Author Topic: Survivor -- Chuck Palahniuk  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Survivor -- Chuck Palahniuk
« on: May 01, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »

If you don't own this novel you're either living in a cave in a third world country, dirty and illiterate, banging rocks together to spark a fire or you're a vacuous zombie clogging the arteries of Los Angeles and spouting useless movie trivia and self-loathing while daydreaming that your particular brand of 'talent' will catapult you higher than Ben Affleck in a summer blockbuster. In other words, you need to buy this novel or kill yourself immediately.

Speaking of killing yourself, Tender Branson is the only living survivor of a cult that make the Amish look almost Mormon and make Donny Osmand look like Ron Jeremy. He narrates the details of the story into the black box of the airline he has hijacked starting at chapter forty-seven and counting down to impact at ground zero. Along the way we meet his love interest, Fertility Hollis, who is a professional surrogate scam artist and full time psychic who can, like Cassandra, only see disasters. We also meet his older brother, Adam Branson, whose whistle blowing leads the cult to command the mass suicide of all of it's members. Tender goes from running a pro-suicide hotline and being a live in maid to a couple of brainless yuppies to a living legend, miracle worker/media icon to a hunted mass killer throughout. Once again, as in Fight Club, Chuck is on his mark and keeping us on our toes. Other novels by this author include, Invisible Monsters, Choke, and the soon to be released Lullaby.

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/survivorbook.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 07:31:00 PM »
looking forward to reading it.  love his work

rtp2k3

Offline demonandmonk

• View Profile
    • http://www.demonandmonk.com
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »
Chuck is a little odd - and has had a tough life. His sister was my dad's 3rd wife. Not long before my father died, so did Chuck's. His father was seeing a woman, and they went to stay at a remote cabin, as she was being stalked by her former husband. The guy tracked them down, burned the cabin to the ground with the couple inside. Yuck. It'll probably end up in book of his sometime.
ww.demonandmonk.com

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 11:56:00 PM »
Ironically, the woman that was killed with Chuck's dad was my husband's best friend's wife's mother.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »
I just realized how old that review is. Lullaby is out and so is Diary.

I finished it tonight, I liked it a lot.