Author Topic: ABC Brat Camp  (Read 37649 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »
Can't you just hear the ed cons and referral agencies sales pitch right now ...

"As seen in ABC's BRAT CAMP, these wilderness camps are the hottest thing since eatable underwear..."

Sign up today ... don't delay.  These camps are filling up so fast it could be years before we can save your kid's life ... and by that time, they could be an adult ... and then it's too late.

LMAO ... and there lies the irony.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
These camps are filling up so fast it could be years before we can save your kid's life

Too true.  When the first Brat Camp was aired in Britain RedCliff Ascent had a six month waiting list overnight.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »
Sweetie,
53 teens have died (read: been killed) in wilderness/boot camps. That alone would be reason to 'bad mouth' the industry. You may find that an acceptable 'risk'. Many do not. Oregon wilderness programs don't have the best track record.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=10#49931

Sagewalk's record is questionable:
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... rt=0#81232
Yes, Sagewalk employed Aaron Bacon's murderer, Eric Henry during a 9 month diversion agreement following Bacon's death. He was supposed to refrain from involvement in similar programs for pay. He left, when found-out and went on to Obsidian Trails where another death occured.
http://www.contac.org/contaclibrary/tragedy28.htm
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... art=0#5214

Mark Wardle, who was responsible for the death of Ian August at Skyline Journey, was also employed by Sage Walk.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... rt=0#63079

Wardle also worked at Brown School's 'On Track' where Charles Moody was killed.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... art=0#5214

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?So ... =9&start=0

I noticed that staff are extremely 'toned down' in terms of the typical 'bait and punish' MO. On another day, at SW or any other program, in would not be uncommon for Larry (the ticking time bomb) to be harrassed until restraint became 'necessary'. I didn't see that happen last night. Best case, SW 'might' learn that bait and punish is not necessary, if indeed this kid gets anything at all out of the experience.

And the pathetic Impact Letters. Give me a break. That's not 'therapy', it's guilt, shame and manipulation. If I were the kid's counselor I'd advise the kid to reciprocate with their own Impact Letter-
"I wouldn't spend your 'hard earned money' and act as if it grew on trees if you hadn't conditioned me to believe that. You 'spoiled' me. I didn't ask you to. I resent you for sending me to the desert as punishment."
"I'm hyper because I'm BORED as hell. Our family life is boring. School is boring. You never required me to make a contribution, and then punish me for not contributing. I might have benefited from mowing, raking, washing the car, taking out the trash, hiking/biking for pleasure."

A lot of focus on Jada's lying. No focus on the two who taught her well? Isn't it a lie to deny a child accurate information about their relationship with others? To lead him/her to believe that they should receive anything they want with no expectation? These parents obviously got confused- you give love unconditionally, not material possessions.

When do the parents go to boot camp? When do they hear all the reasons their kid is angry, bored, hopeless, scared? This 'therapy' reeks of double standard. The parents can be lame, show no respect but expect it, neglect the kid's real needs, and then pay to have them tortured into compliance- to 'act' with respect.
This is undesirable authoritarian, top down, control; lauded as 'therapy'. The parents should be right there with the teens, sleeping in freezing weather, no hygiene, pathetic food, using a latrine, hiking with packs equal to 1/3 of their body weight, publicly divulging their wrongs. They are equally responsible for their kid's distress and skewed perceptions of reality, if not more so.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
You are absolutely right Deb! When are the parents going to be incarcerated????!!!!!

I remember during my 2 year stint in "treatment" I constanlty heard how substance abuse was a family problem. In the 80s there was a big craze about "enablers" and how they contributed to the family member's substance abuse. Why should the families have the luxury of living free in the outside world? I bet most of those parents are "dysfunctional" as well so I say if they truly believe in these places than go ahead and sign your rights away on the dotted line and live just like the child does.

I hope future generations will look back on the acceptance of these shows and places as something that is shameful and to never be repeated.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »
http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org/foreveryoung.html

Impact letters written by the mothers of Ian August, Michelle Sutton and Aaron Bacon.

You wanna talk "impact"?

Imagine being the parent of a child who comes home in a body bag from a wilderness therapy camp?

SHAME ON ABC for not even having the decency to honor the children who died in the name of therapy.

THESE CHILDREN HAVE NAMES.  THEY HAVE FACES. THEY WERE BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN.  THEIR PARENTS WERE LIED TO AND PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE.

http://www.teenadvocatesusa.org/wildernesstherapy.html

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »
Deborah

I posted your post on struggleing teens as a argument against brat camp, thanks for the stuff.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2005, 03:31:00 PM »
On 2005-07-14 10:02:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Can't you just hear the ed cons and referral agencies sales pitch right now ...

"As seen in ABC's BRAT CAMP, these wilderness camps are the hottest thing since eatable underwear..."

Sign up today ... don't delay.  These camps are filling up so fast it could be years before we can save your kid's life ... and by that time, they could be an adult ... and then it's too late.

LMAO ... and there lies the irony.

"

If you think about it, the teen help industry has done a good job bullshitting parents into believing time is of the essence (in terms of intervening in the life of an at-risk teen) when in reality, what the programs are REALLY worried about is the kid turning 18, the legal age in most states where it would require a COURT ORDER to force an unwilling teen into one of these programs.

It's all about the magic number 18.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2005, 03:31:00 PM »
Great! I've been banned from there for a long time. I can read, just can't post. Let me know how long it stays up. I'll give it to the end of the business day.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »
Well I took out the last paragraph, im sorry but I would of gotten baned for that, and I did not want that. I'm turning these peoples lives and views upside down by questioning them, and I think some of them are not that bad. I have had good conversations with two of them, they were just deceaved I think. I'm really enjoying fighting some of them though.
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »
A lot of focus on Jada's lying. No focus on the two who taught her well? Isn't it a lie to deny a child accurate information about their relationship with others? To lead him/her to believe that they should receive anything they want with no expectation? These parents obviously got confused- you give love unconditionally, not material possessions.

Didn't Jada's parents lie to Jada to get her to go to SW.  Even if they didn't, some of the other parents on the show last night lied to their kids about where they were going.  Sagewalk and the couselors didn't seem to think twice about that.  I sure didn't hear them talk to the parents about their problem with lieing. NO, only Jada's lieing is wrong.  What a bunch of crap.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2005, 05:20:00 PM »
On 2005-07-13 23:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

I find this to be a very enlightening documentary.

One born every minute, I suppose.

This is not an enlightening documentary. This is blatant propaganda, advertisement, bullshit! Let me ask you something, when you see an Florida OJ commercial, do you honestly believe that your orange juice was hand squeezed for you by a friendly old farmer? Want to know the reality? Of course you don't! It might make you uncomfortable about purchasing and consuming OJ. And we mustn't have that!!

:roll:

There is no devil and no hell. Thy soul will be dead even sooner than thy body: fear therefore nothing any more.
--Freidrich Nietzsche, German philosopher

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
We watched this last night with mixed feelings. It all comes down to the "hyperactive" fourteen year old. First off, I don't believe that pharaceutical meds are the answer to anything. ADHD existed far before the corporations decided to label and milk it for untold billions of dollars at the expense of anquished parents. As far as Sagewalk goes, we pretty much agreed that it seems awfully weird in a cultish sort of way.

Earth names? Horrible, silly, and undermining any sense of seriousness. "Hey Round Boulder, I just talked to Raven Mother and Wild Cougar and they said etc etc blah blah blah..."  

Phantom Dook? What are they, in preschool? Why not say "Some nasty naughty person made an smelly oopsie last night. Bad bad bad!" Does the Pope shit in the woods? Of course, just like how the bear wears a silly hat.

And all those "counselors" look like exactly the type of people that I DON'T want to ever come across in the great outdoors. They all seem a little too programmed and serious, which made them come off as pretty damn creepy. I don't think I saw any of them smile or laugh the entire two hours. Are they not supposed to show emotion? It'd be like camping with a bunch of Vulcans, except I wouldn't expect to wake up in the middle of the night to find Spock or T'pol staring at me all creepy like. We couldn't help but wonder aloud if there was any sort of "fraternization" amongst the slutty teens and the rugged counselors in the privacy of the open desert. Granted, I didn't know anything about kids dying in these sort of survival camp programs, but that only makes it worse.

I may not have all the answers when it comes to dealing with problem children, but this whole Brat Camp thing was very misleading and puts off a very unsettling vibe. Too bad most Americans won't recognize that.

Bottom line, shame on ABC for stooping to FOX tv's depths of shamelessness in the name of ratings. Too bad, so sad.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »
On 2005-06-04 00:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Just wanted to point out that it appears you are confusing TWO DIFFERENT TELEVISION SHOWS.  

The original "Brat Camp" was an English show featuring SIX familes who sent their kids to a 'bootcamp' in the States...it won some awards in Europe, and had a repeat airing several months ago on the ABC Family Channel (hence the confusion).

The UPCOMING "BRAT CAMP" is produced by Shapiro/Grodner Productions and sends NINE kids to a camp in Oregon called Sagewalk, which, for the record, is NOT a bootcamp...but is indeed an award winning wilderness therapy program, where certified clinical therapists try to help troubled teens deal with the difficult issues of their lives.  No one is yelling at these kids or telling them to "drop and give me 20!"  No double-speak intended, it just may be that your definition of a "bootcamp" is different than mine.  

This new "BRAT CAMP" is a well-made, uplifting and emotional series...and you might want to watch an episode or two before making premature judgements based on incomplete 'research.'  

I'm not trying to brainwash you or anything...it's just that you might actually like it!  I hope you do anyway.  It was a labor of love for all involved.  And I'm very proud of this show.

Sincerely,

John Platt

Co-Executive Producer, "Brat Camp" (the new American one...!)"

Hi John,

The majority of posters on this site are HELL BENT against ANY kind of treatment programs for teens, because they are ALL abusive, torturous, money hungry places (lol).  SO, don't expect to have to many intelligent replies to your posts.  Most of the posters either never finished/completed the program they were in, or they backslid afterwards and want to blame ALL the wrongs in their lives on the program they were in as a teen (which they HAD to do SOMETHING to get to a point where their parents went to these lengths to help them). Sad, but true.
  Brat Camp was very interesting to watch, and I think these kids CAN get a LOT out of their experince there, that can help them to deal with life constructively as opposed to lying, drugging and being nasty and violent.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2005, 07:58:00 PM »
There are a LOT more ungrateful, disrespectful, greedy and unresponsible kids out there who could USE a good couple months of no "recreation", and material things to get their attitudes in CHECK.

Camping, working, walking daily is NOT abuse.  Get off your high horses.
  Maybe they should send all these kids to you since YOU are the experts. That would open your eyes.
  It's not punishment.  It's good old fashioned WORK and focus.  ALL can benefit from that.  Maybe you all should try it now.  Bet it would change your perspectives (and you need it).

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2005, 08:28:00 PM »
On 2005-07-14 16:58:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

There are a LOT more ungrateful, disrespectful, greedy and unresponsible kids out there who could USE a good couple months of no "recreation", and material things to get their attitudes in CHECK.

Camping, working, walking daily is NOT abuse.  Get off your high horses.

Maybe they should send all these kids to you since YOU are the experts. That would open your eyes.

It's not punishment.  It's good old fashioned WORK and focus.  ALL can benefit from that.  Maybe you all should try it now.  Bet it would change your perspectives (and you need it)."

Gee, you first. I've already done that and you are so right! My perspective has changed! I have seen the light! These places are abusive.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.