this behavior.

Peachford was used much less frequently. I only knew 2 or 3 people who went there in my entire 2 yr stay. People went to Peachford when HLA was not sure if they could keep them safe at HLA. Like people who were extremely suicidal or wouldnt stop cutting (why these people were admitted in the first place always blew my mind.) Like for example:

A room mate that I had toward the end of my stay had found her mom hanging in the moms closet by a belt like 2 years ago or something. The girl was totally nuts (cutting, would choke herself with a belt to "feel closer to her mom", and all this other stuff). I got totally freaked and told my counselor, and they put her on Restrictions and on Clean Air (sleeping in the hallway in a sleeping bag so night staff can watch you.) Finally staff walked in on her trying to hang herself and she was sent to Peachford. Then she did something else crazy there, and I think was eventually sent to a longer term psych ward.

So it was people like that who went to Peachford (also extreme anorexia or bulimia I'm pretty sure). Its like a short term crisis center.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 10:31:09 AM »
i was sent to peachford my first day at HLA.  the reason i was sent was because i refused to comply with their "strip search."  im not sure if they asked or told my parents if i was going, but i can tell everyone one thing, i was treated ten times better at peachford then i was at HLA. thats for sure.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:53:04 AM »
Quote from: ""sm""
i was sent to peachford my first day at HLA.  the reason i was sent was because i refused to comply with their "strip search."  im not sure if they asked or told my parents if i was going, but i can tell everyone one thing, i was treated ten times better at peachford then i was at HLA. thats for sure.

That sounds unbelievable.  If I weren't a staff there at the time and saw it happen with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe.  But yes, this is true.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Peachford
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 12:24:32 AM »
Quote from: ""Lacey""
Quote from: ""Deborah""

Peachford is an outside short term psychiatric ward, not directly linked to HLA. No, it didnt have anything to do with the interventions. They are two different kinds of punishment.

Interventions were used for punishments to behaviors not having to do with harming oneself (violence, drug use, extreme refusals, etc). Basically they were used to break someone down so that they knew exactly what was in store for them if they repeated this behavior.

Peachford was used much less frequently. I only knew 2 or 3 people who went there in my entire 2 yr stay. People went to Peachford when HLA was not sure if they could keep them safe at HLA. Like people who were extremely suicidal or wouldnt stop cutting (why these people were admitted in the first place always blew my mind.) Like for example:

A room mate that I had toward the end of my stay had found her mom hanging in the moms closet by a belt like 2 years ago or something. The girl was totally nuts (cutting, would choke herself with a belt to "feel closer to her mom", and all this other stuff). I got totally freaked and told my counselor, and they put her on Restrictions and on Clean Air (sleeping in the hallway in a sleeping bag so night staff can watch you.) Finally staff walked in on her trying to hang herself and she was sent to Peachford. Then she did something else crazy there, and I think was eventually sent to a longer term psych ward.

So it was people like that who went to Peachford (also extreme anorexia or bulimia I'm pretty sure). Its like a short term crisis center.

The girl was totally nuts (cutting, would choke herself with a belt to "feel closer to her mom", and all this other stuff). I got totally freaked and told my counselor, and they put her on Restrictions and on Clean Air (sleeping in the hallway in a sleeping bag so night staff can watch you.) Finally staff walked in on her trying to hang herself and she was sent to Peachford. Then she did something else crazy there, and I think was eventually sent to a longer term psych ward.

How in good conscience could HLA take on a child who had such severe issues? Did HLA really think their unlicensed staff could cure this girl or provide her with the professional therapy she needed? I can only imagine how terrifying this experience must have been for the girls who lived in the same dorm with this girl. I guess it's anything for a dollar.

Offline juniper2

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 07:47:09 PM »

Strip searching was never authorized by parents nor was it stated to parents, nor is it in the Parent Handbook.  Please call Kit Wallace at CPS.

Offline Lacey

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 08:40:09 AM »
Quote from: ""juniper2""

Strip searching was never authorized by parents nor was it stated to parents, nor is it in the Parent Handbook.  Please call Kit Wallace at CPS.

Lol we were strip searched every single time we came back on campus from a break. They lined us all up in the gym when we got back and took us one by one in the back and we got naked. Girls had to squat and cough, had  to lift up their boobs to they could see that there wasnt anything taped underneath... It sucked.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »
Quote from: ""Lacey""
Quote from: ""juniper2""

Lol we were strip searched every single time we came back on campus from a break. They lined us all up in the gym when we got back and took us one by one in the back and we got naked. Girls had to squat and cough, had  to lift up their boobs to they could see that there wasnt anything taped underneath... It sucked.

Same thing with the guys, replace boobs with privates...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
No
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 10:51:11 PM »
Also - Do parents have to give their consent for their child to be sent to Peachford?

No... my child was admitted to Peachford because he/she would not sign a "Contract for Safety" or something like that stated he/she would not hurt himself/herself.  The day after he/she was admitted at Peachford, we received a phone call from the HLA Psychiatrist who explained to us why he/she was admitted there.  

Ironically, the Psychiatrist at Peachford told us the story about the girl at HLA who tried to hang herself.  He also suggested that we should not return our child to HLA as they were not qualified to deal with our child's issues.  He/she never did return to HLA.

At the same time, several employees at Peachford did not hesitate to suggest the names of Educational Consultants to help with placement at another program.  Our child is now at an Aspen Group facility out west.  My spouse and I are not very optimistic that the new facility will do much better, despite the sales job we received from the Ed. Cons.

ItsOptional

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: No
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
Quote from: ""ItsOptional""

No... my child was admitted to Peachford because he/she would not sign a "Contract for Safety" or something like that stated he/she would not hurt himself/herself.  The day after he/she was admitted at Peachford, we received a phone call from the HLA Psychiatrist who explained to us why he/she was admitted there.  

Ironically, the Psychiatrist at Peachford told us the story about the girl at HLA who tried to hang herself.  He also suggested that we should not return our child to HLA as they were not qualified to deal with our child's issues.  He/she never did return to HLA.

At the same time, several employees at Peachford did not hesitate to suggest the names of Educational Consultants to help with placement at another program.  Our child is now at an Aspen Group facility out west.  My spouse and I are not very optimistic that the new facility will do much better, despite the sales job we received from the Ed. Cons.

ItsOptional

Please call Kit Wallace at Child Protective Services with your child's story: 706.864.1839  They need this information for their investigation.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 11:01:50 PM »
Our child is now at an Aspen Group facility out west.

You fucking moron. Haven't you learned anything?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peachford
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 11:14:48 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penal""
Our child is now at an Aspen Group facility out west.

You fucking moron. Haven't you learned anything?

MGDP - Lighten up on the parent. It sounds like they're in a tough situation trying to protect their child from self-destructing. Be a little more constructive and let people know what you've heard about that facility. There are kids out there that really do need help. Unfortunately too many places, such as HLA, take advantage of a desparate situation. (I pulled my kid out of HLA, but I also needed to make sure I was doing the right thing.)

Seriously, some of the stuff that is purported to take place at HLA seemed impossible and surreal. But thanks to the kindness of people on this forum, I was able to make an educated decision based on facts to get my kid out of that hell hole. I am eternally grateful to those people.

People that are new to Fornits need some compassion, not to be called names and ridiculed. I'm lucky I have a thick skin or else I would have not gotten back on this site. Some people are more sensitive and you may completely turn them away from Fornits by jumping down their throats - especially when it seems like a call for help.

Just a thought....