Author Topic: Movie: Out of the Shadow  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Movie: Out of the Shadow
« on: May 19, 2005, 07:52:00 AM »
I saw a presentation of the movie:
Out of the Shadow last night.

I highly recommend it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
or those who don\'t understand my position, on all subjects:

* Understand the law and your rights.

* Make sure you have the freedom of choice.

* Seek and receive unbiased information and
know the source of information.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 07:53:00 AM »
http://www.cartercenter.org/healthprogr ... _adoc6.htm

Mental Health Program       

The following work was created by a Rosalynn Carter Journalism Fellow. To learn more about the fellowship program, click here.

Capturing an illness's frustrations    

By    
     Tom Davis    
     1 Mar 2005    

Up and down. Up and down. For years, that's how things went for Susan Smiley.

Her 63-year-old mother suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. She's been in and out of psychiatric facilities in the Chicago area. She took, and then didn't take, her medication.

Up and down. Up and down. Smiley got tired of it.

"I was sort of at wit's end with all the trials and tribulations," said Smiley, 38. "I wanted to just channel my frustrations."

One day Smiley, a filmmaker, picked up her camera and followed her mother around. She captured her pain, her unpredictability. What evolved was a nearly five-year odyssey - all caught on film - that became the subject of a cinematic exposé of the highs and lows of her mother's mental health care.

Smiley's "Out of the Shadow" is a 67-minute documentary that presents a frank and somewhat surprising account of her mother's lifelong battle with mental illness. It was Smiley's first independently funded film, helped by donations from friends and family and some grants.

The Care Plus Foundation, Bergen County's largest mental health agency, is offering a public screening of "Out of the Shadow" at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the Hekemian Conference Center at Hackensack University Medical Center. PBS plans to air the documentary later this year, Smiley says.

As an independent filmmaker, Smiley is working hard to attract publicity. But she makes it clear she's not shooting for box-office magic or Oscar acclaim (although she'd readily accept either or both).

She wants people to realize that anyone with a mental illness is not far removed from the often ignored homeless who linger on city streets. The film wants people to recognize that they very likely know someone who is mentally ill.

And Smiley challenges them to act - much as she did.

Fittingly, the movie begins with a view of homeless people, with Smiley noting in her narration that "when I pass them, I think they could be my mother." But they don't have a loving daughter willing to fly halfway across the country to care for them, she notes.

"It's very stressful," Smiley, who operates out of the Los Angeles area, said of her mother's care. "I didn't want her to be homeless."

In the film, Smiley takes the viewer on a ride through psychiatric hospitals, doctor visits and other situations that involved her mother. Through it all, you're asking: What will happen to Millie? How bad can it get?

Smiley and her younger sister, who is featured prominently in the film, lived with their mother's mental illness since they were born. When their father left them early on, they had to face their mother's illness largely on their own.

"One thing I cover in the film is the culture of denial," Smiley said. "It's easier to turn a blind eye than to say, 'Millie said something really bizarre today' and not pursue it any further."

In the movie, Smiley shows home movies of her mother's playfulness. But she doesn't do it to present a gratuitous feel-good moment. She does it to show irony.

The home movies portray Millie's mood swings as dramatic. She would go from being sweet, sensitive and gleeful to verbally and physically abusive. Or, as Smiley says, "demonic."

Halfway through the film, Millie is shown sitting in her mother's old house, one of the many she lost as she bounced from treatment facility to treatment facility. In the scene, Millie hadn't taken her medication in weeks. She unleashes a litany of obscenities.

"When mom's illness takes over," Susan Smiley says in the film, "I become the enemy."

But then, in another scene, Susan is shown driving with her mother during a brief afternoon leave from a psychiatric facility. They chat; they meet with friends; they shop. Susan Smiley remarks how Millie seems happier than she seemed to be in a long time.

"It's because you're here," said her mother.

As the film illustrates, Susan Smiley and her sister ultimately take stock of themselves, and their situation. They go to court and obtain guardianship rights over their mother. They're not only able to point her in the right direction; with the power of the law behind them they force the issue. When Millie falls off her medication, loses her mental stability and reacts adversely, the daughters provide a safety net.

It is through these means that Millie ultimately finds stability and some peace. The daughters direct her to a group home, where her medication schedule is monitored. She gets a job as a dishwasher - one she has to this day.

"I think it's important to show that there's hope for recovery," Smiley said. "It just requires being educated."

The Coping column appears every other Tuesday. To suggest topics, write to Tom Davis, The Record, 150 River St., Hackensack, NJ 07601 or e-mail http://www.northjersey.com

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »
http://www.newyorkcityvoices.org/2004ja ... 04034.html

Out of the Shadow

NEW YORK CITYVOICES: January/March 2004

By Roxanne Hoffman

I had the good fortune to catch a special screening of Susan Smiley's new documentary film ?Out of the Shadow? at the New School, a film Susan clearly made with a lot of love and with a lot of guts about her mother, Millie, who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. The film hold no punches as it that tells the story of how Susan and her sister Tina survived a tormented childhood, having been abandoned by their father to the abuse of their mother, only to grow up to have to contend with her continuing illness and the Illinois public health system.

In an ironic twist of fate, in order to get any information from the hospitals, social workers and the doctors, Susan and Tina become guardians for Millie, and, despite Tina?s literally lying to her mother, eventually help Millie to maneuver through the public health system to get into a group home and into a successful rehabilitation program.

The film opens with Susan on the road in search of her mother who once again has disappeared into the public health care system. Through old photos, home movies, interviews with relatives and Susan's narration, we see Millie as a young and beautiful woman in her twenties, one who resembles Grace Kelly more than a little, but who frequently seems to be looking into space. This troubled woman, who is unable to hold onto her husband or any job, whose older daughter Susan moves out to live with her father at 12, whose younger daughter Tina, still at home with mom, attempts suicide, eventually loses her home and all of her money. She spends much of her life, getting evicted from temporary housing, disappearing in and out of hospitals and at one point winds up in a nursing home, the very place she swears she will never allow herself to be placed. It?s at this juncture, when Millie is at her lowest and refusing to take medication that Tina decides to lie to her mother in order to get her to sign a release form to submit to medication. Tina tells Millie that she is signing a release form that will allow her to come home. And Tina continues to lie to Millie to explain away her continued hospitalization as just another delay. The lies work. Millie takes her medication and becomes stable enough to pass a series of interviews to get into a permanent group home. And fortunately for Tina, the lying doesn?t seem to have any impact on their relationship.

At the end of the film, we find Millie, now 60, glad to get up in the morning to go to her job, glad to have a home to go to at the end of the day, and spending a seemingly happy Christmas Day with her daughter Susan and her ex-husband's family.

Many of us who will get to see this film will be moved to tears. Many of us will be rudely reminded of our shortcomings as human beings. As a consumer and as family member, I found myself projected on the screen in a way that I normally like to keep in the shadow. Like Millie, as a consumer I have abused my family. Like Susan and her father, as a family member, I have abandoned my mother who is also a consumer. But the movie can also remind us that as human beings, if we band together we can also succeed to overcome our shortcomings. And it may remind us to count our blessings, to be grateful for and to share our little triumphs. My husband and my mother never abandoned me. And I have returned to being an active participant in my mother's life. Like Millie, who voices her concern during the film that her identity is buried by the label of paranoid schizophrenia, I am more than my illness. Much of the humorous moments and insightful comments during the film are offered by Millie herself. I?m most thankful that Susan, Tina and Millie are sharing their little triumphs with us by making this film. Some things need to be let out of the shadow.