Author Topic: www.DAREgeneration.com  (Read 985 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
www.DAREgeneration.com
« on: May 09, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »
http://www.DAREgeneration.com
----------

Friends,

On Thursday, Ross and I attended the ONDCP's drug testing summit in
Pittsburgh, PA.  Our objective was simple: prevent the ONDCP from being
able to present itself as all-knowing and authoritative on the topic of
student drug testing in front of an audience of open-minded educators and
school officials who are rightly concerned with preventing substance abuse
among their students.

Since summit attendees were truly concerned with keeping their students
safe, our primary argument against drug testing was that it simply does
not work.  The largest study ever conducted on the topic looked at 722
schools and 76,000 students and found no difference in drug use between
schools that test their students and those that don't.  ONDCP is well
aware of this study and has been attacking its methodology for some time
now.

They also have a handful of studies of their own that they cite as
"evidence" drug testing does work, but the truth is that these only look
at a handful of schools and have methodological problems of their own.  We
(with some help from DPA) prepared a handout that outlines the
shortcomings of the three of the studies most commonly cited by ONDCP.

In this way, we shifted the burden of proof back (where it belongs) onto
drug testing proponents who must show that the practice works before
asking schools to adopt this invasive, costly, and potentially
counterproductive approach to drug abuse prevention.  Proponents are
pushing testing onto schools well before the necessary research that will
show whether or not the practice actually works.

We also passed out a flyer with information about the PA Supreme Court's
recent ruling that restricts drug testing in the state.  The idea here was
to make sure that school officials who are thinking about adopting drug
testing know they're likely to face lengthy and costly lawsuits from
angered parents and students.

Reformers should be aware that the ONDCP has fully adopted rhetoric about
drug abuse as a public health problem.  Since it is a pediatric onset
communicable disease (like tuberculosis), they say, we must test young
people.  They claim that testing is nonpunitive and confidential and that
they just want to be able to identify those that need help.

But testing students who want to participate in extracurricular activities
only deters students who do use drugs from joining the activities in the
first place because they don't want to be tested.  In this way, the stated
aim of drug testing is undermined because the very students who ONDCP says
they want to help won't be identified since they aren't putting themselves
in the position of being tested.

Ross asked a question to this effect and got a complete nonanswer from a
researcher at Ball St. University (who conducted one of the three studies
commonly cited by ONDCP).  The educators in the audience must have
noticed.

Earlier in the day, when deputy drug czar Mary Ann Solberg finished her
opening remarks, I followed members of the media (who were following her)
into the ONDCP's press room.  Before she began taking questions, I
announced to the room that if any members of the press wanted to hear from
opponents of drug testing they could talk with me to learn SSDP's
perspective.  All of them immediately raised their hands and expressed
interest in talking to me after the depty drug czar finished.  So I sat
down, interested to hear how she was going to answer reporters' questions.
 But as soon as I did, two gentlemen from the ONDCP asked me to leave the
room because, apparently, only credentialed reporters were allowed there.
So I left and waited in the hallway.

As journalists trickled out of the ONDCP's interview room, each came up to
me, very interested in what I had to say about the topic.  I ended up
doing interviews with two television network affiliates, the two largest
papers in Pittsburgh, a smaller community paper, a college paper, and a
radio news broadcast that is syndicated on 13 stations.

Here are three of the articles that resulted from the summit:

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v05/n736/a11.html
Beaver County Times - Should Schools Do Random Drug Tests?

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v05/n736/a06.html
Pittsburgh Tribune Review - Deputy Drug Czar Touts Student Drug Testing

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v05/n730/a06.html
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Drug Summit Pushes Random Testing of Students

Later, when asked what she thought of drug testing opponents' arguments, I
overheard Solberg telling a journalist she's "concerned" students are
organizing against drug testing.  Clearly, our efforts are
meaningful when a federal drug official tells the media that she's
concerned about us.

I also got a chance to meet good ol' Joyce Nalepka, who refused to shake
my hand and also took the opportunity to inform me and a reporter I was
sitting with about DPA's "new safe crack smoking device." (Does anyone
have any idea what she's talking about?)  Joyce came off as crazy and
unreasonable, which the reporter I was with definitely took note of.

Throughout the day. Ross and I had encouraging conversations with school
officials who were opposed to or skeptical about student drug testing.  At
the conclusion of the summit, an official from the Department of Education
asked how many folks were thinking of taking advantage of the federal
grant money that's been made available for student drug testing.  Only
five or six people in the room raised their hands.

Overall, I think we were successful in throwing a wrench in the spokes of
ONDCP's drug testing machine.  Special thanks to Jenny Kern and others at
DPA for supplying us with materials to pass out along with our own
materials.

If anyone on this list is planning on going to this Wednesday's summit in
Portland, OR, please get in touch with me to strategize.

Regards,
Tom Angell, Communications Director
Students for Sensible Drug Policy
1623 Connecticut Ave NW; Suite 300
Washington, DC 20009
phone: (202) 293-4414
cell: (202) 557-4979
fax: (202) 293-8344
http://www.DAREgeneration.com

I turned to speak to God, About the world's despair; But to make bad matters worse, I found God wasn't there.
--Robert Frost, American poet

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
www.DAREgeneration.com
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »
The administration has budgeted $25 million in the FY 2006 budget for grants to "support schools in the design and implementation of programs to randomly screen selected students and to intervene with assessment, referral, and intervention for students whose test results indicate they have used illicit drugs."

In other words, Büsh has just handed DFAF $25 million with which to do a little more coercive recruiting.

I've hung out w/ the SSDP and DPA people before. They're good ppl and good company; a lot less morose than what usually transpires around here. And they're doing our work for us. Anybody who's wondering what to do this summer for a little fun, diversion and civic health might consider checking out these organizations event calendars.

Feature: ONDCP Student Drug Testing Road Show Dogged by "Truth Squads" 5/13/05
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/386/roadshow.shtml

A four-city road show organized by the Drug Policy Alliance and 2002 Supreme Court decision okaying suspicionless drug testing of students involved in extracurricular activities. The Supreme Court had already approved the testing of student athletes in 1995.

"Out of that litigation, we decided our strategy would be to craft a campaign to give parents and educators the tools to challenge drug testing in their areas," said Kern. "We've been working very closely with SSDP," Kern said, "and the ACLU Drug Policy Litigation Project, and NORML is very involved in the drug testing issue, too. We are just a few small voices in opposition to drug testing, but because of our presence at the ONDCP summits, they are aware of us and they feel like they have to address our points. We are making them pause."

DPA laid the groundwork for participants in the four cities, Kern said. "We sent out action alerts encouraging our members to go to the summits, we provided an online tool kit, we had fact sheets, fliers, and suggested questions all ready," said Kern. "And we created a web site ? http://www.drugtestingfails.org -- where people can access more material."

The first stop on the summit tour was Dallas. Led by ONDCP deputy director Mary Anne Solberg and Drug Free Schools Coalition director David Evans, the panelists told assembled educators and interested citizens that drug testing was a proven means for reducing teen drug use. But while Solberg and her fellow panelists touted science, their spiels were designed to appeal to the emotions. Solberg, for example, regaled the audience with the tale of the high school cheerleader who took one toke from a joint and ended up as a heroin addict seven months later.

Suzy Wills of the Marsha Rosenbaum facing off against drug czar John Walters in a battle of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette op-ed pieces. And waiting for the summiteers in the audience were SSDP communications and legislative directors Tom Angell and Ross Wilson.

"Our objective was to prevent the ONDCP from being able to present itself as all-knowing and authoritative on the topic of student drug testing in front of an audience of open-minded educators and school officials who are rightly concerned with preventing substance abuse among their students," said Angell. "Since summit attendees were truly concerned with keeping their students safe, our primary argument against drug testing was that it simply does not work."

Angell and Wilson came prepared with materials debunking claims of drug testing's efficacy, including the results of the largest study ever conducted on the topic. Done by researchers at Parents Ending Prohibition, who attended along with three members of http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/opb/n ... _ID=771181

Feds Offer Grants for Surprise Student Drug Tests

By Kristian Foden-Vencil

PORTLAND, OR 2005-05-11 - The Bush Administration sent one of its deputy drug-tsars to a Portland summit Wednesday to talk about random drug testing in schools. The feds say they're not pushing surprise tests, but they will offer $25 million worth of grants to schools that take up the idea.

In 1998, the rural school district of Tecumseh, Oklahoma, adopted a new policy. It required all middle and high school students to consent to a drug test if they wanted to participate in extracurricular activities. Those activities included everything from football to the Future Homemakers of America club.

The parents of Lindsay Earls, who was in the choir, the marching band and the National Honor Society, filed suit saying it was an invasion of privacy. Four years later the US Supreme Court ruled--by the narrowest of margins-- that such testing is legal, as long as the students are in extra-curricular activities.

Mary Ann Solberg, the deputy
 director of the White House's Office of Drug Policy, says since then dozens of school districts have instituted similar pop-drug-tests and they work:

Mary Ann Solberg: We're finding that they're seeing higher graduation rates, higher participation in extra-curricula activities, lower rates of violence.

Solberg says many school districts don't realize that the meaning of an extra-curricular activity can be widely defined; for example, it's been stretched to include all kids that drive to school. She also says that while urinalysis tests cost between $18 and $80, only 10% of a student body needs to be tested:

Mary Ann Solberg: So it's a very low cost program. But yet it's a program that deters, because you never know if your number is going to come up.

She says school districts don't have to prosecute kids with positive tests, but they can refer students to counseling and inform their parents.

Solberg was just one of about a hundred people at the
 Portland summit. Kevin Lamson a father with two kids in the Medford School District also attended. He's been trying to get his district to institute drug tests.

Kevin Lamson: You know, as a parent, when you're asking those pertinent questions: Do kids at your school do drugs? And you would here: Well yeah, just about everybody does. And you think that they're over stating it. So you don't pay any attention, and when you're starting to hear it for a second time coming around. All of a sudden something clicked, and you ought to find out if what they're saying is the truth.

He first started thinking about bringing in motivational speakers--like an athlete or an astronaut--to explain how they succeeded without drugs. Then he stumbled on the idea of random testing. He says that just the rumor that the school district is considering the idea, is helping kids.

Kevin Lamson: I had a 17 year-old come up to me at a pizza parlor. He said, 'Mr. Lamson, I want you to know
 I appreciate what you're doing.' He said parents don't realize how hard and how bad it really is . So that's evidence that it's working.

Chris Stephner also attended the Portland Summit. She is the principal of Hackets Town High School in New Jersey. She has about 1,000 students--three quarters of whom attend some kind of extracurricular activity. Of those about 10% are tested each year.

Chris Stephner: We believe it's made a difference in terms of deterrent. It hasn't impacted certainly the kids that are very involved in drug use, because they still are. So we have other programs in place for those. The purpose of doing a random drug-testing program is to really deter students who are at the beginning uses of drug use, or use occasionally or minimally. And are willing to give up that drug use to continue doing something else - like be a member of the football team or the soccer team or the cheerleading squad. So it gives them a reason at a party to say, I might get
 tested on Monday I can't take a chance.

But that's not how it works, according to Sandee Burbank, of Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse. The Oregon group tries to educate young people about the dangers of drug use so they can make informed choices.

She says it's the involvement in extra-curricular activities that deters kids from using drugs in the first place.

Sandee Burbank: When the first thing that you have to do is drug test to be involved in any of these extracurricular activities, what we believe is that those students turn away from it completely and then you don't have a chance to engage them or reach out to them at all.

Burbank says drug testing is expensive and many studies also show it doesn't work.

Sandee Burbank: Any parent can walk into a store and buy a drug testing kit. If somebody has that kind of relationship with their child, then I think they should use those drug-testing kits to deal with their own child. Meanwhile I don't
 have that kind of distrustful relationship with my children so I don't think that the schools are an appropriate place to do something like this.

The White House says drug use is decreasing in general, with a 17% drop in the last three years. Still, more than five million people end up in treatment each year, one quarter of whom are under the age of 18.

© Copyright 2005, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ParentsEndingProhibition/

• To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

• Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

I turned to speak to God, About the world's despair; But to make bad matters worse, I found God wasn't there.
    --Robert Frost, American poet

• « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
    "Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
    ~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes