Author Topic: Maia Szalavitz  (Read 10741 times)

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 10:23:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Is it possible that the abuse took place behind closed doors?

Still my question stands. Is it possible that the abuse took place out of your vision?"
I agree with you. I believe it was possible even though I never saw anyone get raped while in Straight. Rape, sexual assault, molestation, etc., alomst by definition are acts that take place behind closed doors and there is rarely ever a witness. The host homes at Straight provided ample opportunity for such abuse to occur since newcomers were locked in bedrooms all night with the oldcomer with NO ADULT SUPERVISION.....

"I can only wonder but I somehow suspect that an abused resident is not likely to wear a sign about their necks revealing the gruesome details of their recent dehumanization. Nor would I suspect that a resident in that time period, or in most cases this time period be particularly willing to step up to the plate and face the full fury of the programs and his own peers by making an accustion against a staff member."

Again, I think you hit the nail on the head....research has shown that sexual abuse victims are most likely to remain silent. Plus, the anon poster who keeps mentioning Straight's twisted confidentiality policy makes an important point. It virtually guaranteed that abuse would stay secret. The No Talking Behind Backs policy forbade ever mentioning (even to parents) what we saw or heard in host homes, and forbade ever discussing what went on in group (even to parents).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
Anyone from VA (83ish) remember the incident where some guy kept bleeding out his ass in group? I'm not kidding about this! I recall this being discussed on one these forums a while back. The guy had been raped and was bleeding in his chair... Gross.

I can't say that i recall it actually happening, but do seem to have memories of the confrontation about it going on..but i didn't see the blood and don't recall much from back then. Perhaps someone who knows more about it will be so kind as to corroborate..I do recall Dean Mistretta being mentioned as the one who dealt with it in group that day.

Offline Gah

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »
Thats sad

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
anusamonstus, it is possible that it happened. i just said i did not see any of it. this is a chicken and egg thing. how do you know it happened?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »
If it is well phrased and not crude.

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 14:57:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"

On 2006-04-05 12:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Try opening your eyes. I already stated that confidentiality was enforced and therefore sexual abuse was covered up. Simple as that. Pleasant dreams.  :smile: "

I noticed that as well, however it did not answer the question I have proposed to those who are for some reason now all of the sudden being very evasive, and from the looks of it spamming up other threads as well.

This from the people who claim myself to be an evil neer do well?

The worst government is the most moral. One composed of cynics
is often very tolerant and human. But when fanatics are on top,
there is no limit to oppression.

--H.L. Mencken

"

Waht didn't get answered for you?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 06:31:00 PM »
Yes, come now Mr three dogs crapping, what is your question?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006, 06:38:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 10:23:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"

On 2006-04-05 10:12:00, Anonymous wrote:

"There will always be abuse in any treatment setting, but how much is another thing. I would assume that there is more than we think but I never was aware of it at staright in springfield amonst staff and clients. i ask for proof because i think it is bullshit. if it were substansiated by one person i may even be willing to revolt about it but in order for that to happed, all you mystery liars need to fess up. name a name, say something. speak out. if not you are rumor builders and just perpetuating your own anger at a bygone bunch of bullshit. where are the pummelled dykes?"

Is it possible that the abuse took place behind closed doors? The last time I checked there certainly was no training manual for how to properly sodomize a resident. If anything the ones inclined to that sort of action probably referred to the movie Deliverance.

Still my question stands. Is it possible that the abuse took place out of your vision?

I can only wonder but I somehow suspect that an abused resident is not likely to wear a sign about their necks revealing the gruesome details of their recent dehumanization. Nor would I suspect that a resident in that time period, or in most cases this time period be particularly willing to step up to the plate and face the full fury of the programs and his own peers by making an accustion against a staff member.

Just a thought or two. Have a lovely day I am going to bed.

One has to multiply thoughts to the point where there aren't enough
policemen to control them

--Stanislaw Lec

"

Maia's book clearly states that Richard was fully aware of a large number of female patients being molested. Book states in his words that he was on staff, as in he'd graduated and then returned to staff, and that the person above him was threatening to 'start him over' as being on phase one. It just sounds really fishy like all the rest of his shit he spews. Breaking and entering is not confirmed, but I'm sure as soon as I finish his chapters that poor Maia wrote it will all turn out to be the fucking shit that everyone is so used to from Ray and his pack of dickbags he runs with.

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
Shit's comin' down and i don't care...  :silly:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2006, 06:50:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 11:39:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Yet no one will answer my question? Could it be possible these sexual abuses took place out of sight and out of mind?

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals;  I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.  
-- A. Whitney Brown

"

NO they didn't. In response to your question, and in response to my original post. My original post is that I still find large fucking holes in Richard's stories of bullshit exxageration.

I am reading Maia Szalavitz book, "Help at Any Cost". She is a really good writer. But as always, I am left with a stank taste in my mouth whenever I even hear, and now read, about that idiot Richard Bradbury. He's so bogus it makes me shudder to think why someone like Maia would waste her time on him and why she didn't seek out better more qualified people to tell their story on Straight. Ray is not a human rights advocate, he's a liar.

First off, the book quotes Ray as saying, "He heard some of the female staff saying they were sexually molesting the girls in order to 'break' them". We all know the stories of the sexually humiliating verbal shit we all went through, but COME ON, Richards' done it again with his bullshit.

So the question is not whether or not it was going on, Ray said it was. The questions are different actually. - How many is 'some'? I have yet to read on the rest of Ray's chapters present in Maia's book, but she clearly states that most names that would incriminate people are deleted or changed, so I doubt the word 'some' is going to be cleared up as I read.

Let's say 'some' only means two. This means that Richard had conversations with two (or more) staff females who were literally physically and criminally touching female patients. Well, worse has happened and I'm not doubting that it might have happened, but it remains more hype that that little bitch Ray is dishing out, just like that whole bullshit 'breaking and entering' crap he spouts. Did it happen? Well, the book now says it did, but there remains no proof other than the stank taste in my mouth and bad feeling in my gut that I trust that states that Ray is an idiot circus boy out for attention.

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
So how come you keep asking the question?

Ah, nevermind....

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Shoot...

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »
As in ask the question.

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »
You had better watch yourself. Our org (IPAC) doesn't take too kindly to that sort of thing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »
I know sexual abuse happened in Straights. How could it not happen?