Author Topic: Involuntary Committment... Notice Any Similarities  (Read 17228 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Involuntary Committment... Notice Any Similarities
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2005, 07:13:00 AM »
I had very good insurance through my employer when I had my baby 9 years ago. He was almost 9 lbs. I was in labor for 15 hours even after the dose of petocin. His labor was induced a week early due to my high blood pressure and being ill with a severe sinus infection. I got an epidural during most of this 15 hours. 30 minutes before he came out, they told me he was in distress and they were going to have to do a C section if it didnt happen soon. I didnt end up having one, but he was born with a collapsed lung, and was in ICU for 5 days. They later told me they should have done a C section due to his size and stress with the long labor. In my case, it should have been done but wasnt. That wasnt the doctors trying to force me to have a C section to make things easier, it was doctors trying to AVOID doing one until it was absolutely necessary. And I had insurance. So your view of all doctors wanting to do c sections is narrow. Most of the time they try NOT to do them nowadays. 4 ladies have had babies in the past year where I work. And only 1 had a c section due to a heart condition with the baby and they took it a month early. Sometimes C sections save lives.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2005, 02:09:00 PM »
Megan,
Yes, it?s the doctor?s job to intervene when there is good reason to. My personal opinion is that they intervene too often without good cause.  In case you missed it, I did have the last two of my three kids at home.

My daughter?s friends are in the child-bearing years. Am I to imagine that the twelve+ women I?ve known over the past four years, who all had planned Cs or ended up with one, are just isolated incidents.
What I noticed and thought very peculiar, is that the most common question posed to the mother at social gathering or the shower, ?you having a C-section or having it naturally?, which indicated to me that Cs are commonly accepted as a ?non-emergency? option for moms. That seems to be supported by the comments here:
http://www.babycenter.com/comments/preg ... dbirth/221

How is ?extended? defined?  ?Ineffective labor?? I?m wondering if this phenomenon is related to the general poor health of women, therefore fetus, these days. Problems associated with overweight for instance. Lack of effective coaching and quality pre-natal care.

My daughter did request ?no pitocin?. The doctor scared her into agreeing.  She also requested that my grandson not be given a bottle in the nursery. They arrogantly ignored that simple request.

I found this relevant:
A labor induced with synthetic oxytocin, for instance, is chemically and functionally different from a natural labor. Until recently it required the on-site supervision of the attending physician. Why doesn't it still?
According to the obstetric literature, oxytocin is barely present in the mother's blood in a natural labor until she's fully dilated and even then only at a fraction of the levels commonly used in induction. Parke-Davis, the manufacturer of Pitocin, warns that the dose of this drug that individual women can tolerate varies in unpredictable ways. An overdose can produce unusually strong and frequent contractions that stress the fetus, which may cause it to dump meconium into the amniotic fluid. This kind of hyperlabor can also rip the margins of the placenta and other tissue, exposing veins, releasing clotting factors, and opening the fast route to the mother's bloodstream, resulting in AFE.

Given that pitocin is regularly used and causes unnaturally strong, but largely ineffective contractions, I have to wonder if this isn?t at least in part, the reason there are so many birth complications these days.

Anon, was your baby full term with mature lungs (adequate surfactant)?  It is my understanding that a collapsed lung is usually due to a lack of surfactant, a hole in the lung, or some situation in which air manages to get into the chest cavity. I?m curious to know how the long labor contributed to this condition, if you know.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2005, 06:19:00 PM »
He was completely full term....less then a week early....almost 9 lbs....big head, big shoulders, long body, and completely healthy with the exception of the collapsed lung (pneumothorax) which was due to long labor and him taking a very strong large breath upon coming out. They performed a minor surgery, reinflated the lung and he was in neonatal icu for 5 days. He was in the birth canal for over 18 hours and heart rate was becoming more rapid as the day wore on. They later realized he was actually too big of a baby for me to have comfortably delivered vaginally without damage (15 stitches) and would have done the C section for the reasons that ended up happening, had they realized he was that big. I had only gained 25 lbs and they thought he was about 7 lbs. he is now completely healthy without any breathing problems whatsoever.

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »
The number of "complications" during birth are nminimal compared to those generations and centuries back!  That much I do know.  

I'm not denying that there are an increased number of c-sections done.  But you cannot possibly believe that c-sections are so rampant as a result of the physicians' desire to go home!  

Like I said before, I am not expert on OBGYN.  But before you come to such accusatory conclusions, I would suggest that you read some medical books on the subject, like those read by young OBGYNs during their training, and not just those websites designed for laypeople.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2005, 08:19:00 PM »
Hi

I'm sorry to interrupt the conversation here, but I just ran across this forum and I had a question regarding a friend that seems to be relevant.

If someone is involuntarily committed by a judge for two weeks because of a suicide attempt, is that considered to be a conviction of a crime?  It is a civil matter, and is not labelled as a misdemeanor or felony.  But if a job application asks, is it considered a conviction?

Thank you for any response you may have.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2005, 08:58:00 PM »
No, it is not a conviction.
Just a hospitalization.

It does not need to be reported,
unless the application asks for
psychiatric condition, or
hospitalizations.

Then it is up to the applicant to
reveal it or not. There are varying
opinions on what to do. I tell
everthing, others don't. Most
companies cannot find out, and at
worst it will give them grounds
to fire the applicant, if they
want to later on. This is not that
relevant either, since most states
are at-will employers

In California I believe the only
ramnification is that gun ownership
is prohibited for 10 years. That
is what I was told, so it is hearsay
until confirmed.

What state is he in?

I can give you a referral to find out any questions
or those who don\'t understand my position, on all subjects:

* Understand the law and your rights.

* Make sure you have the freedom of choice.

* Seek and receive unbiased information and
know the source of information.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks Paul!

The state is Oregon and he decided not to put it on the application.  It is a gray area though since how can someone be on probation for something that is not a crime?

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »
Correct, it is a forced medical decision,
not a criminal conviction.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2005, 04:27:00 PM »
http://www.oradvocacy.org/

Oregon Advocacy Center
620 SW 5th Avenue, 5th Floor
Portland, Oregon, 97204-1428
503-243-2081 (Voice)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2005, 08:06:00 PM »
On 2005-05-17 17:18:00, Deborah wrote:

"

My daughter is adult and makes her own choices, many, many times different than I would choose. I?m sure it was real similar to the reason you couldn?t influence your roommate to take drugs.

She ended up with a C-section because the dr was tired of waiting. Maybe he had a dinner date, who knows. Could have something to do with the fact that a C-section elevate a simple birth to a risky surgery procedure, and the price goes up exponentially. But, I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.  :roll:  She regretted letting him rush her.

?Jeeperz, you say natural unassisted childbirth, then use a mid-wife! ?

Did you misunderstand, or are you desperate, pulling at straws there?

Who?s reactionary here?

My solutions to what, Paul?

I would be shocked if the number of frivolous lawsuits was anywhere near what they?d have us to believe. Who?s tracking them? Where?s the list of those injured and what their injuries were? Who determines if they are frivolous or not?  If you?re asking me to take someone?s (the industry's) word for it, no thanks. There are too many factors that have not been addressed, not enough disclosed.

"

"conspiracy delusions"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »
On 2005-05-26 17:58:00, Paul wrote:

"No, it is not a conviction.

Just a hospitalization.

hospitalizations.

are at-will employers

until confirmed.

What state is he in?

I can give you a referral to find out any questions "

may I have permission to make this into a gangsta rap song?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2006, 01:51:00 AM »
Help Us Free Sharon Naji  
Date: Tuesday, March 21st 2006
Time: 10:00 AM
Bellevue Hospital, 462 First Ave., 19 Floor, Mental Hygiene Court
Manhattan, New York

Come to support Sharon Naji regain her freedom. She has been kept locked up against her will at St. Vincent Catholic Medical Center for 2 weeks at their Psychiatric Ward.

Mental Hygiene Courts are a bizarre place where mostly poor people are railroaded and with the blessings of those crooked Judges, people are kept as Slaves for life.

Sharon, an African American Freedom Fighter from Parents in Action is being targeted after appearing at the Gil Noble Show "Like It Is"
denouncing the Child Exploitation Industry (Foster Care).

She is not crazy and has Been Repeatedly Beaten for Refusing to take Their Drugs.  She is Kept Drugged most of the time and can barely walk. They want to use 16 different Drugs plus electroshock on her in order to shrink and fry her brain.

On Tuesday, March 21, 2006 at 10:00AM she will be brought under guard to Bellevue's Mental Hygiene Court to determine her future. Come and support her. Let's Fill the Courtroom!

Demand Her Freedom from this Band of Criminal & Racist Psychiatrists who Make Money by Enslaving People.  Her Children are Slaves in Foster Care & She is Now a Prisoner at Their Psychiatric Ward. This Beast insists in Destroying the Whole Family.

Call St. Vincent Hospital at 212-604-7000 & ask to speak to Leonard Walsh, its Executive Director and demand her freedom.

Please, Spread Far and Wide
Parents in Action, http://www.parentsinaction.net, 347-624-4830

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »
On 2005-08-12 17:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-05-26 17:58:00, Paul wrote:

"No, it is not a conviction.

Just a hospitalization.

hospitalizations.

are at-will employers

until confirmed.

What state is he in?

I can give you a referral to find out any questions "

may I have permission to make this into a gangsta rap song?"

:nworthy:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »
Talk with policymakers and opinion leaders. Even if they see substantial barriers to immediate implementation, convince them to acknowledge the concept of an entitlement as valid. Take them to visit successful community-based programs supporting people with serious mental illnesses.

http://www.bazelon.org/issues/mentalhea ... vision.pdf

[Religion is] the daughter of hope and fear, explaining to ignorance the nature of the unknowable.
--Ambrose Bierce

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »
Can ANYONE really be made to receive electro shock therapy against their will??   Especially in New York, where the healthcare system is completely overwhelmed.  

I mean, I know of an adult woman, a long-time sufferer of schizophrenia, and her family oversaw her care for many many years, they finally asked the State of New York to take custody of her, and they refused.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School