Author Topic: Need the lowdown on the Anti-Piracy warning  (Read 2240 times)

Offline `

• View Profile
Need the lowdown on the Anti-Piracy warning
« on: May 18, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
so i got the new Jack Johnson cd, and a friend of mine pointed out the Anti-Piracy warning on the back. he was saying something like that means you can't rip it or copy it. uhm, so far i have ripped it into my music thing, and made a copy or two for people. i never listened to the copies the whole way through, but they seemed to have all the songs on them. as for the music program i play my music with, it does seem to be fucking up a little bit when i play it, like there is one song it gets to and starts, then it skips to another song, then another. but i think some songs it plays fine.

left to my own devices, i will try ripping it again & see if that fixes things, but my friend said maybe you can only rip it or burn it a certain number of times...

i guess i understand the motivation behind it, but come on Jack Johnson, people like to pass music around. that's how you get heard. people aren't going to buy every cd that comes out but if their friends turn them on to it they might buy the next one.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »
From what I have gathered, all that this means is that it won't let you create an image file of the CD.
You can still rip it to audio files (.mp3, .wav, etc.) just like you can with any other CD.

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »
I'm too broke to be buying all the good stuff out there.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 07:06:00 PM »
Oh, some of the discussion and debate in this area is fascinating. Awhile back, Congress was talking (writing) about trying to outlaw any sort of recording of any copyrighted material by any means. I'm talking like you send your friend some video or a still shot from your cell phone and catch whatever's on TV or on the radio in the backgroun. That's the level of control they most delusionally thought they could excercise.

Things are getting weird in many ways, though. Even if the original photog died years ago and never willed the negatives to anyone. Even if negatives are destroyed, it's illegal for anybody to make copies from original prints if they're copyrighted. They're actually enforcing it around here. If you take a pro portrait of yourself or your family to Staples and ask them to copy it they won't do it. There are a lot of ways around that, but it seems rediculous to me even to try and control content on that level!

No synonym for God is so perfect as Beauty. Whether as seen carving the lines of the mountains with glaciers, or gathering matter into stars, or planning the movements of water, or gardening - still all is Beauty!
-- John Muir

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline linchpin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
"Soulseek" its spyware free...and free.
Get all the music you want..
http://www.slsknet.org/download.html

Hate...gets me off[ This Message was edited by: linchpin on 2005-05-24 08:47 ]
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Toothfairy_TP/u100.gif[/img]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »
Here's some of the crazy shit that happens if you taunt a big corp:

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?So ... 2&forum=11

Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other.
--James Madison

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline `

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
are you saying someone could get in trouble for using that free soulseek thing?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 11:17:00 AM »
On 2005-05-18 11:57:00, fka wrote:

left to my own devices, i will try ripping it again & see if that fixes things, but my friend said maybe you can only rip it or burn it a certain number of times...

Let me share a little story with you....

When they first came out with the VCR people were copying movies like mad. After time, what was done to solve this was for the manufactures to make changes to not only the tapes but the equipment that runs them. In this manner , you could still make copy of the movies but it would not be a good "clean" copy. the only exception was using an older VCR, which did not pay attention to the copy protection.

With that being said, keep this in mind. A CD is a permanent burn, so what is ther is there, ther is no such thing as being able to only copy X number of times. That is unless it has to do with the software you use. Basically, what I would suggest to one and all, is to get your hands on the oldest working software for ripping and making ISO images and keep it. Never let it GO. As long as the standard lasts for the CD format, you will be in business, no matter what future software changes are made to prevent copying :silly:

Offline linchpin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 10:44:00 AM »
On 2005-05-28 07:51:00, fka wrote:

"are you saying someone could get in trouble for using that free soulseek thing?"

Hell naw
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Toothfairy_TP/u100.gif[/img]