Author Topic: St. Pete vs. VA  (Read 5073 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
St. Pete vs. VA
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2002, 07:02:00 PM »
Perception is a funny thing. Don, I've had a very similar sort of gradual realization of the scope of what had been going on around me all my life. I've realized pretty recently that I've always had sort of a dualistic perception of the whole thing.

On the one hand, The Seed open meetings and volunteer work that I did with my mother every week were just a boring pain in the ass. On the other hand, I remember that 'going to the building' feeling as I gazed out the car window marking off little landmarks along the way. In fact, I wanted so very desperately to avoid going in as a client that at the age of 15 I was willing to walk away from my home, few good friends and everything I'd ever known, even my pets, with no intention of ever going back till I was safely of age.

As I hitchhiked around aimlessly, telling my story to anyone who really wanted to hear it, I couldn't really explain what was so bad at home that I had to get away. But it was that bad. It was like suffocating.

In group in Sarasota, I only remember a couple of events that really shocked my sensibilities. The 'restraints', of course, were awful. But I viewed that as pretty much avoidable and could never understand why people subjected themselves to that kind of thing. All the rest, the daily grind and ritual were, again, just a major inconvenience that I was prepared to wait out till I could finally get away. When I finally did, I still couldn't explain to anyone what was so awful about it all. And yet I had nightmares and insomnia and intense paranoia for years following.

The most unnerving aspect of it all was that I had nothing to fall back on. I had never really known anything but life in a Program family and then in group. At 18, I realized, sitting alone on the rocks of some beach in Sarasota that I had no idea who I was. I didn't know what I liked, what I wanted, didn't have a favorite song or color or a single friend.

So breaking away was like stepping off into a void. But still, without reservation, it was better than being in!

I had no idea, until I started talking with other survivors, that anyone else ever felt this way. I thought it all had to do with my fucked up family and maybe some primal flaw in me. But I've come to realize that, aside from minor trappings, there's no significant difference in the Program from one location and date to another. The basis of the program is to steal one's personality. Whether it's done with more violence and less psychotropics, in a warehouse or a desert or a communal set-up like Synanon makes little difference. There is horrible psychological violence going on every day in these places. People who find themselves caught up in it can either unsee it for sanity's sake or get the shit kicked out of them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline dreammagician

• View Profile
St. Pete vs. VA
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2002, 08:32:00 AM »
I guess I'm too fucked up to care hardly anymore. I have tried to handle these problems for along time. I am really amazed on the impact that this program has had on my life and others. I go here sometimes just to see how fucked up others are because I know I am. Delusions and still freaked out moments about that place in St. Pete. As a matter of fact, I haven't been back to St. Pete since I left the program. If I went back I would start feeling like I was in Straight. Well, maybe I can get over these problems, I laugh usually about these things. I just want to live, be happy , do what I want to do in the name of peace, that is all I want. I do not want strong love anymore, to me I equate this with disaster. Sorry, but I really want to make people see that straight wasn't what it was all crocked up to be. All these post seem like little dreams to me, reminders of problems that really need to be addressed, solved, and diluted.

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
St. Pete vs. VA
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2002, 10:05:00 AM »
Hi Dreamman....you say that you want to find peace and tranquility in your life. I spent many years searching for just that...and while I myself was not physically abused at Straight, what I witnessed was enough to do a number on my psyche. I offer to you the only source that has provided me with relief of the conflict in my head.....Tibetean Buddhism. Read some of the works of the Dalai Lama...."The Art of Happiness" is a superior book designed to allow you to let go of negatives that have altered and affected your life. It is not religious, it is spiritual. It is difficult to read at times because it opens wounds, but it opens no more than being on these threads, and may help you to close them. Perhaps you could find some peace thru this avenue. Just a thought...Cecile
The New Definition of BITCH....Babe In Total Control of Herself!!

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
St. Pete vs. VA
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2002, 03:46:00 PM »
Antigen, I understand you saying that restraints were avoidable but the options were these get sat up and sit up ect ect or someone tries to sit you up and you get taken to the floor. I felt that was a no win situation. They sit me up and I do, they win, they sit me up and I try to knock them out and get taken down, who wins? Not I but not them either. Make sense in a nonsense way? I would rather we all lost then them win in any way. Nuts I guess but still a basic part of my personality to this day. I will cut my nose off to spite my face. Must be an Aries thing :grin:
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do