Author Topic: Maia Szalavitz  (Read 10745 times)

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
"Back door" good one!  :lol:

btw, IPAC stands for "International Penguins Action Committee" in case you haven't gathered that already.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »
You?? No way!! You've gotta be kidding!!  :lol:

All kinds of lovely things. You name it...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »
All of the above.. RoS

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 15:38:00, Anonymous wrote:

Book states in his words that he was on staff, as in he'd graduated and then returned to staff, and that the person above him was threatening to 'start him over' as being on phase one. It just sounds really fishy

I know of 2 staff members that were threatened with being started over if they reported shit that they saw.  They left staff and then reported it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »
What'd they see?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
Nothing new, just PBJ diets, restraints, marathoning etc.  It was right around the time period that Newton went to Jersey and Straight was promising to *clean up it's act*.

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 16:14:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

Now that the point has been conceded that it is possible that abuse has gone on out of sight and out of mind, what other back door shennanigans could have possibly occured?

Add kidnapping kids who were 18 or older to force them back into the program to the list of back door shennanigans....
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Troubled Turd

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
As a reminder we are trying to avoid any or all non-straight references so please refrain from using the words back door.

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about with that inane bullshit about windmills and mules, but it's ironic that you say what you did about backdoors as that actually was straight inc lingo.. A "back door" meant someone or something used as a potential "way out" or "way back" to one's "druggie past"

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 18:04:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"I am back as the lovely presence of my old paramour Nonconformistlaw has lulled me in to once again tilt with windmills."

Nice to see you again TSW!  :wave:

But what do you mean by 'tilt with windmills'??
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 18:28:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

How many run aways did you witness during you time in the loving bosom of the beast called straight?

Directly from the building or running period?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2006, 09:45:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 18:33:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

During your stay specifically what did you witness with your own two eyes. Of course if you are blind then it would be what you heard with your own two ears. If you are blind and deaf then one has to really question the logic of a program that treats/abuses children who are blind and deaf for substance abuse.

:lol:  :lol:

Beatings, too many to count.  

People sitting in urine and feces for hours on end.  

Extreme sleep deprivation. (One girl was kept awake for 9 days straight for not speaking or writing her MI.  She never, ever said a word to anyone the entire time she was there.  She eventually went to a mental hospital after about 3 weeks.  She stood up in group one day, completely out of the blue, reached into her jeans, pulled out a bloody Kotex and threw it at staff in front of group.  Only person I ever saw go to a hospital during the two years I was there.)

Withholding and/or limitation of food and nutrition as punishment, sometimes for weeks on end.

Girls humiliated and told they were partly responsible when they were goaded (sp?) into divulging that they had been sexually abused.

"Spit therapy"

People being lied to and told that they were court ordered when, in fact, they were not.

Total and complete isolation from the outside world including family members who didn't pass being "checked out"......

There's much more.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2006, 09:49:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 18:47:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"Seriously people I can no longer look this forum straight in the eye.

Is it a past owner him/herself who is spouting out this anon crap?

or another brain dead treatment penguin

What crap would that be?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 18:53:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"look over the forum.. randomly click a couple of threads and go see for yourself.

Surely the flippers will not keep you from using your mouse and all.

Religion is all bunk.
--Thomas Edison, American inventor

"

I was asking what specifically you were referring to.  Yep, there's a lot of shit on this site, no doubt about it.  That's why it would be helpful when asking questions like this

Is it a past owner him/herself who is spouting out this anon crap?

if you could narrow it down a bit.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2006, 10:12:00 PM »
While this is mildly entertaining I don't really see the imporatnce of finding out who that was.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Maia Szalavitz
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2006, 10:16:00 PM »
On 2006-04-05 16:14:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"I am back now the penguin issue has resolved itself for the.. well I really can not say better.

I suppose I will just have to bite the proverbial bullet and ask this question which has been on my mind all night.

Now that the point has been conceded that it is possible that abuse has gone on out of sight and out of mind, what other back door shennanigans could have possibly occured?

Please lets not use back door in this case as a reference to some bizzare non straight courting ritual.

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
--Carl Sagan, American astronomer and author

"

You seem to be having a discussion with yourself about a different topic than the one presented in the original post.

Your attempt at realizing that anything and everything, such as sexual misconduct, is possible was already stated. By stating that Maia wrote that Ray was told by female staff that the same female staff were 'breaking' the girl patients by using sexual misconduct. Got it? That you want to think that we have conceded to your misconception on this particular point is a misperception of who posted it first. Learn to read. The only frequency I can cop to about your short and useless posts is that you seem to be tired in your use of dry logic. So, let me make the first post I wrote short and logical for you.

Maia is clearly a good writer, she did herself a disservice by incorporating a liar like Richard Bradbury into her book; certainly she used him and he used her and its win/win, but it adds no credibility to her work by writing out his lies and bullshit.

Can it be proven that he B&E'd? No. Can it be proven that the sexual molestation of most of the girls in Straight by 'some' female staff members happened specifically while Ray was a staff member? No. I see your viewpoint, but its conjecture (inference from defective or presumptive evidence) you're using and it's hardly poetic nor does it make you sound any more dry than you are trying to be.

The correct viewpoint can be found and easier seen by simply focusing in on the details of what was written. And since you missed it first, and probably missed it again where I just halfquoted Maia about two paragraphs up - I'll write it again.

...Maia Szalavitz writes that Richard Bradbury remembers hearing 'some' (two or more?) female staff stating (saying) that they used sexual molesting as a means to 'break' several (three or more? apiece?) female patients...

So focus in on that for a second. Maybe you'll go to the bookstore and see what I'm saying. Maia has no less honed her craft like she has done in prior works. She takes alot of hard research and makes clear use out of it, and more to the point she is taking a hard situation and turning an obviously disturbed person's ramblings and delusions into something useful and whoever edited her material is a flawless editor no joke. I don't condone Ray's bullshit, but Maia knows exactly what I'm talking about by using specific details to focus in and weave a really good report/history! It doesn't matter that Richard happened to be around with Wes when Maia found out about boot camps and eventually fell upon thestraights.com. Could have been anyone, and anyone would have probably lied to fuck over the original owners of Straight. I haven't read any further but I'm sure Melvin Sembler is mentioned again and again in here in this book. But its not just that Ray is a fucking panzy liar, its the way he does it. He's not smooth about it, he makes no defense but instead hides like a fucking panzy when he's dead busted in lies. And so Maia has immortalized the little dickbag as such and I feel bad for Maia beyond her perfected and excellent writing on the history of boot camps.