Author Topic: 13 year is killed in Teen Residential Program  (Read 8855 times)

Offline RN on Board

• View Profile
13 year is killed in Teen Residential Program
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »
State probes boy's death at outdoor camp
Center's risky punishment cited

By JILL YOUNG MILLER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/06/05
Counselors at a state-run camp for troubled youngsters held a 13-year-old Douglas County boy facedown on the ground for an hour and a half before he stopped breathing and later died, state records show.

The counselors subdued Travis Parker using a hold that has been banned by the state Department of Juvenile Justice because officials there consider it too dangerous.

EMAIL THIS
PRINT THIS
MOST POPULAR

Travis, who had asthma, died on April 21, the day after he was restrained by at least three counselors at the Appalachian Wilderness Camp, an outdoor therapeutic program in Cleveland, in the North Georgia mountains.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is looking into the matter, and the results of an autopsy are pending, said GBI spokesman John Bankhead.

The boy was "placed in a full basket restraint due to his acting out behavior," according to a Department of Juvenile Justice report obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution under the Open Records Law.

The Juvenile Justice Department doesn't allow its workers to use the hold. "We don't use any holds that could possibly restrict a child's ability to breathe," said Bill Reilly, the agency's chief of staff.

The camp is one of two operated by the state Department of Human Resources. Troubled children aged 6 to 17 are placed there from a variety of sources, including the juvenile justice system and mental health programs. On average, the children stay less than 12 months.

Reilly said that his department had been assured by DHR officials that the facedown restraint would no longer be used on children at the wilderness camp.

The DHR refused to discuss the case, but a department spokeswoman said it allowed its employees to use the "basket restraint."

"Yes, that restraint is continuing to be used," said DHR spokeswoman Dena Smith, who said the department was reviewing the "application of the restraint, as well as all policy and procedures."

While the details of what happened the night Travis was restrained are sketchy, the Juvenile Justice Department's incident report suggests that counselors were trying to place the boy under control after an outburst.

The report says that boys at the camp began misbehaving at about 3 p.m. on April 20 and continued "acting out" until 10 p.m.

By then, 11 campers had missed their evening meal because of their behavior, the report said. When two campers were rewarded with food for being good, Travis "became enraged," the report said. A counselor grabbed him by his jacket, Travis resisted, and the counselor "put him in a full basket restraint." The report did not identify the counselor.

One counselor held Travis from behind, crossing the boy's arms against his chest, the report said. The boy "was taken to the ground, where another counselor was holding his legs and another counselor holding the hip area," the report said. "The camper is face down during the entire time."

A counselor told authorities that the boy had to be restrained after about 10 p.m., according to an incident report filed with the White County Sheriff's Department. The boy started having trouble breathing, and camp officials called 911.

Before an ambulance arrived, the boy quit breathing and staffers started CPR, the sheriff's report said. He was taken to a hospital in Gainesville and transferred to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston. He died the next day.

Staff members at the wilderness camp have been put on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.

A Douglas County Juvenile Court judge committed Travis to juvenile justice custody after a community group recommended placing him in an outdoor therapeutic program, Reilly said. Being in the agency's custody expedites a child's placement in such a program.

Reilly was unsure why Travis was in court, but he said the boy had a history with juvenile justice authorities. He had his first brush with the law at about age 9, Reilly said.

Wilderness therapy programs take children who are addicted to drugs, in trouble with the law or out of control at home and school and put them in a primitive outdoor setting where they must learn to live and work together.

The Juvenile Justice Department has about 20 children at the camp, which has room for 50, Reilly said. Travis entered the camp in February, records show.

The boy lived in the small town of Winston with his grandmother. The boy's family members could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Peggy Walker, a Douglas County Juvenile Court judge who knew Travis and attended his funeral last week, was troubled by the circumstance that led to his death. "I'm very distressed that he would be restrained for an hour and a half."

"When we work with children, what we're trying to do is provide the assistance they need," the judge said. "Certainly the last thing that we want to do is to do harm."

? Staff writer Craig Schneider

contributed to this article.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 12:12:00 AM »
This is outrageous - it looks as though they were starving the children for misbehaving. Then to lay on this little boy for an hour and half. The courts must take some of the blame because they are still ordering children into these facilities.  

Education is that which remains, if one has forgotten everything he learned in school.
--Albert Einstein, Out of My Later Years, 1950

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 03:42:00 AM »
This is utter bullshit, but what I wonder is if its Georgia or NC that runs this.

I live in NC.

This is a total outrage. I hope the fuck who suffocated a child actually gets prosecuted instead of just swept under the rug.

Edit: I've actually done a little Judo and Juu-jutsu. Restraining someone like that is simply ridiculous and dangerous as hell. Doing that to someone who doesnt know how to handle restraint and breath control is very prone to panic and self injury... and its excessive, both in how extreme it was and in duration.

They're using it as psychological and physical punishment. And someone with behavior probs should'nt be out in the damn woods anwyay! I'd love to see those counselors get dogpiled by some guys from a Judo or Juujutsu class for a hour so they can see how it feels!  

Everything that people say to you is personal. Whether it is constructive criticism or not will determine whether it cam from and asshole or not.

----Bill Warbis

[ This Message was edited by: Nihilanthic on 2005-05-09 00:44 ]
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Invertix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 03:58:00 AM »
It's interesting to see the correlation between the state run programs and abuses. First it was Maryland and now this. It sickens me to say this but perhaps on the whole the corporate run programs are more progressive. :scared:

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 04:59:00 AM »
"Break them down/ build them up" is something ingrained into our society.

Its going to take a lot of evidence to stop that kind of social inertia.

I don't think we're here for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch.
--Dr. James Watson, American biologist

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 06:52:00 AM »
It was state run, not wwasp

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 08:31:00 AM »
On 2005-05-09 03:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It was state run, not wwasp"

Who said anything about WWASP?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
Not only was he denied food as punishment and subjected to a fatal basket hold, he was denied his emergency inhaler.

Boy's pleas for aid denied
Inhaler withheld, restrained teen died

By CRAIG SCHNEIDER [email protected], JILL YOUNG MILLER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/07/05
A 13-year-old Douglas County boy who died after being restrained at a camp for troubled youngsters asked counselors for his asthma inhaler while he was held down, but no one gave it to him, state records show.

A Department of Human Resources report on the April 20 incident said Travis Parker asked for his inhaler during the first 10 to 15 minutes of the restraint, which lasted about an hour and a half. But because the boy was not wheezing or showing signs of an asthmatic attack, camp counselors said, they did not provide him with it, the report said.

(ENLARGE)
Travis Parker, 13, went limp while being restrained at a state-run therapeutic camp. Counselors' reports say he had been belligerent until then.

EMAIL THIS
PRINT THIS
MOST POPULAR

Travis went limp during the restraint and counselors could not feel his pulse, the records show. He died the next day at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston, after being taken off life support.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is looking into the incident, which occurred at the Appalachian Wilderness Camp, an outdoor therapeutic program operated by the DHR in the North Georgia mountains. The results of an autopsy are pending.

On Friday, the boy's family made their first public statement since his death.

"The family of Travis Parker is devastated and outraged by his passing at such a tender age and in such a horrendous manner," said the statement provided by attorney Michael Tyler.

The boy's grandmother, Golden Griffin, who had been raising Travis, is in a state of "profound shock and grief," the statement said.

"The family of Travis Parker expected that at the Appalachian Wilderness camp, Travis would receive nurturing and support," the statement said. "Instead, sadly it appears the young Travis Parker received brutality and death."

The DHR file on the boy, obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution through the state Open Records law, contains a detailed account of the incident compiled by Sarah Hopper, consumer protection manager for the agency's North Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Addictive Diseases. The account is based on interviews with counselors involved in the incident and children who witnessed it.

The report says that one counselor, a certified wilderness emergency medical technician, "saw no indication of an asthmatic attack so did not break the hold in order to give Travis his inhaler."

"He was laughing, screaming and yelling. He had a history of asking for his inhaler when in a hold. He was not wheezing."

Counselors told Hopper that the boy had used his inhaler only once since he had begun the camp two months before.

Dr. Amy Hirsh, of the Peachtree Allergy and Asthma Clinic in Atlanta, would not comment on the incident specifically, but said: "Untrained medical professionals should not make a judgment call on whether a patient needs his or her rescue inhaler or not. If a child asks for a rescue inhaler, they should be given it immediately without questioning whether they need it or not."

Ten children witnessed the boy's restraint, the DHR file said. Some of the boys who were there said that when Travis went limp the counselors said, "He is playing the dead fish game, he's faking."

Counselors, who provided handwritten accounts of the incident, say they repeatedly checked to ensure the boy was being restrained correctly. He continued to violently resist, they said.

The boy was placed in a "full basket restraint," a separate incident report by the state Department of Juvenile Justice said. He was held face down on the ground. His arms were crossed in front of him and held from behind by one counselor, the incident report said. He was forced to the ground, where another counselor held his legs and another counselor held his hips, the report said.

The juvenile justice agency doesn't allow the method of face-down restraint used by the counselors because it can restrict breathing.

One counselor wrote that he checked Travis' breathing and circulation several times during the restraint. At one point, he said, another counselor tried to remove a rock that Travis said was hurting his head. The boy bit his hand, the counselor said.

Another counselor said in his account that a blanket was placed under Travis to make him more comfortable during the hold.

At 11 p.m., he said, the boy was still fighting.

At 11:30 p.m., another counselor reported, "Travis stops responding and is released from restraint."

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:4s ... p%22&hl=en

This one claims he had a 'history' of asking for his inhaler when he didn't need it.  :roll:
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledg ... 591143.htm
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »
Once again I am shocked and apalled that such ignorant buffons could be put in charge of other people.

I would expect any half educated average citizen to understand you don't seperate an asmatic from their inhaler - ever!

How could state paid counselors not know this?

There is no excuse - None.

This is man slaughter at the very least and I do expect Georga to charge them. You GA folks need to get to writing letters.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 11:28:00 AM »
On 2005-05-09 00:42:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"This is utter bullshit, but what I wonder is if its Georgia or NC that runs this.

I live in NC.

This is a total outrage. I hope the fuck who suffocated a child actually gets prosecuted instead of just swept under the rug.

Edit: I've actually done a little Judo and Juu-jutsu. Restraining someone like that is simply ridiculous and dangerous as hell. Doing that to someone who doesnt know how to handle restraint and breath control is very prone to panic and self injury... and its excessive, both in how extreme it was and in duration.

They're using it as psychological and physical punishment. And someone with behavior probs should'nt be out in the damn woods anwyay! I'd love to see those counselors get dogpiled by some guys from a Judo or Juujutsu class for a hour so they can see how it feels!  

Everything that people say to you is personal. Whether it is constructive criticism or not will determine whether it cam from and asshole or not.

----Bill Warbis

[ This Message was edited by: Nihilanthic on 2005-05-09 00:44 ]"

I hold a brown belt in Taekwondo and our dojo teaches it as a mix of Taekwondo and Hapkido.  I studied Hapkido for 3 years, left training for awhile, and then resumed training at our dojo.

I assist in instructing Taekwondo and Hapkido.

I would *never* restrain even a healthy adult with their arms wrapped across their chest for more than two to three minutes as that position collapses the chest.

I would rather risk the joint damage of someone continuing to fight against a properly applied joint lock than restrict someone's breathing.  If you have three people to hold a raging person immobile, there is no excuse for not having one on the legs (thighs) and one on each arm with the arms out flat at 45 degree angles (approximately) to the body.  You have full inhalation and exhalation in that position.  And, of course, no asthmatic should *ever* be denied a rescue inhaler.

*Someone* should at least do jail time for criminal negligence over this.  Either the people doing the restraining, if they were trained better and just stupid, or the people who were criminally negligent in failing to provide proper training if the training was inadequate.

If that hold was "approved" in their training or policy manuals, the person responsible for the approval of that manual should do jail time for criminal negligence.

If their policy stated that rescue inhalers must be provided on request, then the persons doing the restraining should go to jail.

If the policy made provision of a requested inhaler discretionary, then the person responsible for approving that policy should be the one who goes to jail.

I don't know if a DA could prove "depraved indifference" on someone in this, but "criminal negligence" ought to be a lock.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 11:35:00 AM »
On 2005-05-09 03:52:00, Anonymous wrote:

"It was state run, not wwasp"

So?  I don't think *anyone* ever accused WWASPS of having a monopoly on child abuse and neglect.

Many things have been alleged against WWASPS, but I have certainly never heard *that* alleged.

What we have here, I suspect, is yet another case of some ignorant goombah who looks at disabilities (like asthma) as feeble, wimpy excuses for rotten, spoiled brats to demand special treatment.

And probably *still* thinks so even with the kid dead.

Parents of kids with one of the "silent disabilities" run into these kinds of ignoramuses all the time.

Timoclea

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »
I hope that people write letters to the editors of these local newspapers - a little public outrage may make a difference. This is such an outrage - to aubse a child is such a way. What a horrible way to die.  There are no excuses here. This was sadistic torture of a child. This was excessive. I think they purposefully killed him - because this was so excessive.  

Janis, Jimi, Gery, Timothy... Did you HAVE to get so close to the edge to get a really good view?
-- Anonymous

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 12:53:00 PM »
On 2005-05-09 00:58:00, Invertix wrote:

"It's interesting to see the correlation between the state run programs and abuses. First it was Maryland and now this. It sickens me to say this but perhaps on the whole the corporate run programs are more progressive. :scared: "

I don't think so. The money trail of mutual influence goes back 30 years or more. Some of the people who run these programs are extremly powerful politically. Some of them became politically powerful by way of their involvement in these programs. Take Donald Ian MacDonald, for instance. He was just a pedeiatrician in the St. Pete area till he put his son in Mel Sembler's Straight, Inc. program. All of a sudden he's the nation's drug czar.

With soap, baptism is a good thing.
--Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »
I sent a copy of this article to my contacts and here is one responce. I think this goes to show the prevailing attitude regarding program teens - most people including the authorities think they are criminals.....

This is such a sad problem.  But what is to be done with teens who do
not obey, who commit crimes and cause havok in a family and community?  I think
there is a great need for a solution here.  Jail is an option, but many kids
don't 'qualify' for jail yet, and are just gradually working their way there.
Parents want to 'save' them before they get there.  

What can be done?  Any ideas?  Perhaps greater government controls on these teen
programs?  I think you should look into this, and make these programs SAFE for
teens.  

How do kids get SOOO messed up in the first place?  I'm sure many are just born
with rebellion in them.  I don't know.  I've heard that love saves children and guides them right, or eventually brings them back.  Can this be taught to all parents in the world?
Wouldn't it be great...

With soap, baptism is a good thing.
--Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »
People do need to write letters to the editors of the local papers to keep the heat on this program. Hopefully it will get shut down. Any sample letters????